what is this craziness?

what is this craziness?

in Engineer

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

i just ran into an engineer and died in 1 second. i run a glass ranger so i know i’m really weak, but i was hit for 1-2k about 10 times by grenade barrage in under a second.

i’m curious to know what this is because i’ve never seen it before. i was pretty surprised when i was dead instantly.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

what is this craziness?

in Engineer

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Sounds like you just met 100nades.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

what is this craziness?

in Engineer

Posted by: Destroyer.1306

Destroyer.1306

It’s called 100nades and you can search for an explanation in the Engi forums — it’s all over. Kit Refinement essentially allows you to hit someone with an extra Grenade Barrage if you are standing right inside of them.

Stinky Garbage, Engineer. Meatbag, Guardian. Dum Dums, Elementalist.

what is this craziness?

in Engineer

Posted by: Zenguy.6421

Zenguy.6421

And it seems to be the only burst Eng build . . . so figure out how to avoid it.

what is this craziness?

in Engineer

Posted by: amiable.4823

amiable.4823

And it seems to be the only burst Eng build . . . so figure out how to avoid it.

Well there are a few burst builds based on static discharge, but they aren’t as fast as 100nades.

Aliquot Love – Engineer
Gable Thorn – Elementalist
Shining in Darkness – Warrior – Mag

what is this craziness?

in Engineer

Posted by: redslion.9675

redslion.9675

Next time, just stay away from the engineer. To kill you with barrage in one hit, the engineer has to use grenade barrage from the toolbelt (which is ranged) and the barrage coming from kit refinement (http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Kit_Refinement), which is set around the engineer.

That’s how it works: the engineer goes near you, uses the barrage from the toolbelt and switches to grenade kit while it’s being casted, thus hitting you with 2 high-damage barrages.

The problem is that, to reduce grenade spread to 0, he has to be INSIDE your model. Yeah, even more melee than melee.XD

If you want to avoid hundred nades as much as possible, then just don’t go near the engineer.

You will never be able to know what an engineer is going to do next…

because he doesn’t know it himself

what is this craziness?

in Engineer

Posted by: SmoothHussler.6387

SmoothHussler.6387

Anytime you see an engineer trying to get you close….run, dodge, block, stealth i.e. get away.

Maguuma: Thug Life: [DERP][ME][PYRO] and other assorted dead guilds.

what is this craziness?

in Engineer

Posted by: Amadeus.5687

Amadeus.5687

You haven’t tried a Confusion burst Engineer then! You can look forward to my next Roaming movie showing some serious confusion burst in that case!

what is this craziness?

in Engineer

Posted by: Kardiamond.6952

Kardiamond.6952

i just ran into an engineer and died in 1 second. i run a glass ranger so i know i’m really weak, but i was hit for 1-2k about 10 times by grenade barrage in under a second.

i’m curious to know what this is because i’ve never seen it before. i was pretty surprised when i was dead instantly.

With a Ranger again a 100nade, use your range and your high amound of dodge.

Being Glass Ranger, won’t be easy as it is not a top build, but you can still kite engineer around as they have to be close to do a lot of damage.

Rotthen (Necro) / Zhyx (Engineer) /Inglorious Beasterd (Ranger)
Server : Anvil Rock (Since Release!) [SOLO]

what is this craziness?

in Engineer

Posted by: Ferum Flamebender.5910

Ferum Flamebender.5910

You haven’t tried a Confusion burst Engineer then! You can look forward to my next Roaming movie showing some serious confusion burst in that case!

Indeed. Watch out for my prybar. normally this thing gives you about 10 broken bones, but this one ‘just’ confuses you.

Aetra Ironbender, Rated E for Engineer- [WoT] Warlocks of Tyria- Far Shiverpeaks

what is this craziness?

in Engineer

Posted by: redslion.9675

redslion.9675

In WvW confusion destroys people.

If you are using a confusion-based build in spvp, I salute you, and I’m eager to see your vids.

You will never be able to know what an engineer is going to do next…

because he doesn’t know it himself

what is this craziness?

in Engineer

Kardiamond.6952

Well our confusion buils are mostly used in WvW.

Not sure it would be viable in sPvP. That confusion nerf in sPvP is really hard.

what is this craziness?

in Engineer

Posted by: google.3709

google.3709

Love this build <3 specially now more with the ply bar boost

what is this craziness?

in Engineer

Posted by: google.3709

google.3709

Well our confusion buils are mostly used in WvW.

Not sure it would be viable in sPvP. That confusion nerf in sPvP is really hard.

it still is, even at half its damage you can get confusion to hit for 1,600 with concussion bomb + ply bar which destroys enemies (specially if they try to dodge roll) and or if they are not paying attention and its a beast on zerg battles.

what is this craziness?

in Engineer

Posted by: Ayestes.1273

Ayestes.1273

Confusion to me is fine in sPvP and has considerable impact even there. This is kinda offtopic though. Then again, the answer has already been given. The build is 100 Nades and it works by controlling someone and standing inside them while using an activated Grenade Barrage and a Kit Refinement Grenade Barrage.

