Are Guardians good for damage in WvW?

in Guardian

Posted by: Dippers.3269

Dippers.3269

Hello!

I’m currently deciding between a warrior ranged spec, or a guardian damage spec for WvW, group and roaming and was wondering if guardian is any good?

My guild composition atm is ranged and although I know warrior does good ranged damage, I really like the design of guardian, it seems more flashy.

So is it good for damage? and if so, can it do aoe damage from ranged or not?

Thanks for any answers!

in Guardian

Posted by: Brutaly.6257

Brutaly.6257

If 600 is ranged than we can do aoe damage with staff. Putting rather nice pressure on the opponents. Staff is imo not very suited for small groups or roaming.

At pure ranged we are really bad, our scepter is more or less a <600 range weapon tbh.

If its ranged you want i find my warrior to be superior in almost every aspect.

in Guardian

Posted by: Brutaly.6257

Brutaly.6257

Forgot to answer you, yes we are doing very well when i comes to damage in general.

in Guardian

Posted by: Stramatus.5219

Stramatus.5219

Hello!

I’m currently deciding between a warrior ranged spec, or a guardian damage spec for WvW, group and roaming and was wondering if guardian is any good?

My guild composition atm is ranged and although I know warrior does good ranged damage, I really like the design of guardian, it seems more flashy.

So is it good for damage? and if so, can it do aoe damage from ranged or not?

Thanks for any answers!

I enjoy my guardian in WvW using staff with a greatsword secondary weapon. The staff works well to provide pressure when fighting not to mention the skill #3 speed boost when wandering. In general, I don’t think that kind of guardian is necessarily outputing a whole lot of damage, but it definitely provides pressure and when spec’d appropriately, plenty of healing for you and your allies.

Sir Helvidius | Sir Beregond | Proud Ascalonian Humans
“Remember The Searing. We never forget, and never forgive.” – Family Motto

in Guardian

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

I’m probably speaking out of profession pride but Guardian is one of the key-professions for a good working WvW group.

in Guardian

Posted by: Cat Has Ducks.1982

Cat Has Ducks.1982

Lord Chuck I – Guardian
Chuck The Stampede – Engineer
[Lg] Agatha – Dragonbrand

in Guardian

Posted by: urieldhynne.2743

urieldhynne.2743

I’m probably speaking out of profession pride but Guardian is one of the key-professions for a good working WvW group.

This.

Go for support. You can bring a lot of heals, protection, stability, blinds, blocks, condition removal. For damage roll a warrior, more overall damage, without sacrifice too much like guardian and you dont rely on nuking or die.

in Guardian

Posted by: Sovereign.1093

Sovereign.1093

Yes.

15 characters.

[Salt] Heavy Loot Bag

Always Loyal

in Guardian

Posted by: K U T M.4539

K U T M.4539

This, basically.

Or you go healway and hit like a noodle.

Basic [BS] NSP/Mag

in Guardian

Posted by: Shadow.9641

Shadow.9641

Guards can do DMG properly, not as much as other professions and not really ranged, but in melee distance a guard could be a very good DD.

Big Heimdal
Pikeneer

in Guardian

Posted by: Rigel.3092

Rigel.3092

Roam build.
As such, DPS is a good thing.
Accordingly, I use this build when I roam with my Guardian.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgYhGde9Qmc

Zerg build, go more support and survivability. DPS will take care of itself within the mechanics of a zerg. Bags galore will still take place if tagging properly.

(edited by Rigel.3092)

in Guardian

Posted by: Maladon.5760

Maladon.5760

Yeah spec for group support then have a roaming build to go regulate newbs (read: Thieves) with. It’s how a lot of us guardians let off steam.

Malzarius – Guardian
Malzerius – Thief
Dark Covenant (SBI)

in Guardian

Posted by: Cat Has Ducks.1982

Cat Has Ducks.1982

Zerg build, go more support and survivability. DPS will take care of itself within the mechanics of a zerg. Bags galore will still take place if tagging properly.

All you need to know about building a “zerg Guardian”.

Lord Chuck I – Guardian
Chuck The Stampede – Engineer
[Lg] Agatha – Dragonbrand

in Guardian

urieldhynne.2743

This, basically.

