Would this be OP to ask for?

in Engineer

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

Hi friends, had a few small suggestions, and wanted to know what other engineers thought. I’m open to criticism. Anyways:

Now that Hanmer #3 has been nerfed in CD (I’d say justified), maybe tighten up the evade frames a bit as the skill is similar to Unrelenting Assault but doesn’t provide evade frames in a similar manner.

Secondly, I think it’d be interesting if elixir gun #4 (Acid Bomb) had a short 1/3 or 3/4 evade so it could be used strategically against traps or as an escape.

Just some thoughts I had while playing my scrapper I thought would be nice. Enjoy.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

considering that “scrapper is op” threads are starting to be a thing over in the pvp forums, i dont think buffing skills in the top build(s) is such a good idea

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Engineer

ronpierce.2760

considering that “scrapper is op” threads are starting to be a thing over in the pvp forums, i dont think buffing skills in the top build(s) is such a good idea

I mean it depends. I like skills to be well designed and have a good niche. I don’t think these skills in particular are the major problems. I’m not trying to rebalance the class, in sure there are things to be turned down as well (as for every class), but I don’t see it as a reason to not make improvement suggestions too.

in Engineer

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

Rocket Charge and Acid Bomb are already two of the strongest skills we have. If you’re going to add evades to anything, make it Rocket Boots or something that actually needs help.

in Engineer

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

Rocket Charge and Acid Bomb are already two of the strongest skills we have. If you’re going to add evades to anything, make it Rocket Boots or something that actually needs help.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

in Engineer

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

Scrapper would be considerably easier if you could Rocket Charge and not worry about being counter pressured.

Currently when you’re being zerged and you Rocket Charge, you sustain a ton of damage between the intermittent evade frames, and that’s kind of how it should be.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

in Engineer

Posted by: Infusion.7149

Infusion.7149

ronpierce, I don’t think that it should be buffed right after it’s been nerfed. Plus it’s not a weak skill at all , not in damage.

If you use it at max range then yeh, it is not going to feel as strong as close up. If you’re using it while you’re further away it functions as a gap closer more so than a damage skill.

Desolation (EU) → Yak’s Bend (US)
In your backline: Elementalist+Mesmer+Necromancer

in Engineer

Posted by: Tomiyou.3790

Tomiyou.3790

It’s exactly the same with Burning Speed ele has, the evade it has is only illusionary, since you don’t dodge during the pre-cast and after-cast, so until Burning Speed is updated, neither should be Hammer #3. As for Elixir Gun, I would much rather see something done with #2 ability, rather than dodge on #4, since it already is a very good skill.

in Engineer

Posted by: Zintrothen.1056

Zintrothen.1056

Acid Bomb giving an evade is a good idea if they boost the CD a bit. But Hammer 3’s evade does not need a buff. The 2 second CD increase did absolutely nothing to nerf Scrapper’s sustain, neither did Stealth Gyros 20 second CD increase. The issue imo with Scrapper sustain on hammer is that 3 of the skills have defensive capabilities and hit hard.

Let’s look at Mesmer’s sword 2 skill (maybe not the best example, but someone can search for others) Blurred Frenzy as a comparison to these three hammer skills. Hammer 2 reflects projectiles for 1 second and hits 3 targets around the Scrapper for two strong hits, and is a whirl finisher. Hammer 3 is a leap finisher, hits 3 targets in front of the Scrapper for heavy damage on all three 3 impacts and it evades for a very short period during each leap. Hammer 4 blocks all attacks for 2 seconds, applies 2 stacks of 5 seconds of vulnerability on each of the 5 powerful hits to 5 targets in front of the Scrapper. Blurred Frenzy locks the mesmer in place while you evade for its 2.5 second duration, and do kitten damage compared to the Scrapper attacks. It’s not a finisher of any kind either, and it only hits targets in front of the Mesmer.

Hammer skills would be fine being that hard hitting if they would just reduce the defensive capabilities of them or even remove them from one of the skills. Hell, you could even change hammer 4 to only block in front of the Scrapper, instead of all around. It would even force the Scrapper to actually use the skill more carefully to get the full effect of it. But increasing the CD of one of them by a whole two seconds isn’t going to solve the problem.

(edited by Zintrothen.1056)

in Engineer

ronpierce.2760

Figured I’d hop back in here since I had some comments and time to consider.

First, I still enjoy the idea of an evade on EG4, but overall, I guess it’s not necessary. I do think it needs a new graphic that doesn’t cut out and matches its duration more properly. I also agree a better route would be to make EG 2 an all around better skill. I think I’d enjoy that a lot frankly, but I’m not really in a position to make suggestions. My initial reaction would be "how cool it’d be for the “glob” to slow the enemy too, but that leads back to sustain and Engineer, so I’ll just leave it as “I agree, EG2 could use changes before Acid bomb.”

Secondly, in regards to Hammer 3, I agree that maybe it’s fine, and this may sound weird and 180 to my original suggestion, but I think instead of making it evade more consistently, I’d prefer them add the third “evade” visual to any and all skills with evade side effects so it’s more noticeable when a person is executing an evade and depicting exactly when those frames are happening. This includes hammer 3, elemental dagger f3, etc.

Ultimately my goal would be a more “predictable” and clear game. While you can do tests to figure out about when they begin and end, I think a uniform evade signifier would do the game a lot of good, and the thief’s blur effect does that nicely.

(edited by ronpierce.2760)

in Engineer

Posted by: santenal.1054

santenal.1054

All the EG kit needs is a bug fix for #2 so it bounces of the engineer in a 1v1 situation (hitting the enemy 2 times) and making #1 have a 1200 range would also be nice ( it’s already a strong kit). Like sins and choovanski said, adding evade to rocket boots would be a much more reasonable idea maybe even adding it to rocket kick.

in Engineer

ronpierce.2760

All the EG kit needs is a bug fix for #2 so it bounces of the engineer in a 1v1 situation (hitting the enemy 2 times) and making #1 have a 1200 range would also be nice ( it’s already a strong kit). Like sins and choovanski said, adding evade to rocket boots would be a much more reasonable idea maybe even adding it to rocket kick.

While I completely agree with you (and the above) that lesser used things need buffs, that’s sort of a global statement. My original intent for this thread wasn’t to get to the root of out-dated skill problems, and still isn’t. Even builds considered too strong in some ways aren’t exempt from other possible improvement discussion. I feel no urge to not have discussion just because in some ways they’re already good enough. Now, what was relevant is saying that H3 didn’t need tighter frames, that may be, but I do believe all evade skills should have a uniform evade graphic such as the blur effect.

And in regards to 2, I actually think it’s one of those skills that could use a touch up, honestly (though, there are MANY in this game). Having parts of the kit being okay isn’t a valid reason for me to not wish to make suggestions for particular skills, considering kits are no different than weapon sets for Engineer and it’s no fun having relatively “meh” skills simply because other parts of the weapon functions decently.

Another note; thanks for the civil discussion all around. While not everyone agrees, it’s nice we can talk this out.