Double barrel rifle

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

that there’s a double barrel rifle(shotgun alert) skin from the new event? oh and the time it’ll take to get it is astronomical.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Posted by: Zenguy.6421

Zenguy.6421

Really, I’d given up bothering about weapon skins as I spend so little time using them.

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Lightsbane.9012

Really, I’d given up bothering about weapon skins as I spend so little time using them.

haha, i don’t. i use my rifle more than anything else.

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Posted by: waka.9826

waka.9826

You must be using a really bad build. (Honest opinion)

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Posted by: Amadeus.5687

Amadeus.5687

Waka that was both rude ans uncalled for! Eveb if you think thats true, then keep it to yourself, he didn’t ask for our opinion about his build! :-)

To the op, do you have a picture of the weapon skin, at my Phone amt, so can’t log in and would like to see the skin! Been looking for a good shotgun skin! ! :-D

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Lightsbane.9012

(honest opinion back) i kill almost everything i run across in WvW. i have a grenade kit equipped if it will make you any less smug.

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Lightsbane.9012

Waka that was both rude ans uncalled for! Eveb if you think thats true, then keep it to yourself, he didn’t ask for our opinion about his build! :-)

To the op, do you have a picture of the weapon skin, at my Phone amt, so can’t log in and would like to see the skin! Been looking for a good shotgun skin! ! :-D

can’t right now, but will asap.

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Posted by: Jigain.8231

Jigain.8231

http://gw2.mmorpg-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/GW2_Sclerite_Rifle_2-1024x640.jpg

It isn’t a shotgun, it’s a double barreled rifle. Like a hunting rifle. Double rifles are pretty common in sports and hunting, mates.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_rifle

This post may contain a high concentration of sarcasm and irony.
If you are allergic to these ingredients, do not consume.

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Posted by: JubeiTM.5763

JubeiTM.5763

Byte your tongue http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgEyg769cDc

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Lightsbane.9012

http://gw2.mmorpg-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/GW2_Sclerite_Rifle_2-1024x640.jpg

It isn’t a shotgun, it’s a double barreled rifle. Like a hunting rifle. Double rifles are pretty common in sports and hunting, mates.

i think you give arenanet a little too much credit. because if they put that in their knowingly, they’re trolling rangers AND engineers.

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Posted by: XelNigma.6315

XelNigma.6315

visually there is little difference in the barrel of a shotgun and rifle (well other than size and stuff). And seeing as this new skin only as the barrel of the weapon (mechanism being organic stuff with a blinking eye) it could be seen as a shotgun or rifle. hell maybe one barrel for each This is GW after all, kitten be cray.

While side by side is the “classic” look for rifles and shotguns, modern double barrels are usually over under because its more accurate for obvious reasons. I would like to see more of that.

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Posted by: icewyrm.5038

icewyrm.5038

I don’t really like the skin much. Even if it had a giant neon tag hanging off it which said “shotgun!” I don’t see myself using it.

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Posted by: ikiturso.4026

ikiturso.4026

SD build uses rifle more than anything and if u dont u using very bad SD build. (honest opinion)

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Jigain.8231

i think you give arenanet a little too much credit. because if they put that in their knowingly, they’re trolling rangers AND engineers.

Unless you’re saying ArenaNet was the first brand of double-barreled rifles (which they were not; it’s commonly accepted that Holland & Holland made the first working double-barrels), I’m not giving ArenaNet any credit at all.

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

I don’t see how anybody can say with any certainty that they are definatly shotgun or rifle.

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Dustfinger.9510

visually there is little difference in the barrel of a shotgun and rifle (well other than size and stuff). And seeing as this new skin only as the barrel of the weapon (mechanism being organic stuff with a blinking eye) it could be seen as a shotgun or rifle. hell maybe one barrel for each This is GW after all, kitten be cray.

While side by side is the “classic” look for rifles and shotguns, modern double barrels are usually over under because its more accurate for obvious reasons. I would like to see more of that.

ABRAKAPOCUS!

comprises at least two barrels, with at least one rifle barrel and one shotgun barrel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combination_gun

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Jigain.8231

I don’t see how anybody can say with any certainty that they are definatly shotgun or rifle.

Hint’s in the name. Sclerite Rifle Skin. Keyword: rifle.

