Any recent comments from devs?

in Guardian

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

I heard there was a balance patch coming for season 3 of pvp, but no word on what they planned to do about guardians. Has anyone by any chance heard any dev comment on the state of the class and where they plan to take it? Or what they think might be the problem with the class?

I really like guard. It’s my main, but lately i find that i’m not playing it much because while it’s the 4th highest DPS in pve (the light field on the hammer auto is kind of a drawback), the utility it offers a raid is very limited, and in pvp it feels like i have to try twice as hard as anyone else to win.

in Guardian

Posted by: King Cephalopod.7942

King Cephalopod.7942

It’s just going to be a minor mid-quarter tweak like they’ve been doing. No long preview notes because it’s unlikely to be anything big. Most likely a shave here and a polish there.

A little savagery now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Don’t cry, Signet of Mercy. Others may forget you, but I will always remember.
Our deficiencies may be overcome by practice and self-discipline.

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

We are giving you some quality updates :

Decreased cd of Save yourselves to 38 sec.
Decreased cd of Bane signet to 22 sec.
Decreased cd of Signet of mercy to 100 sec.
Decreased cd of Sanctuary to 75 sec.

Enjoy.

in Guardian

Posted by: Nero.8047

Nero.8047

Enjoy.

Although miniscule I’ve reached the point where my expectations are so low I would honestly rejoice to see even these minor reductions in CD on a few skills again.

• No, it doesn’t “fix” the Guardian.
  • No, it doesn’t make the skills in question meta.
  • Yes, I’d totally be happy to see at least a positive note for Guardians.

P.S. I still fear a total nerf to DH in all game modes by making the traps NOT trigger if enemies are on them already.
Illustration:

1. You fight an enemy in melee range.
  2. You use a trap.
  3. Nothing happens and your enemy leaves the trap.
  4. Enemy returns to you in melee range, stepping back onto the trap.
  5. The trap triggers.

This would demolish any bursting capabilities on the DH and give players a good 10 seconds to scan the battlefield for the following checklist:

• Am I in combat? [Y/N]
  • Is there a Dragonhunter to be seen anywhere? [Y/N]
  • Are there obviously spotted blue glowing Dragonhunter traps placed anywhere? [Y/N]
  • Can I resist the urge to step on them? [Y/N]

After this nerf there’d be more complaints and we’d get another damage nerf + radius decrease + extra activation time (making Dragonhunters easily interrupted during the casting time as a fun throwback to GW1) and to finish it off they’d double the recharges to make the traps more like a “trump card”.

Paragon of the Seraphim Order [Ankh]
a small, casual Guild with a play as you want style.

(edited by Nero.8047)

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Wonder if they are reducing some guardian skill CD because some meta build from another class is gona recieve a very good boost ….

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in Guardian

King Cephalopod.7942

Inb4 hammer damage nerf because “We noticed DH has had too strong a presence in PvE, specifically raids. To compensate we’re slightly buffing the damage of revenant sword and druid staff.”

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

Inb4 hammer damage nerf because “We noticed DH has had too strong a presence in PvE, specifically raids. To compensate we’re slightly buffing the damage of revenant sword and druid staff.”

After we gathered up Guardian/DH strong and weak points we are also balancing slightly some of guardian weapons such as:
-Sword skills cd increase by 20% and decreasing dmg by 30% cause Guardian/DH overperforming in those areas such as rooting themself. That seems too OP.
- Hammer seems too op too, cause symbol dmg is too high plus increasing cd of banish because it does outperform autoattack and symbol dmg so you can’t have 2 good things without consequence.
- Mace autoattacks do not heal anymore cause Guardians/DH heals outperform all other classes especially with meditation 2k heal. And we are removing symbol regeneration cause it gives Guardian/DH strong advantage when rooting himself with sword 3# skill combo under damaging light field.
- Scepter autoattack needs slight adjustment by increasing attack rate to 1 sec so players can have a chance to escape from Guardian/DH strong bursts.

