Any useful tips about the Tomes?

in Guardian

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Hello there.

I guess my question pretty much is, have anyone any tips for the elite skill tomes?

Is Tome of Wrath only good for AoE purpose? Is it even worth to take in an 1vs1 situation?

Is Tome of Courage only good for healing your allies and buffing them? Is it worth to take it when you 1vs1 someone?

I really like those elite skills because they are rather unique, the animation and all (sad that it sometimes bugs up and you can’t see the book)

in Guardian

Posted by: OneManArmy.5617

OneManArmy.5617

In PvP, Tome of Courage is only good if you can acquire stability for 5-7seconds and even then,because the cast is so long,you or the ally you are trying to save may die before your cast goes off.

In PvE, usually before you get to cast it your ally will either be on a downstate or he would had healed himself back up,so i’m not sure how useful this is.

Tome of Wrath is useless both in PvP and PvE, as you can do the same damage if not more with your regular attacks.Why waste an elite skill?

Renewed Focus is awesome both in PvP and PvE, because it gives you 2-3seconds of immunity and resets all your virtues. Remember to click all your virtues if they haven’t been used yet before using Renewed Focus.
Virtues provide a lot of bonuses especially if you put at least 5 points into the Virtues line.They act as small shouts,so having renewed focus means you got double the casts available.

Surrender is not an option!

in Guardian

Posted by: Kasei.8726

Kasei.8726

Hello there.

I guess my question pretty much is, have anyone any tips for the elite skill tomes?

Is Tome of Wrath only good for AoE purpose? Is it even worth to take in an 1vs1 situation?

No, since it takes away your healing and utility skills. Tome of Wrath might as well be a big sign saying, “Hit me now! I’m defenseless!” Whenever I see a guardian pull it out, I just hit him with all a got since I know he can’t stop me until he puts it away.

Is Tome of Courage only good for healing your allies and buffing them? Is it worth to take it when you 1vs1 someone?

Tome of Courage can be awesome in 1v1 to save yourself, but I find Renewed Focus is better suited most of the time simply because I can use it more often. That’s not just because of its lower cooldown, it’s also much less situational.

Tomes are amazing if you have the support to use them.

in Guardian

Posted by: Tyber Valens.5148

Tyber Valens.5148

My tip is don’t use them. Very long cool downs for short duration of use and can’t use your utilities. As stated above Renewed Focus is the elite we have atm.

Templar Valens – Human – Guardian
Server: Maguuma

in Guardian

Posted by: wintermute.4096

wintermute.4096

Yea, tomes are usually not worth the hassle. Renewed focus is the best because it is the least bad of them.

That being said, elite skills are crap for most of the classes, there are some that stand out (warrior has the awesome signet, mesmer gets the 1v1 IWIN button), but for most of the classes I’d much rather have just another utility in it’s slot instead.

in Guardian

Posted by: kaffaljidhma.1496

kaffaljidhma.1496

Tome of wrath for meat truck bosses and for times when you absolutely need ranged, like lupicus or WvW keep attack if you keep your head clear and don’t need the 3s invulnerability. Tome of courage is absolutely the most useful in the jade sea fractal to totally negate the agony phase changes.

in Guardian

Posted by: Christos de Soufre.3802

Christos de Soufre.3802

I only use Tome of Wrath during keep or tower defenses/assaults where I’m comfortable in my allies’ abilities to hold the enemy at bay well enough for me to actually use it effectively. I’ll use Tome of Courage when in a large zerg for general support and gate spamming (to protect ram operators). It’s also helpful when trying to re-stabilize your zerg after an enemy portal bomb.

I run Courage pretty much exclusively in explorables and fractals. It’s simply more useful to the group than the other options. Neither tome is very useful in small group (2-3 people) or 1v1 combat though.

Chris “Dawnheart” Aerinoh — Revenant, Guardian — Blackgate