If it was intended as a shotgun, it’d have one of the associated names: scattergun, shotgun, pepper gun, fowling piece. Additionally, while not unheard of, shotguns are not commonly that long, while rifles typically are. It also has a larger stock than a typical shotgun, meaning it’s intended to be fired from further away from the body. If it was a shotgun, that would cause undue stress and inaccuracy while firing, due to kickback and the distance from the shoulder.

I’m a bit of a gun nut.

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Dustfinger.9510

It’s well known that A-Net uses the term “rifle” as a catch all for any long barrel gun. e.g.: shiverpeak arquebus
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shiverpeak_Arquebus

edit: Not that I doubt your knowledge at all. I just doubt A-nets knowledge

(edited by Dustfinger.9510)

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Jigain.8231

It’s well known that A-Net uses the term “rifle” as a catch all for any long barrel gun. e.g.: shiverpeak arquebus
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shiverpeak_Arquebus

In fairness, that’s a weapon type, not a name. It could be argued that a real-life shotgun could be classified as a rifle-type weapon (definitively firearm, but more rifle-like than handgun-like). Sclerite Rifle is a name, however, and it would be silly to call a scattergun a rifle by name.

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Dustfinger.9510

Ah, I do get what you’re saying. That a-net specifically names it a rifle. Though, I still doubt A-net distinguishes between rifled bores and smooth bores. I think it’s more likely they call any long barrel gun a rifle.

edit: Norn “rifle” http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Norn_Rifle

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Jigain.8231

Ah, I do get what you’re saying. That a-net specifically names it a rifle. Though, I still doubt A-net distinguishes between rifled bores and smooth bores. I think it’s more likely they call any long barrel gun a rifle.

Well, that clashes with your previous example though. :P

If ANet takes care to name an arquebus an arquebus, why would a rifle not be a rifle?

There’s also the length of the barrel and stock size to take into consideration, as mentioned before.

All in all, the way I see it, there’s every reason to assume it is a rifle (even before knowing if there’s a different sound effect or graphical representation when firing it), and little to no reason to assume it to be a shotgun. Although I will admit it is possible for it to be a combination gun, as suggested – though the problem with inaccurate scattergun firing as well as stress on the shoulder would still persist due to the large stock.

Le edit:

I’m assuming you’re referring to the muzzle? It’s a cartoonish exaggeration of a rifle muzzle, actually. In order to protect the rifling from damage, the muzzle is sometimes “crowned” as it’s called. The design present on that rifle is not a common shotgun design, but rather an exaggerated rifle design popularized by comics in the early-to-mid 1900s.

(edited by Jigain.8231)

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Dustfinger.9510

IDK. That initial example does clash but check out that Norn rifle and this twinspur rifle. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Twinspur_Rifle

Seems like A-net just chooses any long barrel gun and uses the term rifle interchangeably with blunderbuss, shotgun, boomstick, shooter and musket.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gallery_of_rifles

edit:

I’m assuming you’re referring to the muzzle? It’s a cartoonish exaggeration of a rifle muzzle, actually. In order to protect the rifling from damage, the muzzle is sometimes “crowned” as it’s called. The design present on that rifle is not a common shotgun design, but rather an exaggerated rifle design popularized by comics in the early-to-mid 1900s.

It’s a classic blunderbuss design. Smoothbore gun. Not rifled. (I know you know that but I added that for any other readers)

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Jigain.8231

The barrel lenght and stock sizes do match that of scatterguns, I’ll admit. Blunderbusses… the ol’ thunderpipes… I guess you could consider it an early prototype of a shotgun, it’s a common discussion among gun addicts. I’ll admit I rarely consider it as it was such a niche use in the before-times, and had very little effect on how firearms are used today. But I will say blunderbusses were mostly handguns, with only a few rifle-stock models. If I were to use my imagination, and discount sound and graphics, I’d say the Twinspur and Norn rifles may be some odd marriage between a rifle and a grossly exaggerated blunderbuss or rifle muzzle.

Le edit: Love the discussion, by the way. It’s rare I get to talk guns outside gun forums.

Le edit secundus: Coffee time, hate to love you and leave you, but them’s the rules. I’ll check back in in the afternoon.

(edited by Jigain.8231)

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Dustfinger.9510

I appreciate a good discussion too. I’m Marine Corps so I know a little but the gun types aren’t my specialty.

