Why do turrets gain aggro?

in Engineer

Posted by: Tharjax.9068

Tharjax.9068

Maybe I am doing something wrong but I am looking for some advice.

Anytime I try and use a turret it always gains aggro and gets destroyed within roughly 3 hits.

I don’t see the use in these if they get destroyed so easily and don’t have a chance to do any damage or what not.

Is this normal? Is there a way that I can take aggro off the turret?

Thanks for the help!

in Engineer

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

It is normal. It sucks, but it’s normal.

As for getting aggro off the turret, I’m not sure. You could try predeploying it before a battle so that the enemy aggros onto you first.

I think the “hate” mechanic is also tied into toughness, so you could try to boost your toughness and see if that helps.

Otherwise, you can take some traits to make the turrets a bit better, but I haven’t used them too extensively to comment based on experience.

in Engineer

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

It is normal. It sucks, but it’s normal.

As for getting aggro off the turret, I’m not sure. You could try predeploying it before a battle so that the enemy aggros onto you first.

I think the “hate” mechanic is also tied into toughness, so you could try to boost your toughness and see if that helps.

Otherwise, you can take some traits to make the turrets a bit better, but I haven’t used them too extensively to comment based on experience.

yesterday in WvW EB a few of us were doing the harpy killing at the ogres.
We hit the Champion Harpy in the process. I shot it several times, threw freeze grenades on it, even my grenade barrage.
It moved to me, and I deployed my healing turret, realising I could be in some trouble, or a team mate who would not move fast enough.

I have 3k armor by the way, little over 2k toughness. That may be why the Harpy came for me, but it should also make sure the harpy does NOT stop to kill my fresh turret.

The Champion Harpy stopped at the turret, hit it, one shot kill… and than proceeded my direction.

This goes exactly against even what the dev’s said in the State of the Game end April.
I think it was Jon who said that in pve nothing would attack that turret…

Turrets have aggro issues.
And they have targeting issues.
And health issues.

Aside that, they might be ok.

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

in Engineer

Posted by: Chaotic Storm.2815

Chaotic Storm.2815

oh its simple, the turrets are intimdating…. if you get close enough you can hear them talking about the mobs momma’s

#ELEtism

in Engineer

Posted by: Spart.6578

Spart.6578

This goes exactly against even what the dev’s said in the State of the Game end April.

And health issues.

Don’t forget hitbox issues. They have some pretty big ones making them take unnecessary AoE damage.

in Engineer

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

And health issues.

Don’t forget hitbox issues. They have some pretty big ones making them take unnecessary AoE damage.

Very true, but I think we all agree that is not a design issue as such, but a simple bug introduced with the latest changes.
it’s very important as you say. But my points were about how the turrets were working by design.
Let’s hope this hitbox isn’t a deliberate choice.

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Anytime I try and use a turret it always gains aggro and gets destroyed within roughly 3 hits.

I don’t see the use in these if they get destroyed so easily and don’t have a chance to do any damage or what not.

Thanks for the help!

It’s definitely not you. They just haven’t learned from mmo history yet. Games with pets like these have implemented a 90% AOE damage immunity to pets as a whole that Anet hasn’t done yet for whatever reason just for this problem because in those games players would use AOE’s exclusively in fights and bosses would take down pets in an instant making pet heavy builds impossible to use. If it were truly about choices we’d see this immediately but it’s not apparently you can’t play the way you want and alot of us have big issues with this. It doesn’t help that the three weakest classes of the game in PVE just happen to use pets.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Engineer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Yea I’ve been desperately wanting to bring the improved Healing Turret into dungeons with me. I like to support my teammates when I can and HT does it nicely. The idea was to drop it and spam its overcharge on cooldown to trigger my Altruism runes too. ’Course, it just dies before I can get a 2nd overcharge off. So instead I either drop>overcharge>detonate and wait the long duration or bring medpack and spam it to death and spread might/fury.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Engineer

Posted by: Reinforcments.5713

Reinforcments.5713

I actually don’t think it’s unreasable for mobs to take out anything that would support a player. Seems pretty smart on their AI to take out the “healer” first.

But yeah I would like to see better hitbox improvment on my turrets other than just eating it every 20 seconds.

in Engineer

Posted by: Kalan.9705

Kalan.9705

Thanks for the help!

It’s just really horrible design. It’s been really horrible design since beta1 (which was more like alpha 0.1 for engineer). For some reason we cannot get the devs to understand some basics of why turrets suck, they just seem totally blind to turret problems (and pretty much any engineer problems tbh we even have to post our bugs in theif forums etc to actually get any attention).

in Engineer

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

Thanks for the help!

