how you kill engi

how you kill engi

in Engineer

Posted by: joukuoj.2075

joukuoj.2075

Hi
i playing tournaments only, played against bunker engi 1vs1 didnt kill him with my ranger(get him to +-15%hp), but now i played agaisnt engi which didnt take any dmg from 3 ppl. My rapid fire hit him (2500crit dmg) and his hp didnt change(no evade, no elixir s) and it wasnt 1vs1 but 3vs1(so 3ppl hitting 1 person and he take no dmg-again no elixir s or evade), but later his hp drop from no reason and he went down(actually we didnt know how). I only tested engi for few hours(mostly to know what skills other classes have in sPVP). If some1 told us that we were noobs ok but tell me what he was using because i found only elixir s, which make engi invulnerable(but game tell you this, but we actually was hitting him for dmg and his hp didnt go down)

how you kill engi

in Engineer

Posted by: Lupanic.6502

Lupanic.6502

Toolkit has a gear schield blocking damage. You can equip toolkit use the gear shield and switch back to your weapon and start shooting while still blocking.
Blocking for 3 sec. Maybe it was something like that.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gear_Shield

how you kill engi

in Engineer

joukuoj.2075

thats 3 secs, ok in that fight maybe i missed it but it say block, but like i wrote above all my skills did dmg(or at least game was telling me that, dont wanna talk about other 2 ppl). You can see block/invulnerable/evade, but all i saw was dmg what i did(even with retalitaion you cant take no dmg) and aegis block 1 attack. im interest in 2500crit dmg think it was last hit from rapid fire(i really observed fight, because before this we fight him 3vs1 and didnt killed him so next time i was thinking to check more things to see what i missed) but from start rapid fire all of it did dmg and his hp didnt move(no evade/block/invulnerable) + other 2 ppl from my team on him doing same thing like me(trying kill 1 engi). I only want know how i can do dmg and enemy hp remain same. Actually dont know if aegis pop up “block” or only you do no dmg, but still aegis cant protect you against 3 ppl for 15secs(yes im sure it was min 15secs, i was checking all boons and conditions on him too) he took no dmg from 3 ppl and when i was already down(still was checking him) he went from 30%hp to down state without reason

edit: i dont have problems with death/lossing match, but everytime i knew why i died and why enemy survive-boons, conditions, heals all i saw without problems(like i wrote tested all classes at mists to know what they can do so if i see little engi i know he use elixir s and i know why he is immortal, reflect projectiles, block and so on), but noone knew from my team how this engi survive or which skills he used to take no dmg

(edited by joukuoj.2075)

how you kill engi

in Engineer

Posted by: Lupanic.6502

Lupanic.6502

We have no easy access to aegis (we can only convert conditions to boons once every 40 sec (Elixier C)). We have no “I survive button” beside Elixier S.
In my point of view it is not possible that you see the damage number and the Engineer stay untouched.

As I say, we can block with the schield or gear schield. But this is blocking for some seconds nothing more. No magic. 3 people hitting us = we die.

how you kill engi

in Engineer

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

Just a wild guess, but maybe it was something very simple:

let’s say he was a support-bunker engineer, using healing bombs (GM trait) and Elixir Gun. Wearing + healing gear as well.

If he stood in his Super Elixir Light field, used his heal, and on top of that was spamming bombs to heal himself. Maybe even helped by regeneration from using a kit (trait as well)… than he can outheal a LOT.

Not forever, once his Super Elixir lightfield is gone, his heal is used… he’s down to his healing bombs and maybe passive regen.

Could you see if the engineer was doing a bomb animation? It looks like he’s constantly dropping something on the ground with one hand.
And did you notice if he was standing in a big white light field?

I’m not saying this is the explanation, but that would be my guess.

If you didn’t see any messages, maybe he simply outhealed you for a while.
To outheal 3 dps is not very common, so it’s a long shot.

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

(edited by Kimbald.2697)

how you kill engi

in Engineer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Or lag spike. Not sure what you saw from him in terms of movement or skill activation. Or what the other 2 guys saw. But maybe you saw your dmg #s, his HP didn’t budge, then all of a sudden it caught up and down he went? I dunno, just a guess.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

how you kill engi

in Engineer

Posted by: nakoda.4213

nakoda.4213

ya, if you describe the weapons he was using it will help us dismantle the build and see what was going on in that fight.