OT: The few rifle stock blunderbuss’ were fired from the hip just like the engineers because the backflare of the powder would have burned the face of anyone firing it from the shoulder.

I actually agree and proposed a similar thing in a thread about engineer hip firing. That engineers probably use an amalgamation of scattergun and single slug. I theorized that the cartriges you hear on firing are actually the cartridges of powder but not shot. Evidence for this is the old engineer charr in the Iron Legion story line coats her shot in pitch to make it stick and burn. That wouldn’t be possible in a standard self contained cartridge. So if the powder is contained in cartridges, then one powder cartridge may be capable of launching one shot while the engineer may be able to fire off multiple shots at once by burning multiple powder cartridges for their “blunderbuss” skill.

edit: kk, be safe

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Jigain.8231

I’ll be honest, I strongly dislike the charr voices. Yes, all of them, including Stevie’s work – I’m sure it’s fine, but the amount of loud noise interspersed through the speech, no doubt intended to simulate growling, makes it literally (and yes, I know how to properly use the word) painful for me to listen to it. Makes me feel nauseous.Only charr I’ve liked listening to is Mister Tibbles in the Whispers. So I’m afraid I haven’t a clue as to the charr storyline.

It is a very interesting theory you have, however, and if the facts are as you present them I agree with you 100%. Cartridge ammunition could not be coated. It also brings up an interesting thought – at what speed do GW2 rifles fire? Depending on what the charr were firing at, making the ammunition “stick and burn” would indicate the velocity of the ammunition not being sufficient to penetrate the target. If firing at lightly armored or unarmored humanoids, a relatively low speed would be sufficient to penetrate the body entirely, and would most likely do more damage than burns. Then again, if firing at a heavily armored humanoid, and assuming the ammunition wouldn’t penetrate the armor in the first place, unless the armor is by its very nature flammable there’s little point to make the target burn – at most it would make the armor too warm to wear.

Meh, I’m probably overthinking it. I have a tendency to do that.

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

I’d rather use a bad build with a cool weapon than a strong build with a boring weapon.

That’s why I’ll take flamethrower over 100b any day of the week.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

JubeiTM.5763

That’s the spirit man! We should be able to play however we want kit solo or weapon + kit. The traits and gadgets should bring the balance.

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Dustfinger.9510

Jigain: Look up “Mithridates” and “Burning Mud” used against heavily armored Roman soldiers. I have an appointment but i’ll get into more detail later

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Jigain.8231

Hmm, found over 25 people throughout history named Mithridates, and “burning mud” finds me everything from pottery to text-based multi-user dungeons. :P

Looking forward to hearing what it’s about.

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Dustfinger.9510

Sorry bout that. It was on the History Channel, Ancient Discoveries Riots and Revolutions. King Mithridates used a substance called burning mud that was flung at the Roman soldiers. As it burned, it slowly dripped down in between the armor plates burning the person underneath and setting on fire the softer bits holding the armor together. The Roman soldiers were cooked alive. I couldn’t find that one scene on youtube so you may have to watch the whole thing. When the History Channel recreated it, it warped and burned through metal sheets because it burned so long and hot.

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

waka.9826

(honest opinion back) i kill almost everything i run across in WvW. i have a grenade kit equipped if it will make you any less smug.

I was referring to pure rifle builds. The moment I read “grenade kit” I stopped reading. You proved my point by saying “grenade kit”

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

waka.9826

Oh hello there “pro” WvW player.

Let’s be honest here, I can take whatever trait and whatever weapons I want in WvW and make it work. Nice try buddy.

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Jigain.8231

Sorry bout that. It was on the History Channel, Ancient Discoveries Riots and Revolutions. King Mithridates used a substance called burning mud that was flung at the Roman soldiers. As it burned, it slowly dripped down in between the armor plates burning the person underneath and setting on fire the softer bits holding the armor together. The Roman soldiers were cooked alive. I couldn’t find that one scene on youtube so you may have to watch the whole thing. When the History Channel recreated it, it warped and burned through metal sheets because it burned so long and hot.

Sounds interesting, but as I’m by my very nature a sceptic, I tried to find a confirmation of this information – and I’m unable to find a single source that can confirm the existance of “burning mud” outside of quotes saying the History Channel showed it. I don’t trust information, particularly something like history which should be widespread information, that only has a single source. :P

If it did exist, however, it was most likely delivered in large quantities and at a speed which would not penetrate a human body (I would estimate the most advanced delivery system to be by catapult or trebuchet, but possibly as primitive as a cauldron) – so my pondering yet remains.