And aditionally
-buffing Thief sword cause it’s autoattack does less dmg than Backstab and thats not right.
-buffing Druid staff attacks cause druid have already good survivability but need to buff attacks by 50%
- buffing Necro Staff too by 50% ti give necros better kill options against classes like Guardians
- buffing Warriors F skills by 30 % because Guardians have to many block and aegis

And finally we are increasing Guardian F skill cooldowns to 30/80/120 because Guardian outperform all classes that have blocks and that gives them great advantage in pvp/wvw respectively.

in Guardian

Posted by: Jack Skywalker.5674

Jack Skywalker.5674

Enjoy.

Although miniscule I’ve reached the point where my expectations are so low I would honestly rejoice to see even these minor reductions in CD on a few skills again.

• No, it doesn’t “fix” the Guardian.
  • No, it doesn’t make the skills in question meta.
  • Yes, I’d totally be happy to see at least a positive note for Guardians.

P.S. I still fear a total nerf to DH in all game modes by making the traps NOT trigger if enemies are on them already.
Illustration:

1. You fight an enemy in melee range.
  2. You use a trap.
  3. Nothing happens and your enemy leaves the trap.
  4. Enemy returns to you in melee range, stepping back onto the trap.
  5. The trap triggers.

This would demolish any bursting capabilities on the DH and give players a good 10 seconds to scan the battlefield for the following checklist:

• Am I in combat? [Y/N]
  • Are there obviously spotted blue glowing Dragonhunter traps placed anywhere? [Y/N]

After this nerf there’d be more complaints and we’d get another damage nerf + radius decrease + extra activation time (making Dragonhunters easily interrupted during the casting time as a fun throwback to GW1) and to finish it off they’d double the recharges to make the traps more like a “trump card”.

That would or could also hurt necromancer staff skills since they pretty much enjoy the same kind of benefit.

in Guardian

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

• Am I in combat? [Y/N]

Please save me

Fishsticks

in Guardian

Posted by: TheBravery.9615

TheBravery.9615

Here’s a photo of Karl hard at work at Arenanet HQ

Attachments:

in Guardian

King Cephalopod.7942

http://imgur.com/gallery/M4ZScZa

Off topic (brought to mind from above post) Karl really needs to practice speaking while on camera e.g. Guild Chat. Particularly there was the one GC when discussing the first wave of warrior buffs since HoT (rifle changes) where he struggled to find the Crack Shot trait for a solid two minutes and they had to switch camera focus, probably so somebody could point it out.
Given his performance on GC in general, I’d be willing to attribute it to nerves and flustering which falls on the optimistic end of things. He’s a dev, not a presenter/PR, I know that struggle, whatever. But they chose him to present it. Problem is given the state of Daredevil, Dragonhunter, and Berserker on HoT launch people I know were more than willing to assume the pessimistic end of things that he simply didn’t know what he was doing, or much anything about the classes he was in charge of. Not a good look, that could be clarified by practice in public speaking.

But then again, reading the DH blurb on the HoT website even seems confused. It looks to be written to try to justify the design decisions rather than describe a cool new function.

in Guardian

Posted by: TheBravery.9615

TheBravery.9615

Off topic (brought to mind from above post) Karl really needs to practice speaking while on camera e.g. Guild Chat. Particularly there was the one GC when discussing the first wave of warrior buffs since HoT (rifle changes) where he struggled to find the Crack Shot trait for a solid two minutes and they had to switch camera focus, probably so somebody could point it out.
Given his performance on GC in general, I’d be willing to attribute it to nerves and flustering which falls on the optimistic end of things. He’s a dev, not a presenter/PR, I know that struggle, whatever. But they chose him to present it. Problem is given the state of Daredevil, Dragonhunter, and Berserker on HoT launch people I know were more than willing to assume the pessimistic end of things that he simply didn’t know what he was doing, or much anything about the classes he was in charge of. Not a good look, that could be clarified by practice in public speaking.

But then again, reading the DH blurb on the HoT website even seems confused. It looks to be written to try to justify the design decisions rather than describe a cool new function.

Regardless of presentation ability, it’s all just lip-service. If what he says isn’t reflected in the work he’s performed, then I’m going to stay pessimistic.

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

There was a vid quite a while back (forget when) that had Karl talking about guardians.

He kept mentioning other classes skills saying they were guardian skills.

No amount of “Shyness” can explain this, the man obviously has no idea WTF he is doing.

in Guardian

Posted by: Yannir.4132

Yannir.4132

You do know that traps are invisible to enemies?

