very needed pve changes

very needed pve changes

in Engineer

Posted by: Kresa.1859

Kresa.1859

Hello guys i am playing all the classes at the “endgame” , did high fractals zerk speed runs etc… i love some classes more then the others but engi is a diffrent problem.
At the moment grenade are the strongest “path” for a pve engi and i got no issues with that.
But i find the need to keep ground targeting all the time kinda annoying, not to mention that it hurts the focus ( dodging and stuff ) because some of the attention goes for ground targeting, and cause of it engi is the only class that i keep lonely in the corner.
I know i can just go for some other build , but well its not fun for me playing something and knowing that i aint at 100% contribution for the dungeon run.
I was wondering is there any chance that the auto attack will become automatic ( as in the water combat ) , it will surely make it more fun for many people ; )
Or actully might be even better if some other build will become better !

very needed pve changes

in Engineer

Posted by: Carpboy.7145

Carpboy.7145

Technically bomb does better damage than grenades, even traited

The Use of the Word ‘Cheese’
Lyss The Shadow
Legendary Champion of DB [EDGE]

very needed pve changes

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

I was about to make the same post.I have been tying to point out this misnomer in the engineer community for some time now, but have received much resistance.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

very needed pve changes

in Engineer

Posted by: PowerCat.5738

PowerCat.5738

Grenade is carpal tunnel heaven.

I don’t use them for that only reason. It hurts my hand when I mash 1 like a madman.

very needed pve changes

in Engineer

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Ah yes, grenades. Just about the only thing to like about them is the grenade barrage (and that #2 seems to hit silly hard for such a low cooldown skill).

My go to setup for PVE seems to always end up being rifle, elixir gun, tool kit, bomb kit.

Bombs for when i really want to get up close and personal, rifle for running around (#5 can be surprisingly effective in a melee fight), elixir gun i don’t have to explain, and tool kit for throw wrench.

Throw wrench packs a nice hit (at least as long as it gets to boomerang, pesky walls), is targeted, pierces, is a 100% projectile finisher, and is ready 10 seconds sooner than barrage. All kinds of crazy things happen when i throw that during a event boss fight.

very needed pve changes

in Engineer

Posted by: Forestnator.6298

Forestnator.6298

I was about to make the same post.I have been tying to point out this misnomer in the engineer community for some time now, but have received much resistance.

Bombs do have low burst damage while the #1 is the strongest autoattack for engineers. But according to the low burst you still need to cominbe bombs with grenades or static discharge.

very needed pve changes

in Engineer

Posted by: dusanyu.4057

dusanyu.4057

Bombs and nades are boring Fun Flamethrower build getting nerfed see no point in trying to continue to lvl my engie

very needed pve changes

in Engineer

coglin.1867

Bombs do have low burst damage while the #1 is the strongest autoattack for engineers. But according to the low burst you still need to cominbe bombs with grenades or static discharge.

I am unclear what your getting at here, as the comments where made in a comparison reference between bombs and grenades. By no means do you need grenades with bombs or vice versa. The fact still remains that an engineers using only the bomb kit, properly will in fact out DPS an engineer using just the grenade kit, properly.

Bombs and nades are boring Fun Flamethrower build getting nerfed see no point in trying to continue to lvl my engie

Your suggesting the FT or some specific build of it is getting nerfed? What build? And where is the information about it being nerfed. I generally stay on top of upcoming changes, and I have seen nothing that would nerf the FT. I need a link to evidence of this, or I am going to have ot call shenanigans.

(edited by coglin.1867)

very needed pve changes

in Engineer

Posted by: alceste.8712

alceste.8712

Your suggesting the FT or some specific build of it is getting nerfed? What build? And where is the information about it being nerfed. I generally stay on top of upcoming changes, and I have seen nothing that would nerf the FT. I need a link to evidence of this, or I am going to have ot call shenanigans.

FT builds are really being hit hard by the Incendiary Powder change. The loss of 10% damage from FT 1 while burning is significant.

very needed pve changes

in Engineer

Posted by: Advent Leader.1083

Advent Leader.1083

Soooo… bombs are more DPS and easier to handle but less attack procs → less on-crit procs, while nades have less DPS and harder to handle but gives more attack procs?

very needed pve changes

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

Grenades deal more damage than bombs in a team since they stack vulnerability much easier. Also they prob more swiftness or bleeding if you trait it. However noone says you mustn’t use both at the same time. I often use 3 kits since the elixier gun grants all the utility i need.

