Burning Guardian build

Burning Guardian build

in Guardian

Posted by: snake.6734

snake.6734

Guys i need help with my build, i wanna create a guardian which has strong defense and strong offence while using fire. i am a sword user that likes using fire so i use sword/torch and greatsword and i always switch between then to refresh my weapon skills and keep on attacking. am more of a ‘in your face’ kind of fighter =P and i like the fact that i can attack multiple targets. I mainly do PvE, dungeons and WvW. I would like to keep my weapons i am using but i am open to all stats, as for the rest i am open to everything i wanna do much damage as possible and use fire attacks, i do not mind giving up bit of defense but would like decent amount of defense since guardian don’t have high mobility.

My build currently:
Weapon set 1 (Exotic)
Sword – Power, Precision, Critical Damage
Torch – Power, Precision, Critical Damage

Weapon set 2 (Exotic)
Greatsword – power, precision, critical damage

Armor (Exotic)
Power, precision, toughness
6 Superior Runes of Divinity

Accessories x2(Exotic)
Power, Precision, Toughness
Exquisite Emerald Jewel

Amulet (Exotic) (may change to acended)
Exquisite Emerald Jewel

Ring x2 (Exotic)
Exquisite Emerald Jewel

Back Item (Masterwork)
Power, Precision, Critical Damage
Exquisite Emerald Jewel

Traits
20 Zeal – II increases damage by 10 against burning foes, VII greatsword damage increae by 5%
20 Valor – II gain a 100% chance to burn attackers when blocking, V lose a condition every 10 seconds
30 Honor – I aegis give retaliation when it ends, II shouts recharge 20% faster, IX two handed weapons recharge 20% faster

Skills:
Signet of Resolve
Purge of Flames
Judge’s Intervention (must keep)
Save Yourselves
Hounds of Balthazar (i switch to Tomb of Courage during dungeon runs)

[CNG] Carnage of War (Guild Leader/Raid Leader)

(edited by snake.6734)

Burning Guardian build

in Guardian

Posted by: abelooi.9156

abelooi.9156

Your build has neither the consistent heals of AH nor the bursty heals of a meditation build. It is not a smart build. I’d consider a 10/30/30 meditation build instead. You can still keep everything as is, plus you get a +15% crit chance with sword/torch. Your JI also now heals. With this build you will also be able to ditch most of your knights trinkets in exchange of ascended zerkers.

Cheers.

Burning Guardian build

in Guardian

Posted by: Asmodal.6489

Asmodal.6489

abelooi is right – your build lacks synergy and is actually centered around greatsword with zero defensiv and a very low healthpool – i do not see a burn build here you just use things that burn.

your trait choice does not provide surviveability and your stats are also heading in the opposite direction. so you need to work on one or the other if you want more defense.

I’d say you have to make a choice here… crit or burn ?

why the hell do you trait off block burn with only aegis as a source for block?

Burning Guardian build

in Guardian

Posted by: Irena.1062

Irena.1062

Traits are not centered around burning. a 0/30/10/30/0 build would be better as Radience is what causes burning damage to deal more condition damage. Not maximizing on your type of damage is a bad idea. Idk why so many people use 1h sword when it’s not that great of a weapon. Mace would be better in 1h so that you could have both Mace/Torch and Greatsword so that you would have Defensive stance and Offensive stance and the ability to switch between the two.

Burning Guardian build

in Guardian

Posted by: LastShot.4762

LastShot.4762

Condition damage not necessarily good, because it doesn’t scale that well on burn. Unless OP’s whole purpose is to proc that 10% damage on burn foes, then increase duration from zeal is not a bad pick, although 15 radience(Renewed Justice) may work out better in some cases(not in dungeon speed run for sure).

Pure knight set + zerker weapon = good offense and defense setup, but the lack of constant regen is going to be a pain, things can get scary fast when you floating ~15k hp and got only one burst heal every 40sec, 3k+ armor won’t always save you.

I find the choice of Defender’s Flame and Superior Aria a bit questionable, but maybe I miss something.

Burning Guardian build

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Your build is a little all over the place and if the intent is that it is for burning, then why haven’t you focused on condition damage?

If you want to improve and get the most from your burning, you have to use carrion armor and trinkets as a baseline. That will give you the most condition damage stat, lots of vitality to take a beating and enough power to make your hits hurt. You can tweak it for more crit. You have to equip some coral trinkets over chryscola to do it and it will compromise your burning damage a bit. You have to find your sweet spot for damage balance between crit and burning vs. HP depending on your skill and playstyle. Check out my signature for what I consider an optimal burning build for PVE.

Mind you, burning is not good for PVP or dungeons.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Burning Guardian build

in Guardian

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

If you want reliable burning for yourself and everyone around you all the time, there are 2 main traits that are very important, and both of them are minor.

