Best use of my support build in WvW?

in Guardian

Posted by: TeamRaveGreen.6917

TeamRaveGreen.6917

Hi all -

I just got level 80 a couple days ago and have mainly been working on my class quest and crafting the last few days, but have decided that I want to start to take part in WvW.

I’m currently using this build for just about everything and so far I have been very happy with.

My question to all of you is how can I tweak this build (if needed) to help me out in WvW. I still want to be primarily “support” and am really not interested in using the scepter or staff.

Will Sanctuary and Tome of Courage be of any use to me out there? How about my traits?

Again, I haven’t done ANY WvW yet, so I’m hoping to get some tips from those of you that have!!

Thanks so much

:edit: wanted to say that I have been primarily focusing my gear around the “Cleric” type stuff.

Inzaghi – 80 Norn Guardian – 400 Jeweler/400 Weaponsmith
Zakuani – 80 Human Elementalist – 400 Tailoring/400 Cooking
South Lake Union Trolley [RTS], Jade Quarry

(edited by TeamRaveGreen.6917)

in Guardian

TeamRaveGreen.6917

Oh, thought of another related question – I am thinking the Mace/Focus is probably not a very good WvW weapon set?

But staying in the “support” role (without using staff or scepter – because I don’t like them) I don’t think I have too many other options that make sense?

in Guardian

Posted by: Daboris.6730

Daboris.6730

Mmm, I find myself needing the Scepter a lot. With the different amount of enemies you’ll encounter, from 1v1’s and beyond, as well as hitting people on top of castles; I found Scepter+(your choice) is a good idea for most times. I haven’t really experimented with the mace, but for WvW I don’t see it as useful as some other choices if you’re on the move. Focus is one of my favorites as the blind/regen and triple aegis seems way too OP for its own good. I also use Greatsword a lot, just because the BB and AoE damage on it is usually most useful.

As for builds, that’s really up to you. A support build can be useful but you’ll find it mostly comes from utilities, or that’s what I’ve found. I run a 0-30-20-20-0 for everything as of now; my crits give might to those around me and I have enough toughness and vitality to stay alive long enough to use my utilities.

Because of WvW’s nature, build seems less important. As a guardian, I wouldn’t suggest a power build, but that’s always an option too. Your build seems like it’d do fine as long as you match utilities to what you’re buffing.

“Those dolls they were making underground… Did you think they look like me?”
-Vivi

in Guardian

TeamRaveGreen.6917

Thanks Daboris – I’m not too stubborn that I won’t use the Scepter, I was just hoping that it wasn’t something that would make me significantly better in WvW because I really don’t like the feel of it or the staff.

Guess I really just need to get in there and see how things go.

in Guardian

Posted by: Lurko.7185

Lurko.7185

Any buffs with Retaliation is awesome. Reflection shields and Walls are great as well. I find to push the enemy zerg back. Tomb of Wrath works much better. However, if there is another guardian with you. Tomb of Courage / Wrath Combo is incredible for a push into enemy lines.

Wootuz
Guild Leader of Pak’Cafan [Darkhaven]
www.pakcafan.org

in Guardian

TeamRaveGreen.6917

Hadn’t thought about using Wrath, thanks for the idea. I don’t think I have unlocked it yet! hah

in Guardian

Posted by: Thrumdi.9216

Thrumdi.9216

Sanctuary has a long cooldown, but it actually has amazing utility. You can use it in the following circumstances.

1) Cast over downed ally to rez. Blocks projectiles of enemies trying to kill him, and its heal speeds up the rez.

2) Cast to block a control point or knock enemies out of it. Sanctuary actually ejects enemies out of the area it is cast in (unless they have Stability on). This is great, for example, if you are protecting a piece of siege and a stealthed thief shows up in the middle of it. Cast, and away he goes.

3) Cast when escaping from the enemy. Sanctuary both blocks movement and projectiles, so this makes it great to cast when running away from a zerg. (Sanctuary can be cast on the run).

Thrumdi, Captain of The Tarnished Coastguard

The ultimate GW2 troll.

in Guardian

TeamRaveGreen.6917

So I tried my build last night in WvW and unfortunately we were unorganized and out numbered so it was a little rough. I also tried some sPvP and did ok as well.

So overall I think the build will work out good, I just need some better gear (for WvW at least).

Also, I ended up using Scepter for WvW which helped out in times I couldn’t get into melee range.

Thanks for the suggestions all