Or you go healway and hit like a noodle.

I see all that roamers in live streaming in twitch tv and they die A LOT too. Almost 50/50.

in Guardian

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

you can spec for full support and still die a lot too. : )))

i mean, at the end of the day, it all depends on the situation. and your personal skill vs the personal skill of the players you’re playing against.

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in Guardian

urieldhynne.2743

Full support has more defensive skills and stats. A balanced build of damage/defense has a lot more defensive power than a full berserker one.

More defense = more control in the fight. Is not flip a coin in the air and see who nuke first.

Is not only about you make a mistake when you fight, a good enemy move can kill you too. If you have more defense you can absorb more mistakes/good enemy moves. And that give you more control in the fights.

In every game i play since ultima online i play with tanky dps teams. I cant rely on berserkers, they die a lot and they are the first being focused.

in Guardian

Posted by: AGGabriel.9230

AGGabriel.9230

Face a zerk warrior and tell me if you survive

in Guardian

urieldhynne.2743

Face a zerk warrior and tell me if you survive

There is 2 kind of players when you start a new pvp game. Who learn first how to not die, and who learn how to kill no matter what. The last one in some game are called feeders.

in Guardian

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

Guardians can do “ok” dps-wise.
They can’t match warriors (big burst and cc), elementalists (big damage), necros (conditions), mesmers (conditions and clones) or thieves (big burst and perma stealth).

The problem is, if you build for offense then you’re dead meat. Because guardians don’t have a lot of HP and if you build for damage you will most likely lose the ability to cleanse or heal through shouts.

In WvW I prefer to support my group through heals, cleanse and buffs because I know I’m never gonna be at the top when it comes to damage.

in Guardian

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

agreed being more defensive or “hybrid” gives you more room to sustain and dish out some nasty damage at the same time. and goign the DPS route doesn’t mean you have to go full glass cannon. rather, each player has to guage where they’re comfortable in MOST situations and give and take sustain vs damage. but i wouldn’t go as far as saying full support or more defensive will ALWAYS trump DPS builds. if you’re facing someone who knows how to handle tanky guards, though you may not die as fast, the fight can potentially drag out, also leaving more room for error. better defensive stats, i’ll agree with. but better defensive skills/utilities? i think not necessarily. Guardians have a multitude of blinds, blocks invulns boons and using yuor dodges right to negate a lot of damage. so ou can put those to good use to control the fight as well.

i like to play a variety of builds and with each build, your approach to each encounter will be different. : )) is all. sometimes even your play style, for example, playing way more aggressive can help control the fight, even if you may be lacking in defensive stats.

my DPS build uses meditations as well so you get plenty of healing through monk’s focus. and pretty good cleansing as well. of course, there will be times where i wish i’d been in a tankier shout build. and there’ll be times when i wish i had more DPS.

and ain’t gonna lie. i like seeing big numbers at times! depends on the mood lol

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in Guardian

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Ah, folks gotta stop thinking in terms of black and white. It’s not like if you don’t have full soldier you’re going to magically get one shot by everything. It’s not like you need full zerker to hurt people. This isn’t pve.

What is true is that due to the way the rallying system works, it is pointless to maximize damage, because in zerg fights the group that maintains the most uptime of its members will have the advantage. If you drop and rally several people then your work will have gone to waste. In addition nobody (almost nobody at least) just stands there and let you dps them like you can in pve, so put those spreadsheets away. Your dps in practice is lower than you think it is.

On the other hand, if you are able to down people faster, then you can cause the reverse effect, but defense comes first

This works in reverse the smaller groups you get as you will need to bring your own damage or you just won’t be able to kill anyone.

Of course this depends on what your group needs. Regardless of defense or offensive specs, there are a number of slot skills that provide support. It is far more important to carry stability than anything else, for example.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in Guardian

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

Dealing high damage isn’t a guardian’s issue so much as actually landing the hits that deal high damage is.

in Guardian

Posted by: Ezekiel.1985

Ezekiel.1985

If you’re looking for ranged damage between those choices, you will be much more satisfied with a ranged (non-rifle) warrior spec.