<3 me some hate mail - Turrets

in Engineer

Posted by: alofear.9637

alofear.9637

So I’ve been running the basic 2/0/6/6/0 build full turrets/knock-back Engi for a few weeks.

At first I avoided the force field trait and thought it wasn’t the best trait for sPvP.

but when you see posts like this
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Turrets-decap-engi/first

you know you’re doing something right

I’m not a decapper or a DPS zerker, I’m the guy who makes the other team rage quit

Anyone else enjoying this build?

(edited by alofear.9637)

in Engineer

Posted by: lunyboy.8672

lunyboy.8672

I can’t really get used to it, to be honest. I use that trait in a decap build, but only run heal, supply crate and sometimes thumper.

I am currently considering switching it out, since I can’t see the benefit without full turrets, and I can’t see that build at all in a decap mode.

Maybe I just need to see some video of it being played to understand the style.

Miss Fisthammer – Engineer | Urgard Fistorsen – Guardian
Physti – Elementalist | Fistful of Blades – Thief
[WHIP] Quaggan Slavers – HoD

in Engineer

Posted by: dunneryb.4907

dunneryb.4907

I really like the 2/0/6/6/0 build – my favorite variant in sPvP is one with Healing Turret, Elixir Gun, Bomb Kit, and Thumper Turret. Make sure to grab increased bomb radius in Explosives, 33% damage reduction on turrets, 5% health return on turrets, and healing bombs in the Inventions line, and finally protection on disable, backpack regenerator, and Experimental Turrets in the Alchemy line.

The sustain on this build is OUT OF THIS WORLD. The combination of healing bombs, backpack regen, ACTUAL regen from HT, 50% Super Elixir uptime, and the unbelievable protection uptime from Thumper Turret and protection on disable, turn you into a ridiculous tank with STUPID amounts of sustain. The only classes that will give you significant trouble are power well Necromancers, and berserker staff Elementalists, but usually you can call out to a friend who can easily burst them down.

Definitely some of the most fun I’ve had in sPvP, and people LOVE the sustain it also grants to other teammates on the point.

in Engineer

alofear.9637

Do Healing Bombs heal you? I’ve never really messed with that trait.

in Engineer

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

Do Healing Bombs heal you? I’ve never really messed with that trait.

They do. Along with allies.

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

They do. It’s not a ton, but it’s something.

in Engineer

Posted by: Drafigo.4690

Drafigo.4690

I enjoy this build. Engi has always been my fav class but I hated that turrets where useless. I love this build and have so much fun playing it.

in Engineer

Posted by: Lupanic.6502

Lupanic.6502

hehe is really funny. Tested grenades + turrets yesterday and it was fun.

in Engineer

Posted by: miriforst.1290

miriforst.1290

I originally intended this for education purposes for non engineers how the turrets viability and mechanics have changed. Hence the over explanatory wording. I especially try to highlight the room for skill and decision making for people who think “It got AI which makes the player a bad auto attack to win spammer” infused in every possible build bringing a turret.

“I tried constructing a node fighter build with flameturret and thumper along with toolkit and HT going 2 0 6 6 0 and had a lot of fun with it. But i did not play it like i see new engineers and the type of engineers getting a lot of hate now do (setting up a triangle of net, rifle and rocket turret and then killing people wading into the point with not a single thought in the world of dodging or blocking the overcharge, ranging the engineer with condipressure in the turrets dead spots or nuking his turrets from orbit first and then killing the engineer). I agree that kind of play is not that exciting. Instead my turrets are on pointers with short range and they work as a resource in every way as much as a clone does for the mesmer and i do not use them until the effect is required, depending on which role i need them to fill.

For example using my healing turret and picking it up at once resulting in the highest possible condiclear and hps or blasting it up for a longer recharge to allow me to buy a breathing room from a melee character beating me up and thus possibly negating enough damage to compensate the hps and condiclear/s loss along with making it a bigger burst heal or gasp leaving it out for a few seconds to use the shield to negate enough damage and gaining a bit of dps back, this also lowering my hps and condiclear but negating damage proactively, sometimes i judge it worth it to activate it before needing the healing effect itself just for this reason. All these possibilities with a single healing skill. Note that doing one of these things is at the cost of the other.

And this works in the same way for flame and thumper turret. Will i use the flameturret mainly as a reflect and thus not keeping it out at all but maximizing the reflect uptime? Will i stop it from DPSing to create a smokefield allowing me to blast it for stealth for stomping or pure survival. I can sacrifice a number of turrets for that blast depending on how much stealth i need. I can keep it out for a steady low stack of might or use the firefield on napalm (which itself is a “skillshot”) and sacrifice turrets and blast for a mightspike.

