Arken's video updates!

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Posted by: Arken.3725

Arken.3725

Hey guys, just recently made another video on the introduction of the Dragonhunter. Let me know what you think, thank you.

Dragon Hunter Overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5FLIlx5MlA

Edit: New video for the recent changes including DH. Let me know what you guys think. Thank you.

Recent trait overhaul: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJDjCiardKQ

TL;DR:

-Zeal needs to be more symbol focused
-Traits that discourage virtue active use need to go(or implement a way to keep the passives after activating)
-Whirl Finishers need a rework or be removed due to lack of usefulness.
-Might-stacking on guards was never a thing but got nerfed anyway.
-Fall traits need an additional affect.
-Strength in Numbers needs adjustment, scaling for toughness doesn’t equal that of power.
-Weapon adjustments needed for their obviousness/difficulty to pull off.

(edited by Arken.3725)

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

True shot CD is fine because you need to stand in place and its easily dodgable. (its like banish, imobilize and MB skills on a hammer which everyone can dodge easy or Warriors rifle Kill shot which does ton of dmg and its easily dodgable).

But I agree on most of other things especially long CD on traps and virtues. I am affraid that all other classes will get better things (look at chronomancers 25% movement trait passive and almost perma slow and 100% crit rate).

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Arken.3725

I mean I understand the immobilization/cast time being considered for True Shot. It was just something that crossed my mind.

Edit: But as I’ve stated many times, I would LOVE a movement trait. I think Guardians will now be the only profession without a movement trait/signet once all of this goes live. One thing to note is that I think we’ll be too strong with a movement trait. Right now, we’re essentially thieves with teleporting burst without the disengage.

(edited by Arken.3725)

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Posted by: YuiRS.8129

YuiRS.8129

I mean I understand the immobilization/cast time being considered for True Shot. It was just something that crossed my mind.

Edit: But as I’ve stated many times, I would LOVE a movement trait. I think Guardians will now be the only profession without a movement trait/signet once all of this goes live. One thing to note is that I think we’ll be too strong with a movement trait. Right now, we’re essentially thieves with teleporting burst without the disengage.

Thieves get way more than just burst. They’re great for pinning down targets with Panic Strike, providing support with stealth, stripping crucial boons, hunting enemy DPS, because they have endless teleports, they always have interrupts at hand etc.

Even a GS Warrior with Warrior’s Sprint can’t match a Thief’s mobility, so Guard getting the +25% trait won’t suddenly turn them into better Thieves. Not to mention that Thieves don’t even have to sacrifice a trait point to get their unmatched speed.

And as for True Shot – it’s essentially like Mighty Blow. It’s the only attack on the weapon set that doesn’t get outhealed by Cele classes, so I think it’s fine. Rangers get a far more devastating attack on their LB and yeah, it’s on a 10s cooldown, but it also requires two dodges to completely avoid it, plus they get a really strong autoattack. I know you can’t compare skills directly and that Guards have a lot of their own unique tricks, but I don’t think that True Shot being semi-spammable is that big of a deal in a game full of blinds, blocks and evades.

(edited by YuiRS.8129)

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Arken.3725

If that’s the case, what line/tier do you guys think it should be placed in?

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Posted by: YuiRS.8129

YuiRS.8129

If that’s the case, what line/tier do you guys think it should be placed in?

I take Warrior as a baseline, where he has to sacrifice useful traits to grab Warrior’s Sprint, but not any crucial ones.

If we’re considering the new traits, I’d roll it into Wrathful Spirits. This way it would actually compete with Fiery Wrath.

A Zerker Dragon Hunter will have to take Zeal and Valor, if I’m correct, so putting it into some other line will severely cripple the build. However, if Guardian’s speed is a real concern and they don’t want to overdo it, maybe put it on Unscathed Contender and make it read “you have a 25% increased movement speed while under the effect of Aegis” in addition to what the trait already does. This way Guard will have his normal speed in-combat, but will be able to move around while roaming.

(edited by YuiRS.8129)

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Ragnarox.9601

Maybe in Virtues instead of Virtue of retribution minor trait or in Valor for Corageus return.

But anywhere. I will adapt.

