what does engi -need-?

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

a quick thought dawned on me, and that was I had no idea what else my favored class could possibly be given in future expansions.
a long range weapon? nope, mortar kit.
melee? every weapon besides pistol is basically that.
burst melee? would rather use hammer.

i have a feeling that the class will have to suffer some sacrifices in order to be given anything in future expansions. mortar kit may be nerfed in favor of a ranged weapon (and it would have to be so that this new weapon has any appeal at all)
Or if it’s another melee weapon, Hammer might suffer nerfs too, because i can’t see another melee weapon being better than hammer. It seems Anet more or less created the perfect spec with scrapper and everything after might just be weaker. besides the gyros. those are useless.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

Posted by: guildabd.6529

guildabd.6529

Long range condition weapon.

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

Lightsbane.9012

not needed. it would offer less conditions than pistols.

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Offensive buffing. There’s a reason we don’t have a spot in raids and that’s a spot that could give us one. Defensive buffing too, we have a lot of personal tools but very few team based options.

Other than that I’d rather have reworks. We don’t need an Elite spec for healing if they’d just fix medkit up to work well for instance.

As far as long range though, Mortar is nice, but while the 1 skill (and the rest) are decent for moderate damage, the 2-5 are utility not damage. The question is what and how thematically? A staff for range damage doesn’t seem Engineer-y, and Bows in general don’t, but I guess you could force some reason with a Bow, like new tech on a compound bow.

But, that’s the problem with a versatile profession like ours, they can’t really give us something new, just something that works better.

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

Boon Strip
Cripple on crit trait
Reliable Resistance

offense buff, engineer’s playstyle is one that never made sense we play a high risk low payoff style

it almost feels as if engineer was designed around having Heavy Armor rather than medium

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

Lightsbane.9012

Boon Strip
Cripple on crit trait
Reliable Resistance

offense buff, engineer’s playstyle is one that never made sense we play a high risk low payoff style

it almost feels as if engineer was designed around having Heavy Armor rather than medium

yeah, it was.

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

guildabd.6529

Pistols are short range.

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

Posted by: Mahkno.7593

Mahkno.7593

- teleport (gadget or gyro)
- personal char car

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

Posted by: Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

A way to apply ‘unblockable’ for a period of time

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

guildabd.6529

A way to apply ‘unblockable’ for a period of time

Yes pls. Utility goggles is good candidate for this.

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

Lightsbane.9012

Pistols are short range.

i didn’t say they were long range.

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

Posted by: Samug.6512

Samug.6512

So:
-shield rework,
-one handed power weapon (mace?) to pair with shield,
-more ways to mitigate damage (I’m talking about vanilla engi),
-rifle buff,
-gadgets rework,
-proper med kit.

(edited by Samug.6512)

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

What we really NEED is a party wide, unique buff / debuff on the enemy that makes us a solid single pick for raids.

I’ll be honest, I do not care at all about PvP, nor WvW.

What we could use in general though are things that have been mentioned before: Shield, Rifle, Gyro, Gadget, Turret buffs and reworks.

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

Jerus.4350

A little off topic, but I think most here would agree reworks to things we have would be just as valuable as new things. But, one small change I saw someone suggest was swapping pistol 3 and 4, this would make MH pistol the main damage dealer, offhand pistol still the ideal dps combo, but in making MH pistol more powerful you’d make shield a more viable option (though it would still need some love).

Thought I’d just repeat it as it’s such a small change with such great QoL changes.

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

Posted by: Dediggefedde.4961

Dediggefedde.4961

- any kind of traited/profession group buff
- buff of turrets, gadgets (mines!), gyros, toolkit and throw elixirs (e.g. boon removal)
- range damage that is not a projectile.

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

Posted by: Pride.1734

Pride.1734

MORE KITS

…and something that gives us a place in high level PvE

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

Posted by: HnRkLnXqZ.1870

HnRkLnXqZ.1870

Some kind of buff like the guardian/ranger/warrior/necromancer, which applies to everyone arround while in combat and gives a fixed bonus on anything. Maybe something like reducing skill-cooldown by 10% or increasing boon-duration by 20%. Something none of the other classes can provide, but makes the enginner worth to have in party (for raids).

A combo (field + bf) that grants area quickness, with stackable duration. I was hoping to see that when the hammer was introduced. Instead we have got another swiftness-source.