For the thumper turret i can keep it out halfway into the battle to cripple my enemy and buy a bit of breathing space with the overcharge, ideally i will try to combine this with a smoke vent from flame turret to stealth me and disorientate my opponent. Then i get periodical protection as long as it is up. And my stunbreak means not having the thumper up or destroying it, is it worth destroying the tumper for the stunbreak?

I will also have to keep an eye out for their health, will they last long enough to get that welcome launch up again or will i pick it up to ensure a shorter cooldown than if it had been destroyed. They have done a good job of making the turrets more active as a resource and force some decision making to get the most out of them. Instead of switching to a kit and using all skills independent of eachother i decide what function i need right now and try pulling that of, again at the cost of other possible uses."

Sidenote i actually tried this in wvw a bit and got a tie with a PU hybrid roamer mesmer, when she got low she stealthed so i followed her example. And so it went on for a loooong while until we simply jumped and /waved. Fun times.

Oh and for some reason i eat warriors for breakfast, that reflected pindown and burn field or impale cant be good for their health.

(edited by miriforst.1290)

in Engineer

Posted by: Lupanic.6502

Lupanic.6502

The best thing on the stun breaker on the thumper turret is that it has a cast time 0_o

in Engineer

Posted by: Oniyui.8279

Oniyui.8279

The best thing on the stun breaker on the thumper turret is that it has a cast time 0_o

Lol. Well, it’s not the only stun break like that. Similarly, a warrior’s Stomp and a necromancer’s Well of Power both have a cast time and provide just enough stability to get through the cast.

in Engineer

Posted by: Jason.9643

Jason.9643

the thumper stun breaker. did you notice that it has enough stability.. just to be immune from your own rifle #4 overcharge shot’s knockback?

also, turret build is really strong. i havent lost a single 1v1. i think we will get a nerf. which will be sad.

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

the thumper stun breaker. did you notice that it has enough stability.. just to be immune from your own rifle #4 overcharge shot’s knockback?

also, turret build is really strong. i havent lost a single 1v1. i think we will get a nerf. which will be sad.

If they nerf Turrets because of how they perform in one-on-one situations, they’re stupid – it’s an MMO with all of, what, one duel mode?

in Engineer

Posted by: Jason.9643

Jason.9643

If they nerf Turrets because of how they perform in one-on-one situations, they’re stupid – it’s an MMO with all of, what, one duel mode?

i sure hope they think that way!

in Engineer

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

I foresee an incoming nerf to turret engi builds, I don’t thing it needed atm but the spec is very easy to play and so strong in soloq. The amount of grief its causing is very entertaining.

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir

in Engineer

Posted by: Alkaholic.3875

Alkaholic.3875

…their tears, they sustain me. Especially the MM Necro that was kittening about AI builds.

in Engineer

Posted by: Handin.4032

Handin.4032

When I run my turret bunker, I run a 0/2/6/6/0 or a 0/0/6/6/2 build depending on the map. I do NOT take the bubble. Why? Well, you just get so much limited time out of it if you’re actually working to keep your turrets around. Instead, I get my turrets to have much better damage. I use the deployable turrets so I can easily deploy my range turrets without leaving a point, or so I can toss them in places melee cant get to. The rage you get when you’re fighting a warrior and you see them jumping up and down trying to hit a turret you placed on a pillar. I don’t use the turrets explode on detonation, mostly because it also is basically only used during supply crates (but not as much if you trait for better turrets) and with healing turrets.
I do run the boons for the turrets. When I bunker, I’m currently running healing/thumper/flame/rocket turrets. The combination of these boons makes you a bit more tanky (healing/thumper) and also more offensive (flame/rocket).

The bubble is trolly, but in the end only really good for a first push, or if you’re an offensive turret engi. But if you run bunker, the bubble is mostly useless for most of the time.

With that build I basically never lose a 1v1, and I’ve even sustained against some 3v1’s. I love when a lich necro comes to my point, pops his lich form and I just keep LOS’ing him while my turrets kill him xD People seem to always go straight for the engi and not touch the turrets….

TC Golden Dolyak – [DOLY]
Mesmer – FURY
Rank 55 – Bunker Engi, Top 300

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Wait someone in the other thread actually thought turrets were too strong? Did I miss something?

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Engineer

alofear.9637

Wait someone in the other thread actually thought turrets were too strong? Did I miss something?

Well, there are two builds that they are talking about.. I guess people don’t like our knockback-neer and some people are getting killed by turrents.

I think it is the same about the views of Necro MM, people think that the AI is to hard and is easy mode.

When it really is the people who are lazy and avoid taking down turrents