hows engineer

hows engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: johnIV.3849

johnIV.3849

So I have been looking for a main character to pve, wvw, and pvp with. Can you experienced engineers give me some feedback on the gameplay style/viability of the engineer class as a whole.

I will be doing mostly solo pve, maybe some dungeon running if I ever find a good guild. Also solo pvp/wvw.

Thanks for the feedback.

hows engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: The Gates Assassin.9827

The Gates Assassin.9827

PvP Fantastic. One of the best professions right now. Even if our top build gets nerfed, we’re still a very viable class.

WvW Decent. Grenades make us a kitten to fight on walls since a few well placed power grenades can stop people from staying on siege. The 1,500 range is also very nice. Turrets can be thrown up on walls to take out left alone siege to prepare for an attack. Healing turret is a great water field and one of the few in the game. Past that, other classes have more utility in zergs.

PvE Warriors are so broken that other classes seem weak in comparison. I personally don’t think that engineers are bad. Instead, I think warriors are OP. You’ll need to go full power and crit with grenades if you want to be moderately effective. More useful in harder content as our support (Healing) is actually fairly good.

Main: Raine Avina (Engineer)
Message me any time in game.

hows engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Kalan.9705

Kalan.9705

Viable build diversity shrinks every patch, currently at an all time low.

hows engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

Not bad, pretty diverse. some gadgets still lacking imo, and turrets i haven’t tried fully since a few updates, but most off their other skills are pretty viable imo.

hows engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Welswift.9813

Welswift.9813

I would have to agree. Viable builds {In WvW} Consist of a version of HGH or a version of SD, and they seem to be aiming at HGH for now atleast.

hows engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Specterryu Quipter.8412

Specterryu Quipter.8412

I would have to agree. Viable builds {In WvW} Consist of a version of HGH or a version of SD, and they seem to be aiming at HGH for now atleast.

We are the best support class atm, don’t expect to be even close to top dps without using the grenade kit.
If you’re in wvw, it’s more beneficial to be in a havoc group or defending towers than it is for you to be with the zerg. Leave it to all the big dumb warriors in the zergs, to “spin their sword for great justice”, you’re an engineer. Thus you’re better than that.

Character is higher than intellect. A great soul will be strong to live, as well as think.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

(edited by Specterryu Quipter.8412)

hows engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

If you’re in wvw, it’s more beneficial to be in a havoc group or defending towers than it is for you to be with the zerg. Leave it to all the big dumb warriors in the zergs, to “spin their sword for great justice”, you’re an engineer. Thus you’re better than that.

There’s wisdom in this. Thieves aren’t the greatest in a zerg, and no one seems to think they need to be. I do think engineers can be okay in 20v20 fights and up, but I don’t think that’s their forte.

hows engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Amadeus.5687

Amadeus.5687

If you enjoy doing solo WvW, roaming around, soloing camps, taking on people 1vs1 or 1vsMany, then you will love Engineer! Engineer’s is an amazing roaming proffesion, and we got a ton of different build, just ignore posts like Welswift made!

We can do so much more then SD and HGH builds in WvW ! Both a great builds tho, so they ain’t to be looked down on, they just ain’t the only viable ones!

We got plenty of ways to build a fun and trolling build that can soak quite some damage! We can build for quite good AoE supporting healing with the new Healing Turret and Elixir Gun! We got the best condition damage IN the game atm. where you can make, quite a few, different condition damage builds!
Also in WvW we scale amazing with Condition Duration, and you can end up making some quite fun stuff, like Immobilze lastng for 6 seconds, or bleeding that last for 24 sec (for not talking about our perma burning and perma poison if we want to)!
The easy acces to perma Swiftness give us good mobility on the map as well!

For Zerg WvW (I don’t do this much), but there we can just spam grenade or FT auto attack, run around and pick of the slow people, pull people into your zerg, or, as I prefer, make some quite strong support builds, brining a lot of combo fields and blast finishers!

All in all, quite the amazing WvW profession, even with a 50% Confusion nerf!

Also, for PvE, just make a high Crit grenade build when doing dungeons, for Vulnerbillity Stacking, run some condition duration, and you will be sitting on 15-25 stacks of it, which will make “you deal” plenty of damage! Boring, but effective =P

hows engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Victoitor.2917

Victoitor.2917

What’s SD? Anyone care to explain?

Raimundo Faztudo (Human Engineer) – Current WvW
Mr Tauser (Char Warrior) – Current PvE
[CATZ] – HoD

hows engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: hamsteak.1368

hamsteak.1368

static discharge http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Static_Discharge

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bFKYaD3lrM

Auger Claw (PvE/Spvp) – Thief
Notalkingplz (PvE/Spvp) – Guardian
Rough Trade (PvE)/Urok Ashpaw (Spvp) – Engineer

hows engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Victoitor.2917

Victoitor.2917

static discharge http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Static_Discharge

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bFKYaD3lrM

Thanks, very helpful. I had actually seen this before, I just didn’t notice SD was static discharge.

Raimundo Faztudo (Human Engineer) – Current WvW
Mr Tauser (Char Warrior) – Current PvE
[CATZ] – HoD

hows engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

Well engineer is fine, thank you for asking good sir.

