WvW engi frontline build?

in Engineer

Posted by: Mayama.1854

Mayama.1854

I tried tons of setups from Mishva’s Commander Build to pure bunker builds but they all fail in comparsion to a warrior or guardian. I know we are a medium armor class but the flamethrower screams walking fortress of doom.

in Engineer

Posted by: Wolfar.6508

Wolfar.6508

We have never been good Zergers and if you compare us to a Guardian and Warrior we are utter useless, haha. I know of another Engineer that does a lot of zerging with the flamethrower but I can’t remember his name sadly..

Wolfineer.com - Everything Engineer!

in Engineer

Mayama.1854

Yeah its sad like when I created an engineer almost 2 years ago I expected them to be excellent at sieging and long range large scale combat. It was a bit misleading.

in Engineer

Posted by: Lert.6287

Lert.6287

Yeah its sad like when I created an engineer almost 2 years ago I expected them to be excellent at sieging and long range large scale combat. It was a bit misleading.

I’d say that granades do the job for long range.
As well it’s not like engineers are impossible for front-liners. They are just not guardians and warrior in that role. But pretty much same as other proffessions.

Engineer / Piken Square
Former Team Psy [Psy] member/ [BNF] guest
YT Channel

in Engineer

Posted by: J envy.5270

J envy.5270

Engi since beta here.

Here is a build i’ve been running since February. Felt like sharing it after a few months of using it.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fdAQJAqelUUpPr9dx+KseNiaBF6MuxAI6Qmlr8pIA-T1BEABWp8DgHAggKBf4EAgp6Pxs/wd6BCAgAcz2MAO6RP6RP6P7m38m3coDtUAFpMC-w

If you want frontline this is frontline, side by side with the commander(stay on Bombkit most of the time). Effective with water fields, bomb heals, leap, oh kitten break stun button. Thats the gear i use, but you can change it if you want. I prefer Elixir S over Toss Elxir B as the toss is a bit delayed reaction, and since boons can be removed. The only important stats for me is Power gets up to 2.5k, Health gets to 23k hp, Armor sits at 3k, 500 heals per second(between backpack regen and bomb heals).

Does very good tagging and not dying on inc or retal, good survivability. Having a guard or two in the party would be neat, but not very dependent on that matter (total of -73% dmg recieved while stunned/knockdowned…) unless its a map blob fight. 2 Water fields and 3 blast finishers on low CD, immob from bomb#5, range aoe stun from supply depot on enemy zerg regroups. Feel free to use or change up a bit to your style but this has been very effective for me since Feb.

Kamote
Guild Wars Vet since 05
multi-class all game modes

(edited by J envy.5270)

in Engineer

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khFMcw2guIs Celesital engi can be pretty good. You got nice combo fields. Lots of heals from bomb+super elixier and water feilds. Also considering how tanky you are you damage is decent the spec is my spvp build in other video but will add build to this vid.

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir

in Engineer

Posted by: J envy.5270

J envy.5270

Celesital engi can be pretty good. You got nice combo fields. Lots of heals from bomb+super elixier and water feilds. Also considering how tanky you are you damage is decent the spec is my spvp build in other video but will add build to this vid.

I’ve watched your videos vince, very nice, i’ve tried to play around with your playstyle, its a good change from the typical condi roamer build that i use, but i gotta say though, your build is defintely roamer build, not for zerg fights, then again depends on the tier of your world, i play T1 and can get very zergy so i make my zergy builds very tanky yet able to do dmg, and heal allies at the same time. For roaming obviously its a different story.

Kamote
Guild Wars Vet since 05
multi-class all game modes

in Engineer

Posted by: Ameno.6813

Ameno.6813

We can dish our so pretty crazzy zerg CC. For instance, a good slick shoes followed by rocket boots can cut the enemy zerg in half. If you manage to get into the heart of the battle and you have a bomb kit + the kit refinement trait active, switching to the bomb kit will drop a magnetic bomb pull enemies in a decent sized aoe to the center of it, more zerg CC. The inverse of this would be to also drop a Big Ol’ Bomb. Of course you’d wanted to pick up forceful explosives for the bomb AOE boost which applies to BoB and the magnet bomb as well.

