12 min Into Matale 7, What Is This Build That Won't Die?

in Guardian

Posted by: Cempa.3645

Cempa.3645

12 min into the video Matale goes up against a Staff/GS Guardian who will not die, seems the Guardian is running a heavy defensive build but not sure, any idea?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=f6RtnSyz62A

in Guardian

Posted by: Thereon.5219

Thereon.5219

Looks like a shout build, I was watching his bar and seeing the buffs that popped up. Probably went heavy defense with 30 in valor and probably took alturistic healing. Might have gone down the Honor tree as it seems most logical to do so.

in Guardian

Posted by: Rayya.2591

Rayya.2591

first :
the warrior was horible, he made 0 kills by himself with orbs
he rushed in with an zerg behind him and managed to hit 1/2 targets, failed to kill 2-3 players below lvl 80
regarding the guardian he start to fight since minute 9 to the end:
a lot of healing power, low hp pool , some dmg and some armor
if u can see the heals are over 70% of his hp pool, so i assume that his max hp is arround 15 k and he run with over 1k healing power. build looks viable on first sight but as you noticed guardian wasn’t presured by heavy dmg, our boy made max 1 hit of 2500 rest arround 700, and the ranger behind didn’t made heavy dmg either.

http://imgur.com/a/fKgjD
no.1 WvW kills

(edited by Rayya.2591)

in Guardian

Posted by: Trungalung.7850

Trungalung.7850

Guardian has at least 20 points in Honor. Pretty sure on it since he has Selfless Daring and using a GS so he should have 2-Handed Mastery. His Adept Major trait seems to be Superior Aria. He seems to be heavily geared toward healing as Rayya pointed out. At 11:00, you can see that his Selfless Daring heals for quite a chunk. My guess is that he’s a Virtues staff support (0/0/0/30/30 for example) with GS on switch for some extra offensive power.

in Guardian

Posted by: Morelia.6835

Morelia.6835

first :
the warrior was horible, he made 0 kills by himself with orbs
he rushed in with an zerg behind him and managed to hit 1/2 targets, failed to kill 2-3 players below lvl 80
regarding the guardian he start to fight since minute 9 to the end:
a lot of healing power, low hp pool , some dmg and some armor
if u can see the heals are over 70% of his hp pool, so i assume that his max hp is arround 15 k and he run with over 1k healing power. build looks viable on first sight but as you noticed guardian wasn’t presured by heavy dmg, our boy made max 1 hit of 2500 rest arround 700, and the ranger behind didn’t made heavy dmg either.

You don’t need healing power for Signet of Resolve to heal your entire hp pool.

in Guardian

Posted by: Rayya.2591

Rayya.2591

i do need
my hp pool on wvw is over 20k without any orb

http://imgur.com/a/fKgjD
no.1 WvW kills

in Guardian

Posted by: Morelia.6835

Morelia.6835

Sounds excessive for a Guardian.

in Guardian

Cempa.3645

i do need
my hp pool on wvw is over 20k without any orb

Do share

in Guardian

Posted by: SiNoS.2147

SiNoS.2147

That guard is pribally a simular build to mine focusing on AH with the staff means with a few people around him hes dishing out 10kish just from staff 4 skill. It makes us very sturdy.

in Guardian

Posted by: ElSdE.3215

ElSdE.3215

This guardian is using one of 2 builds, ether 0/0/30/20/20 or 0/0/10/30/30. the first one in particular is extremely tanky. AH and empowered might cause a constant heal every time you crit also with the gs you get might on 3rd strike witch adds to it. Plus he probably has improved resolver fore the extra regen. I can also tell he is useing boon duration to maximize the length of protection and regen. With this build you also have 3 ways to completly heal your self not counting your dodge rolls with double sigil of energy (i use 40% dodge regen food combined with vigor being up alot cause of crits). So each roll heals me for 1350, so think about it douible dodge switch wep dodge is 4050 health and by the time iam done rolling 3 times spaced out with vigor and my food i can dodge again. Poping virtue’i is a aoe for 3 boons each virtue. It really is mind blowing how much healing 0/0/30/20/20 has.

in Guardian

Posted by: ArtemisEntreri.4138

ArtemisEntreri.4138

Guardian has at least 20 points in Honor. Pretty sure on it since he has Selfless Daring and using a GS so he should have 2-Handed Mastery. His Adept Major trait seems to be Superior Aria. He seems to be heavily geared toward healing as Rayya pointed out. At 11:00, you can see that his Selfless Daring heals for quite a chunk. My guess is that he’s a Virtues staff support (0/0/0/30/30 for example) with GS on switch for some extra offensive power.