Realistically, we could get 2 or 3 small changes to Guard. If we get hopeful, unrooting True Shot is among those as well as making sword #3 not a projectile and unrooting it as well.

Yannir for males. (guard,thief,war,ele)
Sonya for females. (necro,rev,ranger,mes,engi)
All classes lvl 80.

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Enjoy.

There is some wisdom here. Despite how much people mock the devs for the ‘good spot’, in the eyes of the devs, Guardian position in balance seems to be on target. That means we shouldn’t be expecting a whole lot of cool or exciting fixes for spirit weapons or anything like that.

There was a vid quite a while back (forget when) that had Karl talking about guardians.

No amount of “Shyness” can explain this, the man obviously has no idea WTF he is doing.

Not to defend them, but these guys aren’t trained actors or speak in front of cameras every day so it can be unnerving. Speaking in the spotlight does this to people. I’ve been playing Guardian for over three years … I don’t remember the names of the skills either; Consecration bubble-thing, Mace auto part 3 … these guys work with LOTS of skill names, etc…

On the other hand .. he could have some notes ready

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Guardian

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

The problem with Guardians, through my eyes, is that they’re so far behind the 8 ball in terms of abilities that they’d have to nerf all other classes/elites just to get on the DH level.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

The problem with Guardians, through my eyes, is that they’re so far behind the 8 ball in terms of abilities that they’d have to nerf all other classes/elites just to get on the DH level.

Guardians are actually very well balanced when figthing other guards

JK asside, it is the other classes that Anet want to be strong, but they dont know how to put guardian well balanced, strong against none, weak against none, they prefer something like strong against none, weak against many, due Anet keep buffing they prefered game style gimmick meta.

A game that has less viable builds after class expansion compared when the game started and the game get more imbalanced, it is more than a shame momment for any game dev….

^excluding the horrible pve.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in Guardian

Posted by: Xhyros.1340

Xhyros.1340

Enjoy.

That would not surprise me. They keep decreasing the cd of Bane Signet to the point where it shares cooldowns with Signet of Wrath, its completely inferior alternative. Bane Signet = 3s knockdown on 30s cooldown
Signet of Wrath = 3s immobilize on 30s cooldown
Condition damage is inferior to Power.
How does this make any sense. They need to lower Signet of Wrath down to 15 seconds, that would be pretty sweet.

in Guardian

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

ITT: I work at arenanet so I know exactly why i have a bad opinion.

Fishsticks

in Guardian

Posted by: Arcaedus.7290

Arcaedus.7290

From a pvp/WvW perspective:
DH has quite a slew of problems, but I honestly don’t think we’re that far off from balance. Over the past 3 weeks I’ve been learning to appreciate the trueshot nerf and am only disappointed by the fact that other OP skills/traits from other classes weren’t also nerfed. In terms of damage I think the best/most effective builds are in a great spot. If they would fix spirit weapons, signets and about 20% of our traits we’d be in an excellent spot. From my experience:

- We have a very solid 1v1. DH isn’t #1,but we’re up there. An intermediate player with a bit of skill and practice can go toe to toe with just about any other person on any other class of equal skill level.
- DH still has pretty decent overall damage. Our burst capabilities got nerfed, but we still have excellent dps in pvp.
- We have decent area denial. We also have some of the best on-demand CC when compared to other classes.
- Fair sustain. It’s not fantastic but it would be in a good spot if they nerfed certain other classes as they should have.

Arguably the biggest problem is that we play like bruisers yet don’t have the sustain that they normally do. In this sense, other classes surpass us in many fields and often times surpass us in all fields important to spvp (such as shiro/glint revs). I think this has more to do with toning down these other classes rather than buffing us though. It’s too bad that ANET is so slow in bringing about that change.

in Guardian

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

If our utility’s cool downs weren’t ridiculously high, I think we would be a lot stronger. Consecrations, meditations, shouts, etc. should have a 36 second CD max… Just look at other professions and their access to their needed utilitys

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

If our utility’s cool downs weren’t ridiculously high, I think we would be a lot stronger. Consecrations, meditations, shouts, etc. should have a 36 second CD max… Just look at other professions and their access to their needed utilitys

It would help but none of them would compete with meditations in PvP due to the self healing med’s do when combined with their trait monks focus.