Kind of gimmicky, but useful things we can bring to zerg fights.

If you’re crazy enough to use something with high precision like knights, the new Bunker Down trait can probably works wonders in a Zerg vs. Zerg fight. Put on your combat log and watch the numbers roll in.

in Engineer

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

Celesital engi can be pretty good. You got nice combo fields. Lots of heals from bomb+super elixier and water feilds. Also considering how tanky you are you damage is decent the spec is my spvp build in other video but will add build to this vid.

I’ve watched your videos vince, very nice, i’ve tried to play around with your playstyle, its a good change from the typical condi roamer build that i use, but i gotta say though, your build is defintely roamer build, not for zerg fights, then again depends on the tier of your world, i play T1 and can get very zergy so i make my zergy builds very tanky yet able to do dmg, and heal allies at the same time. For roaming obviously its a different story.

Yea the build through out most of the video is actually very tanky he is a picture of its stats

Attachments:

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir

in Engineer

Posted by: Kuju.2153

Kuju.2153

Build I like to run:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fdAQJAqelUUpWr1Xx6KseNSdBFyBuTQGgCI6FGjhA-TVCHwAAOBA32fQoygoKBNqkIoSN/q/Y4BAIWPApAYSZE-w

You should be in a group with a guard to get another ~5 seconds on stability on top of your own 5 seconds. If you are not able to get a guard for stab you may want to opt for Saffron bread for even more reduced stun damage. Otherwise if with a guard and able to get 10+ seconds of stability every 25-30 seconds from SYG and your toss elixir B then you won’t need it. I like lemongrass, but you could even go something offensive if you really wanted to.

You don’t have to run P/S, but I like it for the extra blast finisher in water/fire fields, another blind on top of FT, + the block.

You can switch to med kit when on the move for extra swiftness if you need it. Just be sure to switch back before engaging to get the water field + blast finisher back.

I like the Engineer runes for the extra toughness and +7% damage with FT out (should be with FT as much as you can manage), but you could go Hoelbrak or Strength here too if you want to shell out the cash. I can get easy 4k-6k crits with Flame Blast / Detonate combo (go go Intel Sigil). Combined with knockback ability, long fire field, and PBAE blind all on relatively short cooldowns it can be nice to have around once you get comfortable with it. Just watch out for retaliation on the auto-attack.

With FT supposed to be getting a slight buff in the upcoming balance patch it could get even more fun to play around with. Also, might want to see how the Elixir X changes pan out as that could be fun to include in the build for an optional elite. You can option out some traits if you want, but the obvious core ones should be deadly mixture, stabilized armor, protection injection, and juggernaut.

in Engineer

Mayama.1854

You should be in a group with a guard to get another ~5 seconds on stability on top of your own 5 seconds.

Thats one of the biggest problems, usually if people want to fill their frontline group slots they dont want an engineer.

Right now I dont play pure frontline because of that, I usually run with the frontline but rocketboot through the enemy zerg to get to their backline, drop supply crate and burn everything with my flamethrower. It works rather well because the FT autoattack does enough damage to roast all those zerker necros/eles quite fast.

in Engineer

Posted by: Dimes.6024

Dimes.6024

usually if people want to fill their frontline group slots they dont want a person who is not on teamspeak

in Engineer

Posted by: Kuju.2153

Kuju.2153

You should be in a group with a guard to get another ~5 seconds on stability on top of your own 5 seconds.

Thats one of the biggest problems, usually if people want to fill their frontline group slots they dont want an engineer.

Right now I dont play pure frontline because of that, I usually run with the frontline but rocketboot through the enemy zerg to get to their backline, drop supply crate and burn everything with my flamethrower. It works rather well because the FT autoattack does enough damage to roast all those zerker necros/eles quite fast.

Hmm, well I guess that all depends on the people for the server you play on. I know most of the time the pugmannders I am with want everybody including backliners in a group with at least one guard as long as there are enough to go around; thankfully, that is almost always is the case. Your commanders should want stab up on everybody, so you can make pushes through doors/walls/chokes when you have to, and not lose people and/or create a tail.

(edited by Kuju.2153)