so what does everyone think of scrapper?

in Engineer

Posted by: Anthony.1579

Anthony.1579

The scrapper. I like it and hate it at the same time. I
I love the scrapper in edge of the mists and world pvp. I can use healing gyro and some good traits to boost my zerg’s or party’s effectiveness and be a useful offtank, main healer, support melee character.

So i like the scrapper’s utility for grouped content.

But when i am soloing, especially in the new areas, i don’t do enough damage and i take a lot of damage. My hammer skills are not very strong, even with HGH elixir trait and using soldier gear. But it’s fine, i am sure if i used berserker gear i would do more damage. I tend to take a lot of damage in the new areas even with toughness and vitality.

I think the healing gyro is fine. If you run with swiftness it does have a slight hard time keeping up. BUt it heals fine and explodes fine. And it doesn’t die too fast unless a player focuses it down.

I still need to unlock more things but that is my experience.

in Engineer

Posted by: WeedyZeGreedy.8635

WeedyZeGreedy.8635

My relation to scrapper is a bit ambivalent. As i’ve been maining engi for the last year i feel this is the end of the road. I play scrapper with rifle in fractals and it’s good but at this time i have completely given up using hammer. The new mobs in the new maps are moving and jumping a lot so rifle’s range is much more reliable damage than chasing mobs down all the time.
This wouldn’t be a problem if you could just switch to a decent ranged weapon for these fights but elixir gun lacks damage at range when you are a power build and i really hate grenades with all the clicking and missing. It’s a shame cause i really liked the hammer skillset, but i feel too much at a disadvantage using it. My solution is playing revenant for now. Scrapper is in a bad place and i hope some good changes will come down the road, until then i will invest more time in other classes

in Engineer

Posted by: Killyox.3950

Killyox.3950

I play scrapper with Soldier gear :P Zerker would be suicide on Scrapper. Unlike Rev he has bigger survi problems due to lower amount of evades.

I play my Scrapper in full Zerk and I don’t die that much in PvE.

I switched to Cele. Much preferred.

Sneak Gyro is decent in pve for stealth rezzing, getting past stuff and so on. But it and other gyros suffer from not being able to keep up with the player.

in Engineer

Posted by: leviathan.2148

leviathan.2148

As a pve player that has no more Evon Gnashblade flairs from the Cutthroat Politics, I’m excited to have function gyro above my shoulder. It has the same function – hovers over it and looks neat. And is useless. Yeah…

I love the hammer though, combined with the traits, I have so much survivability with my zerker, it’s just awesome.

And gyros? Who cares about gyros in pve, when you have much better non gimmicky skills at your disposal.

I am an engineer – a pianist of destruction! Now please go back to standing in my AOE.

http://wpwhendead.tumblr.com - a GW2 webcomic about a Charr and a Skritt

in Engineer

Posted by: yanoch.7051

yanoch.7051

Isnt there sweet irony that most people rate scrapper on a good secound when it comes to strongest pvp profession right now, yet you guys think you are “Above warrior atleast”.
That is some laughable kitten right there.
What makes other professions out there better then you?

This is a syndrome most OP class develop when they hit upper tier.

Heiann – NSP

in Engineer

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

Scrapper with hammer, traited with Juggernaut and Mass Momentum stacks Might nicely. Adaptive Armour is nice for solo survivability, and I like Decisive Reknown.

Stabilization Core seems to be the only useful Adept but then it interferes with how I use my A.E.D and Automated Medical Response combination because A.E.D requires timing to use effectively.

Gyros = useless. Cannot find a form or function for them in solo PVE and limited usage for group PVE.

in Engineer

Posted by: Plus.7209

Plus.7209

I played a ton of Scrapper during the first week of HoT, and I think it’s a lot of fun. The hammer skills are interesting to play with, and I think the Function Gyro is a really interesting mechanic in all game modes, despite what others may say about it being underwhelming in PvE or overpowered in PvP.

I also think that some of the gyros are better than people give it credit for; Bulwark Gyro for example is a HUGE damage reduction and comes with a massive AoE reflect on the toolbelt skill. Sneak Gyro is also great for both PvE and PvP uses.

I will say, however, that I haven’t found much use for the other gyros. Medic Gyro seems outclassed by healing turret (like every healing skill added to engineer). The other utilities are fun (especially Shredder Gyro) but there just seem to be better options.

I also wish that Gyros could follow better or just be locked to your character, but they’re a lot better than they were during BWE3.

in Engineer

Posted by: Killyox.3950

Killyox.3950

As a pve player that has no more Evon Gnashblade flairs from the Cutthroat Politics, I’m excited to have function gyro above my shoulder. It has the same function – hovers over it and looks neat. And is useless. Yeah…

I love the hammer though, combined with the traits, I have so much survivability with my zerker, it’s just awesome.

And gyros? Who cares about gyros in pve, when you have much better non gimmicky skills at your disposal.

Everyone who wants to get working skills and is tired of same old for 3 years+ now.

in Engineer

leviathan.2148

Everyone who wants to get working skills and is tired of same old for 3 years+ now.

