Burn D/H?

Burn D/H?

in Guardian

Posted by: InsidiousWaffle.7086

InsidiousWaffle.7086

Firstly, what is the standard(ish) amount of burn stacks that guardian usually applies?
(I actually don’t know what it is)

Anyways, I’m currently levveling my dragonhunter, and burn guard seems pretty viable. Running LB/scepter-torch, and it is working pretty well so far.

Because Of lack of funds, I’m running soldier gear with eagle runes, and food.

Here is the optimal build imo
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVEQNAT7flsAhmhY5QwSIQwGLBEl83H+rvVA8AvZWC2gTIA-TRiAABws/gGHBAmViBwDBIadDUcBAOV9HJVCKmyDCB8YNA-e

note that whenever I crit(on ICD) I gain zealots fire, which I can throw for a burn stack, and the throw again, which equates to 8 stacks, plus 1 stack from my f1, plus 6 from utilities, plus 2 from my LB4

This equals:
17 stacks of burning, for a total of 40,097 burning damage per burst. this isn’t even counting how burning stacks intensity(I couldn’t find a calculator that calculated burning damage)

What do you think?

Edit: The reason for taking longbow is for the 8k damage from longbow 4

(edited by InsidiousWaffle.7086)

Burn D/H?

in Guardian

Posted by: Cozza.2836

Cozza.2836

I’m running something similar to your build, actually. Again, due to lack of funds (relatively new player) after buying my carrion gear for burn guard, I am not in the position to buy a whole new set of gear. But I’ve found that I don’t have to, at least so far.

In PvP I have been performing very well, actually. Nothing has changed in that regard since burn guard, for me. I’ve been trying a couple of different builds using LB/Mace-Torch or Sword-Shield, and find I have good survivability and DPS either way (even if I lose the extra burn with sword-shield!)

Will be interesting to see what the new meta will be.

Burn D/H?

in Guardian

InsidiousWaffle.7086

yep
I like focus because its skill 2 hits many times, which means that you have more chances to crit, and proc zealots fire

Burn D/H?

in Guardian

Posted by: Asmodal.6489

Asmodal.6489

Firstly, what is the standard(ish) amount of burn stacks that guardian usually applies?
(I actually don’t know what it is)

Depends on sigils and weapon. just AA it will be around 2-4 stacks on most weapons if you have 75%+ condi duration. Burst burn is a whol different story.

For single target you are on the right track for mutiple targets you are going the wrong way. My burn build can stack up to 20 burns on 3-5 targets at once however they need enough HP to surivive long enough.

I dont get that build in some areas. First why Sentinel Earings? Signet of Wrath? Hounds of balthazar? UC? big game hunter? sigil of intelligence? a lot of these choices make no sense to me.

This equals:
17 stacks of burning, for a total of 40,097 burning damage per burst. this isn’t even counting how burning stacks intensity(I couldn’t find a calculator that calculated burning damage)

you have like zero cover conditions to make the 17 burn stacks stick. one cleanse and your burst combo is gone. on top you have no no condicleanse if you use PF offensively so for WvWvW this seems not working.

For open world your are incredibly tanky. but actually you would still do well with carrion/sinister mix.

I m not that convinced taht you use you full potential here to be honest.
stats and utilites aside this is more where you want to be:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVEQNAT7fn8cCNDhlDBedCEEhlAiSu87+03KAeg3MbIawJE-TxhAABUcFAgZ/hrV+dq6PSqEEgHCQ06GIFAELrA-e

does not solve the cleansing issue

Burn D/H?

in Guardian

InsidiousWaffle.7086

I should point out that this is a build for PvE, I havent tested it in PvP or WvW yet, but Most of it is still valid, and I inted to use it in those game modes once I finish HoT story

I dont get that build in some areas. First why Sentinel Earings? Signet of Wrath? Hounds of balthazar? UC? big game hunter? sigil of intelligence? a lot of these choices make no sense to me.