A gyro which we can place in mid air and serves as a platform for 20 seconds, 40 seconds cooldown. When overcharging, the gyro explodes and the person standing on it gets launched 10m up.

A skill like the mass stealth detection from the stealth gyro, which either locks all mobs to autoattack only in PvE or blocks weaponswap in PvP for a few seconds. Could be an elite skill, gizmo maybe.

Another combo (field + bf) that generates fury.

Elexir S tossable with 5 target limit.

dulfy-effect: Knowledge is power. But without fame, you are just a freak.

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

Lightsbane.9012

MORE KITS

…and something that gives us a place in high level PvE

Well, that’s something Engineer and thief have in common. Sure, thief can do insane single target DpS, but can be killed by a flyswatter, and the raid bosses are pretty big flyswatters.
the problem with engineer is it’s very good at keeping itself alive, and all of its support skills are useless (something i don’t care about. i have invested almost zero hours into gw2’s stale pve) but nonetheless it makes the engineer something that’s never really needed.

(edited by Lightsbane.9012)

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

Correct.

Fewer gimmicks as well. Engineers need (ironically) to stop being Jacks of All Trades because they aren’t actually “good” at any given thing. With the trait rework many of the options that worked (because numerous options are required for JoAT types) were deleted and replaced with options that were lackluster albeit stable.

Engineer is terrible. It literally doesn’t do anything very well even if it doesn’t do anything very poorly and that in and of itself removes it from the pool of specializations.

(edited by DGraves.3720)

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

Jerus.4350

Correct.

Fewer gimmicks as well. Engineers need (ironically) to stop being Jacks of All Trades because they aren’t actually “good” at any given thing. With the trait rework many of the options that worked (because numerous options are required for JoAT types) were deleted and replaced with options that were lackluster albeit stable.

Engineer is terrible. It literally doesn’t do anything very well even if it doesn’t do anything very poorly and that in and of itself removes it from the pool of specializations.

We’re still masters of soft CC with quality hard CC which is why we’re liked on VG. But, that’s about it. We’re still very good on various things, and if you can’t epi bounce or bounce conditions back on necro we’re be top dogs in condi damage.

We’re hardly in the state of unviable that some people believe, but yes we do need something that is our own, something to keep us a quality option in general play, and we just don’t have that. I’d say necro doesn’t either, but their niche cool things occur enough that they’re almost always a solid option (I believe KC is the only raid where necros aren’t really seen as a good option?).

Overall I’d like to see a rework to med kit to make a healing role something we can reasonably do. I’d like to see us given a buff for the group (though I like xyonon’s idea of it being in the form of a debuff on targets, just sounds engineer-y). And then some QoL things like Shield skill reuse being looked at, and swapping pistol 3/4 to give mainhand pistol more power opening up options for shield (offhand pistol still being preferable for damage though). So IMO we’re not far off.

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

DGraves.3720

The problem is that the Engineer is too “lonely” though. He does everything. He does nothing well. He isn’t really complimentary either. Buffs and debuffs etc. the engineer actually has. From permanent weakness through an autoattack to being able to stack it’s own Vulnerability … with an auto-attack he’s good at that. But… that’s it. That’s where he ends. He doesn’t have an aura or a banner or a trait that gives precision or ferocity to nearby allies or anything like that.

He’s great to have around when you want him to do something by himself. He can solo anything. But … that’s about it. Fixing core isn’t going to do anything; no matter how great his shield is no one is going to bring him to raids because of it. The problem isn’t that he can’t do things and be “viable” it’s that he brings literally nothing that is desirable outside of solo play to the game.

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

Jerus.4350

Absolutely to solidify a spot in raids we need a unique buff like others get that give them theirs.

I’ve also thought boonshare would be fun on the next Elite spec, share those solo buffing capabilities we have. At the same time I don’t want to take away mesmer’s unique thing, but if they’d just give them the damage buff they rightfully deserve they have enough other utility things that they could carve a niche and we’d share that boonshare option.

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

Posted by: Mahkno.7593

Mahkno.7593

engi should be able to pick and choose any combination of traits from any trait line like the old days.

the end.

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

Jerus.4350

engi should be able to pick and choose any combination of traits from any trait line like the old days.

the end.