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Arken.3725

Don’t think it would work very well with the current Unscathed Contender, aegis is scarce enough as it is for it to be meaningful.

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

I think getting rid of one of the first two minor traits in Valor in favor of a movement speed bonus would be optimal. We’re already pigeonholed into it with every build anyway, so we might as well get something that’s less kittenty than aegis at 50% HP and recharged VoC upon rally.

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Ragnarox.9601

Remove this :
Create a Symbol of Protection when you take falling damage. You take less damage when falling.

Damage Damage reduced: 50%

:D useless trait.

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Arken.3725

I do agree that the falling trait is pretty useless. Just don’t believe it makes sense in Honor. Courage would be pretty neat.

Edit: I think it would be too good as a minor. I am sticking to my guns on the on-revive/death traits about those changing.

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Posted by: Toxsa.2701

Toxsa.2701

I just watched the twitter…
This is insane…

Their base projectile speed is as fast as ranger because it becomes baseline.
The auto hits about the damage of the mid range LB 1 and auto track target like axe does. It will cause indefinite snares against 2 targets, which is very common. LB2 is a one shot damage, so it’s actually a SPIKE as compare to ranger’s damage over 2.5 seconds. When combine with correct gears and traits, it seems like it’d hit even more.
LB3 is freaking GROUND TARGET AOE, which RANGER HAS ALWAYS BEEN ASKING FOR AGES. Currently we have no way to deal with thief when they’re invisible as LB ranger because the lack of ground target skills. (barrage cd too long, too much opening when using it) LB4 is a very short CD AOE yet again, that LB ranger has very limited access to. LB5 is absolutely monster… It does big damage, cripple the foes, and trap them inside the ward for up to 5 targets at 1200 range, which is absolutely insane. This LB is a much better aoe, utility, control RANGE weapon ever created. It has so much use in WVW, and ranger will be COMPLETELY WORTHLESS when compare to Guardian LB in WvW.

This is an absolutely insane weapon in WVW, that Guardian will literally ROLE wvw in it with the LB… Ranger’s LB has ZERO chance to compete this AOE RANGE RING OF WARDING, as well kitten ticks burning AOE that hits so many targets, and spike damage LB2 that hits wider than piercing arrow, and bunch of projectile destroyer. Also they don’t hit so many times like ranger’s LB2 and 5, so they’re punished less from retaliation as compare to ranger.

The traps are also insanely powerful. 25 stacks aoe vulnerability + stealth is HUGE in PVP AND WVW. The damage itself is very good too, and guardian will hit their target a massive amount of damage because of vulnerability. It’ll destroy thieves in PVP too because it lasts so long and it reveals a large target of area. They also do so much damage that’d literally destroy a group of zerg with multiple blade traps placed because it hits infinite targets. Our traps does so little damage that enemies can mostly ignore it or cleanse it immediately. We also need to TRAIT for it for trap to be USABLE.

Time to move on to my Guardian and abandon my LB ranger zzz… I’m really disappointed in you Anet I thought Guardian’s LB suppose to be as a supportive LB, but instead it does big damage, large scales CC, and large AOE damage. We rangers will be getting a worthless staff that probably does as little damage as Guardian’s staff, so disappointed.

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Arken.3725

I’m hoping an adjustment to traps, some seem incredibly powerful (Jesus beams). I’m slowly convinced that LB is in a decent spot but we’ll see. I still hope that some traits get moved around(especially symbols) to make them useful outside of PvE.

Edit: I’m also unsure of Defender’s Dogma since it (like Purity of Body in Honor) really discourage you from using your virtues.

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Ragnarox.9601

wall of text… I’m really disappointed in you Anet I thought Guardian’s LB suppose to be as a supportive LB, but instead it does big damage, large scales CC, and large AOE damage. We rangers will be getting a worthless staff that probably does as little damage as Guardian’s staff, so disappointed.

Actually we have too much support, we needed LB with attacking options. (look at scepter – awful)
You will get staff with meditations so I dont see any valid points here.

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Toxsa.2701

wall of text… I’m really disappointed in you Anet I thought Guardian’s LB suppose to be as a supportive LB, but instead it does big damage, large scales CC, and large AOE damage. We rangers will be getting a worthless staff that probably does as little damage as Guardian’s staff, so disappointed.