It’s definitely not you. They just haven’t learned from mmo history yet. Games with pets like these have implemented a 90% AOE damage immunity to pets as a whole that Anet hasn’t done yet for whatever reason just for this problem because in those games players would use AOE’s exclusively in fights and bosses would take down pets in an instant making pet heavy builds impossible to use. If it were truly about choices we’d see this immediately but it’s not apparently you can’t play the way you want and alot of us have big issues with this. It doesn’t help that the three weakest classes of the game in PVE just happen to use pets.

Technically speaking, all attacks in the game are AoE. If I swing my sword in front of me, it effectively creates an AoE that will hit anything within it (possibly up to a certain limit). This differs from more traditional MMOs that do not allow you the freedom GW2 does with attack, which means a traditional MMO probably has a much easier time differentiating between AoE and non-AoE attacks.

in Engineer

Posted by: Nilix.2170

Nilix.2170

oh its simple, the turrets are intimdating…. if you get close enough you can hear them talking about the mobs momma’s

Healing Turret: EY YO, TEE TEE!
Thumper Turret: WASSUP, HT!
Rocket Turret: SUP HT, HOW YOU FEELIN’
HT: FEELIN FOR A HEALIN’, ROCKY. YO, YOU HEARD WHAT THEY SAID ABOUT RISEN ABOMINATION’S MOMMA?
TT: NAH, FILL ME IN.
HT: MAN, I HEARD HIS MOMMA’S SOOO FAT, THEY MISTOOK HER FOR A BUNKER BUILD.
RT: SHE’S SO UGLY THAT WHEN ZHAITAN’S WILL BROUGHT EVERYONE BACK, ZHAITAN HAD TO CREATE A NEW CATEGORY FOR HER CALLED “ZHAITAN WON’T.”
HT:SHE’S SO HUNGRY I BET SHE COULD BEAT THE MOUTH AT AN EATING CONTEST.
TT: YO MAN, HIS MOMMA’S SO HEAVY, WHEN I USED MY OVERCHARGE, I KNOCKED MYSELF BACK.

RT: MOMMA’S SO WIDE, THAT WHEN AN ENGINEER THROWS GRENADES AT MAX RANGE, ALL OF THREE OF THEM HIT!
TT: I DON’T KNOW MAN. SHE’S SO ROUND THEY JUST MIGHT BOUNCE BACK AND HIT HIM IN THE FACE!
HT: HIS MOMMA’S SO STUPID, IF YOU PUT CONFUSION ON HER, SHE WOULDN’T TAKE DAMAGE.
RT: Why’s that?
HT: CUZ SHE AINT GOT NO SKILLS
TT: OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH-

And then Healing Turret was taken out in a frenzy attack. Thumper and Rocket, knowing the end was nigh, detonated themselves, providing AOE Healing before the worst could happen.

Mortar Shot is STILL nerfed by 28%
Purity of Purpose

in Engineer

Tharjax.9068

Ok so one option I think if the devs don’t want to fix turrets is to at least have the turrets on a faster cooldown?

If I could re-deploy my turret after like 10 seconds, that would be fantastic. They could nerf the detonate turret ability so you couldn’t spam it, just make it have a longer cool down timer.

in Engineer

Tharjax.9068

HT: FEELIN FOR A HEALIN’, ROCKY. YO, YOU HEARD WHAT THEY SAID ABOUT RISEN ABOMINATION’S MOMMA?
RT: SHE’S SO UGLY THAT WHEN ZHAITAN’S WILL BROUGHT EVERYONE BACK, ZHAITAN HAD TO CREATE A NEW CATEGORY FOR HER CALLED “ZHAITAN WON’T.”
TT: YO MAN, HIS MOMMA’S SO HEAVY, WHEN I USED MY OVERCHARGE, I KNOCKED MYSELF BACK.

RT: MOMMA’S SO WIDE, THAT WHEN AN ENGINEER THROWS GRENADES AT MAX RANGE, ALL OF THREE OF THEM HIT!
TT: I DON’T KNOW MAN. SHE’S SO ROUND THEY JUST MIGHT BOUNCE BACK AND HIT HIM IN THE FACE!
HT: HIS MOMMA’S SO STUPID, CONFUSION MADE HER GAIN HP!
TT: GOOD THING THEY NERF’D IT.
RT: LIKE HIS MOMMA!
HT: OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH-

And then Healing Turret was taken out in a frenzy attack. Thumper and Rocket, knowing the end was nigh, detonated themselves, providing AOE Healing before the worst could happen.

oh my lol…

in Engineer

Posted by: Zenguy.6421

Zenguy.6421

You da man, Nilix. Yo da man!

in Engineer

Posted by: Raestloz.7134

Raestloz.7134

HT: HIS MOMMA’S SO STUPID, IF YOU PUT CONFUSION ON HER, SHE WOULDN’T TAKE DAMAGE.
RT: Why’s that?
HT: CUZ SHE AINT GOT NO SKILLS
TT: OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH-

I NEED THIS ON MY SIGGY NAO!