-Sentinel earrings because they add approx. 3k health and I wanted a little more vitality
-Signet of wrath increases burning damage
-Hounds open with a flame blast, which can hit for up to 4k each
- Unscathed contender is there because you will ideally be staying at range and kiting
- Intellegence gives me garunteed crits, which translates into me getting the zealots flame proc more often
- Big game hunter is in place because I find myself using spear of justice a whole lot, and 10% damage is a pretty good buff

you have like zero cover conditions to make the 17 burn stacks stick. one cleanse and your burst combo is gone. on top you have no no condicleanse if you use PF offensively so for WvWvW this seems not working.

This is a valid issue, I suppose that an easy solution is equipping sigils of hydromancy and geomancy on one of each weapon would be pretty ample, although I would have to replace Sigil of intelligence(which hurts, but that’s the point of scepter 2 anyways)
and also Sigil of fire, which is really just for a little more overall damage

Burn D/H?

in Guardian

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

For PvP, power DH has better performance in team fights as oppose to cele, carrion or sinisters. This mainly has to do with the amount of team cleanses being thrown around as well as classes in general, have some type of self-cleansing traits or utilities.

Burn block builds can perform better vs certain classes compared to its power counter part. As an example, dh burn builds can beat a reaper, war, ranger and other power dh guards 1v1 where a power dh build variant would perform a lot less in these 1v1 scenarios. Mostly due to them avoiding the traps all together. And/or you didn’t place traps on point previously for these classes to engage you first – you engaged each other with no trap placement previously. IMO, it’s why power DH can be strong in pvp. Previous trap placement on point, then placing more traps once they proc to deal huge aoe damages.

Now, that’s not to say burn guards wont see players who are all zerks/marauders and have 0 condi cleanses or team AoE cleanses. You’ll just have issues against certain good players like Scrapper or Mesmers 1v1; more importantly, feeling lackluster in mid skirmish fights because of the power creep burst power damages and cleanses vs your burst burn on block/utility damages and survivability.

If it’s soloQ, you can really run what ever build you like as. Just be aware of your build’s weaknesses, power and condi both.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

(edited by Saiyan.1704)

Burn D/H?

in Guardian

InsidiousWaffle.7086

I mean, I suppose that you are right, but also consider the primary perk of this build(in teamfights or solos):
It deals damage really kittening fast. Not many other classes can output 40k damage in 10 seconds, and few classes can take that. Also in group fights, you will have lots of cover condis being applied by allies to negate cleanse

Burn D/H?

in Guardian

Saiyan.1704

I mean, I suppose that you are right, but also consider the primary perk of this build(in teamfights or solos):
It deals damage really kittening fast. Not many other classes can output 40k damage in 10 seconds, and few classes can take that. Also in group fights, you will have lots of cover condis being applied by allies to negate cleanse

Not exactly true. The current power DH builds can dish out damages quicker on point than a burn guardian can. This is not taking previous trap placement into consideration. In fact, a DH power build can average 500k total damages each match. Even reach as high as 700k
(A guildy hit 1mil on power dh but he was playing against noobs >.>).

But your right, any high hitting ability can apply as much as 15 burn stacks from your F3 or Shelter alone and BBQ themselves. It’s just situational and you’ll likely wont pull it off in a team fight every time. Especially once people gets used to the meta. Right now a lot of players are unaware of condi guardians so you’ll have that to your advantage. For example, many dh guardians don’t run the Fortification trait so you’ll down almost any DH build 1v1, especially if you Shelter their procession blades

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

Burn D/H?

in Guardian

Asmodal.6489

-Sentinel earrings because they add approx. 3k health and I wanted a little more vitality

but they dont. they add 1.1k hp compared to ascended carrion or the dire option which in return would provide 220 condition damage …

-Signet of wrath increases burning damage

.. which is only 180. so basically you lost 1.100 hp got 40 condi damage more and a free utility slot.

-Hounds open with a flame blast, which can hit for up to 4k each

compared to your options this I find this rather weak on a hugh CD. it is a cool skill though.

- Unscathed contender is there because you will ideally be staying at range and kiting

but you got no power … +20% damage on 0 damage is not really an efficient trait choice. yes exaggurated but still. masters of consecrations would be a lot better for.

