Why no movement buff?

Why no movement buff?

in Engineer

Posted by: ImmortalTHOR.7402

ImmortalTHOR.7402

I know we have speedy kits, which is basically just a poor man’s perma-speed buff, but every other leather wearing profession gets a persistent move speed utility without having to dump trait points. There’s really a simple fix for this in my eyes; add a 25% movement speed bonus to, say, Rocket Boots.

Makes sense, right?

Why no movement buff?

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

Makes sense to me, but you’re going to get a lot of people going “Take Speedy Kits” regardless.

The suggestion of having gadgets be Engineer’s signet-type skill has been around a bit, too. Hasn’t gotten a massive amount of traction, but it’s not unpopular.

Why no movement buff?

in Engineer

Posted by: Stice.5204

Stice.5204

I don’t think having to “dump” 10 trait points and one major trait slot for 100% swiftness uptime is somehow a bad deal for engineers. Most other characters have to devote runes, food buffs and more than 10 trait points to even get close to it.

Rangers and thieves have to dump a utility slot for their movement speed signets, and those are only 25%, not the 33% Speedy Kits gives engineers.

Guardian, Engineer
[SIC] Strident Iconoclast – BP

Why no movement buff?

in Engineer

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

I would prefer power shoes to be a perma 25% uptime, this would allow more builds to be viable without relying on kits. Though Im sure some other class would complain about that idea.

Why no movement buff?

in Engineer

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

I don’t think having to “dump” 10 trait points and one major trait slot for 100% swiftness uptime is somehow a bad deal for engineers. Most other characters have to devote runes, food buffs and more than 10 trait points to even get close to it.

Rangers and thieves have to dump a utility slot for their movement speed signets, and those are only 25%, not the 33% Speedy Kits gives engineers.

and somehow both rangers and thieves are a bit more mobile than the engineer… how is this possible I wonder?

Why no movement buff?

in Engineer

Posted by: Stice.5204

Stice.5204

and somehow both rangers and thieves are a bit more mobile than the engineer… how is this possible I wonder?

I don’t play a thief so I don’t know much about their traits, but I do know that a ranger only covers long distances faster than an engineer when using Swoop and Hornet’s Sting/Monarch’s Leap on cooldown, which is a more restrictive requirement than Speedy Kits and also requires use of the “about face” key, which sometimes lags in WvW and results in you lunging the opposite direction you intended. If you’re not using the sword leaps then you’re slower than an engineer with permanent swiftness.

Now, as to why engineers have so few leap skills, I don’t really know. It’s probably for the same reason rangers have almost no access to blasts. It just gives variety in the strengths of the different classes.

Guardian, Engineer
[SIC] Strident Iconoclast – BP

Why no movement buff?

in Engineer

Posted by: Brew Pinch.5731

Brew Pinch.5731

Speedy kits is brilliant, 10 points in a good trait-line for 33% speed and a free utility slot is a far better deal than the 25% speed from signets . Could not be happier with the speed set-up we have.

Remember, some classes have no access to speed outside one single offhand weapon…

(edited by Brew Pinch.5731)

Why no movement buff?

in Engineer

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

I disagree.
Utility slow is better since one can swap it for running to a fight and then swap to whatever else. If you run 5 minutes with 1 click at the start to switch to the utility then 1 click at the end to swap it out = much better than to click twice every 5 seconds for a kitten buff. That`s 30 Times less clicking.

plus:

the Utility slot is Available for all specs / builds.
vs
10 points spent just to run faster ?

again I would chose Utility slot any day.

(edited by rogerwilko.6895)

Why no movement buff?

in Engineer

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

It is my opinion that every profession should have a utility skill that gives them 25% speedbuff.
A simple, straigth forward, all-round speedboost. That doesnt require any traits to be sacrificed at all.

Why no movement buff?

in Engineer

Posted by: vinceftw.5086

vinceftw.5086

10/70 trait points equals around 14% of what you give up. A utility slot is 33% of what you give up (since you can only have 3). In my build I take 20 in tools anyway. I like it this way. With only two slots I would feel really limited in my choices.

On the other hand, I hope they do release it just for the other guys that want. I won’t be using it.

Elxyria – Engineer / Deluzio – Mesmer
Quickblade Vince – Thief
The Asurnator – Elementalist

Why no movement buff?

in Engineer

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

I have no problem with it unless a-net counts it as a balance issue. then I much prefer my speedy kits.

Why no movement buff?

in Engineer

Terrahero.9358

Utility skills can be swapped on the fly, anywhere that isnt sPvP. You can travel around faster to get to an event quicker, or to a fight, and then swap to another utility skill and not really sacrifice anything.
Those 10pts in Tools cannot be so easily swapped to something else. Thats 10points you cannot use for something else, unless you go to a place where you can reset your traitpoints. Which also costs coin.

So i can see why some people feel this is an issue.

Why no movement buff?

in Engineer

Posted by: Forestnator.6298

Forestnator.6298

Do I miss something? U wanna give up an utility slot – which are already rare on engineer – for a stupid passive 25% movespeed?? U must be kidding.