Pretty sure he is running something like this. Disregard the runes and gems. Copy and paste.

_http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUAQJARWlYgqCnFyvDfIFSmiVCBtKQQYKwoP6ShDRRA;TgAgzCvo8y0loLbQOvkBB

I timed his healing signet use so he has at least 10 into Radiance for signet mastery. Valor I threw in there for grins and giggles but it’s pretty necessary. Honor for larger symbols and shout cd redux(could be Write of the Merciful instead). He can cleanse like a boss so that made me believe he has at least 20 into Virtues for Absolute Resolution.

Guardian / Warrior / Thief / Necromancer
Black Gate – Immortals of the Mist [IoM]

in Guardian

ArtemisEntreri.4138

This guardian is using one of 2 builds, ether 0/0/30/20/20 or 0/0/10/30/30. the first one in particular is extremely tanky. AH and empowered might cause a constant heal every time you crit also with the gs you get might on 3rd strike witch adds to it. Plus he probably has improved resolver fore the extra regen. I can also tell he is useing boon duration to maximize the length of protection and regen. With this build you also have 3 ways to completly heal your self not counting your dodge rolls with double sigil of energy (i use 40% dodge regen food combined with vigor being up alot cause of crits). So each roll heals me for 1350, so think about it douible dodge switch wep dodge is 4050 health and by the time iam done rolling 3 times spaced out with vigor and my food i can dodge again. Poping virtue’i is a aoe for 3 boons each virtue. It really is mind blowing how much healing 0/0/30/20/20 has.

If you watch, he is keeping his virtues on cd because of the 5 pts in Virtues. None of your builds account for the 32 second cooldown he has on his healing signet.

in Guardian

Cempa.3645

Pretty sure he is running something like this. Disregard the runes and gems. Copy and paste.

_http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUAQJARWlYgqCnFyvDfIFSmiVCBtKQQYKwoP6ShDRRA;TgAgzCvo8y0loLbQOvkBB

I timed his healing signet use so he has at least 10 into Radiance for signet mastery. Valor I threw in there for grins and giggles but it’s pretty necessary. Honor for larger symbols and shout cd redux(could be Write of the Merciful instead). He can cleanse like a boss so that made me believe he has at least 20 into Virtues for Absolute Resolution.

It fits I just can’t get over 12k HP !

in Guardian

ArtemisEntreri.4138

Hmm just noticed he doesn’t gain retaliation when he uses a virtue so he can’t have more than 10 in Virtues….

_http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUAQJARWlYgqCnFyvDfIFRWhVaVggYK04Hve4QKyQA;TgAgzCvo8y0loLbQOvkBB

Maybe?

in Guardian

Posted by: Animus.6073

Animus.6073

I only watched the video once so I can’t say exactly but I know enough to be sure it is some variant of x/x/30/20/x. Where those missing 20 points go is up for some debate but these are the confirmed traits as far as I can tell.

Very sturdy build and allows for quite a bit of flexibility. I personally run 0/15/30/20/5.

in Guardian

Cempa.3645

http://www.gw2build.com/builds/simulator.php#1.3.12.7.0.0.4.4.0.0.54.72.74.73.77.1.1.7.0.0.0.167.0.0.181.185.191.196.204.0.214.0.0.0.10.30.20.10

I took a stab at it and assumed he is using a full complement of Meditation abilities though he may not have the teleport.

