Boon Duration Nerf

Boon Duration Nerf

in Guardian

Posted by: CAA.9653

CAA.9653

Nobody has brought this up, but with the new patch, it seems that boon duration will get nerfed. Every guardian knows that for max boon duration, you have 2 runes of monk, water, and traveler. Unless rune of water or traveler gets a lot of boon duration buff, a lot of guardians are getting nerfed.

While this does not matter a lot in PvE since it’s all about DPS, there are only a few good WvW builds for guardians, and a lot of them use this rune combinations.

I’m not too happy with the patch right now….

Guardian – Cameid, but my friends call me Cam

Boon Duration Nerf

in Guardian

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

They also said they are adding rune sets in compensation for stats that aren’t represented. So I’d wait on this particular issue.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

Boon Duration Nerf

in Guardian

Posted by: Periclitor.1892

Periclitor.1892

Welcome to GW2, for every day that passes by they thin the herd of Guardian players, there will to add fun or even fix our current ability’s are null. Soon, Guardians will be a past memory that future generation not only will ponder where the development went AWOL on us, precisely like nature did with the Dodo bird.

I am basically happy every time a patch is released and the name Guardian is still there. As we are clearly climbing on to a sinking ship targeted by a horde of tomahawk missiles.

Periclltor – Guardian
Account and Char® name could
be the same, Profanity!?

Boon Duration Nerf

in Guardian

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

Welcome to GW2, for every day that passes by they thin the herd of Guardian players, there will to add fun or even fix our current ability’s are null. Soon, Guardians will be a past memory that future generation not only will ponder where the development went AWOL on us, precisely like nature did with the Dodo bird.

I am basically happy every time a patch is released and the name Guardian is still there. As we are clearly climbing on to a sinking ship targeted by a horde of tomahawk missiles.

ZZZ If Guardian is going down, then ranger will be long dead.
Stop exaggerating…
Yeah I know people in this forum tend to assume their class is the worst and bleh bleh bleh because they never try any other classes, but saying guardian is no longer viable after this change is just plain ridiculous.

Boon Duration Nerf

in Guardian

Posted by: xFireize.6318

xFireize.6318

It’s not a nerf, but it’s something that they should have have designed in the first place. Runes are not supposed to be mix and match’d. 15% boon duration for (2) is simply too much.

Boon duration is not consistent, just like critical damage.

Bloo Foefire [RAM]
Yak’s Bend
Why bother being a Guardian if you don’t guard anyone?

Boon Duration Nerf

in Guardian

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

It’s not a nerf, but it’s something that they should have have designed in the first place. Runes are not supposed to be mix and match’d. 15% boon duration for (2) is simply too much.

Runes were mixed in the first place because the set’s effects were absolutely atrocious. When we want efficiency we gotta play give or take.
I’d rather give up a complete rune set that garbage for my spec and take the two runes I need from that set and this set to max my boon duration.

See? Anet was too cautious of complete rune sets they became WAY underpowered. The next best thing was to mix and match to minimize your “losses” over not taking a full set.

Devona’s Rest

Boon Duration Nerf

in Guardian

xFireize.6318

Runes were mixed in the first place because the set’s effects were absolutely atrocious. When we want efficiency we gotta play give or take.
I’d rather give up a complete rune set that garbage for my spec and take the two runes I need from that set and this set to max my boon duration.

See? Anet was too cautious of complete rune sets they became WAY underpowered. The next best thing was to mix and match to minimize your “losses” over not taking a full set.

You don’t have to state the obvious.

Like I said, 15% boon duration is too much for second bonus. Other runes’ second bonuses only give 15%-20% duration to a single type of boon.

Why does Giver’s armor only have +1% boon duration per piece?

Why are those runes are nerfed in sPvP?

Why is there an anomaly on Rune of Sanctuary?

