Why engineer can't be meele class?

in Engineer

Posted by: kristof.7182

kristof.7182

Engineer is my main character, but I’m bored of him.
I can only have range build and the best are for grenades.

From Adventurer, Ranger and Thief are good at melee and range. We’re good only at range.

Guardian and warrior: Range/melee build
Ranger/Thief: Range/melee build
Elementalist have conjured weapon.

Why we don’t have mace or hammer weapon? Can you imagine you engineer with mace+shield or hammer?

@Sorry for “meele” in topic title.

(edited by kristof.7182)

in Engineer

Posted by: McClueless.1974

McClueless.1974

The day engineers get hammers I’m putting my juggernaut on him. Just because.

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

I don’t know why we don’t have one for the simple fact that there’s plenty of enemies with Reflect or Absorb Projectiles effects. Even in areas where it’s unlikely for the user to have the Toolkit or Bomb Kit, there’s enemies like that – but some fool thought it a good idea to limit a class to only Projectiles. Really a great idea.

As for whether I can imagine it: I can. Quite well, in fact. I snag an Elementalist’s Lightning Hammer whenever I get the chance, and it just looks right.

in Engineer

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

Just go HAM with toolkit yo! Wack those baddies! >.<

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

Just go HAM with toolkit yo! Wack those baddies! >.<

And this is probably what a good chunk of the replies to this will consist of.
The implications thereof, in summary: “We don’t need melee weapons, we have a Tier 2 and Tier 3 skill that aren’t Projectiles. Use those. Regardless of your build. Or your other skills. Or just redo your entire build to use these.”

I am really bloody tired of seeing people just go “Use these Kits, we don’t need melee weapons,” if you can’t tell. We can’t switch weapons if we don’t use Kits, we can’t do non-reflectable attacks if we don’t use Kits (barring very, very few of our non-Kit weapon skills), and apparently the tendency is to go “That’s perfectly fine, everyone should use Kits anyway.”

(edited by Anymras.5729)

in Engineer

Posted by: Florgknight.1589

Florgknight.1589

Bombs. Bombs everywhere. Maces and hammers are for jerks who win by stunning you consecutively, not by good play.

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

Well, now we’ve got “Melee weapons are for bad players,” that’s a new one.

in Engineer

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Pistols/shield/rifles are the engineer’s side weapons. Our real weapon sets are here:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Weapon_kit
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Device_kit

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in Engineer

Posted by: Earthrune.6730

Earthrune.6730

Pistols/shield/rifles are the engineer’s side weapons. Our real weapon sets are here:

Thanks I am new to the game and the Engineer class is my main. This helped in skill choice

in Engineer

Posted by: Assassin.7890

Assassin.7890

Support the case Hammer

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

Our real weapon sets. Yes. That’s why you can build in several ways without including a single one of them. Real shining example of game design, that, making a series of skills we can go our entire in-game careers without ever using our ‘real weapon sets.’

I play a Turret engineer. Or, well, did – the massive amount of bugs afflicting the skillsets has driven me to Gadgets. No build I have used for long has used Kits. If they’re what we’re supposed to be using, that shouldn’t be possible.

(edited by Anymras.5729)

in Engineer

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

Just grab a wrench and start beating people over the head with it.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ameno.6813

Ameno.6813

Only good at range? You’ve obviously never used bombs. They require a lot more skill to be effective with than grenades though.

in Engineer

Posted by: Dolt.2731

Dolt.2731

Bombs, tk, ft all have great in your face combat skills. The rifle is also quite efficient in close quarters… and elixer X juggernaut is 30 secs of fighting with your bare hands. Do you actually think we cannot spec for melee or just really really want a mace/ hammer for engi? ;p

Ebenezer Smee, Ranger SBI

in Engineer

Posted by: JohnDied.3476

JohnDied.3476

I can see it now; Anet gives engineers hammers as useable weapons, every engineer complains about how guard/warrior hammers do more damage/have more utility.

Everyone ignores engi-hammers until they get buffed several months later (for PvP reasons).

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

I can tell you right now, I’d use it. Wouldn’t even complain about it. I’d be glad to not shoot myself in the face while fighting Earth Elementals or give the Champion Giant Ooze in Metrica extra damage to nigh-on one-shot me with.

in Engineer

Posted by: kristof.7182

kristof.7182

Eh… by “melee combat” I think: “grab a wrench and start beating people over the head with it”.
FT, EG, Bombs for melee combat? Are you just hating or it wasn’t obvious for you?