I want them too, however gyros do not bring much and are buggy, slow and their ai is still stupid as hell :/

I am an engineer – a pianist of destruction! Now please go back to standing in my AOE.

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

I want them too, however gyros do not bring much and are buggy, slow and their ai is still stupid as hell :/

You appear to confuse your subjective opinion, with actual objective fact. You made a broad negative statement, that opposes what skilled players have previously stated, and you repost to argue against anyone who finds them useful.

Gyros have pathing issues. They need to make the active gyro effects work off the engineer similarly to how the tool belt skills from bulwark and medic gryo do. That way when the gyro pathing gets wonky we don’t lose out. But some of them do in fact bring very much to the table. They need work, absolutely. If you cannot find use for them, that is on you, that have some handy effects in half the cases.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

in Engineer

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

scrapper is dominating in pvp

in Engineer

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

I’m currently using Rifle / Flamethrower Scrapper in the jungle and find it really really good and sustainable. The trait from Scrapper further makes stability flame-flower even stronger with more self might (17 stacks of constant self might and stability).
Add that with sigil of might, I can easily self sustain 25 stacks of might by just using flame-thrower 1.

This is not the best part though. The point is Scrapper is durable enough to even fight some Champion bosses in jungle with ease. Protection on heal, lots of regen, anti-condition, anti-burst through Gyro.

It may be unpopular opinion, but I really like some of the Gyros, especially the -50% damage one. It has relatively long uptime and short CD for such a good damage mitigation tool, instant cast, can live through many hard hit attacks. The tool belt skill reflects projectiles too, which is very nice!

Currently I’m using a mix of Zerk and Celestial and having some good result in the jungle. The damage is not half bad too thanks to self-sustaining 25 stacks of might. Not to mention how useful perma stability is in the jungle.

Overall I love this specialization.

in Engineer

Posted by: Cures.7451

Cures.7451

I tried scrapper about three times before i finally made the push to finish the elite spec. The first few times i just couldn’t get into it. Figuring out the utility skills were a real pain in the tail ((because you know, its a char scrapper XD)). Finally finished the spec itself last night and i was mostly disappointed as i just couldn’t figure out the sustain on it. I spent about 3 or 4 hours yesterday, sitting in front of a champion hero point with a buddy as we tweaked builds and tried new things until i finally came across a set up i enjoyed and was able to solo Champion mobs fairly easily.

Since then i’ve done some fractals, map bosses, and more HoT content and i actually am enjoying Scrapper. Granted, the only Gyro i’m running is Bulwork and my heal/2 other utilities are Elixers, its still a fun brutish class to play. My elite skill i’m not too sold on. Mostly using Supply create for the medkits and possible healing turret drop if i don’t need a range option.

I would love to hear your build and gear.

My perspective is from PvE and WvW, but personally, I find the hammer in particular unviable, in that including it basically ruins everything. Much of this is because it has no synergy with any long range weaponry, and in the harder HoT content there are many, many times when it is very advantageous if not required, yes required not suggested to have a a 1200+ range weapon. What am I supposed to do about this? I could load a Mortar but that is more of a condition weapon and doesn’t work well with any of the Hammer builds I’ve tried.

I supposed I could just run out of combat, respec, and load in a rifle every 10 mins or so, then reload the hammer and respec back to hammer but no… no I’m not doing that. What I would really like is the ability to weapon swap to the rifle. Probably never gonna happen, but that would fix a lot of things imo.

I’m seriously asking. I love my engineer and was super excited about using the Scrapper/Hammer combination but I am really struggling. What rankles even more is that my Revenant’s hammer, a non-elite spec weapon, absolutely dominates the scrapper hammer in nearly every way.

Help.

mind to remind me where i needed 1200 range in hot? i wasnt aware and accidently played all maps with my new shiny hammer!

in Engineer

leviathan.2148

You appear to confuse your subjective opinion, with actual objective fact. You made a broad negative statement, that opposes what skilled players have previously stated, and you repost to argue against anyone who finds them useful.

Gyros have pathing issues. They need to make the active gyro effects work off the engineer similarly to how the tool belt skills from bulwark and medic gryo do. That way when the gyro pathing gets wonky we don’t lose out. But some of them do in fact bring very much to the table. They need work, absolutely. If you cannot find use for them, that is on you, that have some handy effects in half the cases.

How do I oppose what skilled players stated? What do I repost? If they bring so much to the table, please, provide a viable pve build using gyros. I would like to see that.

in Engineer

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

How do I oppose what skilled players stated? What do I repost? If they bring so much to the table, please, provide a viable pve build using gyros. I would like to see that.

What I run right now for open world exploration. It’s not even fully ascended yet.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFASncTB1ahVXBGpCEqil7iie1j9ZHcBjwAQ8g+hcA-TxBFwACuAAIV+xS9n06Aat/AgHAwVlgkCwchWA-e

And if you switch sigil of fire with strength, you can switch elixir H with Medic gyro or healing turret. Still Elixir H has a good chance for really high protection uptime, if the RNG is in your favor.

