best build for roaming engi/guard combo

in Engineer

Posted by: zaragoz.6351

zaragoz.6351

So my five man roaming team has all but fallen apart, and now its left with just me and a Bunker guardian. Basically he is the meatshield with some control and a little dps and I am the go to damage guy.

So my question is what do you guys think is the best build for running with this?

Ferguson’s Crossing
Zaragoz[SS] – 80 engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: drrobotnic.9387

drrobotnic.9387

Im still a novice, but expert in sitting at work bored reading engi builds. I have read a lot about P/P condition and use it now.

THe grenade build is a rather massive AOE damge boom boom maker. I would run that route that way guard can pull and you drop massive bombs on incoming kittens.

Read more though like I said my first 80 still learning.

in Engineer

Posted by: Goloith.6349

Goloith.6349

I would suggest looking at a P/P condition damage/duration build that stacks might. Grenades are nice, but tbh grenades work best ikittenerg. I would look for some of Masks builds, they’re pretty good.

I personally run with 100% condition duration P/P (can’t really stack HGH atm), but as of last patch with condition duration runes are broken so that build is broken. Once Giver’s weapons are fixed it will be possible to go 20/20/00/30/00 for the ultimate 100% condition duration/HGH build.

i7 920 OC 4.2Ghz, 2x 6970s in Eyefinity mode
Davidah (Guardian) Goloith (Engineer)
Achuni (Mesmer) Doreanora (Thief)

in Engineer

Posted by: Maskaganda.2043

Maskaganda.2043

I think I can answer you just fine, I’ve been duoing with a guardian buddy almost all the time last few weeks and it goes amazingly great. Just this morning, for example, we were attacking two different groups of 20+ opponents kiting and going back, killing a few at a time, sometimes one of us would die but we were never both downed at the same time.. we did this for 3h without wiping, got about 80 badges. We were pulling such insane fights that soon we started getting whispers about the other server’s map chat being filled with WTF, HOW COME THEY DON’T DIE WITH 20 HITTING THEM and similar.

Here’s how we run: I use my trusty p/p elixir+toolkit build, he uses shouts and cleric gear, perma vigor and heals on dodge. When stuff goes wrong and we need to run, we both have swiftness up pretty much constantly, I drop the 2 snare puddles (glue shot and box of nails), gear shield and elixir s if needed too. People tend to focus him more than me, partly because he is a huge norn and seems more menacing (thank you evolution) and partly because I’m tough to catch (cloaking device and toss S are good for this) most players giving up and focusing the slow moving monster.

here’s my latest video, check after 6:40 for duo fights with my guardian buddy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCjlwKWKVhs&feature=player_detailpage#t=401s

bare in mind those are average fights for us, the best of the best I -sadly- cannot record with this pc but usually involve us humiliating large groups.

Tchuu Tchuu I’m a Train – Gandara
engie roaming vids: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9NnXVfY4vRU1F-X7b1Oorw/videos

(edited by Maskaganda.2043)

in Engineer

Posted by: MentalPause.9183

MentalPause.9183

Yeah P/P seems to mesh well with a tanky Guardian. However if you were to take a look at an alternative to HGH P/P I’d take a look at this build (Amadeus runs the same exact thing so you can check out his thread for a more in-depth explanation https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/engineer/Drakeco-s-Videos-Traits-Com-Video-up/first):

http://www.gw2db.com/skills/calc/engineer#0|0|0|0|0|0|0|20|1795|1422|0|20|1433|1866|0|0|0|0|0|10|1015|0|0|20|1446|2270|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0

Similar concept, with a lot of extra confusion, in AoE as well, strong survival and control potential.

Hope that helps.

Fort Aspenwood WvW’er
Officer of Bloodwork [RED] http://bloodwork.boards.net/thread/145/interested-joining-red

in Engineer

Goloith.6349

I think I can answer you just fine, I’ve been duoing with a guardian buddy almost all the time last few weeks and it goes amazingly great. Just this morning, for example, we were attacking two different groups of 20+ opponents kiting and going back, killing a few at a time, sometimes one of us would die but we were never both downed at the same time.. we did this for 3h without wiping, got about 80 badges. We were pulling such insane fights that soon we started getting whispers about the other server’s map chat being filled with WTF, HOW COME THEY DON’T DIE WITH 20 HITTING THEM and similar.