All because they designed those runes terribly. Then after they realized that players can mix n match runes to get up to +45% boon duration, they “balanced” other crap so they are now inconsistent; instead of actually fixing the runes. They probably did not want to deal with upset players who already got used to the mix n match runes. I’m glad now they have the balls to do it. Hopefully they’ll design something consistent this time.

Bloo Foefire [RAM]
Yak’s Bend

Boon Duration Nerf

in Guardian

blakdoxa.7520

An actual boon duration rune set would be the answer here.

Then players would have to make a decisive choice on whether to take a full boon duration set over another set or mix and match set.

Devona’s Rest

Boon Duration Nerf

in Guardian

Posted by: CAA.9653

CAA.9653

Then players would have to make a decisive choice on whether to take a full boon duration set over another set or mix and match set.

I agree. Fingers crossed!

Guardian – Cameid, but my friends call me Cam

Boon Duration Nerf

in Guardian

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

this forum tend to assume their class is the worst and bleh bleh bleh because they never try any other classes

Don’t you get tired of making baseless assumptions about other people?

Boon Duration Nerf

in Guardian

Posted by: Zach.3264

Zach.3264

this forum tend to assume their class is the worst and bleh bleh bleh because they never try any other classes

Don’t you get tired of making baseless assumptions about other people?

I’d say it’s pretty accurate though.

Boon Duration Nerf

in Guardian

Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

I think its kinda funny that Anet has came out and said they want us to use a full set of the same type of rune. I mean if they made it to where we had to have 6 for the full effect why didn’t they think at some point we would mix and match to get the bonuses we wanted just like we do with armor to get the look we want.

As for why this was such a huge deal to them I will never know. Unless someone there took it as a personal slight that we were not playing the game the way they intended it to be played. If they wanted us to only go one way with it, they should have only allowed us to only slot runes on the chest piece and had that one rune encompass the same power as the six together and be done with it.

I personally liked the idea of mix and matching runes. I felt that it allowed for a more deserve play style. That and given that some rune sets were next to useless to start with….

No, guardians are not the worst class out there by far. But I swear, if I hear that “in a good place” line again I will scream.

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

Boon Duration Nerf

in Guardian

Posted by: Lalangamena.3694

Lalangamena.3694

" in a good place"

who?

Boon Duration Nerf

in Guardian

Posted by: Buran.3796

Buran.3796

No, is not. I already have 2 armors with this 2×3 loadout, and none of them is extensively used in PvE or WvW, due for PvE you don’t need boon duration, and in WvW Soldier runes are usually better for raid gaming. So, is not like those rune combinations were too strong, too usefull, or unbalanced in any way. But was a viable option for some specific builds (i.e.: healway Guardians).

So after the next patch the effort I spent in getting those runes will be ruined, two of my full set armors will be useless, the amount of viable builds will be nefed (a collateral effect of diniminishing the available options) and you are talking about a hypotetical alternative (which can be viable or not, but in any case will not be available at 0 cost).

Sorry, I can’t understand how can someone defend ArenaNet for their decission of nerfing a underused and underpowered choice. Just makes no sense.

Boon Duration Nerf

in Guardian

blakdoxa.7520

No, is not. I already have 2 armors with this 2×3 loadout, and none of them is extensively used in PvE or WvW, due for PvE you don’t need boon duration, and in WvW Soldier runes are usually better for raid gaming. So, is not like those rune combinations were too strong, too usefull, or unbalanced in any way. But was a viable option for some specific builds (i.e.: healway Guardians).

So after the next patch the effort I spent in getting those runes will be ruined, two of my full set armors will be useless, the amount of viable builds will be nefed (a collateral effect of diniminishing the available options) and you are talking about a hypotetical alternative (which can be viable or not, but in any case will not be available at 0 cost).

Sorry, I can’t understand how can someone defend ArenaNet for their decission of nerfing a underused and underpowered choice. Just makes no sense.

