pve/ dungeon build post dec. 10 patch

in Engineer

Posted by: Ghost warden.4026

Ghost warden.4026

looking for something to run both dungeons and general pve with, have played around with many different build, but was hoping that maybe you guys could give some ideas for other build to try. leaning mainly toward a power build…. not realy sure what is best though. thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Currently running full zerker gear and trinkets, with 4 runes of the travler and 2 runes of lyssa, with a givers pistol of strength/ a zerkers shield of accuracy.

trait setup as 30 20 0 10 10
explosives: 2, 8, 9
firearms: 3, 5
alchemy: 1
Tools: 6 ( for running in open world), also 4
Healing turret, bomb kit, gernade kit, elixer gun ( situational) and supply crate

(edited by Ghost warden.4026)

in Engineer

Posted by: Stillshade.7634

Stillshade.7634

There are so many builds you could use effectively in dungeons and pve so imma post my silly kinda tanky cc ft build.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcMQFAUlIqaZn1SZF1LJyoCdGIF51dJSh+ZZfUQXPIA-jUyAYfASEQyrIasVuwW6CSFMaq6Irrx0wCpA-w

You can play around with the armor sets and run it with more zerkers or more knights or soldiers depending on what you want.
You can also swap throw mine for bomb kit.
This build focuses around blasting fire and water fields with its impressive 6 blast finishers.

Edit: I run this in fractals with soldiers armor and it has enough survivability and damage to keep me happy and enough might stacking and water blasting to keep the group happy.

Maguuma Engi Evvenna
Things that go BOOM

(edited by Stillshade.7634)

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

For PvE open world discharge builds are pretty good, they make you a solo beast, however in dungeons bombs n’ grenades and the elixier gun are almost a must have. You are able to grant 9-12 stacks permamight aswell 25 stack vulnerability. Best bomb 1 crit I’ve ever had was about 8k <3 and its so spamable aswell hits 5 targets <3 <3

And don’t be aware to change skills and adapt to the enemy. Sometimes you will be unable to use a kit anyway, don’t waste the slot and replace it with something useful.

Just DON’T go for a flamethrower, double pistol or turret build in PvE …

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Engineer

Stillshade.7634

I strongly resent that good sir.

Doctor Beetus runs a turret sd build.

Maguuma Engi Evvenna
Things that go BOOM

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

I strongly resent that good sir. Doctor Beetus runs a turret sd build.

in PvE …

:3

“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!

in Engineer

Stillshade.7634

My point is I don’t like anyone to discredit any build for any reason. Yes it is possible to make a bad build but good builds come out of people experimenting.
And in other news detonating turrets was fixed to no longer trigger sd XD
Also sorry I’m being a little silly, I’m a little bit drunk and tired, and I understand why you would say no turrets, but why no double pistol?

Maguuma Engi Evvenna
Things that go BOOM

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

He asks for a good build, I told him one. I tested myself tons of engi builds, aswell SD and FT, but they just deal semigood dmg compared to B,G,E. If I got a engineer in my group that attacks with pistol basics and builds up some turrets in fotm 30+ I’ll ask him to change his minds cuz he’s rather useless for the whole team compared to how strong he could be

in Engineer

Stillshade.7634

True, but there is a time and a place for everything like control builds with a little more survivability. I understand it can’t do as much damage as nades or bombs but it still has its place right?

Maguuma Engi Evvenna
Things that go BOOM

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

Time and place, yes. Most of the time in almost any place bombs, grenades and the elixier gun grant the best damage, utility and survivablity. Ofc you’ll take the heal turret and Pistol + Shield mainly. Mainly means in general but not all the time. For example CoF p2 at the bombs I use the healkit for more speed and condi remove. Or at uncategorized fractale you’ll switch the elixier gun and bomb kit maybe with reflection and stability elixiers.

Grenades and Bombs grant the highest damage and tons of cc and conditions. You will be able to cause blind very often wich prevends damage, you’re gonna keep vulnerability at 25 stacks no matter what, you will have the ability to keep up 9-12 stacks might for the whole team.

There are allways exceptions but you will never be useless with a build focusing on those kits. However sd builds may feel strong for themselves aswell flamethrower, but the reality is that they are dealing like 0 passive damage and aren’t preventing much damage nor granting much cc.