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

JubeiTM.5763

Let’s be honest here, I can take whatever trait and whatever weapons I want in WvW and make it work. Nice try buddy.

I’m sorry if you felt offended by a Youtube video. I just wanted to correct your statement, and point out that the rifle integrates very well in strong builds, striking outrageous amounts of damage and knocking down any opponent (3.5K – 12k damage).

And no, you can’t choose any trait and any weapon and then make them work in WvW, that would be ridiculous. You actually need to think, plan, test and rework a build in order to make it work. Cheers

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Dustfinger.9510

Sounds interesting, but as I’m by my very nature a sceptic, I tried to find a confirmation of this information – and I’m unable to find a single source that can confirm the existance of “burning mud” outside of quotes saying the History Channel showed it. I don’t trust information, particularly something like history which should be widespread information, that only has a single source. :P

If it did exist, however, it was most likely delivered in large quantities and at a speed which would not penetrate a human body (I would estimate the most advanced delivery system to be by catapult or trebuchet, but possibly as primitive as a cauldron) – so my pondering yet remains.

Understandable. But I can give a little more background on why the information isn’t widespread, so you can make a better informed descision about it. Like “greek fire”, all information about it is only from historical accounts. So they had no idea what it was made of or how it worked until recently. They discovered natural tar in the mud in the area of King Mithridates kingdom. But because pitch is so hard to set on fire, a lot of skeptics previously thought it impossible to use in such a way, effectively, despite accounts describing such remarkable results. They accounts described how they mixed in a “mortar” to the burning mud.

The most likely mortar would have been straw because of it’s cheapness and availability so when the history channel mixed sraw with the natural tar-mud, they got exactly the results described. And more devestating than any of the skeptics would have believed. The straw acted as candle wicks and the mud acted as wax that kept the straw slow burning enough until the mud caught fire. When thrown on a recreated Roman suit of armor, it was literally burning mud slowly dripping into the armor and setting the leather joints on fire too. When they tested the same process on sheets of metal. (Quarter inch if I recall correctly) It burned so slow and hot that hours later, the sheet metal was warped with a giant hole burned through it. And the historical accounts say the mud was only thrown.

How it might apply to the iron legion NPC, she confirms that it does stick and burn so igniting the pitch seems to be a problem she solved without issue. (The ancient greeks and Romans didn’t have gun powder after all) Being able to shoot it from a gun means she doesn’t need to launch it slowly because she gives no indication that anything is diffrent from her system except the coating of pitch. If it doesn’t penetrate, it still sticks and burns. Making it more effective than just regular shot that may or may not get deflected by armor. So while the burning effect may not be as effective as a handful of pitch-mud, it’s still a double threat.

edit: So worst case scenario, it never took place in history but since the History channel recreated it, we still see how effective burning pitch-mud is to heavily armored troops. Devastating.

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

waka.9826

I’m sorry if you felt offended by a Youtube video. I just wanted to correct your statement, and point out that the rifle integrates very well in strong builds, striking outrageous amounts of damage and knocking down any opponent (3.5K – 12k damage).

And no, you can’t choose any trait and any weapon and then make them work in WvW, that would be ridiculous. You actually need to think, plan, test and rework a build in order to make it work. Cheers

I’m sorry but you can literally make anything work in WvW with the over inflated stats . But if you are up for it you should go in a sPVP tournament with your rifle only build since you think rifle is such a great standalone weapon and see how you do.

Edit: Some cool extra information for you – WvW’s are kitten a pvp and we have all seen it in countless videos.

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Dustfinger.9510

Sounds like what you meant to say is that Lightsbane must be using a really bad build if (s)he only wants to pvp. But why assume that?