Also note that if he is using crafted/dungeon gear he will have more stats.

in Guardian

Posted by: Bobobejumbo.4951

Bobobejumbo.4951

Well it’s not every day I get to see myself in a video and being talked about. Animus is correct, it is indeed a 0/15/30/20/5 build.

in Guardian

Cempa.3645

Bob wanna share some insight about the build, HP and why you like it?

in Guardian

Bobobejumbo.4951

Sure thing. I’m at work right now though, and linking things from my phone is beyond my capabilities. Please send me a PM to remind me and I will get on it as soon as possible.

in Guardian

Posted by: Hyral.4168

Hyral.4168

Sure thing. I’m at work right now though, and linking things from my phone is beyond my capabilities. Please send me a PM to remind me and I will get on it as soon as possible.

This is pretty awesome – I’m at work too but I might bug you in PMs if no one else does.

in Guardian

Bobobejumbo.4951

That would be just fine.

in Guardian

Posted by: Nethril.7413

Nethril.7413

I am also very interested in some details about your build. I’ll shoot that PM to remind you to post them up here. Thank you Bob.

Zyrith – Thief | Morden Krad – Guardian | Nethril – Warrior
[ACEN] Ascension | Tarnished Coast

in Guardian

Bobobejumbo.4951

Holy kittens, I just woke up ( i sleep after work) and have 43 PM’s. Starting to work on a reply right now. Well, as soon as my room mate gets back with the cod and beer. I can at least answer one of the more common questions I saw. I’m Canadian, not French. I speak English as a primary language, like most Canadians. I play on VS with my family, and I use the english forums since it’s usually here that official responses, and better discussion happens.

in Guardian

Bobobejumbo.4951

Quick link, until I have the time to give a more thorough explanation of the build.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUAQJARWlYg67mFyKEfIFRuA7DEETBG141DHSRGC;TgAqsMZJyymlLLZWrPGFA

I use a mix of the stats from 5 pieces of Aurora (Karma version of Soldiers) gear, and 1 piece Valkyrie (boots).

And no, I do NOT stick with just the GS as my main weapon. In fact, I view the staff as my main weapon. I frequently change the GS out for the Hammer, or a mace/focus(shield). I find little to no use for the torch (jumping puzzles in the dark maybe?) 1h sword, or the scepter. Working on compiling a pretty lengthy guide, but I do not know how long that will take given my schedule. In the meantime, please feel free to continue asking questions.

in Guardian

ArtemisEntreri.4138

Quick link, until I have the time to give a more thorough explanation of the build.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUAQJARWlYg67mFyKEfIFRuA7DEETBG141DHSRGC;TgAqsMZJyymlLLZWrPGFA

I use a mix of the stats from 5 pieces of Aurora (Karma version of Soldiers) gear, and 1 piece Valkyrie (boots).

And no, I do NOT stick with just the GS as my main weapon. In fact, I view the staff as my main weapon. I frequently change the GS out for the Hammer, or a mace/focus(shield). I find little to no use for the torch (jumping puzzles in the dark maybe?) 1h sword, or the scepter. Working on compiling a pretty lengthy guide, but I do not know how long that will take given my schedule. In the meantime, please feel free to continue asking questions.

Happily awaiting your guide. Thanks for taking your time to share with the rest of the guardian community.

in Guardian

Posted by: fony.5102

fony.5102

more interesting is the fact that the guy who made the video is using it to whine about how warriors are so underpowered. it really just shows how he’s bad at the class.

in Guardian

Posted by: Italyguy.4128

Italyguy.4128

It says that the link is bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Warlock.2461

Warlock.2461

The GW2 forum tends to have problems with long URLS.

This should work – http://bit.ly/PJs6NW

in Guardian

Posted by: Ifrit.7296

Ifrit.7296

I’m using pretty much the same build and love it. You guys should definitely check it out.
My only tweaks are 2handed mastery (9) in Honor, and I use double energy sigils in hammer/GS.

in Guardian

Cempa.3645

@bob how much +healing?

The build you linked is a great support group focused build, have you tried other kind of builds?