There’s nothing in my post that shows that I support Anet reworking (destroying) mix and match sets over full sets. I always mix runes for either more boon duration or condition duration and would only use full sets for niche builds like infiltrator’s.

Anet created too many useless/niche sets probably out of fear of them becoming to strong. This resulted in the meta using like about 10 full sets and the rest mix and match. It’s pretty bad and with the changes I don’t see things getting much better.

Devona’s Rest

Boon Duration Nerf

in Guardian

Posted by: JakHammer.7094

JakHammer.7094

I believe The Reason that Sounds Good and The Real Reason is the technique being employed by Anet here.

The reason that sounds good is that they want to “encourage” the use of full sets and make the game more “approachable.”
The actual blog paragraph →
“We know that some builds rely on mixing and matching different runes to optimize a given stat, and we don’t want to stop players from doing that.” [Inserted comment by me – ROFL- if the 15% to 5% nerf on rune pairs is across the board, that is SOME encouragement, kind of like how 12" high speed bumps encourage slower speeds. End inserted comment.] “Rather than limiting build diversity, we simply want the PvE rune system to be as clear and approachable as possible for new players, so we’re making it easier to understand the benefits of sticking with a single rune set.”

The Real Reason is that they have clearly decided that current Rune set values permit abusive Over Powered mixed gearing, and they have a company policy of never simply admitting a mistake, but rather improving it away, whenever possible. The changes being implemented will address other issues too, and make their lives simpler going forward as far as game balance issues.

Evidence for this being The Real Reason is blatant – in PvP you will no longer be allowed to mix and match – period.
Again the exact blog paragraph →
“In order to make it simpler to understand for new players and easier to switch between builds, runes in PvP will now be a single slot you equip. Equipping a single rune will be the equivalent of equipping it to your whole armor set and it will provide your character with the same bonuses that you’d formerly receive with a full six-piece superior rune set.”

So the evidence is overwhelming, they want Complete, iron-handed control over this aspect of gearing.

Finally, one of the silliest statements I have seen in a long time was made in a post near the top of the thread. If what follows seems harsh, well it is a bit harsh. I hope it will only provoke deeper thought.

“Runes are not supposed to be mix and match’d.”

In response I must ask the following.

Could you please name all the 6 piece Minor Rune sets? Do you only power level and thus never try to outfit lower level alts with 6 Runes?

Could you please name all the 6 piece Major Rune sets? Do you only power level mid range alts and never give them 6 Runes?

As someone else pointed out do you just get really aesthetically offended at mixed armor sets? Does the thought that an apparently unmixed armor set might actually be Transmuted and thus have mixed stats cause you to lose sleep?

If the idea that Armor sets Can be mixed and matched does not bother you, then what koolaid did you consume that makes invisible gear necessarily homogenous, but only after you achieve Level 60?

Or is it that people who, in part, find their Joy in the Game comes from being as efficient as possible are not playing the “Right” way, and are thus mystically interfering with your Fun?

If that last is the case then I humbly apologize, but must sadly inform you and your fellow travellers that I will continue to explore all the boundaries in the build system, no matter how much they dumb it down.

Boon Duration Nerf

in Guardian

Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

Snip
“We know that some builds rely on mixing and matching different runes to optimize a given stat, and we don’t want to stop players from doing that.” [Inserted comment by me – ROFL- if the 15% to 5% nerf on rune pairs is across the board, that is SOME encouragement, kind of like how 12" high speed bumps encourage slower speeds. End inserted comment.] “Rather than limiting build diversity, we simply want the PvE rune system to be as clear and approachable as possible for new players, so we’re making it easier to understand the benefits of sticking with a single rune set.”

What bugs me most is that they can’t just be honest about the reasons for these changes.

The side effect of this that I haven’t really seen any one comment on is how this is going to to increase effectiveness of certain offense builds that rely on stuns. Either that or we are going to have to stack more Guardians in a group and rotate through our Stability, due to loss of boon duration. Might will hurt us, but it wont’ kill us like the loss of stability will. Either that or we get steam rolled by hammer trains and statics more then we previously have in zerg combat.