Actually we have too much support, we needed LB with attacking options. (look at scepter – awful)

Let’s wait and see. It’d hit like wet noodle like Guardian’s staff, alot of skills that buff “pets”, and so on.

Yeah, let’s all shake hands and switch our weapons and utilities! Only that we rangers will always get the inferior version of it because Anet always use pet as an excuse for the balance.

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Ragnarox.9601

Let’s wait and see. It’d hit like wet noodle like Guardian’s staff, alot of skills that buff “pets”, and so on.

Yeah, let’s all shake hands and switch our weapons and utilities! Only that we rangers will always get the inferior version of it because Anet always use pet as an excuse for the balance.

Dont judge Druids until you see what it offers.

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Arken.3725

A wet noodle? Are you kidding me? You do realize staff has better burst potential than scepter. The auto does the SAME damage and never misses, can’t be losed, can LoS while using it and hits multiple targets. The orb does the same amount of damage as a smite condition that is spammable(never detonate it).

Staff is the one weapon I’ve ALWAYS used since release, it is amazing. However, I will be swapping it out for LB

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Toxsa.2701

A wet noodle? Are you kidding me? You do realize staff has better burst potential than scepter. The auto does the SAME damage and never misses, can’t be losed, can LoS while using it and hits multiple targets. The orb does the same amount of damage as a smite condition that is spammable(never detonate it).

Staff is the one weapon I’ve ALWAYS used since release, it is amazing. However, I will be swapping it out for LB

Staff good damage? Are you kidding me?
Staff is mainly used as a “tagging weapon” in WvW, as well as stacking might/swiftness , healing, and lay out wall that block enemies’ escape/entrance. It has never been a real dps weapon… If you think staff has good damage, maybe you’re playing it wrong. (Go see how much damage Ele’s AOE does and think it again) Sure it’s kinda useful when you times that wet noodle damage by 5 in large zerg fight, but still..
The main use of staff is probably hitting people behind the gate/obstacles…

(edited by Toxsa.2701)

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Arken.3725

You obviously don’t have a clue. Go to 59:20 minutes on this replay and watch the damage done to the Engineer from staff alone. A scepter can NEVER do this(since it misses most of the time anyway).

http://www.twitch.tv/bigheart_gamer/v/4803697 59:20 minute mark.

Edit: Keep watching as I rejoin the fight at mid and do the same to the Guardian. I don’t even have fire/air sigils slotted

(edited by Arken.3725)

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Toxsa.2701

You obviously don’t have a clue. Go to 59:20 minutes on this replay and watch the damage done to the Engineer from staff alone. A scepter can NEVER do this(since it misses most of the time anyway).

Still, post patch, most guardians will be swaping their staff to LB already since it has better damage, better range, better CC, better aoe damage, similar “tagging ability” and so on.

Staff does have advantage of stacking swiftness though.

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Arken.3725

Still, post patch, most guardians will be swaping their staff to LB already since it has better damage, better range, better CC, better aoe damage, similar “tagging ability” and so on.

Staff does have advantage of stacking swiftness though.

That’s why i’m switching out. I want a solid ranged weapon and while Staff does a decent job at mid-range, it doesn’t quite cut it.

Edit: I do apologize for coming off as an kitten . I just find it a little weird that so many take scepter when they know it’s a terrible weapon and only use it for the immobilize.

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

The main use of staff is as a might stacker, a CC weapon via line of warding, and most importantly as a heal via empower. WvW guardians don’t take it because it has good damage, but they take it because it makes up a large part of the healing in zergs alongside water blasts and the added damage of might before a push.

Personally, I’d say that tanky frontline guards would still opt for the hammer or gs + staff over LB.

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Posted by: Raif.9507

Raif.9507

Nice video… but all I could think while watching was this: Why does your game look so awesome.

And your headset mic was funny XD

Asharìa March – 80 Elementalist
Co-Guild Leader of Prime Defense on Sanctum of Rall – www.Primedefense.net

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Arken.3725

Nice video… but all I could think while watching was this: Why does your game look so awesome.

And your headset mic was funny XD

Sweetfx is to thank for it I believe. My headset was busted so I had to wear another set of headphones and then put the headset mic on my neck facing upwards.

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Posted by: Luthic.7290

Luthic.7290

I think the Dh seems really fun and cool. It opens up alot for both pve and pvp. I do think that a condi trapper gurdian would be just flat out worse then a power trapper. The bleed aspect of traps i think is much more useful/viable in a pve or zerging scene based on how far away you can set the trap.

As a condi guardian pvper myself, I just wanted to say that Defenders dogma is a really strong trait mainly because you never want to use your VoJ already. So basicly you just get free extra procs.

Rest of the line is really geared towards traps or bows, mainly bows. So for either power or condi builds, if you want to stick to a build you already have now. You are just going to pick up moderate utility skills. You mainly would go down this track just for the new justices even if u want to stay away from traps and bows.

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Arken.3725

I could definitely see Dogma being incredibly useful as you said for condi-guards due to the constant reset of VoJ’s passive but it just seems very weird to encourage you NOT to use it. Maybe i’m missing something.

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

True shot CD is fine because you need to stand in place and its easily dodgable.

it’s not fine, it’s too strong. it spends people’s dodges and evades while being nearly spammable and doing 4.2k damage with carrion stats. it’s better than rapid fire in every way and it’s going to be a nightmare playing against this.

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

True shot CD is fine because you need to stand in place and its easily dodgable.

it’s not fine, it’s too strong. it spends people’s dodges and evades while being nearly spammable and doing 4.2k damage with carrion stats. it’s better than rapid fire in every way and it’s going to be a nightmare playing against this.

It’s a nightmare fighting against anything with short-cooldown burst. Thieves, Mesmers…. Guardian hammer 2 and Scepter 2 and Sword 2…… wait….. there’s a pattern here….

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Ragnarox.9601

Its fine. It is crit. Carrion is P/V/cond. Learn to dodge then. Its easy detectable and dodgable like warriors charge killshot.

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Toxsa.2701

It’s a nightmare fighting against anything with short-cooldown burst. Thieves, Mesmers…. Guardian hammer 2 and Scepter 2 and Sword 2…… wait….. there’s a pattern here….

Umm, Hammer 2 is melee with short range, scepter 2 damage is meh unless target is not moving, sword 2 has very low damage, sword 3 has low accuracy and doesn’t pierce, focus 5 has very long CD.

True shot is a 4 cd skill that may potentially hit 6k+ with zerker gears, pierce, 1200 range, doesn’t affected much be retaliation, a true “burst” (channel skill like RF is NOT burst), and wide range. Those skills you mentioned don’t even come close, and it’s way better than RF. This is basically an on demand kill-shot with shorter cast time and shorter CD.

(edited by Toxsa.2701)

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

Umm, Hammer 2 is melee with short range, scepter 2 damage is meh unless target is not moving, sword 2 has very low damage, sword 3 has low accuracy and doesn’t pierce, focus 5 has very long CD.

True shot is a 4 cd skill that may potentially hit 6k+ with zerker gears, pierce, 1200 range, doesn’t affected much be retaliation, a true “burst” (channel skill like RF is NOT burst), and wide range. Those skills you mentioned don’t even come close, and it’s way better than RF. This is basically an on demand kill-shot with shorter cast time and shorter CD.

What I’m trying to get at is, most of the powerful abilities on your bar that don’t also have CC have short cooldowns. I think the cooldown for True Shot should be 7s but that is still pretty short so /shrug.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Posted by: Xaylin.1860

Xaylin.1860

I find it amusing that usually the benefits of the other supposedly weaker skills are left out. For example, I have seen you emphasizing True Shot not being affected by Retaliation several times. Guess what, RF on the other hand is not affected by Blind and Aegis. You can also move while channeling, got more chances to trigger crit effects and a significantly higher range. We will see situations where one or the other is more beneficial. But True Shot is not generally better than Rapid Fire. And the same can be said about all other Longbow skills.

