[WvW] The State of Engineer?

in Engineer

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

So with the SoS/GoM merger, alongside the stability and AoE target cap changes, WvW is really quite a lot of fun these days.

Prior to Tuesday’s patch people claimed that engineer (scrapper) is a capable frontliner, though our roaming potential has nose-dived significantly. I am curious whether or not this is still true? And what kinds of builds people are running in WvW, either for zerging or roaming?

Thanks.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: Luimes.4281

Luimes.4281

Scrapper is okayish – for WvW zerg play. With hammer – bulwark gyro – tool kit – x – Sneaky Gyro or Turret elite
You’re able to provide cc with Thunderclap. Reflects and dmg reduction with bulwark and a single target pull with tool kit. Sneaky gyro to ress downed or turret elite on their backline for a stun.

Main thing here is that gyro’s get cleaved out REALLY fast so u have to know when to use them.

U won’t be able to frontline though even if you go full tank you will have a hard time seeing as u just dont have the cd’s or base armor for it. You should swirl around and through the melee train try pull someone into your zerg and move of to the side and put pressure on casters or lone targets.

Engineer roaming is still as good as it used to be. Small scale is still where engi is the best.

what is meme

in Engineer

Posted by: Rocknull.2986

Rocknull.2986

totally possible

just cuz u cant doesnt mean others are not

send me 100 gold and i’ll give you the build

in Engineer

Posted by: Phantasmal.5631

Phantasmal.5631

It’s totally possible. I played with Unlimited Scrapwork in GoM and he was wrecking people and surviving just fine. He was roaming similar to what seems like Luines is saying. I’ve also seen him go at or near the front as well. You should ask him his build.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

U won’t be able to frontline though even if you go full tank you will have a hard time seeing as u just dont have the cd’s or base armor for it.

Medium armor is like, all of 150 points less than heavy. That’s nothing taxing to make up. Plus you have plenty of options in skills and traits to mimic what Warriors and Guardians have. Scrappers can fit perfectly well in the frontline.

Fishsticks

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

send me 100 gold and i’ll give you the build

lol.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Rocknull.2986

=)

One thing i kinda hate are things like meta battle. its like a web sight giving away magician secrets. just booo. sucking some fun out of the complete game.
Figuring out the best option for your needs is a huge part of this game. and one of the most fun parts if you ask me. The only part that goes with ya pass the computer and out the to real world. (to heavy?)

but for a 100 gold i can say kitten the bullkitten and just tell ya whats good =)

in Engineer

Posted by: iggy.3910

iggy.3910

I’m enjoying myself quite well as a frontline engi. I use this
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFASncoCFpitbBmcB0ehl7jCshiosIsGCgMh+Wj1ZF-TlSBAB4o+zCPAguUKwz+DJpETLlFyqEEgLAgCmYQRHQAgDAuOQKgiEGB-w

it’s quite easy actually. The only problem I have is when I get tunnel vision and find myself alone in the middle of the enemy zerg.
thunderclap on their heads, ice field, gear shield through the main push, then switch to hammer shield. After that, improvise + fumigate and poison gas shell on the downed. Defensive field off cooldown.

I know it’s not optimal, but i’m poor and i don’t care…

in Engineer

Posted by: Barsity.9408

Barsity.9408

I command on my scrapper just fine after the patch. I never used any of the heavily nerfed skills (slick shoes) so my build is still fine. With the stability change, it only got easier for me with the stability my gyros do give.

I also still roam, solo or group, with the same build…. Usually changing only one or two traits as I need for situations.

If you are interested in the build, please feel free to pm or mail me. I am not opposed to showing it to others besides my wvw enemies for obvious reasons.

Lireil [SG] – Blackgate

in Engineer

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

For roaming, it’s probably true that the sneak gyro cast time really sucks. Otherwise, it’s mostly the same.

The stability change and simultaneous CC nerf in large scale fights have been beneficial to all front-liners, so it is easier for scrapper now as well.

Build hasn’t changed at all:
http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFASncoC1XhVXBubB0ehlJjKc7Smwi+vz79W8ZKgAA-TViFABEqeAAXAA13fwIlbnpD4QVcWSJRCPAgqUCWO4A4t3CA/93e/t3et3evNgb7VGgitA-w

With Elixir S + Self Regulating Defenses + HGH, I can get up to 7 seconds of invuln every 48 seconds when taking heavy focus, so I usually only die if I overextend too far. You can ditch Elixir Gun for Rocket Boots, Toolkit, or whatever the heck suits your fancy but I prefer the supportive properties and also sudden burst of Elixir Gun; usually nobody thinks of Acid Bomb as a killer. And you can certainly spec tankier than this, but I feel plenty of staying power already.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in Engineer

Posted by: Dash.8027

Dash.8027

I have several builds posted that work post patch on my website and videos to go with most of them.

Engi is still very much viable for roaming and organized WvW play.

[Os] Guild | Engineer | Sauer | :3
| http://www.sheriffsauer.com – “Engineer Hanbook” |

in Engineer

Posted by: Snakebyte.2804

Snakebyte.2804

Scrapper is filthy in the frontline and can replace eles as the water/cleanse bot, allowing your eles to spec for full DPS

Gringo Pls, JQ Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Scrapper is filthy in the frontline and can replace eles as the water/cleanse bot, allowing your eles to spec for full DPS

Uhm… A “proper” ele will already be specced for dps and use big/small waters when required. If we assume a true ele healbot, a scrapper could never replace it because its not even in the same healing league.

That said, I still find the scrapper to be a capable roamer and frontliner post-patch. I use the exact same specs as I did pre-patch.

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

I have several builds posted that work post patch on my website and videos to go with most of them.

Engi is still very much viable for roaming and organized WvW play.

Did Wolfineer quit or something?

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: DemonSeed.3528

DemonSeed.3528

Sheriff Sauer has taken over the duty now

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

Sheriff Sauer has taken over the duty now

The duty of what? Stealing other peoples’ builds without giving credit and monetizing their website? He’s the primary reason I stopped writing guides. I was competing against my own work.

Either way, thanks Sauer. I’ll try out your builds, and the others posted here.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

That said, I still find the scrapper to be a capable roamer and frontliner post-patch. I use the exact same specs as I did pre-patch.

I ran frontline engi last night using the scrapper/inventions/alchemy build with medic gyro, blast gyro, elixir b, e-gun and switching between sneak gyro and mortar and thought it was fine. We lose some cc without slick shoes but we maintain our sustain with the blast gyro toolbelt skill.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in Engineer

Rocknull.2986

This is what i have been running. still trying to catch the gear up but its pretty dam close.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdIQFASncoCdehtoCGpCEqilKjievj78O86KmtTcZCgyD-TFCCAB1pjAhLIwYKBB4BBUpKBSqujYK/wf/hNDBA8vSKgi0aB-w

https://youtu.be/8BzL7vtH5KU

Charr is the power!

(edited by Rocknull.2986)

in Engineer

Rocknull.2986

Video is of my guild Despicable[ME]!!

POV is of our second in command big daddy Kiyoshi spinning to win on his guardian!!

Im somewhere in that madness with the front line train i swear lol.