That being said if they would do the following for shouts they could easily compete with meditations

1: Remove the CD reduction from pure of voice, in its place have it cause shouts to heal (more or less same scaling as warrior shout heal trait. Leave the condi conversion as is)

2: Reduce the base CD of retreat, stand your ground & hold the line to 20 seconds & save yourselves to 30 seconds _(If need be save yourselves boon up time can be reduced to 7-8 seconds to compensate for lower CD.)

After that shouts would be a great alternative to meditations that would provide AOE healing and self sustain (albeit at a lower self healing then meditations but with a more consistent condition clear with a wider array of boon application)

The other skill types would need similar effects if they were to ever really be considered as well due to the inherent low survivability of the guard without such traits.

in Guardian

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

Good idea Ragnar

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

in Guardian

King Cephalopod.7942

I have to disagree with making shouts heal, that just leaves warrior support builds in the dust. Problem seems that we have shouts for group condicleanse and self-sustain through AH, medis for personal condicleanse and self-sustain through monk’s focus, but then everything else is bleh, and creep made shouts fall off in pvp. The devs probably decided that since guard has healing on some weapons (which was passable at the time) not many utilities needed to have healing (bow of truth why tho?). And then they took tome of courage away and gave it to rangers as an elite spec, so the model doesn’t work anymore. Because signet of courage is kitten .

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

Enjoy.

There is some wisdom here. Despite how much people mock the devs for the ‘good spot’, in the eyes of the devs, Guardian position in balance seems to be on target. That means we shouldn’t be expecting a whole lot of cool or exciting fixes for spirit weapons or anything like that.

Not to defend them, but these guys aren’t trained actors or speak in front of cameras every day so it can be unnerving. Speaking in the spotlight does this to people. I’ve been playing Guardian for over three years … I don’t remember the names of the skills either; Consecration bubble-thing, Mace auto part 3 … these guys work with LOTS of skill names, etc…

On the other hand .. he could have some notes ready

That’s ALL he does. All.

I can present everything I do about my job on camera or as training to people with all the names of different titles, pages, icons and everything remembered because I know what I’m doing. Anything I’m unsure of I check before, it’s literally impossible for me to bumble around in a presentation the way Karl would while spending 2 minutes looking for the right icon.

There’s far less information in memorising the skills and traits for 3 Guild Wars 2 professions than the sort of daily tasks many people have to do.

I doubt you know his job and I doubt the only thing he does is talk in front of cameras and recite skills titles to look knowledgeable to people that associate skill titles to understanding a class. Frankly, the fact he didn’t know the skill titles shouldn’t make anyone conclude he doesn’t know what he’s doing. That’s just silly.

in Guardian

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

As someone who is heavily involved in software development, you better believe I’m making sure my team knows what they’re saying, how to articulate features of the application, camera or not.

It’s an embarrassment that he didn’t and he seems so heavily involved with class abilities. You’re giving him way too much credit and lenience, Obtena.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

I doubt you know his job and I doubt the only thing he does is talk in front of cameras and recite skills titles to look knowledgeable to people that associate skill titles to understanding a class. Frankly, the fact he didn’t know the skill titles shouldn’t make anyone conclude he doesn’t know what he’s doing. That’s just silly.

I guess you are unemployed or never worked in some company, cause anyone involved in something needs to know his stuff or eventually gets sacked cause he don’t do his job properly. Karl don’t even need to be good at playing this game(as we saw in some livestreams dev’s have some average or below average skills) but he need to balance this properly and objectively. If expansion fails = we know what happened to Colin, If balance fails = more players leave game (look at pvp and pro league streams – even pro league gamers mock on anet balance-look at last stream), eventually someone need to take blame. But this balance team have no clue. They need to put some fresh minds with better ideas or this balancing will destroy this game.

Yes, I’m completely unemployable because I understand that people can make mistakes naming some skill ingame when they are on camera if they aren’t used to being filmed ><

Again, the notion that the guy doesn’t know how to do his job because he forgot the name of a skill is just plain stupid.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Guardian

Posted by: Moderator

Hey everybody, we’re locking this thread as it has taken a non-constructive course.