I think you’re going to have to elaborate on that point if you want to make it. I see pretty good value in all the trait lines at the moment. Between PVE and WvW play I choose a variation of all of them.

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

DGraves.3720

the end.

Agreed. This was the class hit hardest by the “simplification”.

Absolutely to solidify a spot in raids we need a unique buff like others get that give them theirs.

I’ve also thought boonshare would be fun on the next Elite spec, share those solo buffing capabilities we have. At the same time I don’t want to take away mesmer’s unique thing, but if they’d just give them the damage buff they rightfully deserve they have enough other utility things that they could carve a niche and we’d share that boonshare option.

But “boonshare” isn’t enough really. GoTA for Druids, Chronomancer has Alacrity, Herald is living endless boonshare and a superior beacon if that was going to be a thing, etc. You’re going to need something that sets stuff aside; something that only the Engineer can actually do. A “Might Conduit” isn’t going to get you to the same place as Alacrity.

The Scrapper traitline actually makes the problem worse; it is the embodiment of solo-play. You can do it all! All by yourself! With no one else’s help. That doesn’t really do anything for anyone else either. Not that I am against solo play but I at least know it’s not very conducive to MMOs unless there’s solo paths in dungeons or puzzles or something that requires that level of sustain.

So you won’t be taking anything from a Mesmer because Alacrity isn’t going anywhere.

(edited by DGraves.3720)

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

One handed power weapon to go with shield. Shield also needs some love.

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

Posted by: FiveGauge.1357

FiveGauge.1357

Engi needs an offensive utility kit. In PvE, this is not the case, Engi needs a trait in explosives/firearms reworked to give unique damage buff to raids.

But my suggestion, a kit with crap/zero damage, but brilliant accompaniment to an offensive build that packs heavy damage already, like Grenadier, DPS Scrapper with no Gyros, etc.

• #1, mediocre basic attack.
  • #2, Enemy Targeted 700 range, electricity themed teleport, deals insignificant damage, single target 1/4s daze, 4s cripple on hit, 10s CD.
  • #3, Directional cone template ability, charge in selected direction, 400 distance, removing chill/cripple/immobilize from Engineer, and envelopes the path in a magnetic themed effect that pulses .5 seconds later, stealing protection from up to 3 targets. Deals insignificant damage 15s cooldown.
  • #4 Self-Buff, 1s cast time, gain fury for 5s, mightx5 for 5s, and attacks become unlockable for 5s. 30s cooldown.
  • #5 Self buff, .75s cast time, phase shift, granting stealth and providing vision of stealthed foes for 3 seconds. 40s cooldown.
  • Toolbelt, stunbreak, instant, spray metallic mist around you, breaking stun and granting resistance for 2s, 180 radius, 25s CD.

(edited by FiveGauge.1357)

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

• #4 Self-Buff, 1s 3/4s cast time, gain fury for 5s, mightx5 for 5s, and attacks become unlockable for 5s 6s. 30s cooldown.

I like most of it, just made a small adjustment that I feel would make the unblockable keep its consistency compared to other skills that provide the same buff.

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Engie needs “Field Enhancement”.
- Whenever an Engie uses a finisher on a field, the duration of said field extend by 30% for everyone.
- Whenever an Engie lays a field, the effects of the field are 20% more effective.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

Extending field durations you blast is an eyecatcher. It greatly buffs professions like Ele … and … uhhh … well only Ele :| But it’s a concept! To increase the duration of Lava Fonts / Air Overloads by a reasonable amount to boost dps. But I doubt that’ll make a big enough difference to be a solid pick.

I’ve seen different suggestions like buffing / debuffing uniquely via super speed, gyros or expert examination, aka stuns and dazes, heck why not knockbacks aswell to sync with core engi?! Those are imo the most attractive party buff concepts. I’d rather have to do something than just having another +X aura.

Yet what we all agree on here is that we need a party buff / enemy debuff, and that it should be unique.

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

DGraves.3720

What would be nice is if Engineer simply “tacked on” something to already present boons. For instance making Might 33% more effective or something. Or making breakbar damage significantly greater. Something that attacks the more subtle mechanics.

