A good build for a tank

A good build for a tank

in Guardian

Posted by: TheMurkMuffin.8213

TheMurkMuffin.8213

Q:

Does anyone have a build (in the new trait system) that is a versatile tanky one? If you could post it on a build editor, that would be amazing!

Kaliabell – 80 Norn Reaper
-Retired Thief

A good build for a tank

in Guardian

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

A:

I’m working to update the old Legendary PoV build to work better under the new trait system. Trying to find the best way to mix in the minimal reasonable amount of Healing power (which used to come from the trait line).

The basics are Trooper runes and a gear mixture for 2500+ power (basically all power primary), enough Vit to get around 15k HP, 2500-2600 “Armor”, and the aforementioned healing power via the secondary stats.

Between PoV and the Trooper runes, it has powerful condi cleanse and applies boons that burst heal you . You can easily swap the third utility for anything needed (like Reflection), and synergizes perfectly with Wrath. Mace/Torch & Hammer are currently topping the list for meta potential with the new Symbols trait, but is still perfectly viable with Greatsword. (Though Hammer has the most compound potential for PvE standing fights)

Heres a prototype I’m working on based on this.

http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=-B;4NFk40J3JGV90;9;4nPN;0146256158;45BW0O;1CqNYCqNYo-FII1GH;3kbk6lbl6mbm62o-Gs0V;9;9;9;9;9;9;15-6o

Note that the Zelots armor is a just place holder for the Healing power, until I figure out how much I can safely shave off and put it back into other stats. The 15k health is intended purely as a buffer against Condi damage and mob swarms, letting you soak a bit of damage to better space shouts out.

For fights where condi control won’t be a problem, you can swap for Writ of Persistence to get almost permanent symbol uptime. Combined with Hammer and a small group stack, you can heal faster then you take damage.

The only down side is the loss of some crit damage, but its a small price to pay for being practically unkillable.

A good build for a tank

in Guardian

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

As always, where are you planning to use this? Open World, Dungeons, or WvW?

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

A good build for a tank

in Guardian

Posted by: abclemons.7093

abclemons.7093

For PVP, I’ve been pretty happy with this build . It’s tankish with ok damage… kind of reminds me of playing shoutbow on warrior before the Change.

Actual stats in PVP (cuz Into the Mists can’t get their stuff together):

!http://abclemons.com/gw2/Phnx/cele_hybrid_guard.jpg!

Koffix (ele) | Koffix Sprockets (engi ) | Koffix Shadows (teef) | Koffix Clones (mes) |
Koffix [xxx] (all the rest)
[Phnx] Phoenix Rises from the Ashes | Crystal Desert

A good build for a tank

in Guardian

TheMurkMuffin.8213

As always, where are you planning to use this? Open World, Dungeons, or WvW?

All three, if possible.

-Retired Thief

A good build for a tank

in Guardian

TheMurkMuffin.8213

I’m working to update the old Legendary PoV build to work better under the new trait system. Trying to find the best way to mix in the minimal reasonable amount of Healing power (which used to come from the trait line).

The basics are Trooper runes and a gear mixture for 2500+ power (basically all power primary), enough Vit to get around 15k HP, 2500-2600 “Armor”, and the aforementioned healing power via the secondary stats.

Between PoV and the Trooper runes, it has powerful condi cleanse and applies boons that burst heal you . You can easily swap the third utility for anything needed (like Reflection), and synergizes perfectly with Wrath. Mace/Torch & Hammer are currently topping the list for meta potential with the new Symbols trait, but is still perfectly viable with Greatsword. (Though Hammer has the most compound potential for PvE standing fights)

Heres a prototype I’m working on based on this.

http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=-B;4NFk40J3JGV90;9;4nPN;0146256158;45BW0O;1CqNYCqNYo-FII1GH;3kbk6lbl6mbm62o-Gs0V;9;9;9;9;9;9;15-6o

Note that the Zelots armor is a just place holder for the Healing power, until I figure out how much I can safely shave off and put it back into other stats. The 15k health is intended purely as a buffer against Condi damage and mob swarms, letting you soak a bit of damage to better space shouts out.

For fights where condi control won’t be a problem, you can swap for Writ of Persistence to get almost permanent symbol uptime. Combined with Hammer and a small group stack, you can heal faster then you take damage.

The only down side is the loss of some crit damage, but its a small price to pay for being practically unkillable.

This is what I was looking for! Thank you!!!! Amazing breakdown for people like me that I have focused on mainly dps-based classes. Thanks

-Retired Thief

A good build for a tank

in Guardian

TheMurkMuffin.8213

For PVP, I’ve been pretty happy with this build . It’s tankish with ok damage… kind of reminds me of playing shoutbow on warrior before the Change.

Actual stats in PVP (cuz Into the Mists can’t get their stuff together):

!http://abclemons.com/gw2/Phnx/cele_hybrid_guard.jpg!

Thank you for your input!

-Retired Thief

A good build for a tank

in Guardian

Posted by: DroidDreamer.2861

DroidDreamer.2861

Check out my Guardian WvW Mace/Shield & Staff Support Build:
http://goo.gl/VftpD3

A good build for a tank

in Guardian

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Running this for wvw zergs; nothing too special and is almost the same thing pre-patch except with more condi clear.

http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=-B;4NF-4093RG-90;9;4nPQ;0046156248;4UNk66;16TsW6TsWa-FQ3-VJ;3TbT6UbU6VbV62o-Gs1k;5c2CuFYDokYDBc22u;9;9;9;9;04-6s

I find renewed focus too important for dealing with massive damage, and not to mention the stab uptime.

If you need more defense, replace one of the zerker trinkets with a celestial or cleric one. I’m considering bringing back a celestial amulet since dodge heals are so weak now.

Also consider communal defense if other guardians run strength in numbers.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)