- Intellegence gives me garunteed crits, which translates into me getting the zealots flame proc more often

well if you would take right hand strength and fmw fro fury you find yourself at 66% crit chance. you do not need the sigil. the deleay on activation is minimal yes. you can do the double damage trick better but I find that not worth it. People do not hold still for that to work after it did the first time.

- Big game hunter is in place because I find myself using spear of justice a whole lot, and 10% damage is a pretty good buff

it really is not in you case. you lose the passiv activation of your F1 which you actually traited for in virtues. the 10% damage (30% with UC) on a build with 1300 power is nothing that puts preassure on anything. on top you are at a hugh disadvantage after 6 seconds dps wise. The only reason to use this is for the pull to drag the enemy twice through your PF to finish him.

This is a valid issue, I suppose that an easy solution is equipping sigils of hydromancy and geomancy on one of each weapon would be pretty ample, although I would have to replace Sigil of intelligence(which hurts, but that’s the point of scepter 2 anyways)
and also Sigil of fire, which is really just for a little more overall damage

if you use propper food you can achieve 95% burn without sigil of smoldering freein up a space there. you are misjudging sigil of fire here. you do not take that for the damage itself but for the activation of your burn aoes. see if you fight 5 targets the sigil proc causes 2stacks on all targets (best case scenario) that adds up to 15k damage. the sigil iteslf will only cause about 3000 damage each target, 4500 if each hit crits. so i would never give up that sigil of fire. the more targets you fight the stronger it gets. even fighting two targets the damage will be superior from burn procs than the sigil iteslf.

if you like the intelligence sigil stick with it. but teh smoldering needs to go if you keep runes of balthazar.

you can check out the new stats on armor that also gives condi duration. Could be really good.

(edited by Asmodal.6489)

Burn D/H?

in Guardian

InsidiousWaffle.7086

q-q
The build editor didn’t have vipers or mistrels or any of the new stat sets. However, This really shows me some faults in the build, and I appreciate your feedback. I have some work to do I guess

Burn D/H?

in Guardian

Posted by: nuaa.4962

nuaa.4962

I need to ask something about that optimal build, because few choices seem bad to me (Just wanna hear reason, since there could be a good one) and also hope you don´t mind long replies, because i ended up writing far more then i expected.

Lets start with traits. You radiance and virtues i agree with, since i run em the same way. But your dragonhunter line makes no sense to me
1: You invested so much into spear of justice passive part and want burning, yet you went for big game hunter, which deals out far less burning the passive would ever do. And the 10% modifier only active when you tethered a target and doens´t work for condition either.
Even so, i went to pvp and test how 100% burn duration would be (viper amulets help get the % up :P). Single target auto attack passive can keep 1 burn running with hitting 2 every now and then, while the tether can get up to 3 burning with every 4 every now then, this only last around 3 sec’s. But thing is this is without any additional hits you do that can proc the passive with AA, symbol and deflecting shot, i can actually do more burst burn damage then tether, and yes i didn´t count in the burn from symbol. And i haven´t even talked procession of blades being able to stack up 4 burn single target.
And if we come to anything with with 2 or more target, bows AA will proc passive even more(If they close enough, it can do a 3 stack solo). Now comes fun part, on big group with permeating wrath, symbol of energy can get to 6 stack alone, while procession of blades can go to some like 10 to 14 stack if 5 targets stand in it!
Ok i wrote more about that part then i expect and i even went to pvp to test things out. But I can´t see advantage if running big game hunter with that spec and that gear.

2: you skipped zealot’s aggression. If you really wanted a 10% modifier this is where you should get it. Even though if you going for that gear, the 100% modifier won´t do much and having a defensive option is never bad. But this is ok, though i can’t live without cripple anymore, it just helps so much in pvp and pve(Teragriff can´t even charge me anymore!). But the build you linked already has high health and toughness, so defensive option get even less usefull.

3: Soaring davastation, seems like weak in your build to. You got low power, have to tether for the last 10% damage modifier and you lose 6% damage from pure of sight, for going close ranged. Now if you take zealot’s aggression and add in dulled sense, you now get vulnerability that actually buff your condition damage, and on solo target that 3 vulnerability. While in AoE situation you can get up to 13 stack vulnerability with bow auto attack alone! (For me this is a hard choice here is i prefer piercing light, since i run traps). Also remeber cripple and vul will help cover you burning.