Why no Pistol? Building for Pistols is a bad idea cuz 1 deals minor damage wich is not worth increasing it. 2 is a good filler aswell 3 for some single target burst n cc and condition spam. But pistol 4 isn’t worth casting since a single bomb outdamages it, and 5 is rather useful due the fact bomb 5 is the same with double area. A shield grants you another combo finisher for more heal / migh and 3 defiant remover + block and reflection for hard times. Image dredge fractale for example for interrupting endboss. Or harpy again. Anyway I still got a 2nd pistol in my bag aswell a rifle. There are allways “those situations” :P

Be flexible, and this is what Kits are

(edited by Xyonon.3987)

in Engineer

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

30 Explosives + 30 Firearms is what you should aim for in a PvE build these days. This gives you access to fully buff out either the bomb kit or grenade kit while also taking Modified Ammo for extra damage.

Final 10 points can go in either Alchemy or Tools, depending on how secure you are with your ability to survive.

If you want to run the FT/EG combo, do 20/30/0/20/0, taking Incendiary Powder, Mod Ammo, Jugg, and Deadly Mixture. Rest can be whatever you want.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

(edited by Phineas Poe.3018)

in Engineer

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

This is what I run while PUGing dungeons. Third utility slot gets switched around based on the situation and group, but goggles are great for groups that don’t keep permafury up, and the toolbelt is nice for an initial vuln spike on bosses. Rocket boots for skipping, rifle turret for blast finisher and toolbelt spamming, thumper turret for blast finishers, elixir gun where extra healing/condi removal is needed, elixir u for wall, etc. Bomb kit does great damage, at much higher range than you’d expect when traited, and the might stacking and stealth capabilities are just too good to pass up. Grenade 2/4 for damage, and autoattack when you need more vulnerability stacked.

in Engineer

Posted by: Equinox.1025

Equinox.1025

I do dungeons with pugs-random 30/30/0/x/x zerker is imposible for me I run 30/10/0/20/10 or 20/20/0/20/10 or 10/30/0/20/10 or 0/30/0/20/20 and sacrifice some dps for survivability

in Engineer

Posted by: STIMjim.7405

STIMjim.7405

I’m currently using a Bomb/Grenade/EG set up for PVE and dungeons, but what do you guys think about this?

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcAQFAUlspSXHvShF17IBoH6Fw+V0jHD5J/pA9B

The tool belt skill for elixir R could be useful and I feel like elixir U, when used correctly, could also be very effective.

in Engineer

Ghost warden.4026

This is what I run while PUGing dungeons. Third utility slot gets switched around based on the situation and group, but goggles are great for groups that don’t keep permafury up, and the toolbelt is nice for an initial vuln spike on bosses. Rocket boots for skipping, rifle turret for blast finisher and toolbelt spamming, thumper turret for blast finishers, elixir gun where extra healing/condi removal is needed, elixir u for wall, etc. Bomb kit does great damage, at much higher range than you’d expect when traited, and the might stacking and stealth capabilities are just too good to pass up. Grenade 2/4 for damage, and autoattack when you need more vulnerability stacked.

Just curious, but why p/s? For the blast finisher/block? Or is that more of a personal preference?

in Engineer

Ghost warden.4026

I’m currently using a Bomb/Grenade/EG set up for PVE and dungeons, but what do you guys think about this?

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcAQFAUlspSXHvShF17IBoH6Fw+V0jHD5J/pA9B

The tool belt skill for elixir R could be useful and I feel like elixir U, when used correctly, could also be very effective.

Personally i like elixers. But my question is, without using cleaning forula 409, where are you getting your condi removal?

in Engineer

Posted by: Stubie.5834

Stubie.5834

Eg has a condition removal as does your elixer as does your med kit.

in Engineer

Ghost warden.4026

Eg has a condition removal as does your elixer as does your med kit.

true but if you look at that build, it is not using exlixer c, nor the elixer gun, nor the medkit…..

in Engineer

Posted by: Stubie.5834

Stubie.5834

Well he said in his post he used eg nades and bombs. I was going by his statement not the build link.

in Engineer

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

Just curious, but why p/s? For the blast finisher/block? Or is that more of a personal preference?

I find the blast finisher is just too good to pass up, not to mention the knockback for interrupting when necessary. The projectile block on 5 is more situational, but great for certain skips. That plus the on-demand blind on pistol 3 for when grenade 3 is on cd make it worth taking over rifle imo.

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

Engi has condi remover on heal turret? For the rest of the team the elixier gun. That’s more than enough. The med kit is bugged since it only removes 1 condition istead of all as it says. Kinda sux but still worth takin sometimes.

Shield is by far the best option since offhand pistol sux balls and another finisher rox. Also block and boink pull. Rifle isn’t bad but sadly takes you the adventage of 2 sigils (+5% dmg, +6 stacks might or +250 power). Not worth taking a rifle for 3 and 5 on it over a pistol + shield with much more damage overall. And mainly yes – blast finisher.

Just focus on grenades, bombs, elixier gun aswell healturret in dungeons, you will shine the most this way dealing the highest active and passive damage aswell flexibility is guaranteed.

What I can tell you is to never underestimate passive damage. The damage you deal isn’t the damage you see. And engineers are kinda hiddenop in that point. 50% of the vulnerability in a group comes from you. If the others aren’t traited for it you can still keep the 25 stacks up with bufffood (+40% condi dura dragon food (cheap!!)).

Just to image if you are the reason for even 10 stacks of vulnerability means that if everyone deals 5k DpS, you will deal 2k DpS passive damage via them. And 5k DpS is low, aswell you will be more responsible for about 15 stacks :P

Then there is also the blind passive damage. Everytime you blind a crowd of enemies they won’t hit you or your allies wich means they don’t have to heal, dodge, backup wich they had to do if you weren’t there ? no loose of damage = passive damage from you again :P

But sadly man players just see numbers, especially warriors with their 50k 100blades (wich they obviously couldn’t deal without might and vulnerability from specific sources ;D). However, the intelligent one is angry against those warriors, but the wise one just smiles at them.

(edited by Xyonon.3987)

in Engineer

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

In PUGs and any other unorganized group: 30/30/0/10/0 as others have suggested. Can also run in organized groups with: 30/10/0/0/30 and rock it with bomb kit & rifles. Screenshot below is my usual damage vs the cafeteria golem in COE on bomb kit with my organized group I run with. Note that my Engineer is running all exotic berserker equipment with scholar runes, superior sigil of force on rifle, and during the time of this boss fight I had 0 bloodlust stacks, no potions/oils, and 80 power/60 precision food.

I also agree with pistol/shield combo. Running rifle is a nice choice for burst damage though. Will try to remember to screenshot the next bursts I get with it. Off the top of my head I’ve hit up to 14k with rifle 3 and with rifle 5 11k on the launch and 21k on the landing. Average RNG I usually see is 10-12k on rifle 3 and 8-10k on rifle 5 launch and 16-19k on the landing.

8k bombs FTW!

Attachments:

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

in Engineer

Posted by: Linc.6834

Linc.6834

I can attest to the damage bombs put out in a 30/30 build, I regularly PUG fractals 30+ and various dungeons. I’ll just tell everyone they don’t even need to do damage, just drag the mobs to me. Some bosses can be problematic, but I usually camp grenade kit until I see an opportunity to dive in and lay on the hurt with a Jump Shot > Blunderbuss> B.o.B. I do go down a lot, but can usually get a rally.

I would argue that this engi build does more DPS than a full zerk warrior, while bringing great group support from heal turret and bomb combo fields.

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

Is that really your screenshot? :P I’ve seen it already before somewhere …

The reason for 30/30 imo is that the first 30 are a must have for grenades and the 2nd 30 have 2 must have traits called “perma 25 stacks vulnerability” and “perma vigor” with some other 10 points spent. I really would never ever miss either vigor or vulnerability. Maybe if I trait for swiftness on kit switch, so you still can have both with only 10 points but well…

in Engineer

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Is that really your screenshot? :P I’ve seen it already before somewhere …

Haha! Yeah, that’s my own screenshot. Mind you that after the cafeteria golem was killed and I swapped out rifles to one with bloodlust to stack some up in the ‘defend laser cannon’ room. Once I opened my bag I realized I was a dope and finally popped an undead potion for Subject Alpha later. (Original screenshot attached)

Forgot to also chime in and agree even further with 30/30 as it does more damage than 30/10/0/0/30 (at least I think it does) since it crits more often. Running both are slightly different flavors but when I have others giving me more crit chance I like to run that 30 in tools for big numbers. Otherwise, 30/30/0/0/10 would be a preference if vigor wasn’t an issue, 30/30/0/10/0 for everything else.

EDIT: Went this time with 30/30 setup. Better consistency on DPS and even hit a 9k on Bomb 1 in the midst of some 8ks lol Jump shot suffered a bit of DPS tho without the 30 crit dmg from tools but no big loss.

Attachments:

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

(edited by Wondrouswall.7169)