best 1v1 build vs ranger and mesmer

in Engineer

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

for the life of me I cannot beat longbow rangers on my engi 1v1. no idea why. I do good against mesmers, except one in my guild who I need to destroy because im losing sleep over it. are condi builds the way to go?

in Engineer

Posted by: Wolfar.6508

Wolfar.6508

For Longbow Ranger, I would recommend a Condition Build where you make good use of Tranquilizer Dart to lower the damage output of the Ranger by a lot (weakness). When he switches to Greatsword, you can do quite a bit of damage to him thanks to your Grenades. It’s often a foolish thing to do for the Ranger to swap out to his Greatsword (as most rangers can’t use it properly)

For Mesmer (Shatter I assume), it’s tough. A created an article regarding how to fight those guys. Might be worth a read for you. Again I would recommend Condition Damage here but Celestial and SD can also works. Issue is that Celestial can be kited easily while with SD you lack defense to survive any direct burst.

Hope this helps you!

Wolfineer.com - Everything Engineer!

(edited by Wolfar.6508)

in Engineer

Posted by: Dimes.6024

Dimes.6024

Shield #4 kills Rangers by their own damage

in Engineer

Posted by: Royale.5863

Royale.5863

It would be good to know what build you are using, and in turn whats being used on you.

in Engineer

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

Against rangers get close no matter what. They can’t dance around your grenades if they aren’t far away, their damage drops a lot and you can literally walk around them to negate every bow skill except barrage. If they swap to greatsword they probably will go hilt bash+maul combo, which you either dodge or cc. Hilt bash hits surprisingly far, while maul can be walked through, sidestepped. If they swap to block you magnet.
Try to force an early lightning reflexes by immobilize or overcharge. If they take the bait you are free to use skillshoes and pressure pretty hard.

Mesmers are not an easy matchup but doable. Most of them play really aggresively with their cooldowns and kite you. Dodge mirror blade, illusionary leap, don’t tank chaos storm nor blurred frenzy.
If you are condi you can static shield their blurred frenzy and skillfully proc a geomancy+doom kit swap, which combined with rng incendiary might force them to go defensive since they have no condi removal.

in Engineer

Posted by: Toxsa.2701

Toxsa.2701

Condition Engi with pistol/shield eats power ranger for breakfast.
Shield 4 shield 5, tool kit block, stealth, invulnerable, high vigor upt time so many ways to completely negates RF, which is Power ranger’s only burst. Use freeze grenade to shut down RF, and use like 4+ auto proc burning/bleeding/poison/vulnerable to cover up the freeze for an overkill. Basically condition engi hard-counters power ranger.

in Engineer

Toxsa.2701

For Longbow Ranger, I would recommend a Condition Build where you make good use of Tranquilizer Dart to lower the damage output of the Ranger by a lot (weakness). When he switches to Greatsword, you can do quite a bit of damage to him thanks to your Grenades. It’s often a foolish thing to do for the Ranger to swap out to his Greatsword (as most rangers can’t use it properly)

For Mesmer (Shatter I assume), it’s tough. A created an article regarding how to fight those guys. Might be worth a read for you. Again I would recommend Condition Damage here but Celestial and SD can also works. Issue is that Celestial can be kited easily while with SD you lack defense to survive any direct burst.

Hope this helps you!

Well actually condition engi has a pretty easy time against both ranger and mesmer because 1 relies so much on projectile, while other has terrible cleanse. Also your AOE spam, confusion spam, grenade spam can easily kill those clones so mesmer will have a much harder time doing his burst. Also you have many anti-burst tool like block and invulnerable, as well as auto protection if you get CCed first

in Engineer

Posted by: Nubu.6148

Nubu.6148

while other has terrible cleanse.

Simple no ….. wvw shatter mes hast his traited torch AND his cleansing mantra .

Nubú -Engie -Asura-
BNF-Bitte nicht füttern-
Smallscale <3 !

in Engineer

Toxsa.2701

while other has terrible cleanse.

Simple no ….. wvw shatter mes hast his traited torch AND his cleansing mantra .

Mantra is one trick pony, and basically can only use once before engage, because you can easily interrupt that long long animation. For PU, it sure is annoying to fight, but you can always run away from him by taking rocket boot whenever something goes wrong, and there’s no way mesmer is going to catch you. You basically can try as many times as you please, until all his stealth skills go into CD XD. If you just stand there letting his clones dish the damage while he goes invisible, you deserved to be killed XD.

Also, WvW has access to 40% condition duration food, so for classes like Mesmer who lacks cleanse, it’d be alot more difficult for him to manage himself once you interrupt that mantra.

in Engineer

Posted by: Nubu.6148

Nubu.6148

What ? U can use it twice and recharge it in stealth on a 20 seks cooldown xD . Nice onetrick pony ……
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fhAQNAR8flknpRtlpxINcrNipxg63ObOSGwElMkxB-TVBXgAAK/U3fIU3Qv6PPKBJFATisA-w

With this Build every mes has more than enough cleanse for ya engie…..

Nubú -Engie -Asura-
BNF-Bitte nicht füttern-
Smallscale <3 !

(edited by Nubu.6148)

in Engineer

Toxsa.2701

What ? U can use it twice and recharge it in stealth on a 20 seks cooldown xD . Nice onetrick pony ……
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fhAQNAR8flknpRtlpxINcrNipxg63ObOSGwElMkxB-TVBXgAAK/U3fIU3Qv6PPKBJFATisA-w

With this Build every mes has more than enough cleanse for ya engie…..

I have yet to find a mesmer that can catch me in WvW as engi XD. PU is just so slow in pacing. Zerker will usually die pretty quickly, plus I have many anti-burst tool :P
The OP is asking what’s good for fighting mesmer, and I propose Engi, that’s all.