Hell, it could have been me, last night in a tourney I held henge for 2 minutes against sustained assault from a guard, a ranger, and a necro, with other people stopping in from time to time as they respawned.

I use rockets, net turret, rifle, medkit, and flame thrower. i have protective shield (protection when crit) and protection injection (protection when disabled), in addition to 2.5k armor and 26k HP.

So, no I am not easy to kill.

And .. there are many builds even bunkier than mine…

Boundaries are for the effortless.
Benn E Violence :: 0/20/30/20/0
You kittens don’t even know what the prefix “meta” means.

how you kill engi

in Engineer

Posted by: redslion.9675

redslion.9675

I think it was a bomb healing build with Cleric’s amulet: you also get tons of protection, meaning you can outheal easily tons of damage. It’s not impossible to hold three people at once, if they are not coordinated/they are not all glass cannons (for instance: you could hold 3 bunker eles easily, maybe). The build has very low health though (17k), and if you get spiked without getting the chance to heal you REALLY risk to die quickly.

Immobilizes are particularly dangerous: healing builds use medkit because of the good bandage scaling. But you have to be able to move in order to heal yourself with them. That’s why you see them running around in circles.

You will never be able to know what an engineer is going to do next…

because he doesn’t know it himself

how you kill engi

in Engineer

Kimbald.2697

Or lag spike. Not sure what you saw from him in terms of movement or skill activation. Or what the other 2 guys saw. But maybe you saw your dmg #s, his HP didn’t budge, then all of a sudden it caught up and down he went? I dunno, just a guess.

this actually sounds very plausible.

how you kill engi

in Engineer

Posted by: Emapudapus.1307

Emapudapus.1307

Immobilizes are particularly dangerous: healing builds use medkit because of the good bandage scaling. But you have to be able to move in order to heal yourself with them. That’s why you see them running around in circles.

I agree imbolize is the most dangerous (beside knocks) but not because you cant use bandages, in my experiance the bandages still healed me in that state. Maybe not always but prety often. The movement to avoid dmg is bigger problem with that.

all is vain

how you kill engi

in Engineer

Posted by: Windwalker.7421

Windwalker.7421

Yeah I’ve seen some very high survivability Engineers a time or two, and on top of what redslion said I would add Supply Crate that could also have added further healing that especially on a Protected bunker-nuild target would often be enough to keep up with the incoming damage for a few seconds.

So he probably dumped his load to stay alive (also don’t forget the healing/TK reset traits that give most Engineer builds 2x big heals) and once those ran out he then went down pretty fast. (Protection down, all heals down, Super Elixir down, Elite down, etc. then even a bunker build melts to 3 attackers.)

A lag spike also sounds plausible though…

how you kill engi

in Engineer

redslion.9675

Well, it depends on the attackers: if they are not 3 full burst, or there is not a heavy condition dealer among them, you can even manage to last long enough to heal yourself again.

But engi bunkers are always in a narrow spot: the line between life and death can be very thin. More than once I died 0.1 seconds before I could pop my next heal.

Even when you are totally stomped, I think it takes about 50 seconds – a minute to take you down.

About immobilize…. bandages were modified to spawn in front of you, so that you could pick them while running. I can’t get them if I get immobilized. Odd. And yeah: knock back

how you kill engi

in Engineer

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

Toolkit has a gear schield blocking damage. You can equip toolkit use the gear shield and switch back to your weapon and start shooting while still blocking.
Blocking for 3 sec. Maybe it was something like that.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gear_Shield

I think most of this thread covers the mystery of bunker Engineers but I just wanted to clear this up. Static Shield is what continues blocking while you use other skills. Gear Shield must be channeled.

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

how you kill engi

in Engineer

Posted by: Deniara Devious.3948

Deniara Devious.3948

Huh?

I am mostly a WvWvW player. I play there mainly an engineer, a balanced semi-glass grenadier, not HGH, but I can get up to 10 stacks of might without any elixirs.

Engineer has been so far the easiest profession to kill, 1-vs-1 against engineers are generally easy. Engineer has the weakest down state. Once you get enemy engineer down 1st, you have won the fight. Blocking lasts 3 seconds and you can heal yourself during that time. Automated response (trait) is rare (most choose HGH instead). I have over 3k in attacking power and direct damage still affects those who are under automated response (no damage from new conditions when health <25%). If engineer has cloaking device trait, then one just uses AoE against the engineer.