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

Jerus.4350

I’ve been playing around with healing Engi, and realized something disturbing last night. Now I quickly figured out Soothing Detonation was pretty darn bad. Then last night I looked up it’s actual calculated value and realized it’s worse than Water staff1 on Ele… yes, it’s LESS healing than a 1 skill… so add that to the list of needs, that trait needs some buffing at least in PVE (I could see people not wanting that in PVP where sustain is already a complaint).

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

I’ve been playing around with healing Engi, and realized something disturbing last night. Now I quickly figured out Soothing Detonation was pretty darn bad. Then last night I looked up it’s actual calculated value and realized it’s worse than Water staff1 on Ele… yes, it’s LESS healing than a 1 skill… so add that to the list of needs, that trait needs some buffing at least in PVE (I could see people not wanting that in PVP where sustain is already a complaint).

Add to that the fact that u cant interrupt medkit #1 by start casting another spell e.g. toss elixir B.
You’re basically stuck in medkit #1 animation even tho ur in danger….

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

Posted by: Caesteris.7529

Caesteris.7529

For a good number of their skills to not be reliant on uncontrollable A.I.

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

Posted by: Seteruss.4058

Seteruss.4058

Gyro AI…defenately

Is it luck or skill keeping you alive?

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

Posted by: Rude.9485

Rude.9485

I want like an actual support specialization like the Druid unless they fix the medkit but even then is that enough for a healing/ support build? I would also love to see something like a teleport it would fit so well in terms of the mechanical advanced technology themes. In terms of weapons I’d guess mace pr axe but it could really be anything. For example even a scepter could be made into sort of a ranged tesla or conducting rod or something. It doesnt have to even be a healing thing any new unique mechanic that can offer group support would be great.

(edited by Rude.9485)

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

Jerus.4350

I want like an actual support specialization like the Druid unless they fix the medkit but even then is that enough for a healing/ support build? I would also love to see something like a teleport it would fit so well in terms of the mechanical advanced technology themes. In terms of weapons I’d guess mace pr axe but it could really be anything. For example even a scepter could be made into sort of a ranged tesla or conducting rod or something. It doesnt have to even be a healing thing any new unique mechanic that can offer group support would be great.

Actually, yes, if med kit was fixed/buffed properly we could easily have a solid support role. There’s 3 main types of heals I’ve found.

Small Consistent healing (effectively regen)

• Guard: Traited symbols, traited Virtue of Resolve, Elite Signet, and Mace Auto
  • Ele: Water staff 1, Soothing Mists persistent effect
  • Druid: Staff1 and 2

Small more consistent burst (Your 1-2k heals)

• Guard: Aegis heals (1.4k+ heal every 5-6 seconds depending on aegis rotation)
  • Ele: Aura heals (1.4k+)
  • Druid: Seeds of Life (1.3k+)

Large burst healing (your 4k+ heals that paired with the rest are able to bounce people back from large damage)

• Guard: Wings of Resolve, Receive the Light, Elite Signet activation
  • Ele: Geyser, Wash the Pain Away, Overload Water
  • Druid: Lunar Impact, Ancestral Grace, Rejuvenating Tides full channel, Glyph of Rejuvenation

Overall we have solid regen, a half decent bit of that small burst through initial drop of Super Elixir (saving it for when you need it though means our regen potential drops), and HT pulses. But, both of those are on long reuse compared to similar heals from the 3 professions above. We don’t have any large heals for the group outside of mass blasting a water field but there are so many times now that it’s just not practical to expect that as a possibility (combo fields everywhere!).

What I’d like to see for Med Kit:

• Water field, it’s too big of a sacrifice to lose compared to the HT and Gyro alternatives
  • Large heal, something like Geyser/Lunar Impact, this brings up concerns of scrapper sustain mainly in PVP, but there are at least half a dozen ways I can think of to limit that.
  • Damage, we shouldn’t be stuck doing 0 damage while in Med Kit, and Med kit is a huge part of our ‘small consistent regen like heals’ without it we can’t get anywhere close to Ele with water Staff 1, let alone with that and Soothing Mists.

Along with that a substantial buff to Soothing Detonation, ideally in it’s HP scaling so you can’t just toss it into a more offensive focused build in PVP/WvW.

I’d go into more detail on my ideas but this post is more than long enough, and I doubt they’d want to do exactly my thoughts anyways, but with the above we’d still be second rate, just a viable second rate. And, a full support Elite Spec could be cool.