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

hows engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Silent.4378

Silent.4378

Im thinking about making an engineer myself, so do you guys think condition engi would be good for wvw roaming?

hows engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

Im thinking about making an engineer myself, so do you guys think condition engi would be good for wvw roaming?

I run a roaming condition engineer with some mix of grenades, bombs, elixir gun, and a couple other utilities substituted in as needed. It’s super fun and pretty effective. If you’re looking to solo supply camps, engineer has what you need, and they are pretty good for those random 1v1s or 1v2s you might find as well. Can’t really disengage so you’ll die regularly, but as long as you don’t mind that it will be excellent fun.

hows engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

Condition is infact recommended since it requires very little setup.

Handling 1 v many however, will depend of how efficiently you can stomp the downed players, as you have very little CC to interrupt revivals, and.. pretty much one, safe, opportunity to execute a stomp.

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

hows engineer

in Engineer

Silent.4378

good to hear , going to make one now =]

hows engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: lunyboy.8672

lunyboy.8672

It is good against some professions more than others, and it deeply depends on your build. It is MUCH better with a duo, and I 2-man with guards, rangers, thieves, etc. and will try to compliment my partner. For instance, when with the thief, I try to play “bait” so I will wait ’til I see one or two in the distance, the thief will stealth, and I will harvest onions or fight a mob using pistol or something other than grenades. Then when they come up and blow their cool downs, I shield, gear shield, Elixir S and then supply crate and my partner comes in and then we annihilate them. For a ranger partner I usually switch to tool kit for a bit of melee and rifle for control, for guard partner I go rifle/grenades for max damage at range and control… etc.

There is a guy on this board that is single-handedly taking on 3 or more at a time, I think his name is SirKiroshi, and he has comments on how he deals with other professions, and usually identifies them, plans for their attacks, uses 3 kits and LOT of cc for controlling the tempo of the confrontation. He is truly excellent.

EDIT: SirKoroshi – youtube vid example here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQc9V-1lwQU

Miss Fisthammer – Engineer | Urgard Fistorsen – Guardian
Physti – Elementalist | Fistful of Blades – Thief
[WHIP] Quaggan Slavers – HoD

hows engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Amadeus.5687

Amadeus.5687

Condition damage for roaming is probaly the best choise at the given time! We got an amazing arsenal of AoE conditions that last for a loong time! With the ability to get 50-100% condition duration in WvW quite easy, we make for amazing condition damage roamers!

You can find a lot of intrestring builds and videos on youtube,!
Check out Maskaganda’s Channel for a really skilled WvW roamer here:
http://www.youtube.com/feed/UC9NnXVfY4vRU1F-X7b1Oorw

Or check out some of my roaming videos at my channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAmadeuson

^ SirKoroshi is new on the Egnineer proffesion, and he got some realy intrestring going as well, so definetly worth checking out as well!

Also while I do agree we make for an amazing Duo proffession (check Maskaganda and his Guariden buddy Techno Viking), we are still quite amazing and cabable in solo roaming, you should win most of your 1vs1 Encounters

hows engineer

in Engineer

Silent.4378

It is good against some professions more than others, and it deeply depends on your build. It is MUCH better with a duo, and I 2-man with guards, rangers, thieves, etc. and will try to compliment my partner. For instance, when with the thief, I try to play “bait” so I will wait ’til I see one or two in the distance, the thief will stealth, and I will harvest onions or fight a mob using pistol or something other than grenades. Then when they come up and blow their cool downs, I shield, gear shield, Elixir S and then supply crate and my partner comes in and then we annihilate them. For a ranger partner I usually switch to tool kit for a bit of melee and rifle for control, for guard partner I go rifle/grenades for max damage at range and control… etc.

There is a guy on this board that is single-handedly taking on 3 or more at a time, I think his name is SirKiroshi, and he has comments on how he deals with other professions, and usually identifies them, plans for their attacks, uses 3 kits and LOT of cc for controlling the tempo of the confrontation. He is truly excellent.

EDIT: SirKoroshi – youtube vid example here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQc9V-1lwQU

well thx for the great tips/info now time to go and get one to 80.

hows engineer

in Engineer

Silent.4378

Condition damage for roaming is probaly the best choise at the given time! We got an amazing arsenal of AoE conditions that last for a loong time! With the ability to get 50-100% condition duration in WvW quite easy, we make for amazing condition damage roamers!

You can find a lot of intrestring builds and videos on youtube,!
Check out Maskaganda’s Channel for a really skilled WvW roamer here:
http://www.youtube.com/feed/UC9NnXVfY4vRU1F-X7b1Oorw

Or check out some of my roaming videos at my channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAmadeuson

^ SirKoroshi is new on the Egnineer proffesion, and he got some realy intrestring going as well, so definetly worth checking out as well!

Also while I do agree we make for an amazing Duo proffession (check Maskaganda and his Guariden buddy Techno Viking), we are still quite amazing and cabable in solo roaming, you should win most of your 1vs1 Encounters

Thx for the links , ill take a look at these for sure.