I understand that Rangers feel like the DH is raining on their parade since many would have loved to get an on-hit-burst skill on their bows or something more supportive. But people really exaggerate when comparing those skills, especially True Shot to Rapid Fire, up to an unbearable level. The only thing I agree with is that the cooldown of True Shot probably should be increased by a some seconds – but not necessarily doubled.

(edited by Xaylin.1860)

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Arken.3725

I suggested the same thing earlier about doubling the cool down Xaylin. I honestly think that would be the only necessary change. Maybe a small CD reduction of the #5

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Posted by: Xaylin.1860

Xaylin.1860

I suggested the same thing earlier about doubling the cool down Xaylin. I honestly think that would be the only necessary change. Maybe a small CD reduction of the #5

I know. I’ve been a good boy and watched the video.

The cooldown on #5 indeed is insanely long. However, so is it’s power. Torn on that one.

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Arken.3725

50 seconds seems insanely long. What about 40?

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

I know. I’ve been a good boy and watched the video.

The cooldown on #5 indeed is insanely long. However, so is it’s power. Torn on that one.

I’d honestly much rather have the damage nerfed if that means we can have the cooldown lowered to compensate. If I use it, it’ll be for the CC, not the damage.

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Arken.3725

The #5? I can see that. I see it more as a form of CC than damage anyway(even though the spike is awesome).

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Posted by: Greek.4396

Greek.4396

I like this Arken Person. : 3

Server – Blackgate | Rev Main
Main Guild – oPP/RIOT/yumy(Booty Bakery)
IGN- Greek Kenpachi | Champion Ritualist

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Arken.3725

I like this Arken Person. : 3

Very kind. I was originally thinking more on True Shot and how I originally thought about a CD increase but now as I compare it to say Arcing Arrow, I don’t think it’s a good idea, especially if the cd’s are the same. I’m sort of leaning back at keeping it at 4 seconds due to the lack of mobility/strong finisher and AoE.

(edited by Arken.3725)

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Arken.3725

Bumping thread to give an update on the recent raits as well as a bit of DH from the last BWE in the OP. Thanks to Tarsius for assisting me in finding this one(I feel like an idiot not being able to do so).

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Posted by: x indigo x.6981

x indigo x.6981

Hey Arken .. just had a thought and wondering what you think of it. I watched the latest video and got intrigued by your opinoin of Dulled Senses (master in DH) .. It got me thinking about potential use of cripple.

First i wanna give my ideas about Symbolic Avenger. Symbolic Avenger as we all know is very subpar damage modifier when compared to other classes. It’s very positional and as you said it relies on the enemy screwing up and being stupid enough to stay in your symbols. My vision for it is to either buff the damage modifier to 20% OR leave it at 10% but make it so that the enemy would recieve 10% more damage from ANY player hitting him while he’s stupid enough to stay in the symbol (basically making it work like 10 stack of vulnerability that can’t be cleansed) I like the second option as it feels more like more a guardian role.

Having said that, how would you feel about making Symbolic Avenger make symbols apply Cripple on each pulse? Would it help make the trait more more attractive and useful ? I know it may be a choice for players because it’s the least bad of the three (depending on the weapon choice) but i think applying cripple would very much make it more attractive to me. Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Posted by: Tarsius.3170

Tarsius.3170

Thanks to Tarsius for assisting me in finding this one(I feel like an idiot not being able to do so).

It’s not you – blame the hopelessly broken forum search – I needed google-foo to find your posts ( site: and intitle: and date range queries )

Warhaft Tarsius – Asura Guardian ( Desolation ) – [NUKE]
Guardian FAQ · BUGS · HEALING

Arken's video updates!

in Guardian

Arken.3725

Google-foo for the win man. Regardless, thanks.

@Indigo: I think it would be a neat concept to have symbols apply cripple per pulse. I think i’d keep Symbolic Avenger as a damage bonus for the Guardian(I do like your idea though of spreading it to others as well, either would work honestly). I also believe that each tier of traits within Zeal SHOULD be symbol related since, well, the minors are. If someone wants to build something entirely around symbols, it should come from Zeal.

I think if Symbolic Avenger was both a 20% dmg bonus and applied cripple on pulse it would be a bit too powerful. However, having say a Master-tier trait that does the trick isn’t a bad idea at all since you’re sacrificing that slot for it to work.