future engineer

future engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: zaxon.6819

zaxon.6819

can someone with knowedge of the class tell me if you think anet will buff nerf or leave you the same in future patches…

i want to try a new profession… but the way anet treated mesmers up until now makes me alittle skeptical of putting the effort into leveling a character.

the thing i dont want is to put a bunch of effort into something just to have it nerfed to a garbage state like mesmers see each patch.

future engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: XelNigma.6315

XelNigma.6315

Its hard to say, some of the patches here lately with changing to the healing turret and even the buff to turrets before, oh and finally getting around to fixing deployable turrets trait. Its VERY out of character. Dont know if we should take these things as a sign of good things to come or if they are simply throwing us a bone to shut us up for a while.
Probably to shut us up.

future engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Plague.5046

Plague.5046

Not sure what you mean, mesmers are one of the best classes right now.

Engineers have been typically the underdogs but they are gradually being improved with each patch.

future engineer

in Engineer

zaxon.6819

aye. mesmers have nowhere to go but down. every patch forces 50% of mesmers to farm a full set of new gear. the only trait spec that has not been destroyed is a shatter build so far. i want a stable class that has spec options that are not going to go away each patch.

future engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Plague.5046

Plague.5046

Well then I’d say engy might be a good choice, then. They are pretty middle of the line/lowish in terms of dumb strength (spamming, easy builds) so they aren’t too susceptible to any nerfs that I could think of. In addition, I would say all their weapon combos and multiple trait lines are viable.

future engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

You are most likely looking at the wrong class if you are looking for a class that wont be nerfed in the future. Just go to monthly patch notes and look at our changes every month.

What is happening right now with our class is that devs are throwing out buffs to our turrets trying to get them playable (Ironically they screwed up the engineer traits this last patch none of the turret traits work) so I predict we’ll get a few more hp buffs on turrets, but hgh might get hit. Probably through internal trait cooldowns because devs enjoy throwing internal cooldowns at us. Best case scenario sigil of might gets nerfed instead.

Other than a possible hgh nerf, I don’t think there would be anything else left to hit after that though.

future engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Earthmonkey.4326

Earthmonkey.4326

Engineers have really been right in the area ANet has wanted them since launch, and it’s really been a balancing act of bringing other classes down, or up to the Engi’s level.

That said, we STILL have some broken mechanics that need fixing, with certain traits not working quite right, along with signet/rune issues as well.

Did they ever fix the weapon sigils not working with our kits btw?

future engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Nilix.2170

Nilix.2170

Engineers can manage to do almost everything combat wise except Fear. Because of this, Engineers get hit with something that I like to call “Nerf by Association”. Part of what comes with this whole “Jack of all trades” thing is that whenever anything gets changed in the game, the engineer is affected. As illustrated in last patch, changes to confusion affected Skill 3 on Pistol, Skill 3 on Bomb Kit, and Skill 3 on Tool Kit. Changes to Frenzy and Haste affected Elixir U. Elixir S and Mist Form were nerfed simultaneously because they are effectively the same skill.

And yes, Weapon Sigils work on Kits. We had to take a nerf to Grenades in order to get it.

Mortar Shot is STILL nerfed by 28%
Purity of Purpose

future engineer

in Engineer

Earthmonkey.4326

Oh, well that’s pretty cool that they got sigils working. I’m fine with the nerf to Grenades … seeing as it must not have been much to begin with, looking at where nades are now.

future engineer

in Engineer

Penguin.5197

Not much? It got a 30% damage reduction on #1 during December. Basically our traited grenade throws today are equal to untraited grenades back then, and yeah they were useful back then without requiring hgh.

future engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Specterryu Quipter.8412

Specterryu Quipter.8412

I’ll keep this brief, this isn’t the class for you. Take a look at the Warrior or Guardian if you want something that will not be nerfed to oblivion.

Character is higher than intellect. A great soul will be strong to live, as well as think.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

future engineer

in Engineer

Earthmonkey.4326

Yeah, but without that nerf, HGH nades right now would actually be OP, instead of just “on the bubble”.

future engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: luckywaldo.6089

luckywaldo.6089

Rule #1 of being an engineer is to never get too attached to any trait or utility, because it’s probabably going to end up being changed.

Unless it’s a trait that another class shares for fewer points. Like the 30-point trait for 50% extra endurance regeneration that rangers have at 5-points. Go ahead at get comfortable with that, because it isn’t going anywhere.

Or else something that has random effects, like thrown elixirs. You can be assured that those will continue to be random.

But for the most part you can’t play the class and try to be good at it. You can only play and have fun with how goofy and crazy it is. And maybe accidentally do some damage when someone gets in the way of your engie antics. (Never get in the way of engie antics)

Ecce Machina ~ Engineer
Ars Est Mortem ~ Necromancer

future engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

It’s hard to say what they’ll do however they have about 7 months of PVE nerfs to work out, because the class build choices for PVE are dwindling at best. The problem is no burst DPS to speak of, sure we can put on all zerker gear, but putting lipstick on a pig doesn’t do anything either.

I think it’s something they’ll be working on until judgement day.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

future engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

Besides sigils working, after the 30% nade nerf the devs also added weapon stats to kits. Those two things bring nade 1 in PvE/WvW back a little bit to what it used to be, although it was a harsher nerf in PvP. My personal opinion is that they could have done those all in the same patch, rather than rubber-banding the skill’s effectiveness from great, to bad, to pretty good over the course of a couple months…but that’s just me.

