v2.0, Rifle/AoE conditions build (video)

in Engineer

Posted by: aydenunited.5729

aydenunited.5729

There’s another post I started, back when I first experimented with this build. Here is the one I’ve been running that is more “tPvP” oriented, in that it offers permanent access to swiftness for roaming, makeshift bunkering, above average (for an engineer) damage output, and most importantly, a very overlooked ability to stack a power rifle build with condition damage at melee range.

Incidentally, this is one of the better 1v1 builds for engineers out there as well.

The build itself:

http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#mcMM9VmCvLMmCvlMG9MxGmaombmo8khV7070m7kG570V7owY8ofy

This video doesn’t really showcase much skill since it’s just some footage I got from an hour or two of pug play, but it does showcase some of the qualities of the build, and this has been tested against better opponents successfully as well. The biggest problem is that when I turn up the quality of my fraps, my FR drops to about 15-20 so it’s too hard to play competetively, which is why the quality on these vids are so bad. My apologies, I am poor.

Anyway, hope some of you enjoy and/or get something out of it, I enjoyed making it.

Jumzi (Ranger), Tarnished Coast

in Engineer

Posted by: Choops.3710

Choops.3710

Definitely going to give this a run in a few. Thanks, man!

Pikachoops – Engineer, Fort Aspenwood

in Engineer

aydenunited.5729

Thanks for watching, Choops.

in Engineer

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

Excellent. I found myself wondering how you had done enough damage to get your opponent down several times, then noticed the burns. It’s enough to make me start wanting to use flamethrower over elixir gun.

in Engineer

Posted by: Choops.3710

Choops.3710

Had too much wine tonight, but even with my drunken reaction time going on, the survivability seems excellent and the damage is pretty kitten good. Have to give it another run through tomorrow, but it’s almost drunkproof!

Pikachoops – Engineer, Fort Aspenwood

in Engineer

Posted by: Caino.7130

Caino.7130

Yeah i like the build to be fair, very respectable. Although i would like to say that if you enabled fast ground targeting option it would really speed up those jump shots.
Nice fights

rank 500+ Piken / Rank 60 PvP
Warrior – Teined
Guardian – Nomoreroomformyname

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I might actually try this one out thanks, like the freeze thing.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Engineer

Posted by: Amadeus.5687

Amadeus.5687

That were quite amusing to watch! It’s a fun new thinking setup and that’s all ways fun to watch being played! Kudos to you! I might have taken Invigorating speed myself for more dodge’s, seeing as you can swap kit’s while dodging and avoid more damage that way!! Have you tested out how that work’s? cause I see you standing and soaking a lot of damage some of the time

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

That were quite amusing to watch! It’s a fun new thinking setup and that’s all ways fun to watch being played! Kudos to you! I might have taken Invigorating speed myself for more dodge’s, seeing as you can swap kit’s while dodging and avoid more damage that way!! Have you tested out how that work’s? cause I see you standing and soaking a lot of damage some of the time

I noticed that too apparently he prepares by dropping bandages beforehand and he uses the drop elite alot both for the stuns and the heals.

I’ve adjusted his setup for my pve needs. Planning on testing them tonight. (since the gear i have is all condi damage anyways should prove useful.)

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Engineer

Posted by: Walorx.5129

Walorx.5129

Solid video, not too sure about the flamethrower, but I’ll definitely give it a shot tonight

Vöz – “Stand in the red circles, they heal you”
YOUTUBE.COM/VOZTACTICS

in Engineer

aydenunited.5729

This nice thing about this build is that’s an easy swap. I’m not that good of a dodger, so I’ve been taking Protection Injection instead of Invigorating Speed to handle some of that damage I’m soaking up until I get used to the build more.

But that’s two great ideas to improve it further… I think I am going to work with that trait and also change to fast ground targeting, I honestly never even thought about that until Caino mentioned it.

