Why to choose Engineer over Elementalist?

in Engineer

Posted by: The Baws.5164

The Baws.5164

Hey everyone,

It seems that in the game as a whole, Elementalist seems to offer more group support due to combo fields, blast finishers, high DPS, conjure weapons etc., and yet I’m trying to find reasons to main Engineer. So could you guys give me some reasons? I’m a novice Engineer at best and so would appreciate some input as to what they are stronger at than Elementalist.

Thanks.

Immersed in Blood [TEA]
Drunken Alliance [DKAL]
Piken Square [EU]

in Engineer

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

High-er dps, better control. Or the option to run a successful condition build.

The Ele is much more inflexible if you’re at a competitive enough level to care about learning the stronger profession choice.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

in Engineer

Posted by: Creld.8702

Creld.8702

So, in pve, it’s just min maxing or personal preference. Engineer can bring almost everything an ele brings (kitten static fields) along with stealth. They have minor differences, with eles being better on certain dungeons with their aoe and engineer bringing perma 25 vulnerability.

In pvp, engineer has more competitive builds. Hybrid, condition, and turret are all strong currently, whereas ele has hybrid and a very glassy burst. Engineer has more tanky builds while ele will see a lot of highs and lows in their health. Elementalist has more viable heals, but engineer’s healing turret is extremely powerful.

Past that, which do you like the look of better? Light armor or medium? What ranges do you want to play? Engineer is best at medium range, usually sitting outside melee but within about 600. Ele can play in much more space effectively. Engineer has higher base health and armor as well.

For a final answer to your question, engineer is great at mid range condition or hybrid damage, while ele can use close or long range direct or hybrid damage builds. Both are extremely good in pve, so for that aspect it’s all flavor.

Asura Engineer- Aelara Fole

in Engineer

Posted by: Depths.4051

Depths.4051

Cause engi is the master class of course >=/

in Engineer

Posted by: oxtred.7658

oxtred.7658

Mainly easy vuln stacking, great burst, cc and access to pretty much everything from stealth to reflects. They also have great fire field uptime for those time you don’t want to staff afk and still have 100% fire fields uptime.

If you’re on EU and need help to get into dungeons, pm me.

in Engineer

Posted by: twhite.9310

twhite.9310

Yes Elementalists have it easier when it comes to keeping might and fury up.. But it’s not about out-doing another class.. It’s about how your team works. FOR EXAMPLE.. The only reason Warriors are brought in Speedruns anymore is because of their Banners. Without the Banners the warrior would be at the bottom of the tiers.
1. Engis can stack perma vuln = 25% more dps to team.
2. Engis have Blast Finishers = More might for team
3. Engis can provide stealth = Get through stuff
4. Engis can blast water fields( on top of fire field ) so that way you blast might and keep team alive if need be.
5. Engis have Pulls for when pulls are needed (example: AC p2 end Boss pulling into Turret)

You shouldn’t compare Eles and Engis as far as usefulness goes because almost every Speedrun has 1-2 Eles and an Engi. I play Engineer for a Speedrun guild and have been playing engineer for quite some time..

Just because ele offers conjure weapons, etc…That’s great for dps and all… but engi’s offer almost just as much as eles do. It’s all about which playstyle you enjoy. I have mained Engi for almost 2 years and would never look back ( Yes I have hundreds of hours on Ele in PvE as well.) So I’m not being Biased. I hope you find a the right answers to your questions.

“Backpack called me bad” – Slaughter Melon

in Engineer

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Stealth… about the only thing Engi’s beat Ele’s at outright. Sustained vulnerability would be the other thing, but that’s not always needed.

I’d argue Engi si more fun though, at least personally speaking

in Engineer

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

what twithe said

Though i gonna add that engi got no cooldowns for kit switching… ele however got attument cooldowns what makes it really easy to synergise kits, skills and turrets..or all at once if thats your style. You see.. engi is literally like a perfectly working machine if you know what buttons to press and the best is, you can do all at the same. Might stacking, vun stacking, healing. How about evading and vun stacking? Or evading and doing an unblockable aoe? Stealth maybe? How about confusion? Need CC? Need condi and CC? Water field? Perma swiftness? Perma regen? Need to be invulnerable? Reviving somebody via aoe? The whole rainbow of conditions (cept torment and fear)? Ya can have everything…CEPT good condi cleansing and stun breakers…that can bite you in the kitten sometime depending on what you wanna do….but id say for PVE related things your solid to massive health pool (depending on the build) and to the ele superior (in defence.. and not visuals) armor can take quite some abuse.

