kinetic battery is trash now

in Engineer

Posted by: schloumou.3982

schloumou.3982

This trait was key to some playstyles. You were able to bait skills to dodge and then decide at the last moment which TB-skill would fit the situation. Double burst and double stealth were strong but balanced via high ICD. The fact that devs stated their intention was to make the trait better because we had poor options in the tools line makes me sad cause it shows again that a testing audience just cant be replaced by a dev doing some paperwork. I just dont get it. Nobody complained about that trait. I main engi for 4 years now and im getting more and more frustrated with the uninspired changes that are made giving us less and less options in weapon and playstyle choices.

in Engineer

Posted by: Famine.7915

Famine.7915

With KB now I just prep 4 stacks and open with GB after a pull and you can just go completely insane after that first hit. It’s rather overwhelming.

Vee/Volk
Maguuma – Predatory Instinct [HUNT]
Necromancer

in Engineer

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

This trait was key to some playstyles. You were able to bait skills to dodge and then decide at the last moment which TB-skill would fit the situation. Double burst and double stealth were strong but balanced via high ICD. The fact that devs stated their intention was to make the trait better because we had poor options in the tools line makes me sad cause it shows again that a testing audience just cant be replaced by a dev doing some paperwork. I just dont get it. Nobody complained about that trait. I main engi for 4 years now and im getting more and more frustrated with the uninspired changes that are made giving us less and less options in weapon and playstyle choices.

Exactly, we could have gotten a trait like this in place of takedown round but they instead decide to replace something that is useful. Makes no sense to me.

The trait in itself is good but, it shouldn’t have replaced the original kinetic battery.

I just want to ask the devs who uses Takedown round and if those people outnumber the ones who use Kinetic battery.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

kinetic battery was unreliable at best and confusing af at worst. now it’s reliable. that’s not a bad change.

that said, maybe its too weak to warrant use. or something. maybe they should reduce the stack count trigger to 3 or 4. the only really low cd toolbelt skill is rifle turret, so it’s hard to achieve more than like 20% quickness uptime. applied force gives a straight 40% easily.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Engineer

Posted by: coro.3176

coro.3176

But those stack because you can take both, so you don’t want someone running around with >60% quickness uptime. That’s a bit OP. Then factor in boon duration + elixir U .. It’s already pretty strong.

in Engineer

insanemaniac.2456

x tools scrapper is a great dps build…
firearms for ft camping? explosives for kits and miss out on firearms’s flat damage boosts?

in Engineer

Posted by: Kaizoku.1298

Kaizoku.1298

Kinetic Battery is kittening awesome now.

in Engineer

Posted by: schloumou.3982

schloumou.3982

" I just prep 4 stacks"
“kinetic battery was unreliable at best and confusing af at worst”

Why do I even bother?The Engis left deserve this. Have fun spaming low cd TB-skills, flying around like idiots with your new rocket-boots (spoiler: still crap) and using your new failsafe trashturrents. I would make a petition if I were you to give kits cd on swap because its very confusing if you can access all the skills all the same time. Oh wait our next Elite will do that. So long friends maybe we meet in other games.

in Engineer

Posted by: Are.1326

Are.1326

I feel like this is a good grandmaster for pure SD builds. Might help it get back some of its old power.

in Engineer

insanemaniac.2456

" I just prep 4 stacks"
“kinetic battery was unreliable at best and confusing af at worst”

Why do I even bother?The Engis left deserve this. Have fun spaming low cd TB-skills, flying around like idiots with your new rocket-boots (spoiler: still crap) and using your new failsafe trashturrents. I would make a petition if I were you to give kits cd on swap because its very confusing if you can access all the skills all the same time. Oh wait our next Elite will do that. So long friends maybe we meet in other games.

hi

lets talk about a pvp scenario:
red necro standing on home. blue engi inc. red thief +1s.
engi dodges into the necro mark. thief bursts and gets engi to 25% almost immediately. engi disappears and reappears mid at full hp.

how many people in bronze and silver do you think will understand and be able to process what just happened?

on the other hand, lets say the engi is bad at dodging and doesnt happen to actually evade an attack. then the trait was useless. its a grandmaster. it should never just be useless. grandmasters are build defining. they should be things that cant happen to have no effect ever, because they are build defining. this new iteration cant have no effect ever, because you cant have all 5 toolbelt skills interrupted ad infinitum. it will fire at some point.

thats why this is a good change.

so why do you even bother? sorry you cant luck into a double stealth any more, sucks to be you.

in Engineer

Posted by: Nilix.2170

Nilix.2170

But those stack because you can take both, so you don’t want someone running around with >60% quickness uptime. That’s a bit OP. Then factor in boon duration + elixir U .. It’s already pretty strong.