Regardless if you feel treated unfair or not by us, I personally have a blast in PvE with going full melee, since cc’s are not frequent enough to break juggernaut, dmg gets eaten up by bulwark / protection uptime / half knight gear, and incoming ranged pressure can be utilized offensively by bulwarks TB, or by simply poping sneak-gyro, waiting for c’s & reposition next to the ranged spammer, usually oppening with a thunderclap right from stealth again.
Mordrem snipers? reflect their killshot or goto stealth/reposition
Pocket raptors? thunderclap + hammer #3 + hammer #4. so much blocks & evades while pumping out dmg that even packs the size of 12 or more become free xp-piniatas.
Itzel archers? reflect their shots or goto stealth/reposition / clear condis with elixirs
mordrem husks or other high toughness / low HP mobs? Pop FT’s TB+napalm and reduce their health by a sizable chunk right away.
Want to chew trough a breakbar? Thunderclap + hammer 3 + FT #5 + FT#3 + 2xGyro daze. Haven’t met a open world mob that can deal with that combo so far.

And for events like wyvern, where melee just kills you, switch sneak out for mortar & enjoy spaming #1 for the next 15min…

So yea, your complaints are really just your opinion, not a listing of set-in-stone facts, and the fact that you can’t see beyond it is a pretty bad statement about the person behind your posts…
Don’t get me wrong, gyro pathing is abysmal, but with a bit of situational & environmental awareness you can plan for when & where to pop them to make it easier for them to do their job. Still, I’d like to see a update on that matter as well.
But even tho they can be improved, scrapper as a whole is far away from being “worthless” in PvE. Actually its the most fun spec to play for me right now. (Disclaimer, that is my personal opinion. I hope you already learned the difference between that and a broad, general statement)

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

(edited by Arantheal.7396)

in Engineer

leviathan.2148

@Arantheal thank you for providing that build, I will definitely try it out. You don’t have any stunbreak though, doesn’t that pose a problem?

And I definitely don’t say that scrapper is worthless in pve, more like function gyro. I myself play as a scrapper and hammer and traits are just great. I hope that your build changes my opinion about gyros

in Engineer

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

@Arantheal thank you for providing that build, I will definitely try it out. You don’t have any stunbreak though, doesn’t that pose a problem?

And I definitely don’t say that scrapper is worthless in pve, more like function gyro. I myself play as a scrapper and hammer and traits are just great. I hope that your build changes my opinion about gyros

I found myself to not care about stunbreakers that much anymore.
Bulwark, its toolbelt, FT #5 & sneak-gyro are instant-casts, so I can react decently even if I get stunned trough the permanent stability I have from flamethrower+juggernaut.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

in Engineer

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

What I run right now for open world exploration. It’s not even fully ascended yet.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFASncTB1ahVXBGpCEqil7iie1j9ZHcBjwAQ8g+hcA-TxBFwACuAAIV+xS9n06Aat/AgHAwVlgkCwchWA-e

And if you switch sigil of fire with strength, you can switch elixir H with Medic gyro or healing turret. Still Elixir H has a good chance for really high protection uptime, if the RNG is in your favor.

Regardless if you feel treated unfair or not by us, I personally have a blast in PvE with going full melee, since cc’s are not frequent enough to break juggernaut, dmg gets eaten up by bulwark / protection uptime / half knight gear, and incoming ranged pressure can be utilized offensively by bulwarks TB, or by simply poping sneak-gyro, waiting for c’s & reposition next to the ranged spammer, usually oppening with a thunderclap right from stealth again.
Mordrem snipers? reflect their killshot or goto stealth/reposition
Pocket raptors? thunderclap + hammer #3 + hammer #4. so much blocks & evades while pumping out dmg that even packs the size of 12 or more become free xp-piniatas.
Itzel archers? reflect their shots or goto stealth/reposition / clear condis with elixirs
mordrem husks or other high toughness / low HP mobs? Pop FT’s TB+napalm and reduce their health by a sizable chunk right away.
Want to chew trough a breakbar? Thunderclap + hammer 3 + FT #5 + FT#3 + 2xGyro daze. Haven’t met a open world mob that can deal with that combo so far.

And for events like wyvern, where melee just kills you, switch sneak out for mortar & enjoy spaming #1 for the next 15min…

So yea, your complaints are really just your opinion, not a listing of set-in-stone facts, and the fact that you can’t see beyond it is a pretty bad statement about the person behind your posts…
Don’t get me wrong, gyro pathing is abysmal, but with a bit of situational & environmental awareness you can plan for when & where to pop them to make it easier for them to do their job. Still, I’d like to see a update on that matter as well.
But even tho they can be improved, scrapper as a whole is far away from being “worthless” in PvE. Actually its the most fun spec to play for me right now. (Disclaimer, that is my personal opinion. I hope you already learned the difference between that and a broad, general statement)

Your build is very similar to mine.

The difference is I go for invention for constant speed boost instead of alchemy.
I find that I can easily get 25 stacks of mights from traits/runes/sigils, so I don’t think I need extra mights from elixir. As a result, I take Healing Turret over Elixir H. As for survival difference, Bunker Down from invention actually generates quite a few extra healing source too.

Also you’d have great success too even when you’re using Rifle
Only swap out flamethrower when you want to use 3 4 5 ~