I played flamethrower engi but even with perma 20 stacks of might the damage is pathetic compared to bombs and grenades.

Back to topic: I feel like having 0 problems with the aim of grenades. Also what’s the big deal? Hold right mouse button and place the indicator about 700 range before you with a 45° angle into the ground. Now if you look up you get range, if you look right into the ground you attack melee. Easy-Peasy

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

very needed pve changes

in Engineer

coglin.1867

Grenades deal more damage than bombs in a team since they stack vulnerability much easier.

Wait…Wha…..I am maxing the cap of vulnerability with bombs. What logic allows grenades to do more damage when reaching the same cap?

(edited by coglin.1867)

very needed pve changes

in Engineer

Posted by: Lucey.1452

Lucey.1452

Grenades deal more damage than bombs in a team since they stack vulnerability much easier.

Wait…Wha…..I am maxing the cap of vulnerability with bombs. What logic allows grenades to do more damage when reaching the same cap?

Let’s do the math. With bombs 1 explosion every 0.5 seconds. Vuln from steel-packed powder lasts 6.5 seconds (assuming 30 in Explosives). Using precise sights you have a 50% chance to cause 3s (3.9s) of vuln on crits (lets say best case you have 100% crit chance). As such, you will only be able to maintain on average 17 vuln as a bomb engineer. If you also do sitting duck you will be able to bump this up to 22 vuln pretty easily. However with the amount of vuln spam from the other professions in your team comp, 25 should be easily maintained. As such, grenade vuln stacking is pretty overkill, and not needed for most organized groups. Also, the loss of fire fields and blast finishers with running a pure grenade build is something that should not be overlooked.

SoS
Professional Bag Farmer and Under Bridge Resider

very needed pve changes

in Engineer

Posted by: Infamous Darkness.3284

Infamous Darkness.3284

Let’s do the math. With bombs 1 explosion every 0.5 seconds. Vuln from steel-packed powder lasts 6.5 seconds (assuming 30 in Explosives). Using precise sights you have a 50% chance to cause 3s (3.9s) of vuln on crits (lets say best case you have 100% crit chance). As such, you will only be able to maintain on average 17 vuln as a bomb engineer. If you also do sitting duck you will be able to bump this up to 22 vuln pretty easily. However with the amount of vuln spam from the other professions in your team comp, 25 should be easily maintained. As such, grenade vuln stacking is pretty overkill, and not needed for most organized groups. Also, the loss of fire fields and blast finishers with running a pure grenade build is something that should not be overlooked.

You aren’t completely correct in your math, as bombs such as fire bomb cause one stack vulnerability per time that it ticks burning, meaning that since fire bomb procs burning 4 times it is effectively able to bump you up to the 25 vulnerability stacks (not sure if smoke bomb still works like this). http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/engineer/?2.0|a.5g.h1.e.5g.h1h.0.0.0|0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0|1g.7e.1g.7e.1g.7e.1g.7e.1g.7e.1g.7e|2s.0.2s.0.3s.0.3s.0.2s.0.2s.0|u37b.0.0.a1.u269|0.0|2c.2f.2e.2u.30|e this is the build I usually run though gives plenty of vulnerability as well as about 15-21 stacks of might for the group just cycle through grenade 2 then grenade 4, grenade barrage, and some bomb 1 spam when not stacking might with firebomb.

Infamous Culverin(engi[Main]), one of every other class.
Karl Marx: “Go away! Last words are for fools who haven’t said enough!”

very needed pve changes

in Engineer

coglin.1867

All bombs do not only offer one chance to proc. Fire bomb, Smoke bomb, and Glue bomb all pulse multiple times. Each offers “steel packed powder”

As the wiki says
Fire Bomb hits 4x over 3s. Each tick counts as an individual explosion. You have the initial explosion, plus the tics.
Glue Bomb Pulses 3 times plus the initial explosion.
Smoke Bomb Pulses every 2s on a 4s duration, plus the initial explosion

Sitting duck offers 5 stacks with glue bomb on an 8s recast. meaning in a fight longer then 5 sec you will overlap for 10 stacks.

Precise sights, varies, depending on crit chance. Not just for bomb, but grenades as well.

Not counting what I add with fumigate, as I run EG with my bomb kit.