Literally what I’ve been doing. Before the patch, I was already trying some jank that could give me good quickness length and was enjoying Elixir/Scrapper for Elixir U, Applied Force, and Boon duration. I was hurt to see that we lost 4% Boon Dur in Elixirs but then they gave me 5s more of Quickness anyway. Can chain together about 20 seconds of Quickness with it.

As far as the old Kinetic Battery is concerned, I was probably the most excited about it since HoT traits were announced, but it had 2x the ICD, and that 7s window you have to actually utilize the TB ruins timing. The best use for it was definitely 2x Incendiary Powder since the ICD aligned well with it. Outside of that, in never really held up to the value of being a GM.

Mortar Shot is STILL nerfed by 28%
Purity of Purpose

in Engineer

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

Literally what I’ve been doing. Before the patch, I was already trying some jank that could give me good quickness length and was enjoying Elixir/Scrapper for Elixir U, Applied Force, and Boon duration. I was hurt to see that we lost 4% Boon Dur in Elixirs but then they gave me 5s more of Quickness anyway. Can chain together about 20 seconds of Quickness with it.

As far as the old Kinetic Battery is concerned, I was probably the most excited about it since HoT traits were announced, but it had 2x the ICD, and that 7s window you have to actually utilize the TB ruins timing. The best use for it was definitely 2x Incendiary Powder since the ICD aligned well with it. Outside of that, in never really held up to the value of being a GM.

But you all use Takedown Round right?

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

in Engineer

Posted by: lorddarkflare.9186

lorddarkflare.9186

Disagree. I liked the old Kinetic Battery, so I definitely see the argument to bring it back as a master, but this new trait is better and a lot less niche.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

I use takedown round on 3 of my 4 engis.
KB on one. I had to switch which one had KB, but that’s besides the point.

Fishsticks

in Engineer

Posted by: ukuni.8745

ukuni.8745

it was a change for holosmith dudes, most of the holosmith toolbelt skills are instant cast meaning that you can get the stacks real easy when you need to, add in the fact that holosmith gonna crit with no precision investment means you can take all the boon duration you want and use radiant arc skill on top of that and youll have quickness for days on end and assuming that entering and exiting photon forge count as a toolbelt skill then yea further makes it strong on holosmith.

Still Winning And Grinning (Swag)
Ukune – Engineer of Maguuma
Check me out on YouTube

in Engineer

Posted by: Nova Pint Kiosk.7085

Nova Pint Kiosk.7085

I haven’t used KB since everyone was running around as a reaper in PvP. Back then dodging when they shroud to free moa them out of reaper shroud was great. Still, it was an interesting idea for strong toolbelt skills, I loved it and it definitely changed your gameplay.

Also, did you really say dodging is hard and they are “lucky” if they managed to evade an attack? What? Do you know how many AoE skills and obvious tells and kitten you can evade easily in PvP?

in Engineer

insanemaniac.2456

Also, did you really say dodging is hard and they are “lucky” if they managed to evade an attack? What? Do you know how many AoE skills and obvious tells and kitten you can evade easily in PvP?

no, i dont think i said that:

on the other hand, lets say the engi is bad at dodging and doesnt happen to actually evade an attack. then the trait was useless. its a grandmaster. it should never just be useless. grandmasters are build defining. they should be things that cant happen to have no effect ever, because they are build defining. this new iteration cant have no effect ever, because you cant have all 5 toolbelt skills interrupted ad infinitum. it will fire at some point.

i said a grandmaster should never be useless, because it is supposed to be build defining. please read carefully.