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Jigain.8231

<snipped for brevity>

Very interesting indeed. It certainly might have existed, but I hope you understand if I still reserve my scepticism, considering that the only source still is one program on one channel. You didn’t make that great of a case as to why it hasn’t been heard of elsewhere. :P

Of course, GW2 requires a lot of suspension of disbelief as it is, and I fear we may need to chalk some things regarding this charr’s idea up to that. For instance, a rapidly accelerated projectile (such as when firing a projective from a rifle) will fall apart if consisting of multiple segments (as seen when launching multiple projectiles from a catapult or trebuchet, or perhaps more on topic the pellets of a scattergun, and observing the spread the further the distance traveled), hence this adhesive flammable solution would have to be, pardon the French, pretty kitten adhesive to stick to the projectile until contact with the target – which in turn means it would be too adhesive to fire out of a firearm. This is also a concern upon contact, where the projectile would penetrate (enter) or even pierce (enter and exit) the target, leaving the substance without a source of oxygen inside the body with the only potential burn sites on the entry and exit holes (as we know, fire requires fuel, heat, oxygen, and a chain reaction as per the fire tetrahedron), or alternatively, miss or be deflected. Again, it would have to be very adhesive to stick to the target at the moment of friction when the projectile is deflected. But again, if we suspend our disbelief, this could be a devastating weapon.

That was certainly a tangent and a half! Now where’s the guy who thought I was giving ArenaNet credit for double rifles?

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Dustfinger.9510

Absolutley. We do have to take a lot of things at face value for it to work. That it is coated, then is fired and then also sticks to the target. While being ignited and not sticking to the inside of the barrel. But then that’s not too far fetched if we already accept that the pistol for this class also shoots glue a considerable distance that’s sticky enough to stop characters in their tracks, in the heat of combat. but like you implied earlier, it’s probably more thinking on the subject than A-net did.

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Lightsbane.9012

Unless you’re saying ArenaNet was the first brand of double-barreled rifles (which they were not; it’s commonly accepted that Holland & Holland made the first working double-barrels), I’m not giving ArenaNet any credit at all.

looks like someone made the mistake of taking someone too seriously on the internet.

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Lightsbane.9012

I’m sorry but you can literally make anything work in WvW with the over inflated stats . But if you are up for it you should go in a sPVP tournament with your rifle only build since you think rifle is such a great standalone weapon and see how you do.

Edit: Some cool extra information for you – WvW’s are kitten a pvp and we have all seen it in countless videos.

you’re a bit too smug for anyone to really care about your opinions here pal. who are you to say what i or anyone else is doing isn’t working? i mean unless it’s some genius pvdooring with pistols you really don’t have a place to correct people. let me guess, the only builds that ‘work’ for you are cookie cutters? that’d sure be ironic.

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

waka.9826

you’re a bit too smug for anyone to really care about your opinions here pal. who are you to say what i or anyone else is doing isn’t working? i mean unless it’s some genius pvdooring with pistols you really don’t have a place to correct people. let me guess, the only builds that ‘work’ for you are cookie cutters? that’d sure be ironic.

Shhhh, no more tears only dreams.

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Lightsbane.9012

Shhhh, no more tears only dreams.

you went full kitten. never go full kitten.

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Jigain.8231

looks like someone made the mistake of taking someone too seriously on the internet.

Whaaaat? Nooo… Me? Never.

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Can we get back to the burning mud? That kitten sounded awesome. And was more constructive than some of this…banter.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Dustfinger.9510

Can we get back to the burning mud? That kitten sounded awesome. And was more constructive than some of this…banter.

Ask and ye shall receive! Seems I was combining a couple different historical incidents. The burning mud was used on Romans while the pitch was use on a bronze door used by pagans.

Starting around 24:20. The effects on a replica suit of armor start around 27:20. The burning of sheet metal starts around 30:06. With the demonstration starting round 31:40.

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

JubeiTM.5763

Cool documentary! But what are we doing here? Trying to see where the burning mud would fit in the game?

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Jigain.8231

To sum it up, it is a tangent that started when I proposed that the Sclerite Rifle is a rifle and not a shotgun, to which Dustfinger theorized ammunition in the game is cartridges of powder as opposed to metal slugs or pellets. In the same context he mentioned a charr coating her shots with a substance that would stick and burn on contact. From there my curiosity was piqued, and I theorized as to how realistic such an idea was (to which I eventually concluded it wasn’t realistic, but could fall within the suspension of disbelief already required for the game), and Dustfinger provided additional information on the burning substance. Then Seras asked if there was more to learn, and Dustfinger kindly provided a video to the episode in question. Then you asked what it was about, and that’s where we are now.

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Dustfinger.9510

That ….. is the most comprehensive summary of a thread I have ever seen.

Double barrel rifle

in Engineer

Lightsbane.9012

this requires a cool story bro.