Precision line up to 15
Virtues line up to 5

VOJ recharges on each kill. If VOJ is available to use and you are in combat, spam it.

You will:
Spread extended AoE burning to all allies
Stack might AoE to all allies.

The rest of your traits are open. With your weapons I’d recommend applying vuln on blind, and enough to get at least one trait line to 30. with MF or AH you can be an excellent tank with your health pool alone. You don’t need to rely on crit chance at all. Anything to boost your condition damage is a plus.

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

Burning Guardian build

in Guardian

Posted by: Heinel.6548

Heinel.6548

Condition duration isn’t too useful for burning, especially if using sword, as every auto attack chain is 5 hits, enough for a justice proc. For pve, also take 30 virtues for permeating wrath. You’ll have continuous aoe burns. Take absolute justice if your main is greatsword.

Trait wise you could do 10/30/0/0/30 signet build for max DMG or 10/0/30/0/30 for meditation/ AH.

“… but I hate the idea ‘It may not make sense at first’.
I want it to make sense right away, then another sense later. Murkiness =/= quality "
- CCP Abraxis

Burning Guardian build

in Guardian

Posted by: ArtemisEntreri.4138

ArtemisEntreri.4138

Guardian / Warrior / Thief / Necromancer
Black Gate – Immortals of the Mist [IoM]

Burning Guardian build

in Guardian

snake.6734

Thanks for you suggestions guys like i said earlier am a sword user, greatsword being the main damage dealer. i tried out a shout build today with full knights didn’t work out for me, so i am gonna go back to the armor i was using for at first which was power, vitality, toughness with 6 divinity runes for amulet, accessories and ring i think am gonna go beserker (not sure what jewels yet), for traits having minimum of 10 in zeal to proc the 10% extra damage against burning foes and 5 in virtues so i can use all my virtues more often, everything else i am open to.

I would still like to keep judge’s intervention, and i do not mind giving up purge of flames, save yourselves seem to be pritty handy. with these in mind do you think you guys can come up with a burning build or a better burning build that i can try out but keeping the same weapons.

PS. this isn’t a condition build, this is to take advantage of burn to weaken enimies defense.

Burning Guardian build

in Guardian

Posted by: ArashiKai.2496

ArashiKai.2496

if all you are looking for is to utilize burns, then i would look towards Fiery Wrath (Zeal II) and/or Radiant Power (25 Radiance), giving you 10-20% extra damage to foes with burning on them. a triple meditation build is a good way to get lots of dps and still be very survivable, but your group support will be almost non-existent. another good combination of traits is 15 Radiance and 5 Virtues, allowing you to spam VoJ to your heart’s content, not to mention it has some synergy with Fiery Wrath.

To be perfectly honest though, burn builds on a guard are more of a go big or go home kind of deal; either invest everything in them, or nothing at all.

Fear not me, but the Tempest that I am!

Burning Guardian build

in Guardian

snake.6734

Ok guys i couldn’t get any sleep, so i decided to use the build calculator. for some stupid reason i can get the link every time i try google chrome crashes. so anyway this is what i came up with

Weapon set 1 (Exotic)
Greatsword – Berserker
(Input Sigil)

Weapon set 2 (Exotic)
Sword – Berserker
Torch – Berserker
(Input Sigil)

Armor (Exotic)
Power, Vitality, Toughness
6 Superior Rune of Divinity

Amulet (Acended)
Berserker/Berserker
(no defensive infusion yet)

Rings (Exotic)
Berserker x2
Beryl Jewel

Accessories (Exotic)
Valkyrie x2
Beryl Jewel

Backpiece (Masterwork)
Berserker
Beryl Jewel
Looking to upgrade this to Acended Soldier/Soldier

Skills
Signet of Resolve, Hold The Line, Save Yourselves, Judge’s Intervention, Renewed Focus

Traits
30 Valor – V Lose a condition ever 10 secs, VI 5% of toughness is given to precision, XI Appkying boons heals you

20 Honor – II Shouts Recharge 20% faster, XI Two handed weapon skills recharge 20% faster

5 Virtues – Applying boon for each virtue activated

For the last 15 points i am debating whether to put 10 Zeal – II increase damage by 10% against burning foes and 5 Radiance, or go 15 Radiance – II Signets recharge 20% faster.

fill in the gaps guys what do you think i should do?