But to reiterate: the devs are certainly not done with engineers, and you should expect to see significant nerfs and/or buffs in several patches in the near future.

future engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: tuskan.1205

tuskan.1205

Engineers have been in a bad place since forever. That being said, I have never known anet to make a mess this big without cleaning it up. We will definitely be buffed at some point, but probably not in the near future.

Tuskan, Engineer Extraordinaire

future engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

In this world are only 2 things what you can predict with 100% success:
1. sunrise
2. engineer nerf next patch:-)

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

future engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

Not sure what you mean, mesmers are one of the best classes right now.

Engineers have been typically the underdogs but they are gradually being improved with each patch.

Depends on what you mean “mesmers are one of the best classes right now” ‘cause in spvp it’s so not true.

I am leveling my Engineer – and having much more fun with it than I did with my mesmer which ALWAYS seemed underpowered in lower levels and certainly in spvp.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

future engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Kalan.9705

Kalan.9705

People ask for mesmer. People don’t ask for engineer.

future engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: JubeiTM.5763

JubeiTM.5763

Respect the tradition. 1 major nerf/month.

future engineer

in Engineer

zaxon.6819

the only reason mesmers are viable in pvp is because they trick stupid people. if they didnt have the clones that should be ignored thier utility wouldnt be that great. the fact taht anyone falls for clones this late in the game is a l2 kitten ue and mesmers will get nerfed until clones are balanced for brand new players to fight against.. so im jumping that ship early because it takes alot of nerfing to balance vs a player who puts no effort into learning the basics of other classes.

vs most people in spvp i could just sit with staff making clones and never shattering them with 0 traits and end up winning. so that profession is destine for bad things.

engineer seems fun and dynamic already to me. seems like it takes alittle more skill and alittle less gimic / tricking dummies to win. so ill try and see that as a good sign for the professions future.

anet is alittle trigger happy on nerfs/odd balance choices. if engineer getgs screwed over im out of gw2 anyway so its worth the effort before abandoning the game all together.

(edited by zaxon.6819)

future engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Here’s the thing: this gaming is ever-changing, ever-evolving, ever-balancing. Whether players like the choices Anet makes or not, every month will bring skill/trait changes. One month Engi (or any profession) could get a huge buff & become top on the dps charts. Next month, it gets nerfed and is middle of the road. A build gets squashed, another rises, it gets squashed, another rises….you get the idea.

Nobody can predict what Anet will do with any particular profession. Play the one you enjoy; the one that has an engaging, dynamic playstyle that you find fun. If you wanna hack n’ whack stuff with a plethora of weapons, play your warrior. If you wanna burn things with a bombs, grenades, and flamethrowers, play an engi. Find one you enjoy.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

future engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: BrimstoneAshe.5043

BrimstoneAshe.5043

The engineer “changes” over the past few patches end up making a lot of engineers spend money/time on re-gearing. The same frustration you had on your mesmer. It will certainly happen again. ANet said in the last State of the Game they’re going to nerf grenades again. So if you’re leveling one up. Don’t get too attached to the ’Nades.

Asuran Engineer – Norn Ranger
[KAOS] of Anvil Rock

future engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Specterryu Quipter.8412

Specterryu Quipter.8412

The engineer “changes” over the past few patches end up making a lot of engineers spend money/time on re-gearing. The same frustration you had on your mesmer. It will certainly happen again. ANet said in the last State of the Game they’re going to nerf grenades again. So if you’re leveling one up. Don’t get too attached to the ’Nades.

Can you link this for us?

Character is higher than intellect. A great soul will be strong to live, as well as think.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

future engineer

in Engineer

Penguin.5197

Can you link this for us?

They talked about how they were thinking about toning down grenades a bit more in the last SOG, but were also considering that they were skill shots and all that.

future engineer

in Engineer

zaxon.6819

and from ANETS history they do follow through with thier nerfs and are not as consistant in following through with thier buffs/fixes.

future engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Nilix.2170

Nilix.2170

People ask for mesmer. People don’t ask for engineer.

Because Mesmers have a pretty distinct role in most groups. Distract enemies with misinformation to lower their DPS. Apply AOE Quickness to enhance our DPS.

Engineers haven’t defined a group-related role strong enough to be publicly desired.

Mortar Shot is STILL nerfed by 28%
Purity of Purpose

future engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

This pretty much is the key reason I left WoW in Cata because the devs there kept doing that too and come to find out it was the #1 complaint during that time I wasn’t the only one. Just like Anet has done, Blizz didn’t separate the PVE PVP WVW and with every patch (which was weekly sometimes) they’d come out with a nerf to hunters. The difference is in this game, it costs big time because not only is the class balance messed up but the TP has been suffering from inflation since launch. I’d almost ask for the bots back to correct the prices because it’s literally trippled since Nov. back then the items I followed which were the most costly items for rebuilding cost 3 gold, in march they were 6 gold, and now they are 9, and one of them, a rune, is 11 gold each! That’s crazy!

We’ll see what happens next but I have serious doubts that the fixes will be quick or well placed as I’ve become jaded about the past 7 months of nerfs we’ve all experienced.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!