Fast about those utilities you choose.
Heal: I agree with shelter, since that in itself can do burning thanks to amplified wrath.

Utilitys: Judge and the fire ring, are also great choices for burn damage and also gives a you teleport and condition removal. overall those are good choice.
I can understand why you want the signet for passive, but you should take a look at procession of blades, this is maybe strongest AoE utility there is for burn build. The amount burning this can throw out in a group is insane. Honestly this trap by itself can make me hit 6000 burning damage on some groups (Used silverwaste middle lane last night when doing kudzu collection)

Elite: This one makes no sense to me either, yes i know it can throw out a tiny bit burning but the cooldown. 240 sec cooldown, when you got option like dragon maw, renewed focus and feel my wrath.
Dragon maw would give you control/CC with damage and damage buff off 300power and 300 condi for 10 sec. 75 sec cooldown, which means it will reset 3 times in same time hounds does 1 reset.
Renewed focus, actually can make big game hunter useful for burn build, since it gives you the passive back and gives you a strong defensive option. 90 sec cooldown, means you get to use 2½ times more then hounds
Feel my wrath: This is the pure damage option, and benefits the group. you and 4 others will attack faster and get fury, so doing more justice procs and in general more damage. This can be done 5 times in before hounds is back.

Your gear for PvE i feel is overkill in defensive stats and woulnd´t work with burn dragonhunter. We aren´t a pure condition build, we do need power in the build. For me that means the new viper stat is perfect for us, good power, condition damage, crit and condition duration. So can´t disagree much with weapon, though for now i am using the free viper´s bow i got from doing story.
Do you really feel you need that much health and toughness for PvE? I am running with celestial armor as only thing that gives vit and toughness, i have done all pve maps and story. But if you feel that it is needed then keep it, but remeber dragonhunter works better as a mixed power/condition build if you are going burning route for damage.

My personal goal for burning trap DH, is go vipers with celestial. Enough celestial to keep my hp as it is now. And for spots i can´t get vipers(looking for trinkets!) i will go with sinister. This gives me power, condition, crit, tiny bit crit damage and will take me even closer to 100% burn duration that also increase my cripples duration, which also opens up for use of other sigil and runes, since i get duration from my gear now.

This was justice passive heavy build i am using in PvE(i only get downed because i get greedy with traps or screw up):
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVEQNAT7fnsABlDhVdCekittendilAiSe77+03KAeg3MLBbwJE-TxhAABCcRAgZ/hrV+BpSQAeCAmq+T06GIEgi1A-e

Use same build in PvP, with only difference being i run celestial amulet and judge is changed to wall of reflection.

Burn D/H?

in Guardian

InsidiousWaffle.7086

-I chose big-game-hunter because I felt that it was the lesser of 2 evils(because I felt that none of the 3 really fit a condi build well)
-Same with soaring devastation, I could change to heavy light and dulled senses if I really wanted to
-I skipped out on zealots aggression because I wanted the defensive trait
-I took inner fire (skipping right hand aggression) because I wanted extra crit-chance
-I didnt take procession of blades because I dont like useing traps, and also getting that close in messes with my damage from unscathed contender

-As far as defensive overkill goes, I really like the tanky playstyle, and I usually have 22-3k health on my sustain. Really just personal preference on my part
-hounds of balthazaar because it takes some pressure off of me, as well as allowing me to do other things while still doing damage. to quote darkest dungeon: “Deadly is the weapon that cuts on it’s own”

Like I said before though, I am still learning about making builds, and obviouly I still need some work. Thanks for your help

Burn D/H?

in Guardian

Posted by: nuaa.4962

nuaa.4962

Honestly, i can agree with you about the 3 last trait. I ended up with heavy light because knocking away mobs that comes closehas helped me a few times. Otherwise i would most like be running the condi removal on block one.

I can understand wanting defensive stuff. So i can see idea in getting that over zealot’s- But you prefer ranged combat and don´t like traps. I am not seeing how this trait is gonna help you much, since the CC will still take effect and all you did was gain 1 aegis and a trap that might never do anything, since you prefer ranged. So you giving up a 10% modifier and cripple for a aegis every now and then on a gear set that has a lot health and vitality?

