gaming mouse needed?

gaming mouse needed?

in Engineer

Posted by: Ryn.6459

Ryn.6459

Hi everyone,
…Guess just what title says. Is a gaming mouse needed to play engis properly? Or in others words: how many of you guys that main an engi have a gaming mouse?

Learning English, any correction is very welcome.

gaming mouse needed?

in Engineer

Posted by: Maskaganda.2043

Maskaganda.2043

I play with one (g500s) and it helps to have half my keybinds on the mouse, I really can’t play without it due to habit.

however, this isn’t a game that requires too many keybinds, at most you’ll have 17 or 18 keys needed, including target call, weapon swap, look behind and dodge. you can probably work something out with a regular mouse and keyboard. I think you can bind key combos too in gw2 like shift+1, not sure atm.

there’s also nothing specific about engie requiring a gaming mouse, just as many keys to press as an ele or mesmer, one more than guardians.

Tchuu Tchuu I’m a Train – Gandara
engie roaming vids: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9NnXVfY4vRU1F-X7b1Oorw/videos

gaming mouse needed?

in Engineer

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

it’s not needed but makes things a lot easier to handle.
i don’t use one, though.

gaming mouse needed?

in Engineer

Posted by: Kuhaku.1405

Kuhaku.1405

It’s not needed at all, although it does help a bit.
I keybinded most of my keys to the left side of my keyboard:

v=1 x=2 c=3 q=4 e=5
r=F1 t=F2 g=F3 b=F4
1=heal 2= utility 1 3= utility 2 4= utility 3 5= elite

I do use a g502 gaming mouse, but the only things I put on my mouse is the dodge on my thumb button (previously I had it on Shift cause V was in use) and weapon swap on the button next to the left-click button (the original button still works too).

Just expect to button smash a lot and needing some time to adjust to it.

gaming mouse needed?

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

Heyheyy

I don’t have a gaming mouse, I have a for my hand confortable mouse without dozents of keys.

For my keysetting, I’m using:
WASD for movement, and 12345CRTZ6 for the weapon skills, heal, utility, elite. The “C” for heal was handy because it was my heal in Battlefield Heroes xD back in those days :P

I have no problems with that

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

gaming mouse needed?

in Engineer

Posted by: yiksing.9432

yiksing.9432

Most definitely get your hands on the logitech G600 or similar mouse with 12 buttons for your thumbs if you play an engineer, if not for entering numbers super fast when using window’s Calculator app.

gaming mouse needed?

in Engineer

Posted by: Sagramor.7395

Sagramor.7395

Logitech G400s. As long as you have a keybind setup that works for you you don’t need an insane amount of thumb buttons.

gaming mouse needed?

in Engineer

Posted by: dereck.8354

dereck.8354

It’s possible to use shift+ something as key binding. I use QERF and a button in my mouse as keys for skills 12345. The skills from 6 to elite, i use as shift+ QERF. For instance, the heal is shift+F. The elite is shift+ mouse button. The F1 through F4 abilities I’ve binded as 1,2,3,4.

gaming mouse needed?

in Engineer

Posted by: Bloodgruve.6038

Bloodgruve.6038

Not needed but…

I would quit gaming if I didn’t have these,

Logitech g600
and
Razer Nostromo

Keybind how you want, over 31 buttons and ways to multiply that up. I love the directional pad, game how gaming was meant to be done, forget WASD. I have dodge, jump and ‘shift’ keyed to the mouse so I can easily trigger my toolbelts and maintain mobility. I highly suggest this setup to anyone gaming. It takes a bit to get used to but once you’ve got it its great. Been working this setup for 14 years across many games. If you want to look at this more closely I’d be happy to share my setup and experiences.

Best investment I’ve made other then a quality gaming chair

Blood~

“Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance”

(edited by Bloodgruve.6038)

gaming mouse needed?

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

i used to have a 5 button standard mouse but my razer hex really helped out

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

gaming mouse needed?

in Engineer

Posted by: Treeoflife.4031

Treeoflife.4031

Razer Naga all day! Really does help to have at least 4 buttons on the side. The naga i got has 12 and i dont use half of them.

Guild Leader of Rebel Dps [ReD]
~Glitch

gaming mouse needed?

in Engineer

dereck.8354

Not needed but…

I would quit gaming if I didn’t have these,

Logitech g600
and
Razer Nostromo

Keybind how you want, over 31 buttons and ways to multiply that up. I love the directional pad, game how gaming was meant to be done, forget WASD. I have dodge, jump and ‘shift’ keyed to the mouse so I can easily trigger my toolbelts and maintain mobility. I highly suggest this setup to anyone gaming. It takes a bit to get used to but once you’ve got it its great. Been working this setup for 14 years across many games. If you want to look at this more closely I’d be happy to share my setup and experiences.