Here’s how we run: I use my trusty p/p elixir+toolkit build, he uses shouts and cleric gear, perma vigor and heals on dodge. When stuff goes wrong and we need to run, we both have swiftness up pretty much constantly, I drop the 2 snare puddles (glue shot and box of nails), gear shield and elixir s if needed too. People tend to focus him more than me, partly because he is a huge norn and seems more menacing (thank you evolution) and partly because I’m tough to catch (cloaking device and toss S are good for this) most players giving up and focusing the slow moving monster.

here’s my latest video, check after 6:40 for duo fights with my guardian buddy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCjlwKWKVhs&feature=player_detailpage#t=401s

bare in mind those are average fights for us, the best of the best I -sadly- cannot record with this pc but usually involve us humiliating large groups.

Dear lord, that’s fantastic.

in Engineer

Goloith.6349

Can’t remember, but does Elixir S stop condition damage as well?

in Engineer

Posted by: Ayestes.1273

Ayestes.1273

No, unless you count the 409 removal of one of them.

Virydia – Hearld
Tirydia – Scrapper

in Engineer

Posted by: Oxstar.7643

Oxstar.7643

For damage I guess you could always ramp ur crit and condition damage as much as possible, use med kit, flamethrower, elixir B or U, and grenade kit, then 30 points into power, 30 points into crits, 10 points into gadgets, then get incindeary powder, static discharge, and juggernaught? Having flamethrower out empowers you, use it when your grenade skills are on cooldown. Use elixir U for increased speed, preferbly with flamethrower, then take whatever traits that makes you hit harder.

in Engineer

Maskaganda.2043

it does not clear conditions you have ticking but it does prevent you from taking new conditions since you evade all attacks (unlike warriors or rangers invulns).

@ op, regardless of how you spec, remember you shouldn’t go anywhere near berserking glass cannon just because your duo buddy is tanky. sooner or later you will get focused and you need every bit of survivability you can get, especially against thieves who will, generally, avoid attacking the guardian. I’m referring to 2vmany obviously.

engie roaming vids: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9NnXVfY4vRU1F-X7b1Oorw/videos

in Engineer

Oxstar.7643

it does not clear conditions you have ticking but it does prevent you from taking new conditions since you evade all attacks (unlike warriors or rangers invulns).

@ op, regardless of how you spec, remember you shouldn’t go anywhere near berserking glass cannon just because your duo buddy is tanky. sooner or later you will get focused and you need every bit of survivability you can get, especially against thieves who will, generally, avoid attacking the guardian. I’m referring to 2vmany obviously.

Well he did never say it was a 5man pvp team – I have a great build for being a surviable engy but still dishing out meaningful damage at the same time though.

in Engineer

zaragoz.6351

Okay so I’ve tried out your build Mask, and it really wasn’t that far off from what I was running, the main difference is yours has a bit more survivability vs my more dmg. I honestly know where your coming from with the zerkers, I was running 100 nades and wrecking peope but we were losing about every 2v 3+ we went against due me getting focused. I’ve kinda considered trying out hgh rifle/grenades utlizing a full set of zerkers armor with soldier back/trinkets dunno how they would work but meh..

It honestly seems that to do our best though we’re forced into conditions. So far tonight we have been winning some 2v4’s and 5’s but losing everything above that… Sad day, I have no idea how you guys managed to fight 20 people but hats off to you

Ferguson’s Crossing

in Engineer

Maskaganda.2043

heh, maybe I explained myself wrong, 2v6 is about the upper limit of people we can fight at the same time too. Any more than that and we kite away. We do, however, engage groups of 20+ and manage to survive and kill a few while kiting them away from the main group, who soon tires of the chase and turns around. We then go back for more :p
I will try to record something like this to show you guys, hopefuly it wont drop my framerate by too much.

(edited by Maskaganda.2043)

in Engineer

Posted by: Kontrolle.3514

Kontrolle.3514

Grenades and or bombs are cool for this duo with the GS pull and or the hammer circle you can have a couple of very nice oompf moments. But beware, i once killed my own brother (guard) with grenade barrage because one of the 15425 thiefs accidantly facerolled over roflstorm the moment i used the barrage^^

Atm i would also recommend the toolkit and a conditionspec you need decent toughness and survivaltools for duo IMO. Elixir S is a must have. So youve pretty much 1 slot left for anything but i would use a kit, e-gun or bombs. If you have enough condremove take the bombs.

Anyway your buddy needs the hammer! Magnet 1.2k range + circle of light. Everyone will hate you.

(edited by Kontrolle.3514)

in Engineer

Posted by: Guy Fawkes.2354

Guy Fawkes.2354

Hi Maskaganda, can you please post your build here, because it is not possible to open your youtube vids here.