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

Boon Duration Nerf

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

If runes aren’t supposed to be mixed and matched … why does the rune concept have a design that allows mixing and matching? Assuming that runes shouldn’t be mixed and matched is a VERY poor assumption. The game design ENCOURAGES it.

I also think Anet’s reasoning ‘to make it easy’ is silly as well. Were runes that hard to figure out? I didn’t think so. I’m pleased they see the issue with the poor scaling for using all 6 runes. I am NOT pleased that they felt it necessary to also nerf some of the level 2/4 effects to drive players towards easier choices. I’m a big boy. If I can figure out runes and get some cool effects by mixing; I shouldn’t be penalized for it because some halfwit can’t figure out runes.

ON topic, Boon duration buffs are currently silly. Anet is pretty keen on making it very difficult to have 100% uptimes on certain effects (which is why I anticipate a nerf to hammer #1 at some point).

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Boon Duration Nerf

in Guardian

xFireize.6318

If runes aren’t supposed to be mixed and matched … why does the rune concept have a design that allows mixing and matching? Assuming that runes shouldn’t be mixed and matched is a VERY poor assumption. The game design ENCOURAGES it.

I also think Anet’s reasoning ‘to make it easy’ is silly as well. Were runes that hard to figure out? I didn’t think so. I’m pleased they see the issue with the poor scaling for using all 6 runes. I am NOT pleased that they felt it necessary to also nerf some of the level 2/4 effects to drive players towards easier choices. I’m a big boy. If I can figure out runes and get some cool effects by mixing; I shouldn’t be penalized for it because some halfwit can’t figure out runes.

ON topic, Boon duration buffs are currently silly. Anet is pretty keen on making it very difficult to have 100% uptimes on certain effects (which is why I anticipate a nerf to hammer #1 at some point).

It does allow mix n matching; however the idea is the more runes you stack, the more powerful effects you get. If they intended everything can be mix n match’d, why bother making the stack effect bonuses at all? If they did intend it, every rune would be similar to Rune of Divinity, where the 6 effect bonuses are equal. That rune is unique because it has non min-maxing attributes.

This only happens to 3 (4 if you count major Rune of Sanctuary, Anet “balanced” its superior version) runes. It’s a minor design flaw, so you can’t say the game design encourages it. It just so happens that the flaw can be used positively by players.

Now that a lot of people are attached to it, they get upset when Anet wants to fix the design.

Bloo Foefire [RAM]
Yak’s Bend

(edited by xFireize.6318)

Boon Duration Nerf

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

If they intended everything can be mix n match’d, why bother making the stack effect bonuses at all? If they did intend it, every rune would be similar to Rune of Divinity, where the 6 effect bonuses are equal. That rune is unique because it has non min-maxing attributes.

Not necessarily. By making stacking bonuses, you give non-halfwits the ability to choose if they want those stacking bonuses or mix/matching …. like what happens now. I think the boost to the higher tiers of runes was a good move because the stacking really wasn’t comparing to mixing. ON the other hand, nerfing the stacking bonus would simply relegate mixing to ’don’t mix unless you suck’ status.

From what I can see, how the runes are being dumbed down so the choice becomes obvious insults everyone’s intelligence.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Boon Duration Nerf

in Guardian

xFireize.6318

If they intended everything can be mix n match’d, why bother making the stack effect bonuses at all? If they did intend it, every rune would be similar to Rune of Divinity, where the 6 effect bonuses are equal. That rune is unique because it has non min-maxing attributes.

Not necessarily. By making stacking bonuses, you give non-halfwits the ability to choose if they want those stacking bonuses or mix/matching …. like what happens now. I think the boost to the higher tiers of runes was a good move because the stacking really wasn’t comparing to mixing. ON the other hand, nerfing the stacking bonus would simply relegate mixing to ’don’t mix unless you suck’ status.