Also remember, every swap to FT kit clears a condition! This isn’t mentioned in Kit Refinement, but here’s what’s going on at melee range in every 1-2 punch kit swap, back to back:

1) Blast Trigger (medikit) (200-500 dmg)
2) Flame Blast (medikit) + Flame Blast (flamethrower) (around 15 seconds of burn damage)
3) 3 Stacks of might for 20 seconds, 6 if done again at 10 second mark (medikit traited)
4) Frost Blast (toolkit or flamethrower) (3 seconds of chill + around 500 dmg)
5) Swiftness (any kit) 5 seconds
6) Caltrops (toolkit swap)
7) Cleanse Condition (flamethrower) (every time you get flame blast you clear one condition)

All that doesn’t sound like much damage, but bear in mind all of that takes about 3 seconds to chain together, and you can’t be CC’d out of it. This particular build is a Thief-eater in most cases because of the melee damage it puts out. Against other classes, you’ll need to get in, spam your conditions, and get out, maybe shield and get out of LoS against rangers and such, then come back in when you can spam over again. Magnet and the knockback from Rifle and FT help mitigate the idea of knocking back/pulling in this build is centered around.

It takes a little coordination to get used to, but I promise you that for the survivability of this build, the damage is considerable, and I’m sure some of you could improve on it with different Amulet/Gem combos if you are good at avoidance, I’ve just found when I do this, is becomes much harder to defeat Thieves and Mesmers.

Best of luck and thanks for watching, glad to see some open minds!

in Engineer

aydenunited.5729

Incidentally, the FT is the ONLY reason this build works.

The Runes of Balthazaar + FT with refined kit is where the majority of the damage is coming from. A strong 15 second burn every 10 seconds isn’t to be taken lightly, the only rub is getting close enough to rifle both kit swaps off and hit with them both.

Plus the cleanse. Don’t forget the cleanse. I can’t preach the benefit of a basically idle 10 second lose a condition ability. I could even see this fitting into Elixir Gun builds that use Kit Refinement for an additional condition removal.

Also, because some of you might wonder in the vid, sometimes I place the fire wall down where I don’t want my enemy to go, sometimes I place it where I get that 20% chance of my rifle shot being a projectile finisher, sometimes… it just doesn’t lay at the angle I intended and I wasted it.

in Engineer

aydenunited.5729

FYI, I tried running this build with Bomb Kit in place of Toolkit… and changed around the 20 points spent in Explosives to match… to good effect. I don’t have any vids yet, but it’s a great bunker-busting build that way, I just find for general sPvP play, the original build still works due to the all-around nature of it.

I’ve also run this spec with Elixir S, but much like our woes in general, it’s bugged for Asura right now, whenever I use Elixir S, it rubberbands me in place when I try to run.

in Engineer

Posted by: BrimstoneAshe.5043

BrimstoneAshe.5043

Thanks for the build, info and video. I was thinking of switching the toolkit out with the bombkit and glad to see you tried with the good success. I’m a weird player. I sometimes like to just blow stuff up lol. Even if I die… I just love watching the havok a few bombs can cause. >.<

Asuran Engineer – Norn Ranger
[KAOS] of Anvil Rock

in Engineer

Posted by: Sephollos.4829

Sephollos.4829

What does that frost blast come from? I’ve never seen that effect before

in Engineer

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

What does that frost blast come from? I’ve never seen that effect before

I believe its a weapon sigil that trigger on weaponswap, or in our case when we swap to or from a kit.

in Engineer

Posted by: MentalPause.9183

MentalPause.9183

Gave this a try in WvW last night. (I’m a build junky) It was a solid build, decent Aoe, burns are nasty, good utility/survival. I’ve been looking for that balance between damage, aoe and cc, and this build seems to fit. I tend to play in small roaming groups, and this fits nicely into that playstyle. I have neen fiddling around with which stun breaker I want to use, elixir r is pretty awesome, however i much prefer elixir s’s toss. Personal prefrence I guess.

This build is worth a try for roaming WvW, give it a try folks.

Fort Aspenwood WvW’er
Officer of Bloodwork [RED] http://bloodwork.boards.net/thread/145/interested-joining-red