(edited by coglin.1867)

very needed pve changes

in Engineer

Infamous Darkness.3284

as I stated above yes fire bomb does work that way with steel packed powder but I believe that glue bomb was changed so that it doesn’t apply it the same way quote from the wiki “Bug: as of the June 25 patch, the ticks of cripple after the initial explosion do not proc Steel-Packed Powder or Shrapnel.” not sure about the smoke bomb though.

very needed pve changes

in Engineer

coglin.1867

Sorry, that is inaccurate about the glue bomb on the wiki. I need to fix it, sorry. I often feel I am the only one that test skills after changes and updates the Engineer wiki. Honestly feels as If I am the only one who updates the engineer information at all. So everyone feel free to test and update accurate information.

The tics of glue bomb still activate steel packed powder, what changed was how the actual immobilize and cripple work.

(edited by coglin.1867)

very needed pve changes

in Engineer

Infamous Darkness.3284

ah thank you for the update I almost never use gluebomb in my rotation so never noticed.

very needed pve changes

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

Pretty interesting :o gonna test that myself tonight

“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!

very needed pve changes

in Engineer

Posted by: blutstein.2468

blutstein.2468

FT builds are really being hit hard by the Incendiary Powder change. The loss of 10% damage from FT 1 while burning is significant.

and we all know, its the only access to burning for an engineer…. oh wait!

kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten

very needed pve changes

in Engineer

Posted by: krixis.9538

krixis.9538

grenades = long range viable in every encounter kit and amazing in WvW for clearing walls zerg fights

bomb kit = very close range good for stack n spank fights can be limited in zerg fights esp when AC etc

in PVE both kits are fine the dps difference is so small when u take into account AoE and special attacks from bosses (ascalon fractal any 1 )

also about grenades and being ground target after a while u will build up muscle strength and get used to spamming buttons. I played WoW from release I Europe till Gw2 release, so I have no problem with the spam and have done it for hours on end.

also grenade ground target has great synergy with its travel time and the ability to nuke walls in wvw makes it very valuable.

btw I run grenade kit throw land mine (both skills are epic fun) and rocket turret (for the toolbelt full zerk = 10k +dmg on 25 stack vuln).

the throw mine skill is nice dmg and the mine field can be nice when kiteing / stacking and the knock back can be very handy for handleing trash in 48 + fractals.

I like explosives

Desolation EU
Fractal lvl 80 – 126 AR

very needed pve changes

in Engineer

Posted by: Dredd Spirit Caller.4082

Dredd Spirit Caller.4082

every time this post
all builds work good just see the group you in
if u got a group who make dps just set your build on dps or support
if u got 2 guardian on group just set your build berserk
if u got AoE group (necro/ele) put up a AoE build (granades) or long distant dmg (rifle)

fractal is a group dungeon and not solo running
change ur build based on group builds
it’s the same for other dungeon

Engy:Turrets Nade/HgH Kit Bunker Zerker
Necro:MMMesmer:pve omniRanger:SpiritsThief:P/P

very needed pve changes

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

The rifle is a short range or melee weapon, not a long distance weapon … That would be the grenade. To change your weapons, kits, skills depending on the situation is something rarely somone does, but it’s what ppl should do. It helps a lot. To retrait is too much imo ö.ö’’

very needed pve changes

in Engineer

Posted by: Norjena.5172

Norjena.5172

FT was never good. AA sucks hard. If they don´t buff it´s dps, the FT will still be a utility tool. But not a mainweapon.

To think doing good dps with a power based weapon +burning+a few stacks bleeding is a little bit….weird.

And if the group is not complete dumb. Bombs are enough to get 25 stacks of vulnerability. 2 Warriors can stack 10-15 even on bosses, a ranger 5+. So only 5-10 stacks are needed.
And we still have room for fifths mate.

It´s stupid to talk about theoretical DPS with 25 stacks of vul applied cause it will never happen.
25 are usually never needed. Only in rly bad gruops, but this gruops don´t do dmg, even with 25 stacks.

BTW: Rifle AA + toolbelt + SD DPS > Ranger Longbow/Shortbow DPS.

(edited by Norjena.5172)

very needed pve changes

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

25 are usually never needed. Only in rly bad gruops, but this gruops don´t do dmg, even with 25 stacks.

Wait … whut!? So … only “bad” groups require might stacks? Only “bad” groups should get exotic + stuff? Seriously, everything that increases damage is awesome for the group. It’s never ever about “what’s required”. It’s only about how to deal max damage. And 25 stacks vulnerability are a part of it.

BTW: Rifle AA + toolbelt + SD DPS > Ranger Longbow/Shortbow DPS.

So it’s less worse than the bearbow ranger? Gratz – now the ranger goes melee? What do you do? Right … going for explosives.