I should add that i use this website to make this build
http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/guardian/

(edited by snake.6734)

Burning Guardian build

in Guardian

Irena.1062

That’s why it crashes, plus that site is hard on the eyes. I use This one.

http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#mcccMmzzMmgLNmmgLNm0axx0VMskVmb8kii7khT7khA7khT7khA7khT7kGL70V7ow470m

Burning Guardian build

in Guardian

snake.6734

That’s why it crashes, plus that site is hard on the eyes. I use This one.

http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#mcccMmzzMmgLNmmgLNm0axx0VMskVmb8kii7khT7khA7khT7khA7khT7kGL70V7ow470m

I’ve seen other people being able to post from the website i tried posting from

(edited by snake.6734)

Burning Guardian build

in Guardian

Posted by: ArtemisEntreri.4138

ArtemisEntreri.4138

Here is an alternative. If you don’t like shouts and want to stick with meditations then make the swap.

http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/guardian/?3.0|1.1c.h17|c.1c.h4.d.1c.h19|1c.71j.1c.71j.1c.71j.1c.71j.1c.71j.1c.71j|1n.67.1g.67.1g.67.1g.67.1n.67.1c.61|a2.p36.u26b.0.5|39.7|w.18.16.19.1i|e

But to answer your question I would suggest 15 radiance for the blind and better uptime on VoJ.

Guardian / Warrior / Thief / Necromancer
Black Gate – Immortals of the Mist [IoM]

Burning Guardian build

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

If you are adamant that you aren’t going to get gear that has condition damage to improve a burning build, then you should at least consider increased burning and condition duration runes to get the most out of effects like Zeal 10 if you want any advantage from burning at all.

Honestly, focusing on burning in any way with the build you presented would weaken it. I wouldn’t advise traiting Zeal 10 at all without Radiance 15 or significant duration increase. The damage increase you would get from that would be very reliant on your situation.

While it is true that you can still take advantage of burning with out increasing condition damage, you would be missing out. As someone already said, getting something worthwhile from burning on Guardian is an all or nothing deal.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Burning Guardian build

in Guardian

snake.6734

If you are adamant that you aren’t going to get gear that has condition damage to improve a burning build, then you should at least consider increased burning and condition duration runes to get the most out of effects like Zeal 10 if you want any advantage from burning at all.

Honestly, focusing on burning in any way with the build you presented would weaken it. I wouldn’t advise traiting Zeal 10 at all without Radiance 15 or significant duration increase. The damage increase you would get from that would be very reliant on your situation.

While it is true that you can still take advantage of burning with out increasing condition damage, you would be missing out. As someone already said, getting something worthwhile from burning on Guardian is an all or nothing deal.

its not a condition build, more rather using burn to weaken foes, but i do have few things i wanna try out before going damage which i don’t mind, i am a offensive guardian, i find it much more fun, i do have alts which i will be trying different roles, but for my main i wanna go offensive. can anyone give me a good build with pvt armor for damage

(edited by snake.6734)

Burning Guardian build

in Guardian

Irena.1062

I know a guy who uses full Carrion gear, and if Condition Damage is your only worry it works wonders. There are better armors overall however.

Burning Guardian build

in Guardian

Posted by: ArashiKai.2496

ArashiKai.2496

Mr. snake, now you just are not making any sense at all…….
Burning doesn’t “weaken” any defenses at all, but more bypasses them instead. At best, it can mitigate the effects of the regeneration boon. There are only 2 ways that burns should be mentioned for Guardians than want to revolve around them: 1) condition damage builds, and 2) traits that utilize burns/conditions like Fiery Wrath and Radiant Power. But as far as I know (and I know the Guardian pretty well), there are no traits/runes/sigils/skills the Guardian has that “weaken” an enemies defenses when applying burns, short of applying burns on certain effects (aegis popping, for example) and getting damage bonuses (Fiery Wrath).

to be more helpful in regard to what you want in your above build, I would go for the 15 in Radiance taking the Blind Exposure trait. This gets you as close to your goal as possible, making VoJ apply vulnerability when you activate it, which does lower enemies’ defenses. But understand, it’s not the burn that does the vulnerability, it’s the blind from Radience 5 (Justice is Blind).

Fear not me, but the Tempest that I am!

Burning Guardian build

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

its not a condition build, more rather using burn to weaken foes, but i do have few things i wanna try out before going damage which i don’t mind, i am a offensive guardian, i find it much more fun, i do have alts which i will be trying different roles, but for my main i wanna go offensive. can anyone give me a good build with pvt armor for damage

Not sure I completely understand. Burning is just a separate damage path that runs in parallel with your regular hits. Offhand, I don’t really think there is anything that enhances burning to weaken foes at all. It’s simply more damage. If you aren’t boosting with Condition Damage or it’s duration, it’s just your fundamental burning that every Guardian gets.

Burning Guardian build

in Guardian

Irena.1062

This is a good build for Burning and you May as well go 30 radience, you’ll want 25 radience for Radient Power, and Right-hand strength is good for a mace build. And 10 Zeal for Fiery Wrath comes to mind, along with 15 zeal for Symbolic Exposure. 20 valor to go with your high crit chance for more crit damage, as well as Defender’s Flame and Mace of Justice. This leaves 5 in Virtues.
This should provide high condition damage while not neglecting mace damage.