I know traps are not for everyone. I just wanted to show you the power of procession of blades(and greatsword whirling wrath) for burn builds.

Sorry for next part sounding a bit more harsh then i wanted it to be. But English is not my main language so not sure how to write it better, and it is just something you always should think of when making a build for pve.
This is very personal opinion and am of the opinion that people should play the way they find most fun. But tanking/bunker build do not have much use at all in PvE! You scaling a event up and do almost no damage at all. This doesn´t mean you should be going glass cannon meta, because people in downstate or death, are even worse then bunker/low damage.(not counting raids, since you do need some punching bags there from what i seen)
But let me end with this, having fun always comes first. Though for me failing a event because me, is never fun(i wiped to much on 1% in other mmo’s raiding!).

Burn D/H?

in Guardian

Posted by: SlayerSixx.5763

SlayerSixx.5763

Idk if its been mentioned yet, but an easy fix for cleansing issued would be to replace purification with shelter and take hunter’s fortification over big game hunter. Between timing shelter and shield of courage during multi hit attacks, you’ll rarely have cleanse issues.

Assume a burn guard gets the jump on you. You’re about to begin eating 4k ticks. He drops chains and smite. Don’t bother stun breaking out of it, just throw up shelter or even shield of courage if you want to immediately follow up on the offensive. The result would be the enemy cleansing all of his condi for you AND you’re now free to rek him.

Also, this works kittening amazingly vs condi mesmers and their many clones.

Burn D/H?

in Guardian

Posted by: ElPewPew.6784

ElPewPew.6784

if you use propper food you can achieve 95% burn without sigil of smoldering freein up a space there. you are misjudging sigil of fire here. you do not take that for the damage itself but for the activation of your burn aoes. see if you fight 5 targets the sigil proc causes 2stacks on all targets (best case scenario) that adds up to 15k damage. the sigil iteslf will only cause about 3000 damage each target, 4500 if each hit crits. so i would never give up that sigil of fire. the more targets you fight the stronger it gets. even fighting two targets the damage will be superior from burn procs than the sigil iteslf.

if you like the intelligence sigil stick with it. but teh smoldering needs to go if you keep runes of balthazar.

you can check out the new stats on armor that also gives condi duration. Could be really good.

OMG I did not know that Sigil of Fire procs burns and in multiple targets?

So if I proc the Sigil it procs the Virtue’s passive? And since I’m traited with the Grandmaster that makes it AOE this would mean it applies the number of stacks to all in the blast?

I’ve been playing with a Rampager DH during my time with the expansion and I’ve been having some sucess with it.

If I don’t wanna go full damage (Viper/Sinister) what pieces could I swap for some defensive stats? Rabid/Dire/Carrion?

Would Giver’s weapon help with the build?

Burn D/H?

in Guardian

Saiyan.1704

It depends how you’re wanting to play – what you’re trying to achieve.

Group aoe blob fights – traps and burns
If you’re constantly in group AoE blob battles then you have no choice but to have vita so you don’t get 1 shotted. As fun as zerk/sinisters/rampage are, I wouldn’t recommend it. I think a DH needs at least 15k health (build editor may be wrong in stat vs in game stats)

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQJATSnsABVdilDBedC8DhlEi6aZDgEQe5j+rPL/6vBE-TFDFABLq6ADHBgiVawoaAA8IAKUFCBuAAIpMYYVQSSJGfKBrZ/hAAIAO6RP6RP6Rbn7cn7cn7sUA+p3C-w

Stats
Carrion amulet alone doesn’t offer the same performance like Marauders have with traps and all that vita from Carrion gear isn’t needed for a trap build. (again I think build editor is wrong, I just added vita gear to reflect the healthpool.)

So the ballpark I was aming for is around 15k health, about 2k less than Marauders amulet in pvp. The health can be adjusted accordingly depending on personal preferences.

This build is a power burn burst utilizing Supreme Justice and Permeating Wrath. You’ll be doing respectable group burn damages with the bow as well as power damages so the build isn’t entirely a 1 trick poney.