Best investment I’ve made other then a quality gaming chair

Blood~

Oh man, this razor is not a mouse, is a spaceship. LOL.

gaming mouse needed?

in Engineer

Bloodgruve.6038

I grew up with console games, I firmly believe a d-pad is a necessary part of gaming.

gaming mouse needed?

in Engineer

Posted by: Jeff.5489

Jeff.5489

I have a Logitech g700s. Not as many buttons as the g600 but still quite useful. Mappings:
wasd- move/strafe
middle click- dodge
mouse wheel left and right- about face (can never remember which one it is in a hurry so I just use either and I’m never wrong)
shift + mouse wheel left or right – weapon swap (I forget what actual key I have mapped for it but mouse is mapped to shift + that key)
c – skill 1
2,3,4,5 – skills 2-5
mouse side buttons (1-4) – skills 2-5
shift + 2-5 – toolbelt skills 1-4
Top three mouse buttons- kits 7, 8, 9 (mapped to shift +x, shift +c, shift + v)
r – elite skill
e – turret

The way I use this is as follows:
my hand never leaves wasd. I can switch kits on the top three buttons of my mouse easily. My thumb naturally rests on the ‘c’ key anyway so that’s my grenade spam button. Other skills are my thumb on the side of the mouse. I grab the shift key with my pinky and mouse buttons are now utility skills. I can drop HT or supply crate with my left index finger but that’s the only time I actually need to move a finger off of wasd in order to do something. It took a lot of practice to get used to this but I really like it now and can’t really play with any other setup.

gaming mouse needed?

in Engineer

dereck.8354

I bought the logitech G600 yesterday. Thank you for the tip bloodgruve. It’ll arrive in a few days.

gaming mouse needed?

in Engineer

Posted by: ukuni.8745

ukuni.8745

im useing a razor naga, i only use my 6-0 skills on it and everything else is all with my left hand, everything is defult for me to so E and Q are still turn which apparently isnt what the pros do but kittenm i find those keys so handy when i need to kite and throw nades

Still Winning And Grinning (Swag)
Ukune – Engineer of Maguuma
Check me out on YouTube

gaming mouse needed?

in Engineer

Bloodgruve.6038

I bought the logitech G600 yesterday. Thank you for the tip bloodgruve. It’ll arrive in a few days.

It will take a bit to get the feel for it. Its wider n taller then normal and has a third ‘click’ along with all the thumb buttons. Don’t get frustrated with it though, take time to learn it. The default speed really threw me for a loop to, thought I’d made a mistake buying it until I dialed in the correct tracking speed. I had to run at a higher DPI.

When you get used to that check out the Nostromo too. The directional pad puts all movement on your thumb and mouse look leaving open 2 to 3 extra fingers to do other stuff easier like hitting buttons that kill things other then strafing or turning.

Hope it works for ya. I like to think this setup mitigates a bit for my lack of skill

gaming mouse needed?

in Engineer

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

gotta agree with bloodgruve, my mouse only has 2 additional buttons, but the Nostromo has EVERYTHING else covered without the need to be a finger contortionist.
makes gaming so much better than using a keyboard and trying to stretch to distant keys

gaming mouse needed?

in Engineer

Bloodgruve.6038

gotta agree with bloodgruve, my mouse only has 2 additional buttons, but the Nostromo has EVERYTHING else covered without the need to be a finger contortionist.
makes gaming so much better than using a keyboard and trying to stretch to distant keys

I actually upgraded from a 2 button mouse to the G600 specifically for Engineer to work with my setup. I needed 3 buttons but I got an extra 12 just in case.

gaming mouse needed?

in Engineer

Posted by: Wyrden.4713

Wyrden.4713

i play both ele , engi and mesmer without a gaming mouse, one hand on keyboard and one hand on mouse

its not that difficult ones u get used to it… or i just got large fingers…

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

gaming mouse needed?

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

I grew up with console games, I firmly believe a d-pad is a necessary part of gaming.

d-pads are evil!!

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

gaming mouse needed?

in Engineer

Posted by: VitalSuit.1980

VitalSuit.1980

I just use Q, E, and R.
Even though I have a Logitech G600 I only use the 6 button on the mouse to heal and the middle mouse for the elite.

gaming mouse needed?

in Engineer

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

tl;dr: yes.
/15schars

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

gaming mouse needed?

in Engineer

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

My mouse only has two extra-buttons and I’m doing just fine. And those two extra-buttons are used for “about face” and “target nearest enemy”, so yeah…

The most important remapping I’ve ever done is to disable dodge on double-tap and bind it to mousewheel-clicking.

gaming mouse needed?

in Engineer

Posted by: SaveTheQueen.3265

SaveTheQueen.3265

I have Logitech G600 and have loved it. Would recommend. However, there are several buttons that I do not use with the G600. It may be a little overkill for this game.