Burn guard vs traditional medi guard

in Guardian

Posted by: Nimrud.5642

Nimrud.5642

Hello,

I’ve taken a closer look at that burning build. At first, to my inexperienced eyes – it seems you dont need to blow all your defensive CDs (Shield of Wrath, Smite Condition) to do decent damage. So it may softens the ‘double-edged sword’ mechanic of the spec. Which was the reason I gave up playing medi guard in the first place. So do you think it is worth a comeback to try out the burning version or is it still the same problem with this build too?

Ty

enthusiastic noob

in Guardian

Posted by: Vikkela.7261

Vikkela.7261

What game mode?

9 Guardians later…

in Guardian

Nimrud.5642

What game mode?

Lol, sorry. Spvp it is.

enthusiastic noob

in Guardian

Posted by: Silv.9207

Silv.9207

For sPvP the burning guardian is good but nothing more. It’s damage can become insane, but only if the enemy don’t block/dodge/blind/clean/immune your skills and burn stacks.
Actually the meta is against conditions more than against direct damage why the past meta is still feeled by players like a current one and there’s in game both direct and condition damage builds that work very well.

Burn damage is very high but it’s highly countered by a really large amount of classes and builds. You can metlt down thiefs and engineers easy why they’re lack of condi clean skills (there’s only few builds for engi with enough condi clean skills to fight you) but all the other classes will make you cry to be killed (good players, I mean, because bad players will be dead in a second). For example, a good ele with diamond skin or a necromancer (expecially a necromancer) will never die against you why it’s build is more or less alway focused on counter condition damage, survive and deal damage better than what a condi guardian can do.

Actually the direct damage build inflict more damage and in a more “burst” way then it’s always the best choice for a high level fight why it’s lesser countered by actual specs than the condi one.

I really love the burn condition build and I play it but it’s more for skilled guardians that like to have fun with condition damage than for guardians that want to win.

in Guardian

Posted by: Aggrostemma.1703

Aggrostemma.1703

Silv is right!

Burn (or hybrid) guardian is a very viable choice for spvp now…. but only if you do not mind that you are overall a bit less effective than a standard meditation power build…

Guesstimation: it’s around 80% of the sheer damage output of a medi build but more survivability….

I still play my hammer/gs hybrid build in spvp and I enjoy it…. Is it suboptimal? Yes! Is it fun? YES!

#I no words have"

in Guardian

Nimrud.5642

Ty for the answers! They got my view clear.

The only question remaining: Are cele-ele and bunker guard the only two options for bruiser role now? (Hambow/Shoutbow gone, cele engie gone as far as I know… or I dont know what to make of these soldier/marauder engie builds.)

enthusiastic noob

in Guardian

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

I play Hybrid Medi guard in sPvP and i find when im joining an existing fight on point i i can do a lot of suprise damage which can help down a player very quickly as well as aoe burn on point.

As mentioned above its probably weaker than power medi guard but i enjoy playing the hybrid.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in Guardian

Posted by: Chille kasper.2946

Chille kasper.2946

I really like the Medi gaurd… But because of all the fast killing builds its becomming hard to play it.

in Guardian

Posted by: Amroth.2170

Amroth.2170

Burn guardian has a very high potential damage ceiling, but sadly its very easily countered as well. I had some luck with it post-patch but have since switched back to my old support build.