a fix to prevent carpal tunnel in engineers

in Engineer

Posted by: That Other Guy.7351

That Other Guy.7351

Ok so everyone who’s played an engineer knows what a pain it is to spam your basic attack when using the bomb kit and using the grenade kit above water. Making bombs auto-cast wouldn’t really work and grenades can’t be auto-cast above water because you need to lead your target.

Therefore I propose that grenade/bomb kit basic attacks be auto-cast while the button is held down. This would greatly reduce the strain on our tendons without creating problems.

in Engineer

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

Bombs already autoattack when in melee range. I’d support grenades autoattacking on button hold.

in Engineer

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Thing about bomb autoattack, i am not sure it takes into account Forceful Explosives. So if you have that trait active, you may be able to hurt someone but not see the autoattack happen. Never mind that they need to be in your arc of attack…

As for autofire on holding a button down with grenades, i strongly agree. I guess we will see how the “hold to aim, release to fire” option that will come in a month will work out.

in Engineer

Posted by: Obscure One.4357

Obscure One.4357

Just get some macro software and change the number #1 key to repeat while pressed. I know my hand is much happier with me for doing this, and as far as my understanding of the rules and regs on macros goes this is a legal one.

Circumventing profanity filters one kitten at a time.

in Engineer

Posted by: ShadowPuppet.3746

ShadowPuppet.3746

Thing about bomb autoattack, i am not sure it takes into account Forceful Explosives. So if you have that trait active, you may be able to hurt someone but not see the autoattack happen. Never mind that they need to be in your arc of attack…

As for autofire on holding a button down with grenades, i strongly agree. I guess we will see how the “hold to aim, release to fire” option that will come in a month will work out.

Confused what you are saying about this. Do you mean that the explosion animation does not match the radius increase? Also it is a full 360 degree attack so they just need to be inside the radius of the attack and can be in any direction from your location.

in Engineer

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Confused what you are saying about this. Do you mean that the explosion animation does not match the radius increase? Also it is a full 360 degree attack so they just need to be inside the radius of the attack and can be in any direction from your location.

Every skill has a attack range. if your target is within that range and in front of your character, and the skill is set to auto-attack (gold border), the skill will continue to fire on completed recharge.

The thing is that while the explosion radius of the bomb skills change with forceful explosions, i am not sure the attack range changes. I have more than once found myself tapping bomb kit #1 over and over because a mob took one step back and so ended up outside of attack range. But i was still hurting said mob because i had forceful explosions traited.

in Engineer

Posted by: amiable.4823

amiable.4823

Just get some macro software and change the number #1 key to repeat while pressed. I know my hand is much happier with me for doing this, and as far as my understanding of the rules and regs on macros goes this is a legal one.

It is not, this post will most likely get deleted and you will get a temp forum ban for mentioning it. I know from experience.

Aliquot Love – Engineer
Gable Thorn – Elementalist
Shining in Darkness – Warrior – Mag

in Engineer

Posted by: That Other Guy.7351

That Other Guy.7351

I tested it and indeed the auto-attack range does not increase when forceful explosions is traited despite the fact they are in range for the damage.

in Engineer

Posted by: Dand.8231

Dand.8231

It is not, this post will most likely get deleted and you will get a temp forum ban for mentioning it. I know from experience.

Actually according to ANets definition, it probably is legit. The definition as one of the mods explained on these forums, is “the possibility of providing an unfair advantage.”

Now, if it was the faster you pressed the button, the more DPS you did… then that would be a different story.

But there’s a cast time, and animation; mashing the button only goes so far, and having a script or macro press 1 for you does not confer any advantage.

in Engineer

Posted by: ShadowPuppet.3746

ShadowPuppet.3746

Every skill has a attack range. if your target is within that range and in front of your character, and the skill is set to auto-attack (gold border), the skill will continue to fire on completed recharge.

The thing is that while the explosion radius of the bomb skills change with forceful explosions, i am not sure the attack range changes. I have more than once found myself tapping bomb kit #1 over and over because a mob took one step back and so ended up outside of attack range. But i was still hurting said mob because i had forceful explosions traited.

I got ya now, yeah I noticed this as well. I just got into habit of manually using 1 anyhow since many times I won’t even bother having a target selected if there is a group of mobs I am fighting. Against single enemies I am usually close enough that it is rarely a problem for me but it would be nice if Anet got around to fixing it some day to be sure!

in Engineer

Posted by: Deacon.9725

Deacon.9725

The release-to-fire mechanic holds so much promise for Engineers, I am inclined to agree with the idea to wait to see how that pans out for Grenade kit before asking for auto-attack.

One of the reasons I like running in Grenade kit is that it does not have an auto-attack. It saves a bit on unwanted (and potentially unwarranted) multiple mob aggro while bunking around zones.

in Engineer

Obscure One.4357

Actually according to ANets definition, it probably is legit. The definition as one of the mods explained on these forums, is “the possibility of providing an unfair advantage.”

Now, if it was the faster you pressed the button, the more DPS you did… then that would be a different story.

But there’s a cast time, and animation; mashing the button only goes so far, and having a script or macro press 1 for you does not confer any advantage.

The macro isn’t doing anything by itself, it requires the user to press the key and only controls that single action which changes it from a press and release to a press and hold. If it were a toggle macro then it would be pressing it without me doing so and would then be a violation, but as it is my manual inputs require the same amount of dedication to the key as someone rapidly tapping the key. The only real difference is my hands don’t ache when I log off, and I’m putting less wear on my computer’s peripherals.

in Engineer

Posted by: amiable.4823

amiable.4823

The macro isn’t doing anything by itself, it requires the user to press the key and only controls that single action which changes it from a press and release to a press and hold. If it were a toggle macro then it would be pressing it without me doing so and would then be a violation, but as it is my manual inputs require the same amount of dedication to the key as someone rapidly tapping the key. The only real difference is my hands don’t ache when I log off, and I’m putting less wear on my computer’s peripherals.

/shrug maybe policy as changed, all I know was that I got a ban earlier this year for suggesting this.

Aliquot Love – Engineer
Gable Thorn – Elementalist
Shining in Darkness – Warrior – Mag

in Engineer

Obscure One.4357

/shrug maybe policy as changed, all I know was that I got a ban earlier this year for suggesting this.

here’s the policy as described by the development team explaining what is and is not acceptable.

If the forum mods don’t like it, tough, I’m playing by the rules on this one. Now if they want to infract me on some of my other posts then maybe I have that coming…I have a difficulty talking about certain members of the development team without using insults…