Let me give you an example:

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fUAQRApe7dlcgaDXGSNEm4EhVhBi9gjecjXPgYEbIA;TYAqdM7I2xujbH5OA

Very similar to your build.

(edited by Cempa.3645)

in Guardian

Posted by: chtiyonki.6284

chtiyonki.6284

This build don’t die:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gIZjwVP0Fc

(starting @ 2m15)

in Guardian

Posted by: bantapoo.1093

bantapoo.1093

so this is a version of crithammer using a GS. basically what I use, except I go 10 on Virtues to get 20% cd reduction on Consecrations, which covers 2 of our best utilities: the fire aoe, and the projectile wall

in Guardian

Cempa.3645

This build don’t die:

(starting @ 2m15)

http://www.gw2build.com/builds/simulator.php#1.3.12.3.0.18.4.4.0.4.54.65.64.61.77.4.4.41.152.0.0.0.0.0.186.185.191.197.205.204.0.0.0.10.0.30.30.0

By the way after seeing your video and putting together that build I like it! Though it is power starved so wounder how it will do against heavy Toughness builds.

in Guardian

Cempa.3645

This build don’t die:

(starting @ 2m15)

You wanna link your build?

in Guardian

Posted by: morbidillusion.2759

morbidillusion.2759

What kind if healing power do you need to get 1350 healing on dodges? I only get about 500 now.

in Guardian

Posted by: Danicco.3568

Danicco.3568

I’ve read that the Healing on Dodge scales 1:1 with your Healing Power (haven’t tested though), so about… 1000+ Healing Power?

in Guardian

Posted by: foofad.5162

foofad.5162

It’s a little bit less than 1:1 but basically. It has a very poor baseline healing and really good healing power scaling. I suspect it’ll be nerfed or changed such that it has significantly better baseline and worse scaling with power. That would put it in line with how most of the other heals scale. Regeneration on its own is not bad but it only scales based on 12.5% of your healing power. So the most you can do is double it, which sounds like a lot but regen is a drip heal and isn’t as helpful in short fights.

Eilir Eirasdottir, Guardian, Tarnished Coast
Painbow.6059: Ignore what anyone else who doesn’t agree with me has said because its wrong.

in Guardian

Posted by: DEDEN.2870

DEDEN.2870

I’d have to say that Selfless Daring is probably my favourite guardian trait in the game. With my cleric’s exotics and 20 points in honour, my dodges heal me and any ally close enough for around 1200 health. That adds a huge amount to survivability in any kind of protracted fight (especially if you’ve got virtues adding additional health per second as well).

That being said…

Warriors may have nastier bursts and may have some nice damage mitigators available to them, but in an extended engagement their lack of “free” blocks and ongoing heals tend to mean they eventually get worn down by attrition.

At least in my experience, default Guardians tend to be built as the “mighty glacier” of professions (ie. they can dish out damage and take it on the chin, but lack in speed), whereas Warriors tend to favour being “glass cannons”.

That’s not to say you can’t build a Warrior that’ll do well in an extended fight, of course. It’s just that most people tend to focus on being so much on offence that they only put a token effort into their defence.

Case in point: the video linked above.

It looks to me like the Warrior has gone pretty heavy into offence and is relying primarily on his slot skills for defence (condition removal via Mending and “Shake it Off”, and Endure Pain as a stun break and escape enabler) and sticking with a group to give him protection from having to fight one-on-one for any length of time.

In a group or with the zerg he’ll run people down pretty easily. He’ll probably even get a lot of kills. But in a one-on-one…

Overall he’s really pretty squishy. 22K health is not a huge amount for a Warrior and his Toughness can’t be all that given how hard the guardian’s direct damage attacks are hitting him (ie. like a truck).

Consequently, he’s having to back off and heal every once in a while — which is exactly the wrong thing to do against a guardian — especially one with armour and healing that strong.

Personally, if I was the Warrior, I would’ve given up on fighting the guardian after the first little skirmish. It would’ve been much more effective and useful to the team to just run away and go fight over an actual objective. Then again, I wouldn’t be running a build that overspecialized and squishy either, so…