@JohnDied
Are you surprise? I want to play with my turret, but I can’t. They have very small hp, they can’t move and have funny damage. I have 4 options:

- lame in WvW, PvP, PvE,
- change my class,
- exit the game,
- join to winning train (grenades)

I want to play this game and I want to play my engi, so I have only one option, last one.

(edited by kristof.7182)

in Engineer

Posted by: Thaladred.1406

Thaladred.1406

Grenades aren’t the only viable kit to use, seriously. Even if bombs don’t fit your image of melee they’re still up close and hit really hard, especially with the recent changes. You don’t even have to aim with them, just walk up to someone and spam 1-2, and with forceful explosives you can avoid damage pretty easily in boss fights while remaining close enough to receive buffs and give combo fields to the party

(edited by Thaladred.1406)

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

Rifle is kinda melee, Pistol 2 too, bombs, grenades can be short range, elixier gun has it’s melee uses too. Just stay in the middle of the enemy and spam all the blinds you got, fire fields and all the combo finishers.
→ Big Ol’Keg
→ Fire Bomb
→ Shield 4
→ Elixier Gun 4
And everyone’s got a very long lasting 9 stack of might.

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Engineer

Posted by: headshocked.3507

headshocked.3507

i’m currently running a turret/tool kit build because I don’t like to be bomb/‘nade dependent to deal damage. as Anymras said we engineers get into trouble when someone reflects our shots AND turrest are still too much bugged. Tool kit does it’s job really well but it wouldn’t be so bad having a 4th usable weapon like Hammer. i tried many times to create builds without certain kits and it’s often non convenient. Maybe hammer could have rocket based attacks that deal fire condition.
I have created a topic with some of my suggestion for arenanet
(url) Future-skills-and-changes-suggestion
I’d like to see the community share their toughts on future changes and skills.

in Engineer

Posted by: ellesee.8297

ellesee.8297

occasionally i will run a melee wrench build. i like my 4k, 4k, 6k auto attack chain and my 17k jump shots and that was before modified ammo affected tool kit.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcAQFAUlIqyUX7SyF17IyoHdGpJageAY+1IKqQ+B-jgBBYfAkFAZmFRjtNoIas6aYKXER1A-e

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis

(edited by ellesee.8297)

in Engineer

Posted by: Prism.5649

Prism.5649

TL;DR:
I would love a new melee weapon (definitely a hammer). However just because we don’t have hammers yet does not mean Engineers cannot be a melee class.

I’m laughing at all of the people who say that the Tool Kit and Bomb Kit don’t count because they are kits and not weapons. Let’s get a few things straight:

1. Kits are a powerful mechanic for Engineers, but that does NOT mean they were intended to be a NECESSARY mechanic for Engineers. That’s like saying Necros shouldn’t be able to have builds that don’t involve minions or that Warrior’s shouldn’t be able to have builds that don’t involve banners. Yes kits are very common and are used in MOST successful builds, but there are still builds out there that do not need kits to perform well.

2. Kits ARE weapons. Saying Tool Kit doesn’t count as a melee weapon is just plain silly.

3. While Engineers only have one “smack ’em up” weapon, we have plenty of “melee” weapons. Tool Kit and Bomb Kit require melee range. Flamethrower requires you to be just outside melee range, and Rifle performs best at close range.

4. It’s silly to complain about not having a melee build. Every ranged class in the game can perform just as well at ranged as they can in melee (except for Scope-traited Engis, GS Mesmers, and LB Rangers [but those latter two builds suck anyway so who cares]). You can complain about not having enough ranged options but you can’t really complain about not having enough melee options.

Prismatic Storm: Ele
Prismatic Science: Engi
Prismatic Dream: Mesmer

in Engineer

Posted by: Manuhell.2759

Manuhell.2759

Still, our main weapons are mainly projectile weapons. Thus any build that doesn’t include kits won’t do much versus enemies that reflect projectiles (like earth elementals, for example).
Again, it would seem like kits were designed as the primary mechanic, but still lacking the innate availability (as in, being always available) of the primary mechanic.

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

There aren’t any endgame viable PvE builds without kits tbh. Sure it “works” to play with p/p and hgh but … it’s teamplayunfriendly and ineffective. Every class has their kittenty weapons – ours are the common weapons, and the good weapons are the kits

“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!

in Engineer

Posted by: Aethyl.7519

Aethyl.7519

I, for one, would welcome hammer and maces as weapons for our engineers.

Why ? Many reasons.