From what I can see, how the runes are being dumbed down so the choice becomes obvious insults everyone’s intelligence.

Gee whiz.. Anet must have insulted your intelligence really bad huh? I’m sorry.

Players will realize it’s not the end of the world; just like the bugged PoV. It started with an Anet’s mistake. Then players got spoiled. Then there’s some angry mobs. Then everyone will move on. Meh.

Attachments:

Bloo Foefire [RAM]
Yak’s Bend

Boon Duration Nerf

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

I don’t think it’s end of the world but I don’t see a reason to placate the lowest common denominator either. Perhaps you don’t mind being told how to play because you can’t handle the stress of making gearing choices but if that’s the case, the change won’t incentive you to stack runes anyways.

This isn’t the same as bugged PoV. It’s a change that assumes we are all idiots because runes are so complex and we need Big Daddy Anet to hold our hand and tell us what to do.

Boon Duration Nerf

in Guardian

Posted by: styx.7294

styx.7294

I don’t think it’s end of the world but I don’t see a reason to placate the lowest common denominator either. Perhaps you don’t mind being told how to play because you can’t handle the stress of making gearing choices but if that’s the case, the change won’t incentive you to stack runes anyways.

This isn’t the same as bugged PoV. It’s a change that assumes we are all idiots because runes are so complex and we need Big Daddy Anet to hold our hand and tell us what to do.

Think you’re stretching. It’s probably just cleaner game design. There’s a certain flavour to putting 6 alike runes together for greater synergy as opposed to what do monks, water, and travelers have in common?

Gate of Madness

Boon Duration Nerf

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Think you’re stretching. It’s probably just cleaner game design. There’s a certain flavour to putting 6 alike runes together for greater synergy as opposed to what do monks, water, and travelers have in common?

If they are fixing that and creating several boon duration runes, im all for it also gives more diversity.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Boon Duration Nerf

in Guardian

xFireize.6318

The others here are giving feedback that they are upset, which is to me, very reasonable; but to be insulted? Seriously.. Don’t worry big boy, your intelligence is not at stake.

Stop relating the problem to intelligence LOL; it’s pathetic. Give a legitimate feedback maybe you’ll be heard; maybe even by Anet.. who knows. Like I said; it’s just 4 runes. It happens. It doesn’t take an intelligent person to mix-n-match those runes. It does not take one either to figure that those runes are anomalies compared to other runes.

Bloo Foefire [RAM]
Yak’s Bend

Boon Duration Nerf

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

I’m not sure what 4 runes you are referring to but all rune sets are getting revamped to make stacking the easy choice. I don’t need to stop relating the problem to intelligence because the whole premise that Anet states to make this change is to make it easier.

You’re right though. I can wait until mid April to complain this. If the rest of the runes follow suit from just the handful they gave examples of, I don’t think I will be alone.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Boon Duration Nerf

in Guardian

xFireize.6318

I’m not sure what 4 runes you are referring to but all rune sets are getting revamped to make stacking the easy choice. I don’t need to stop relating the problem to intelligence because the whole premise that Anet states to make this change is to make it easier.

You’re right though. I can wait until mid April to complain this. If the rest of the runes follow suit from just the handful they gave examples of, I don’t think I will be alone.

Good luck with your intelligence argument mid April. I hope there won’t be many people like you.

Attachments:

Bloo Foefire [RAM]
Yak’s Bend

Boon Duration Nerf

in Guardian

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

Why you would run anything other than travelers is beyond me…

sure maybe soldier for wvw, but travelers >> every rune

Boon Duration Nerf

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

Why you would run anything other than travelers is beyond me…

sure maybe soldier for wvw, but travelers >> every rune

Maybe you should be an Anet developer … making away every rune family irrelevant but one is the next step to telling us how to play after making stacking our obvious choice.