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

guildabd.6529

Don’t forget revenants tablet (6k every 3 seconds) and their regen (700 every second) easily outheals med kit.

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

Jerus.4350

Don’t forget revenants tablet (6k every 3 seconds) and their regen (700 every second) easily outheals med kit.

Yup, I just listed the things I’m familiar with (and I actually missed a couple things, like Druid Pet heal, and Guardian’s Merciful Intervention).

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

DGraves.3720

You missed Elixer-Infused Bombs. <3

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

Jerus.4350

You missed Elixer-Infused Bombs. <3

RIP, they supposedly gave us something better, I just haven’t found it yet I guess.

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

Lightsbane.9012

i wouldn’t mind this, but i’d prefer it to be ranged, at least in my preferences. that being said…what the kitten would it be.
i think, still, engineer is one of those professions that needs new (as in do not exist yet) weapons to come into the game for it to go anywhere.

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

Lightsbane.9012

Engi needs an offensive utility kit. In PvE, this is not the case, Engi needs a trait in explosives/firearms reworked to give unique damage buff to raids.

But my suggestion, a kit with crap/zero damage, but brilliant accompaniment to an offensive build that packs heavy damage already, like Grenadier, DPS Scrapper with no Gyros, etc.

• #2, Enemy Targeted 700 range, electricity themed teleport, deals insignificant damage, single target 1/4s daze, 4s cripple on hit, 10s CD.
  • #3, Directional cone template ability, charge in selected direction, 400 distance, removing chill/cripple/immobilize from Engineer, and envelopes the path in a magnetic themed effect that pulses .5 seconds later, stealing protection from up to 3 targets. Deals insignificant damage 15s cooldown.
  • #4 Self-Buff, 1s cast time, gain fury for 5s, mightx5 for 5s, and attacks become unlockable for 5s. 30s cooldown.
  • #5 Self buff, .75s cast time, phase shift, granting stealth and providing vision of stealthed foes for 3 seconds. 40s cooldown.
  • Toolbelt, stunbreak, instant, spray metallic mist around you, breaking stun and granting resistance for 2s, 180 radius, 25s CD.

you sort of get most of this if you run tool kit/elixir c. i would look at this suggested kit and still take tool kit over it.

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

Posted by: FiveGauge.1357

FiveGauge.1357

you sort of get most of this if you run tool kit/elixir c. i would look at this suggested kit and still take tool kit over it.

Good, means that the initial balance isn’t garbo. Also remember that it’s a stunbreak

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

DGraves.3720

i wouldn’t mind this, but i’d prefer it to be ranged, at least in my preferences. that being said…what the kitten would it be.
i think, still, engineer is one of those professions that needs new (as in do not exist yet) weapons to come into the game for it to go anywhere.

One handed CQC would be mace.

I don’t think there are any one handed “power” weapons that are long range. Design choice.

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

Lightsbane.9012

I don’t think there are any one handed “power” weapons that are long range. Design choice.

and no sensible engineer would take it over hammer unless it offered a leap, and shield was re-done to be useful.

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

DGraves.3720

and no sensible engineer would take it over hammer unless it offered a leap, and shield was re-done to be useful.

I support both though.

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

Jerus.4350

Shield skills are fine, it’s just the reuse that is far too long. I mean what other weapon skill still has a 40s reuse? Something like 20/24 for the two skills respectively would work fine IMO. Even lower would be of course better

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

Posted by: Krag.6210

Krag.6210

Engis were the masters of vuln stacking before HoT, I’d like a way to push that concept further in raids.
Just like there’s a trait in Scrapper that gives quickness when you stack too much might, there should be a trait that adds another layer of vuln-like debuff when the vuln stack is past a certain threshold.

what does engi -need-?

in Engineer

DGraves.3720

Engis were the masters of vuln stacking before HoT, I’d like a way to push that concept further in raids.
Just like there’s a trait in Scrapper that gives quickness when you stack too much might, there should be a trait that adds another layer of vuln-like debuff when the vuln stack is past a certain threshold.

But Engineer, Explosives already gives you 7% damage for just dealing damage to an enemy with vulnerability. Engineers gain 32% more damage at full stacks. A new layer won’t do much though perhaps maybe some form of defensive debuff overall that could effect others would.