Without a question ele can do pretty much everything aswell… and if you want my opinion on what to choose.. pick both, try em out, maybe invest some time into both classes and learn how to controll em and then see where it goes. Both are solid and fun without a question and hey.. maybe both stick

in Engineer

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

Play both, equip both, master both, have access to max utility / dps / support for every game-mode.

Engi and Ele are the most fun classes to play if you enjoy fast-paced, competitive combat and don’t mind a high skill-floor, at least in my opinion. Thief/ mesmer would be included here as well, if it were not for their poor aoe or single-target focus and lack in general sustain.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

in Engineer

Posted by: The Baws.5164

The Baws.5164

Wow, thanks for all of the responses. I wasn’t aware that Engi was really utilised much in speed runs and the like. PvE takes up the majority of my time with guild raiding being the other portion and to learn that Engi is strong in PvE is awesome. It now fulfils all of my requirements

Immersed in Blood [TEA]
Drunken Alliance [DKAL]
Piken Square [EU]

in Engineer

Posted by: VitalSuit.1980

VitalSuit.1980

The Ele is much more inflexible if you’re at a competitive enough level to care about learning the stronger profession choice.

Uh? With Lightning Hammer isn’t ele dps the highest out of all professions?

in Engineer

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

From pve perspective it easier to get ele dps rotations off. In spvp they both provide a variety of builds. Ele has dd celest, staff celest bunker/support, sf zerker burst. Engi has rabid condi p/x or celest rifle/nades.

Engi has successful condi build for pvp though ele has less weakness when compared to engi. Both are great classes, its kinda hard to get an unbiased opinion when posting in a class specific forum. Better off just choosing which one you enjoy the most.

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir

in Engineer

Jerus.4350

@The Baws, Engi might not make appearances in the Record Runs, but that’s because those records are set by stacking Ele’s to chain Ice Bows. Engi is very strong in your day to day runs, it just loses it’s niche when things die as fast as they do in those record runs.

@VitalSuit, Staff is the Ele’s highest damage. Scepter+LH is a good 1k DPS behind it last I saw. Properly executed Engi rotation is right up there if I understand correctly, but it’s a bit easier said than done

in Engineer

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

Uh? With Lightning Hammer isn’t ele dps the highest out of all professions?

Different game mode perspectives, should have disclaimer’d!

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

in Engineer

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

Ele’s are locked in terms of what skills they get due to their weapon.
Engy’s, less so

in Engineer

Posted by: Ameno.6813

Ameno.6813

Engi if you want to be a hipster like the rest of us, Ele if you wan’t to be relevant in the PvE meta.

in Engineer

Posted by: Simon.3794

Simon.3794

in PvP, because they don’t play the same role

ele is melee point keeper
engi is condi pressure from range.

engi don’t stand on point.

in PvE, ele is slightly better then engi, but engi still have its own advantage of stealth etc.

in Engineer

Posted by: VitalSuit.1980

VitalSuit.1980

Engi if you want to be a hipster like the rest of us, Ele if you wan’t to be relevant in the PvE meta.

But engis are relevant in the PvE meta? Vuln stacking, now that FGS was nerfed Eles can’t vuln stack anywhere near as well as us.

in Engineer

Jerus.4350

But engis are relevant in the PvE meta? Vuln stacking, now that FGS was nerfed Eles can’t vuln stack anywhere near as well as us.

Yes, and No, Ele’s have the burst Vuln stacking taht is more than enough for most of the Record Run content. Engis have the sustain Vuln which earns them a spot in your daily running and longer fights.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ameno.6813

Ameno.6813

When I see the speed run try hards running engis in their videos we’ll talk, till then…..