1 Hand sword / Shield Crit type. Is it a viable build for PVE/PVP/WV3?

in Guardian

Posted by: Creed.3258

Creed.3258

I’m planning to make a crit type guardian, is it viable for PVE/PVP/WV3?
Thanks

Just because I don’t care doesn’t mean that I don’t understand.

in Guardian

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

1H sword doesn’t do that much damage in PvE. You want a Mace or GS for DPS. I mean, you could go 1H sword if you wanted, but you’re giving up a lot of damage and not getting much back in return.

1H sword is only good in PvP where reliable damage against kiters and having a teleport makes up for the lack of overall DPS.

in Guardian

Posted by: Relentliss.2170

Relentliss.2170

It works ok. I quite like sword/torch and mace/focus. I did quite a bit of content quite easily this way.

Sword shield in contrast was very slow. I can’t reccomend it.

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional

Anet lied (where’s the Manifesto now?)

in Guardian

Posted by: Anarok.9713

Anarok.9713

I don’t know I have been using sword and shield from lvl 2 to lvl 80. It hits just as hard if not harder most of the time then my GS. With the added toughness and the protection and knock back helps a lot too.

With the right traits it works well, I say go for it.

in Guardian

Posted by: Hevy.5074

Hevy.5074

The beauty of the 1H sword is that its auto attack hits 5 times. Thats a guaranteed proc of Virtue of Justice every single auto attack chain. Grab a focus and you’ll have plenty of blinds and blocks to keep yourself alive as well.

in Guardian

Posted by: Creed.3258

Creed.3258

Thanks guys I’ll try playing with 1hsword /torch and 1hsword/shild and see which ones I will use

Just because I don’t care doesn’t mean that I don’t understand.

in Guardian

Posted by: ThePropagation.3692

ThePropagation.3692

Creed you should give focus a try as well it has a ranged blind which grants regeneration
and a shield ability that blocks up to 3 attacks and it explodes after a certain time if it does not use up all the blocks doing a decent bit of damage for solo play id say its much better than a shield.

in Guardian

Posted by: Foosnark.1784

Foosnark.1784

1H sword doesn’t do that much damage in PvE. You want a Mace or GS for DPS. I mean, you could go 1H sword if you wanted, but you’re giving up a lot of damage and not getting much back in return.

Sword hits many more times in the same time period, which means more opportunities to crit and more setting enemies on fire.

Mace is more of a defensive weapon, with its heal on third autoattack and its block.

If we had three weapon loadouts available, I’d go sword/torch, scepter/focus, and mace/focus.

in Guardian

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

I love the sword, but I never use it.

In dungeons, I need to pile on tonnes of damage, and blinds are gumped against bosses, so sword is out of the question. Two-hander is much better for damage.
In WvW, I need to hit several opponents at a time and do damage. Again, the sword can do neither.

I experimented with sword/focus for a while and found that it’s amazing against a single non-uber-boss mob with two blinds (one on sword and one on focus), blind on Virtue of Justice(trait), Aegis on “Retreat!”. The mob can barely ever hit you if you play it right. Any more than one mob and this tactic is fail, if the mob is an uber-boss that mitigates blind, then you can’t use this blind+aegis tactic either. It’s so stupidly situational that it’s not worth learning about, especially when two hander can dish out so much more damage and you still live against the boss (albeit a much closer fight- you actually take some damage).

Having recently rediscovered the joys of the staff, I find that all the one-handers are out of the window, much as I love them, they are too weak.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

(edited by Svarty.8019)

in Guardian

Posted by: Polle.6908

Polle.6908

The sword is good dps alternative to the mace but isn’t very effective in mass pulls. The constant burning is quite handy though I’d take mace for personal survivability than anything else. The sword is a fun weapon to use and I do plan on crafting one down the track when I make enough money.

in Guardian

Posted by: ElendStormcler.7105

ElendStormcler.7105

A well traited Sword/Focus build has a quite the high DPS alone, but…
This game is about swapping weapons at the right time.
If you like the sword, it’s O.K. Get a sword use it as an initiator in PvE and spike with ZD, then swap to GS and finish them. =)

Overall, GS and Hammer > Focus and Mace and Sword in terms of DPS, but the last three has other useful skills in a lot of situations. =)

Fayle Stormcler – Aurora Glade !

in Guardian

Posted by: Punny.9210

Punny.9210

how do u get dmg on focus more than shield or torch ? u only have a blind that does little dmg

if u use for more survival that’s good

but u would always do more dmg with torch and at least shield.

Blackgate