Why no movement buff?

in Engineer

Posted by: Maskaganda.2043

Maskaganda.2043

passive movement buffs are highly overrated anyway

Tchuu Tchuu I’m a Train – Gandara
engie roaming vids: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9NnXVfY4vRU1F-X7b1Oorw/videos

(edited by Maskaganda.2043)

Why no movement buff?

in Engineer

Posted by: Manuhell.2759

Manuhell.2759

Still, having the choice without having to trait specifically for it would be useful. And versatile.

Why no movement buff?

in Engineer

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

Still, having the choice without having to trait specifically for it would be useful. And versatile.

This. So if we could get both the option for this suggestion and keep the speedy kits without them stacking, I’m in favor of it. But if a-net doean’t want classes having two types of speed options ……

Why no movement buff?

in Engineer

Posted by: Whelm.9072

Whelm.9072

If you are going to talk about switching utilities then you should mention the swiftness from Medkit and/or Elixir B. I switch in and out of Medkit when I don’t have Speedy Kits traited and it only takes a second. Used with Elixir B it has a lot of uptime.

Why no movement buff?

in Engineer

Posted by: ImmortalTHOR.7402

ImmortalTHOR.7402

Do I miss something? U wanna give up an utility slot – which are already rare on engineer – for a stupid passive 25% movespeed?? U must be kidding.

I’m not, actually. The rocket boots themselves aren’t bad, but if they had the extra movespeed, you’d see a lot more people using them. We’re really not hurting on utility slots, either. In fact, we effectively get double the utility slots that the other professions get due to our class mechanic (the toolbelt).

Another thing this would do is perhaps start giving kitless engineers a bit more going for them. I actually would love it if we started seeing less reliance on kits, but I don’t think that’s going to happen anytime soon.

Why no movement buff?

in Engineer

Posted by: XIII.9615

XIII.9615

If you are going to talk about switching utilities then you should mention the swiftness from Medkit and/or Elixir B. I switch in and out of Medkit when I don’t have Speedy Kits traited and it only takes a second. Used with Elixir B it has a lot of uptime.

Elixir B and Medkit is actually perma swiftness, too. There is really no reason to complain. Engineers get perma swiftness either with speedy kits or by swapping to medkit and elixir b, when you want to travel. The argument that we have to waste traits is invalid and swiftness is always better than the 25% passive speed boosts.

Why no movement buff?

in Engineer

Terrahero.9358

Elixir B and Medkit is actually perma swiftness, too. There is really no reason to complain. Engineers get perma swiftness either with speedy kits or by swapping to medkit and elixir b, when you want to travel. The argument that we have to waste traits is invalid and swiftness is always better than the 25% passive speed boosts.

No its not.

MedKit gives 10sec Swiftness on a 20sec cd, and Elixir B gives 10sec swiftness on a 40sec cooldown. Throw Elixir B has a 25% chance to give 10sec swiftness on a 20sec cd.

That alone is not enough to get a 100% Swiftness uptime.

Why no movement buff?

in Engineer

Posted by: Hybelkaninen.3087

Hybelkaninen.3087

10 points are permanent (apart from respec).
A sigil/rune/skill can be swapped out on the fly outside of combat, adding to that…most sigils have run speed as a passive buff in addition to having a clickable effect.

Besides…25% vs 33% isn’t that much of a deal…unless you’re MIN/MAX’ing.

So…all in all, I would’ve taken a sigil over 10 trait points anyday

Why no movement buff?

in Engineer

Posted by: kokocabana.8153

kokocabana.8153

I believe that you can respec outside of trainers by buying the cheapest training manuals.

Why no movement buff?

in Engineer

Posted by: Zenguy.6421

Zenguy.6421

I believe that you can respec outside of trainers by buying the cheapest training manuals.

Doesn’t work. The manuals are a on-off to unlock the trait tier. Once that’s done you cant redo it on a character.

As for only 10pts for perma-swiftness: That’s not a problem for ’nade/bomb builds where 30pts in one trait line gets you most of what you need. But other builds require more points just to fully spec the kit/etc (e.g. FT 50pts, Turrets 50pts, EG 40pts) making those extra points even more valuable.

Why no movement buff?

in Engineer

Posted by: joshisanonymous.5270

joshisanonymous.5270

There are only two reasons I would support this:

1) Having to switch in and out of kits every 10 seconds gives me tendonitis.
2) My engineer is a Charr and I much prefer his 4-legged running animation, which is impossible to see with the Speedy Kits solution.

Honestly, I’d still go with Speedy Kits, though. I mostly play a Necro and, even though he has access to a 25% speed signet, I still prefer using a utility slot (Spectral Walk), a crappy offhand weapon (Warhorn), and boon duration just to have 100% uptime at 33% speed instead. I wouldn’t care if I was just running with zergs but if you want to run around solo, it’s nice knowing you can choose which fights to engage in when you see your enemies ahead of time. (You can still be caught with 25%.)