Hammer is personal preference. I wanted to take advantage of CC and burst damages to the group.

Test of Faith will still hit pretty hard, while Procession of Blades will do even more damages in blob fights. Both utilizes power a bit more efficiently than pure condi stats.

Again, this is for burn builds who want to utilize burns and traps both. Feedback appreciated – yet to stress test the build.

Pure Burns – no traps
This is the only burn build that I like, though, I feel core guardian can perform better with virtues, valor and radiance in team fights.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQRArd8elsAhmhY5QwaIwPEL+D1V4eBfgc4f+tvVAUB1JA-TJhAwAW3fgzJBYcZAAPBAA

It’s a burn on block build that’s mainly good in small skirmish fights, even certain 1v1 fights but underperforms in blobs compared to power DH. It’s an easier build to play considering the passive playstyle of burns on block.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

(edited by Saiyan.1704)

Burn D/H?

in Guardian

InsidiousWaffle.7086

Burn D/H?

in Guardian

InsidiousWaffle.7086

Pure Burns – no traps
This is the only burn build that I like, though, I feel core guardian can perform better with virtues, valor and radiance in team fights.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQRArd8elsAhmhY5QwaIwPEL+D1V4eBfgc4f+tvVAUB1JA-TJhAwAW3fgzJBYcZAAPBAA

It’s a burn on block build that’s mainly good in small skirmish fights, even certain 1v1 fights but underperforms in blobs compared to power DH. It’s an easier build to play considering the passive playstyle of burns on block.

why didnt you take torch and the zealots flame trait? You are missing out on 8 stacks of burn…

(edited by InsidiousWaffle.7086)

Burn D/H?

in Guardian

Saiyan.1704

Pure Burns – no traps

why didnt you take torch and the zealots flame trait? You are missing out on 8 stacks of burn…

The Zealot’s Flame trait is indeed taken.

You can use Shield or Torch depending on personal preference.
I just prefer the Shield’s survivability and additional blocks. I like Sword#2 + Shield knockback combo to get a rez or push people out of PF for another burn stack.

Where are you getting 8 burn stacks? At best Torch#4 and the trait offers 6.

Edit
Oh you mean Torch#4 start and end effects. That 250 radius burn, unless used with sword#2, isn’t guaranteed to proc. Same for the start/end effects on Radiant Fire. If this was a guaranteed proc then i’d definitely use the torch. Right now I just like how the shield plays.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

(edited by Saiyan.1704)

Burn D/H?

in Guardian

Asmodal.6489

OMG I did not know that Sigil of Fire procs burns and in multiple targets?

So if I proc the Sigil it procs the Virtue’s passive? And since I’m traited with the Grandmaster that makes it AOE this would mean it applies the number of stacks to all in the blast?

I’ve been playing with a Rampager DH during my time with the expansion and I’ve been having some sucess with it.

If I don’t wanna go full damage (Viper/Sinister) what pieces could I swap for some defensive stats? Rabid/Dire/Carrion?

Would Giver’s weapon help with the build?

any attack you land except for spirit weapons counts twords the proccing passiv F1.
just to bes sure sigil of fire does not. But since the fire sigil needs a crit to trigger it needs a hit and the aoe can hit up to 5 targets. so in total 6 hits which can lead to 2 stacks of burn on each target best case sceanrio.

so the answer is yes.

If yu want to go for defensiv stats I would always stick with carrion. Dire is an okay chocie but you are actually becoming too tanky for mos encouters. WVWvW is a different issue of course.

Burn D/H?

in Guardian

Asmodal.6489

This is what I am using whle exploring HoT.

This build can take on large numbers of enemies. Dropping all traps and FMW on a group of 5+ will melt most stuf pretty quick. Normally I just pull all mobs in range and wait till they are on me. drop everything collect aegis and just watch things die.

dependingon the encounter I switch either virtues or honor for radiance and the shield for torch to get more single target dps.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNAT5ensABNdiddCGdCEEhlHiCLAagPQ+3L+lPr9iv7D-TFiAABAu/wMaGuW5HkKBB4JAE9BB0BQxFAoa1fIFAELrA-w