I don’t consider myself as some super player, in fact I have lost a fair fight against Pannonica (from RG) in WvWvW. In fact HGH is problematic build to fight against, as I am using medkit + elixir gun, so I have just 2 condition removal skills, with 15 and 20 s cooldown and medkit’s condition removal doesn’t work if you are immobilized. The problem is not killing the HGH engineer, but either of us will die in just few seconds (the fight is over soon). My only chance against HGH engineer is to spike down very fast. I won’t survive a long match against HGH for sure, but then on the other hand HGH engis usually only carry Elixir S as their defensive utility skill.

Many engineers drop their supply crate over you. It has happened in 80% of 1-vs-1 fights. It is easy to dodge away from it and few grenades destroy the turrets. That’s it!

If the enemy is running a full bunker engineer (rare), then you just need to wait for a time window and spike her down fast. Get in close range and spam in everything you got.

I find good bunker D/D elementalist’s much more annoying: perma boons + amazing healing + condition removal + good damage, utility + mobility as well. Tank thieves are rare, but kitten annoying to fight against: constant stealth, tons of healing during stealth, shadowstep etc. Good rangers are so rare in WvWvW, so I cannot comment on that.

Deniara / Ayna – I want the original WvWvW maps back – Desolation [EU]

how you kill engi

in Engineer

redslion.9675

Well, when playing bunker I run Elixir S AND Self-Regulating Defense. I’m almost unspikable.XD

how you kill engi

in Engineer

Posted by: nakoda.4213

nakoda.4213

well, Deniara, this is only anecdotal, but unless there are two high spike or high condi aggressors, or unless there are more than two aggressors, I don’t die unless I eff’d up.

Also, the @OP is talking about sPvP and tPvP, where engineers are solid.

I am a condition sponge.

but I do not wear square pants.

Boundaries are for the effortless.
Benn E Violence :: 0/20/30/20/0
You kittens don’t even know what the prefix “meta” means.

how you kill engi

in Engineer

Kimbald.2697

we are getting extremely theoretical here. Unless the OP bothers to reply, I see little use in this thread anymore.

how you kill engi

in Engineer

redslion.9675

This could become a thread about engi bunker!XD

Seriously, maybe someone else is curious about what an engi bunker can do, without talking about a specific build.

how you kill engi

in Engineer

Posted by: Deniara Devious.3948

Deniara Devious.3948

well, Deniara, this is only anecdotal, but unless there are two high spike or high condi aggressors, or unless there are more than two aggressors, I don’t die unless I eff’d up.

Sorry I should have stuck to the spvp/tpvp, but that it is not my expertise.

In WvWvW the damage is much higher. With better gear and consumables, you can achieve over 100% critical damage, longer condition duration, higher attacking power etc. which aren’t possible in pvp. Also confusion does only half damage in pvp.

I can imagine that with half as effective spikes the bunkers become problematic to kill, but I can assure that is rarely the problem in WvWvW. In fact I would say it is the opposite: I have seen enemies downed in fraction of a second (I don’t run so glass cannon build), but I can imagine it is not fun to see your character die in less than a second.

What can we do? Anet designed pvp to favor bunker builds: in conquest game mode a bunker can obviously holds points better than others. If the main objective would be killing, not holding any points, almost nobody would play a bunker.

Deniara / Ayna – I want the original WvWvW maps back – Desolation [EU]

how you kill engi

in Engineer

joukuoj.2075

so i tested engi with bomb kit(heal trait) and max healing power, its was pretty tanky(well i had some problems with bomb placement, dont play engi much) but it was my and other 2 ppl mega lag(talk to some ppl in game which play engi and they have theory, where actually doesnt matter on your skill or traits)

how you kill engi

in Engineer

Posted by: Pannonica.5378

Pannonica.5378

… but now i played agaisnt engi which didnt take any dmg from 3 ppl. My rapid fire hit him (2500crit dmg) and his hp didnt change(no evade, no elixir s) […] but later his hp drop from no reason and he went down(actually we didnt know how).[…]

Pretty much sounds like he desynced.

Pannonica
Red Guard