Virydia – Hearld
Tirydia – Scrapper

what is this craziness?

in Engineer

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

Next time, just stay away from the engineer. To kill you with barrage in one hit, the engineer has to use grenade barrage from the toolbelt (which is ranged) and the barrage coming from kit refinement (http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Kit_Refinement), which is set around the engineer.

That’s how it works: the engineer goes near you, uses the barrage from the toolbelt and switches to grenade kit while it’s being casted, thus hitting you with 2 high-damage barrages.

The problem is that, to reduce grenade spread to 0, he has to be INSIDE your model. Yeah, even more melee than melee.XD

If you want to avoid hundred nades as much as possible, then just don’t go near the engineer.

i don’t think he ever got inside me but he did get really close. i was autorunning while typing and then blam i was dead.

i’ve been 100b’d, shattered, backstabbed, firegrabbed and nothing has every managed to kill me that fast.

i wish rangers had burst like this O.o

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

what is this craziness?

in Engineer

Posted by: Chickenshoes.6250

Chickenshoes.6250

Many people try to set it up with the magnet ability. If you see weird little yellow squiggly lines going towards you, just know to dodge as soon as you can and you will completely foil it.

Just treat those kinds of ‘nade engies like melee. Try to keep them at range and whatever you do, don’t stand still. Nades have to be ground targetted at range. It might help to try and dogdge the icy-looking frost grenades. You don’t want to be slowed by that

If you can avoid those specific things, he’s just an engi. Get your team to help and he’s floored for being glass. It’s not like he can juke the whole zerg like a thief or ele. Elixir S only works for 3 seconds, during which cripple is still effective.

I think you might have trouble with his rifle though. If he can net you or knock you down with it that could be trouble.

(edited by Chickenshoes.6250)

what is this craziness?

in Engineer

Posted by: JohnDied.3476

JohnDied.3476

i wish rangers had burst like this O.o

Don’t worry. The devs don’t like the engineer having this burst either, a few more patches and you’ll see engineer burst knocked down again.

what is this craziness?

in Engineer

Posted by: BrimstoneAshe.5043

BrimstoneAshe.5043

While I know all too well the “weakness” of the 100nade is you need to be on top of the player. Having played the build for some time I can say the Engineer has all sorts of tools to make that happen. And any engineer who plays 100nade for any amount of time gets used to countering the 100nade counter.

I just point this out because this thread seems to really make it sound super easy to avoid. And granted as a Ranger you’ve probably got some of the best tools to do it, but since your a GC build all they need is one window of opportunity to drop you and as I said, they’ve got a few tricks up their sleeve to make that happen.

Asuran Engineer – Norn Ranger
[KAOS] of Anvil Rock

what is this craziness?

in Engineer

Kardiamond.6952

@BrimstoneAshe

This combo is really hard to land on a good opponent.

In WvW even more, because of the pull issues and the lag/culling.

On my server, we just finished fighting vs NSP. NSP is a server with a lot of roaming group, and they have amoung the best players I found in WvW since release.

Trust me, I hardly ever landed a 100nade combo on those player. That’s the reason why I’m no longer 100nade. It’s a really powerful built, but in a 1vs1, if the enemy knows about it, you have to outplay them really bad to land it.

I’m not as good as five gauge or other pro engineer, but I rarely ever get beaten on my engineer. But landing 100nade on a good player, it’s a challenge. Especially immortal mesmer or a good contrip DD elem. I even fought a ranger from the SPLT guild that knew about my combo and made is impossible for me to land it.

100nade is good, but it’s far from being easy to land the burst. Well it’s easy on PvE/Zerg players, but any combo is easy on them.

what is this craziness?

in Engineer

Posted by: BrimstoneAshe.5043

BrimstoneAshe.5043

@kardiamond

I’m on AR too. I ran into PAXA, SPLT, and Envy too. The Envy mesmers were always a handful. Most mesmers are, but those guys were some of the best mesmers on that matchup IMO. I’m not saying 100nades is full proof. But I never thought it was an “all you gotta do is avoid the combo” sort of build either. Or I should say I learned pretty early on that I should never play it where I relied it on it completely. And once I changed that mindset I seemed to figure it out ways to land it even on those incredibly slippery Envy guys.

I know you love to set up your duels. And that’s cool. I don’t think the average WvWer gets to do that most often. I was really referring to your average WvWer experience context. Or at least my average WvW experience. When someone intentionally kept at range I still felt I could put good pressure with my range tools as well. In fact when I first started using the build, all I was trying to do was land the combo. And I struggled landing it. But then I changed my mindset and I found I could actually put pressure on first from range and just let the opportunity to land the combo present itself — it often times would.

I kinda went back to my boxing days when my trainer taught me how to get my opponents to move into my left hook instead headhunting with it and trying to force it to land.

Asuran Engineer – Norn Ranger
[KAOS] of Anvil Rock

(edited by BrimstoneAshe.5043)

what is this craziness?

in Engineer

Posted by: Sororita.3465

Sororita.3465

Ran into one the other day, all my gear has toughness on it and i have over 21k hp, didnt matter that much lol. Luckily i realized and popped Elixer S and then stacked conditions

^-^

@ Brim
Those mesmers…..annoying as hell.

Commander Starlight Honeybuns[BUNS]
Timelord to Lillium Honeybuns, IoJ
Forever together, or not at all.