Thanks and I hope I get in touch with your vids soon.

in Engineer

Maskaganda.2043

in Engineer

Posted by: Guy Fawkes.2354

Guy Fawkes.2354

thanks m8, do you ue rabid or carrion gear for wvw? I am currently leveling my engi so I am searching for some good input. I think I will go for rabid, undead runes and not for condition duration

in Engineer

Maskaganda.2043

check my video threads, most of the information is there, no need to derail this thread :p
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/engineer/Paradigm-SHIFT-a-wvw-movie

in Engineer

Posted by: lindstroem.3601

lindstroem.3601

DonĀ“t like your trait selection especially in Firearms. Rifled Barrels are rather pointless cause as P/P you are more or less in melee- to mid-range all the time during the fight, because of the higher damage/more burning stacks of Blowtorch and the reduced misschance of Poison Dart. (In my personal opinion) Coated Bullets are a waste, cause only #1 profites from it, but depends on the personal style.
Also is Invigorating Speed (Alchemy) and Infused Precision(Firearms) missing. Especially as a roamer and for survivability its just too nice to have permanend swiftness and vigor up (what means the possibilty to have at least one evade ready about every 3rd second). Cant imagine my P/P Engineer without it anymore, cause after all you have to stay alive that your conditions can do noticable damage.

(edited by lindstroem.3601)

in Engineer

Maskaganda.2043

I get it, I’ve struggled with those decisions too. rifled barrels and coated bullets are not mandatory in this build, I like them both tho. p2 also benefits from coated bullets, and I like that trait especially to deal damage to clusters of enemies and people reviving, also dealing double damage with p1 when shooting from above/max range. rifled barrels is a good trait to have when chasing someone or skirmishing a large group, the more room you have to kite when they all start chasing you, the better. not to mention tower/keep defense offense.
Like I said they are not mandatory traits and they are not valuable in every situation, but this is a wvw roaming build which I use to great success.

and I do have permanent swiftness while in combat, no need for invigorating speed. I run with +70% boon duration and elixir B/H/hidden flask/toss B, guardian boons, check my videos and u’ll see.

in Engineer

Posted by: lindstroem.3601

lindstroem.3601

Sure you have swiftness for a long time. But the main reason for Invigorating Speed is to have a high Vigor-proc-rate and not to gain swiftness (what is nice nevertheless).

in Engineer

zaragoz.6351

His build does in fact work well, although I dropped the 10 points in inventions for 10 points in explosives to pick up incendiary powder as I like running this build with full rabid. I hadn’t used coated bullets or rifled barrel in FOREVER… but to be honest for a roamer its great, it gives me the ability to really play the fringes of combat while my guardian friend distracts them with knockdowns and such right up in the middle of things.

While invigorating speed is pretty nice I honestly don’t feel it is mandatory at all. With this build you get 2 dodges, elixir s, and gear shield, that is quite a lot of defense not to mention a possible stealth with toss elixir s… It also has good condition removal, and with rabid you get a ton of toughness as well as around 19,400 health from speccing down the vitality tree. Just my two cents, but its working well for me and my guardian buddy.

With that being said I’m still leaning into trying a rifle HGH grenade build eventually, but I have a feeling it won’t match up as confusion is just to good in wvw.. 1 pry bar is insta win against alot of GC theives, but we will see.

Ferguson’s Crossing

in Engineer

Oxstar.7643

It is worth mentioning that if you decide to use bombs, tools actually has a grandmaster trait that heals you, which gives you little more survivability.

in Engineer

Posted by: Kardiamond.6952

Kardiamond.6952

Zaragoz→

I’m roaming a lot with a group of 2 Elem (both tanky and hard to kill) and a thief. I’m always, always focus fired. Elem and thief are annoying to kill, so they focus the little engineer in the back.

I use a modified version of my demented build for that. I would say overall, mask build might be a bit better, since it does more damage and have more condition removal, but I mostly use it to disengage when under pressure, and AoE in group fight.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcAQJAqal0pic38ynF1LJyIFdmoFqA+JqQl95hclWRIA;ToAgyCpo0yolQLrWOtkaN8YuA

Give it a try. You play it a bit like Mask build.

Few tips :

If your ally got blast finisher, use smoke bomb just before a fight to stack a good amount of stealth and abuse culling. If you can find a thief that spam blast finisher, it’s perfect.

During team fight, you can open up with slick shoe if they are grouped up, and stun the entire group for 2-4 second. Really nice to stack some damage.

When pressured in a fight, use slick shoe, glue, or super speed to have some space and heal. Don’t worry about using your super speed before retreating, it will reset if you are in trouble.

To escape, use your glue bomb, glue shop, nail, big ol bomb, super speed. All those abilities should make you escape nearly any average zerg.

I don’t know if you will have enought damage with your guardian, but 12 stack of confusion can hit really hard. And you should survive mostly anything.

Rotthen (Necro) / Zhyx (Engineer) /Inglorious Beasterd (Ranger)
Server : Anvil Rock (Since Release!) [SOLO]