First of all, maces could give us power based one handed weapon.
It would open more variety of gameplay, by allowing us to go shield + mace in a power build for example.
Shield trait give us toughness, toughness that can be transmuted into power, so …

And hammers could give us a good CC weapon, since we are supposed to be CC classes, after all, and it could be funny to use too.

About the defenders of the whole “go kits and you can melee” I will just ask one question, wouldn’t you like to have some weapons that would synergise better with such builds and kits ? Having the possibility to get full melee builds could be interesting, by switching between bombs / toolkits / and hammer or maces. It just opens even more variety in our gameplay !

It may just be me, but I don’t understand that argument.

It seems that some people tend to think that hammers and maces could ONLY be used without kits, but that’s not the case, after all.

Edit : And I forgot the last reason, less important to many peoples, but still a valid one.

The endgame of that game is cosmetic. As it stands, we can only have three customised weapons, since our kits always keep the same appearance. And I am not even talking about the hobosacks preventing us to profit from our backpacks.

Maces and Hammers would extend the endgame objectives of many engineers, and it’s not to forget.

(edited by Aethyl.7519)

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

I would really enjoy backpieces affecting kits. For example if you wear a fractale back piece and show it it becomes invisible during the time you are wearing a kit, but the kit has a different appearence in fotm style. Then give us exotic backpieces for 1k dungeon tokens and many different styles – é voilà! I know you like the idea, cuz our kits are sometimes so ugly and won’t fit to our equip at all >_> geometric kits for asura, leafs for sylvari, you know what i mean.

Btw something else: I would not recommend using a rifle in first place, since you are giving away a sigil slot (fail game design). You are either missing battle sigil (6 stacks might permanently since it works on kit switch) or +5% dmg, or bloodlust wich results in a huge buff for bombs and grenades and everything else.

in Engineer

Posted by: JohnDied.3476

JohnDied.3476

Eh… by “melee combat” I think: “grab a wrench and start beating people over the head with it”.
FT, EG, Bombs for melee combat? Are you just hating or it wasn’t obvious for you?

@JohnDied
Are you surprise? I want to play with my turret, but I can’t. They have very small hp, they can’t move and have funny damage. I have 4 options:

- lame in WvW, PvP, PvE,
- change my class,
- exit the game,
- join to winning train (grenades)

I want to play this game and I want to play my engi, so I have only one option, last one.

I’ve done all four of those options (except I’ve always loved grenades, even after the nerf a while back). There’s not much of a choice at this point.

The game’s been out for over a year and it’s clear that Anet have a set way of balancing the class. There’s no use fighting them on it.

So, keep in mind that If we ever do get hammers engis wont be expected to auto-attack with them. It’s kind of forbidden.

in Engineer

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

Obligatory: “A-net has stated they are working on giving all weapons to all classes.”

in Engineer

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

So, keep in mind that If we ever do get hammers engis wont be expected to auto-attack with them. It’s kind of forbidden.

Found your problem, you want to auto-attack to win.

Personally left playing warrior because i found spam 1/2 to win boring. Engie is far from spam 1 to win and has me enjoying the game much more.

in Engineer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

We have the bomb and the tool kit, plus grenades is actually stronger the closer you are. I really don’t see where we’re not a melee class. I rather have the opposite issue. Yes, I can fight at 1500 range with grenades or mortar but they’re both trivial to dodge at that range.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Engineer

Posted by: Manuhell.2759

Manuhell.2759

Because we have no main weapon that isn’t based on projectiles, i would say. Oh, sure, those kits you mention are nice and all…but still, they are kits, not main weapons.
We are basically forced to slot a specific utility just because there is no other way to deal with enemies that can naturally reflect projectiles.
We should have at least a choice in using a melee or a projectile main weapon. Like any other class.

in Engineer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I (and I assume most people who want hammers and/or maces) want them because…

- they’re one more weapon that we can actually customize & not have to use kit skins.
- they, along with TK and bombs, would make us 100% melee with zero range attacks.
- they are only used by the 2 heavy classes and they need more distribution.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Engineer

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Here’s what I want to know: If kits aren’t part of our mechanic, why can’t we have weapon swap? And why do we only have access to three weapons? If we want to have a weapon swap, we have to sacrifice a utility slot for that purpose. Then we get an F skill based on that kit, which kills build diversity because we’re all using the same F skills.

Turrets in no way compensate for a lack of a weapon swap. Our terrible base weapons (one of which (a third!) is exclusively off-hand) don’t off-set the disadvantage, either. We’re losing too much for not enough gain, in my opinion.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

in Engineer

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Anet should add a Sawchain Blade kit

Attachments: