Aegis, Visual effect - removed

in Guardian

Posted by: Tron.3471

Tron.3471

I find it interesting that so many people are using shields considering that it is by far the worst weapon in the game.

Other than that, I like the idea of it only appearing when you enter combat.

in Guardian

Posted by: Tenrai Senshi.2017

Tenrai Senshi.2017

A simple solution is to have an option that players can toggle, to either show it, show it only on enemies and not the player, or to not show it at all. I’ve personally never seen the points of us being able to see our own aegis, because I’m not really looking at my own character to see what buffs he has. I always look above my skill bar if I need to see my boons or conditions. O_o

in Guardian

Posted by: Dante.8456

Dante.8456

The only justification I have seen for it staying is that people insist it is a visual cue to let other classes know the Guard has Aegis up. But to be quite honest, why should the others get such an obvious cue? There are no obvious cues for other skills on other professions. As long as the buff is visible on the character bar (as are all others) then I don’t see why it should be made exceptionally obvious that a Guard has said buff up.
I say keep the initial animation of the shield appearing but only have it last a few seconds and remove the rest of the skill effect.

Desolation EU
Guardian / WvW Enthusiast

in Guardian

Posted by: pure.4329

pure.4329

Please let us removed that effect, it ruins every left hand weapon!! I crafted rodgort since few weeks and i can’t look at the skin properly because of the aegis, that’s the reason i’m not making the legendary shield witch is beautiful.
Since the beginning i expect that someday we’ll have a way to remove this effect.

The guardian is my main Profession and it really start to kitten me off.

Thanks, waiting forever for a reply …

in Guardian

Posted by: Tskales.2804

Tskales.2804

It does look crap.

I’d rather it disappeared after it has become active.

“I’m sure glad that A-net is spending the 20 minutes or so that it would take to remove
the hobosack on making more important additions to the game.
Like golden pigs for the gem store” – Gern.2978

in Guardian

pure.4329

Does anyone have seen any information about that since launch ? ^^’

in Guardian

Posted by: DroidDreamer.2861

DroidDreamer.2861

I would favor being able to toggle this off; or having it apply only in combat. I run with an awesome Guild Defender shield. What’s the point if the guild logo is covered by a translucent shield icon?

Check out my Guardian WvW Mace/Shield & Staff Support Build:
http://goo.gl/VftpD3

in Guardian

Posted by: vindictus sigilarum.9468

vindictus sigilarum.9468

Please please please Anet, get rid of this effect. It’s not necessary and it really ruins the aesthetics of many shields. Anyone who says they need it to recognize a class in PvP, WvWvW is lying. It’s easy enough to see their class just by targeting them and looking at the class icon. If getting rid of it all together is not an option please add a timer to it to last for around five seconds and then have it go away. I hate the way it clips into my shield.

in Guardian

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Please please please Anet, get rid of this effect. It’s not necessary and it really ruins the aesthetics of many shields. Anyone who says they need it to recognize a class in PvP, WvWvW is lying. It’s easy enough to see their class just by targeting them and looking at the class icon. If getting rid of it all together is not an option please add a timer to it to last for around five seconds and then have it go away. I hate the way it clips into my shield.

And I love how it looks because it allows me to have a focus or use a greatsword and still “have a shield”.

in Guardian

vindictus sigilarum.9468

And I love how it looks because it allows me to have a focus or use a greatsword and still “have a shield”.

Sorry but your argument is a horrible one. Its not a real shield. It should be done away with because it is a distraction and the only real purpose it serves is to distinguish a Guardian from a Warrior.

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

leave it on pvp zones…

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in Guardian

Posted by: McWafflez.6521

McWafflez.6521

Aegis also clips half way into your arm when you have the great sword out. Honestly the aegis effect looks cartoony as hell too.

in Guardian

Posted by: drgast.1469

drgast.1469

Love me some aegis animation. One of the cooler looking things in game imho.

in Guardian

vindictus sigilarum.9468

Love me some aegis animation. One of the cooler looking things in game imho.

What the heck are you talking about? It’s an incredibly simplistic design that clips on most everything be that armor, shields. It’s annoying as heck, and that’s with even with graphics at max to make it as good looking as it gets.

in Guardian

pure.4329

I truly hate this efect, the more i see it the more it annoy me. It became worse since we’re able to play with the fov.

I would LOVE an option to turn off this effect and btw i never pay attention to it in PvP to know if a player has an aegis up or no, i simply look really often the effects up under his life bar and i think most player too. So it’s useless in my opinion even if i understand some player find it pretty cool.

I’d like to have an answer to know if the possibility of a removable aegis was asked .

Thank you and i hope this subject won’t die like the others!

in Guardian

Jerus.4350

Sorry but your argument is a horrible one. Its not a real shield. It should be done away with because it is a distraction and the only real purpose it serves is to distinguish a Guardian from a Warrior.

So because you don’t like it it should go away, and me having an opinion is horrible… sir, please grow up.

in Guardian

McWafflez.6521

So because you don’t like it it should go away, and me having an opinion is horrible… sir, please grow up.

It looks absolutely horrible with a great sword as half of it goes through your arm with the great sword wielded. If you say it doesn’t you’re just lying to yourself.

Attachments:

(edited by McWafflez.6521)

in Guardian

McWafflez.6521

Even worse from this side

Attachments:

in Guardian

vindictus sigilarum.9468

No, it should go away because its useless garbage taking up gpu resources. I pvp 80% of the time in this game. I can tell you for a fact i never look to see if the other guy has this to tell what his class is. As pointed out by another earlier, it’s easy enough to look at the effects on their bar or hell even just there class icon when you target them. In WvWvW no one can see through the mob to tell who they are targeting 9 times out of 10.

You are right I don’t like it. I never said it should go away for that reason. I stated it was annoying as heck and clips through my character, makes the graphics of shields look horrible. I’d rather have a selector to disable it in the settings menu, or at the very least have them set it to fade after you draw weapons lets say around 5 seconds.

Perhaps you should take some of your own advice sir and grow up. The post is not about you, but about something that a great number of your fellow players don’t care for and find affects their enjoyment of the game.

in Guardian

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

Give option in Game Options to disable Aegis for yourself when you are in PvE.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

in Guardian

Posted by: Shanks.2907

Shanks.2907

At the very least when you hide UI Aegis should also be hidden. That way it won’t effect game play and everyone is happy.

in Guardian

Posted by: twohearted.6472

twohearted.6472

I agree with this, please create an option to disable it. It looks terrible.

in Guardian

Posted by: Relentliss.2170

Relentliss.2170

The real issue is why are you using a shield? It is puss.

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional

Anet lied (where’s the Manifesto now?)

in Guardian

Jerus.4350

No, it should go away because its useless garbage taking up gpu resources. I pvp 80% of the time in this game. I can tell you for a fact i never look to see if the other guy has this to tell what his class is. As pointed out by another earlier, it’s easy enough to look at the effects on their bar or hell even just there class icon when you target them. In WvWvW no one can see through the mob to tell who they are targeting 9 times out of 10.

You are right I don’t like it. I never said it should go away for that reason. I stated it was annoying as heck and clips through my character, makes the graphics of shields look horrible. I’d rather have a selector to disable it in the settings menu, or at the very least have them set it to fade after you draw weapons lets say around 5 seconds.

Perhaps you should take some of your own advice sir and grow up. The post is not about you, but about something that a great number of your fellow players don’t care for and find affects their enjoyment of the game.

Request a setting to remove it and I’m all for it, request to remove something because you have issues with it and I’ll disagree if I like it.

I have no clipping issues with it… Asura Master Race

Attachments:

in Guardian

Posted by: nightblood.7910

nightblood.7910

It’s an important visual cue for PvP, WvW. It probably needs to stay.

I disagree, its bad enough that others have stealth, we have to show off our skills as well. I neither like the color clash nor the identification.

in Guardian

pure.4329

Hi, here is just a screen to support my comments.

Attachments:

in Guardian

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

If anything you’re supporting the fact the visual effect is needed to determine whether or not you have a block.

Should Engineer backpack kits be removed because they don’t like their “hobo packs”? That thread has over 1k comments already.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

(edited by Saiyan.1704)

in Guardian

pure.4329

If anything you’remember supporting the fact the visual effect is needed to determine whether or not you have a block.

Should Engineer backpack kits be removed because they don’t like their “hobo packs”? That thread has over 1k comments already.

I’m personally for a choice to be able to see or not, the effects that some players don’t want to see like the aegis or the hobo packs.

What’s the purpose of buying or crafting awesome weapons and stuff that you can’t see properly when you’re playing with.

I hope we’ll have some feedback from someone of Anet one day …

(edited by pure.4329)

in Guardian

vindictus sigilarum.9468

If anything you’re supporting the fact the visual effect is needed to determine whether or not you have a block.

The thing is you can easily see if someone has aegis up just by looking at their buffs when they are targeted, your argument is baseless. More so in WvWvW where there are too many people to even tell if you are facing off with a guardian or a warrior visually unless you look at their class symbol. I’m completely for just a toggle in settings to hide it seeing as there are a few people that actually like it…. frankly for me I’d rather not have to dye my armor to fit with this one graphic. I like using my shield, and worse if i use a focus or torch it completely hides them, which I am not cool with.

in Guardian

Posted by: Tskales.2804

Tskales.2804

They should remove this eyesore, and ignore the people who want to keep it purely because those who want the eyesore to stay do so just to spite the those who want rid of the eyesore.

“I’m sure glad that A-net is spending the 20 minutes or so that it would take to remove
the hobosack on making more important additions to the game.
Like golden pigs for the gem store” – Gern.2978

in Guardian

Saiyan.1704

The thing is you can easily see if someone has aegis up just by looking at their buffs when they are targeted, your argument is baseless. More so in WvWvW where there are too many people to even tell if you are facing off with a guardian or a warrior visually unless you look at their class symbol. I’m completely for just a toggle in settings to hide it seeing as there are a few people that actually like it…. frankly for me I’d rather not have to dye my armor to fit with this one graphic. I like using my shield, and worse if i use a focus or torch it completely hides them, which I am not cool with.

Fair enough. I see how Aegis can be a visual nuisance for yourself. That said, when the Aegis shield is first applied the effect is very noticeable since 70% of the time you’re looking at a single target. That’s usually when you’re 1v1ing or small skirmish 2v2 fights, the first initial visual queue is what’s helpful. For me at least.

I think removing the Aegis sfx completely would hurt more than help. There should be an option for you to hide the Aegis visual from yourself but not from everyone else.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in Guardian

vindictus sigilarum.9468

[quote=4948794;Saiyan.1704:]

in Guardian

Posted by: zangato.2809

zangato.2809

not everyone dislike it.

im gonna disagree if it got removed completely.

but im gonna agree if it got a on/off toggle.

so many QQ ppl just for this little thing ? cmon.

Blitzhartwright – 7780s

in Guardian

Posted by: Nerthus.3592

Nerthus.3592

Aegis shouldn’t be toggleble or removed, but it’s definetely should be reworked like Auras which looks great now.
Aegis should look the same – slightly visible aura.

(edited by Nerthus.3592)

in Guardian

Posted by: Arcaedus.7290

Arcaedus.7290

I wouldn’t be saying anything that hasn’t already been said but:

I believe ANet still leaves the aegis visual on under the reasoning that it’s a “visual cue” to an opponent. The thing is, the visual cue for most opponents is often the boon bar. Also, having a shorter animation (the transparent shield forming along character’s left arm + a lingering blue aegis on the arm for a few seconds ) is really enough of a cue to anyone who pays attention when fighting.

Imo they should change aegis such that the blue shield does not linger for more than a few seconds. Only good could come of this: people would be able to see our beautiful shields and less visual clutter!

in Guardian

Posted by: Metharius.8637

Metharius.8637

remove it ? no
make it so that the entire shield glow ? yes

will they do it ? maybe not, it may take too much work ;p

in Guardian

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

I agree, Im basically forced to use Chaos Shield skin so that aegis doesn’t look so bad on it. My Ghastly Grinning Shield skin cant be used on guardian without aegis spoiling the look.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in Guardian

Posted by: Mikau.6920

Mikau.6920

I just bought the bloodstone shield, but looks so ugly with Aegis that I regret.

I already posted in this topic before, but I still want some change.

Maybe a check box on the options? So if someone likes it, they can keep.

There are several cool looking skins that are killed by Aegis.

Sorry for my english.

in Guardian

Posted by: RabbitUp.8294

RabbitUp.8294

Another reason why Aetherized Shield is the best shield skin in the game
http://imgur.com/NnOrxfL

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Another reason why Aetherized Shield is the best shield skin in the game
http://imgur.com/NnOrxfL

:o that actually looks amazing . that effect :O

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in Guardian

Posted by: Pride.1734

Pride.1734

I think a bigger problem is the guardian f1 which completely covers the target in scaling blue flames, denying any kind of visual info for the full duration.

in Guardian

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Boon visual cues should only show in combat.

2cents

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in Guardian

Saiyan.1704

I just bought the bloodstone shield, but looks so ugly with Aegis that I regret.

I already posted in this topic before, but I still want some change.

Maybe a check box on the options? So if someone likes it, they can keep.

There are several cool looking skins that are killed by Aegis.

Never had an issue with the aegis skin until I bought the Bloodstone shield. Agree 100%.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in Guardian

Posted by: Alecu.4786

Alecu.4786

Yeah it would be really really awesome if we had the option to remove aegis! At least on our screen if not for everybody! Would it be hard to implement such a thing? I’m currently thinking about how they have a similar option with the Elementalist Fireball staff 1…

in Guardian

Saiyan.1704

It’s not within Anet’s technology to do so.

There’s not enough Devs to do the coding.

They’re too busy on the next nerf patch to Guardians.

This has only been asked numerous times, lets wait another year and see what happens.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in Guardian

Posted by: InsaneQR.7412

InsaneQR.7412

Hey so do others agree that they should add an option for people who play Guardians to not show the Aegis effect. It just always having it over my shield is so ugly.

Out of combat it could be invisible or less visible thats true but its important for competitive reasons.

Pale Raiders united.
9 Sylvari, 9 unique Builds.

in Guardian

Posted by: Coinhead.7591

Coinhead.7591

I like how it looks and would quit the game if it was removed : D

Attachments:

in Guardian

Saiyan.1704

I like how it looks and would quit the game if it was removed : D

We’re not asking for a removal, only a Self-Visual Toggle [OFF] [ON] switch.

For some shields like the Blood shield, it doesn’t look good visually. It’s noticeable on my 27" 1440 monitor.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld