Would love to get help with roaming

in Engineer

Posted by: Willy Savage.5043

Willy Savage.5043

After spending a couple weeks perusing the forums for engineer roaming videos and builds and such I have decided that I really want to try out WvWvW roaming for myself. Only problem is that I have no idea where to start.

I’m afraid that if I used my PvE armor (exo berserkers) I’ll just melt away at first.

Can someone direct me to a line of thinking to what gear/build/tactics would be the most forgiving for someone who has never roamed before but wants to try it out. I’m fully aware that I’ll get destroyed so I by no means expect to be the wolfineer after a few minutes of running around.

Thanks!

in Engineer

Posted by: Twigifire.8379

Twigifire.8379

I’ll tell you what I know from my experience.
With your berserker gear, you know of wolfineer obviously, start with his builds as they’re all good all round builds that are the meta engineer builds.

Try his recent static discharge one out build wise, and basically dodge anything that looks like they’re about to smack you in the face.. really hard.

For roaming in general, try to stick to camps and sentries, occasionally go and tag along with a group of guys you meet and grab a tower if you can, if not, stick to the camps. Just go from camp to camp and engage people who you think you could beat/ have a chance at beating.

You’ll find out probably at some point that conditions are incredibly strong. Pretty much all engineers lack good condition removal as it’s too much effort to trait for and swap utilities out. I’d say as a starting wvw engineer, conditions (dire+rabid) will be a lot easier for you to use with EG, BK, TK or BK, GK, EG as they offer a lot more survivability and still deal tonnes of damage. You’ll find the power builds a lot more bursty and a lot less survivally.

Both power and condition engineer builds are viable though, one of the great things about the class is the huge range of builds. Good luck roaming sorry if I didn’t answer everything!

in Engineer

Posted by: Treble.1563

Treble.1563

One thing that really helped me with becoming a good roamer was SPVP. WvW is a bit tough to learn on as a beginner because it has so many variables. You could run into a zerg, a havoc group, or you could go a few minutes at a time without finding a decent fight.

SPVP, especially those custom duel arenas, lets you figure the class out in a PVP setting. You’ll always have a 1v1 fight (in duel arenas) so you can practice learning how to deal with individual classes first. Then you can go into solo Q and learn how to deal with outnumbered fights. You’ll also find fights a lot more consistently. Once you know just how to deal with every situation, you’ll be a much more successful roamer.

You could, of course, jump straight in. You can certainly learn that way too, and it’s not like WvW and SPVP fighting are too similar (one focuses on capturing a point within a certain time, the other allows people to reset fights indefinitely if they’re about to lose). But I think SPVP is the mode that really lets you learn all your abilities through muscle memory, which means you won’t be thinking about how to deal with things in WvW, you just do it.

SD Rifle builds are very strong with Berserker gear, but it’s very squishy. Played well, however, you can shut down anyone who doesn’t have permanent Stability.

S U M E T A L [ Warrior ][ S/Wh + Ham ][ Zerg Shout Support ]
M O A M E T A L [ Necromancer ][ Staff + D/F ][ Power DS/Wells ]
Y U I M E T A L [ Engineer ][ 3kit P/S ][ Havoc Roam ]

in Engineer

Posted by: ukuni.8745

ukuni.8745

this is a build i find especially good for roaming.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fdAQFAUlcTp6q1XxELseNCbBFqKK6jEln85DEgkC-T1xHwADeAAP0BoZ/hlK/8o+zclgAuAAkCgNlRA-w

if you cant afford strength runes get hoelbrak runes, cant afford them? get alturism, dont have celestiel available? just go full soldiers with knights runes, it works alot better then it should with full soldiers which is odd but when you hit a 8k nade barrage with no crits you realize it has some secret hidden power, its good for someone new to wvw since its easy to use and rather forgiving, but dosent have fantastic mobility so remember that if you use it.

and here is a video of the build i posted, the build dosent start till 1:30.

Still Winning And Grinning (Swag)
Ukune – Engineer of Maguuma
Check me out on YouTube

in Engineer

Posted by: Willy Savage.5043

Willy Savage.5043

Thanks guys! I think I’ll give it a try tonight

in Engineer

Posted by: Lert.6287

Lert.6287

this is a build i find especially good for roaming.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fdAQFAUlcTp6q1XxELseNCbBFqKK6jEln85DEgkC-T1xHwADeAAP0BoZ/hlK/8o+zclgAuAAkCgNlRA-w

if you cant afford strength runes get hoelbrak runes, cant afford them? get alturism, dont have celestiel available? just go full soldiers with knights runes, it works alot better then it should with full soldiers which is odd but when you hit a 8k nade barrage with no crits you realize it has some secret hidden power, its good for someone new to wvw since its easy to use and rather forgiving, but dosent have fantastic mobility so remember that if you use it.

and here is a video of the build i posted, the build dosent start till 1:30.

8k barrage without crits? kitten , poor…. mosquito.

Engineer / Piken Square
Former Team Psy [Psy] member/ [BNF] guest
YT Channel