cooldown when "picking up" a turret? why?

in Engineer

Posted by: Khallis.5708

Khallis.5708

seems pretty silly to me, i understand if you destroy it or it gets destroyed but if i literally walk over to it and hit the “pick up” key. i should get no cooldown at all.

in Engineer

Posted by: Fragment.2793

Fragment.2793

Because they hate us and they hate our turrets.

in Engineer

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

Because it would be very easy to keep your turrets alive permanently by picking them up whenever they got low and placing them again repeatedly.

Perhaps there could be an increased reduction on cooldown tied to health remaining…

in Engineer

Posted by: Khallis.5708

Khallis.5708

Because it would be very easy to keep your turrets alive permanently by picking them up whenever they got low and placing them again repeatedly.

Perhaps there could be an increased reduction on cooldown tied to health remaining…

because turrets are so devastating? I mean i know i have heard many times ’omg watch out that Engineer has turrets up … run away"

in Engineer

Posted by: Ahlen.7591

Ahlen.7591

Because turrets are OP. Super OP.

in Engineer

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

because turrets are so devastating? I mean i know i have heard many times ’omg watch out that Engineer has turrets up … run away"

No one says things like that about any profession.

If turrets are subpar, the best thing to do would be to make them better. Relying on keeping them up indefinitely through avoiding cooldowns wouldn’t be a great fix IMO.

in Engineer

Posted by: Berengar.6951

Berengar.6951

Just take a second to think about how OP healing turret would become

Engineer, Thief, Mesmer, Elementalist, Guardian,Warrior, Necro
[KoM] Krewe of Misfits
[IB]Inglorious Basterdz

in Engineer

Posted by: K U T M.4539

K U T M.4539

2.6k HP/s np

Basic [BS] NSP/Mag

in Engineer

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

No one says things like that about any profession.

If turrets are subpar, the best thing to do would be to make them better. Relying on keeping them up indefinitely through avoiding cooldowns wouldn’t be a great fix IMO.

Thief just popped thieves guild, look out.

Uh oh, illusions running up to shatter, look out.

Incoming spirit ranger, quick, kill the spirits asap.

in Engineer

Knote.2904

Barely, they die in 2 hits.

But they should be no longer than 10 second when picked up.

in Engineer

Posted by: Necrotize.2974

Necrotize.2974

IMO picking up turrets should reduce the cd by a reasonable amount because as it stands, there is absolutely no reason to pick them up. To pick them up you not only need to get close to them, but they also perform none of their effects if picked up(IE, they don’t perform their overcharge when destroyed if you have the trait) and they don’t even do the damage associated being detonated. I don’t think a standard cd reduction would work though as some turrets, namely heal and rifle have shorter cds while things like thumper and rocket have longer cds and would probably be fine with a greater cd reduction.

in Engineer

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

there is absolutely no reason to pick them up

25% reduced recharge for picking up a turret. Picking up Rifle: 15s cd. Picking up Net: 22s cd.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

in Engineer

Posted by: Brew Pinch.5731

Brew Pinch.5731

Reducing the cooldown on offensive turrets to some degree when picked up would go a long way to make them more viable.

Obviously that change couldn’t affect healing turret without Engineers becoming near invincible.

in Engineer

Knote.2904

Reducing the cooldown on offensive turrets to some degree when picked up would go a long way to make them more viable.

Obviously that change couldn’t affect healing turret without Engineers becoming near invincible.

This, make them all a flat 10 second cooldown when picked up. (Except healing turret obv)

in Engineer

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Here is my thinking:

Track turret stats internally at all times.

When a turret is picked up, do not destroy in game engine terms, but instead store its state somewhere. At the same time, put a icon alongside the boons.

Said icon is a indicator that you are now carrying a turret. A turret that can instantly be deployed again by hitting the relevant skill button. The turret such deployed have the state of the turret picked up, with all cooldowns continuing from where they left off.

While carrying turrets, their detonate toolbelt skills should remain active. And if pressed, will destroy the turrets and cause a blast centered on the engineer.

Optionally, introduce a trait that allow carried turrets to cause relevant effects based on trigger conditions (periodic, attack, crit, affected by CC and so on).

in Engineer

Posted by: SaintSnow.6593

SaintSnow.6593

If this effect was only for utility turrets then yes maybe that could help the sad state they are already in. But if it effected the healing turret we would have a constant heal+condi cleanse at all times with no cool-down. I mean I’m not against this as I would love to be extremely overpowered but I don’t think it would fly with the rest of the community.

Säïnt

in Engineer

digiowl.9620

If this effect was only for utility turrets then yes maybe that could help the sad state they are already in. But if it effected the healing turret we would have a constant heal+condi cleanse at all times with no cool-down. I mean I’m not against this as I would love to be extremely overpowered but I don’t think it would fly with the rest of the community.

Internal cooldown?

in Engineer

Posted by: SaintSnow.6593

SaintSnow.6593

Internal cooldown?

If I was to be talking about your idea, then I cant see the difference between the current heal turret and yours. If the internal cd remained after I used the heal and picked it up then even if I carried it to another location, I still wouldn’t be able to use its primary function. Now if this were to be applied with the other turrets then it would be better but I feel this could be abused as then you could pick them up to prevent destruction to them and of course bring them to any small skirmish. Yea the overcharges would be on internal cd but would that really matter? As long as you can keep your turret alive easily is really what matters.

Säïnt

in Engineer

digiowl.9620

Running around like a headless chicken to rotate the turrets back to full health do not sound like easy to me. Unless you stack them in one place. But then one good AOE can wipe them out, unless they get much more health then they currently have.

in Engineer

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

Oddly enough, the current mechanic is what prevents people from leaving healing turret deployed. It is always better to immediately pick up or pop the healing turret, because leaving it deployed could mean it gets destroyed and then forces the full cooldown on you, severely limiting your healing.

If there was more leniency in turret cooldowns (i.e. counts down from when the turret is deployed, not destroyed/picked up), then there would actually be a point in leaving healing turret deployed. Without the prospect of completely denying yourself your own healing, you could leave it deployed to give the AoE regen, which is supposed to be the whole idea behind the turret anyways. Right now it’s just a glorified water bomb.

Mind you, I don’t think there should just be no downtime for turrets at all (i.e. like the old spirits), but some additional leniency could possibly be one step to making them more relevant in the game.