Can Guardians DPS?

Can Guardians DPS?

in Guardian

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

Im mostly an ele and mesmer player, but originally my to-be profession was guardians. I didnt go through with it because i couldnt do much (any) damage with them. Is there a way to be a DPS thread? Or are guardians pretty much tanks and out-lasters?

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

Can Guardians DPS?

in Guardian

Posted by: JJBigs.8456

JJBigs.8456

Theres a way to be a tank and DPS at the same time. I am incredibly tanky due to the use of some utilities + traits, also while allowing myself to wear some decent power/precision armor. Dont force yourself into trinity roles : DPS, Healer, Etc… Guardian is well rounded. You should DPS and support

Can Guardians DPS?

in Guardian

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

In PvP (in my limited experience with guard there) yes… Using all shouts and the 0/0/30/30/10 Build with zerkers amulet and power runes/sigils you can DPS and still be tanky… Now this does not mean that you will do both of those extremely well… They are opposite ends of the build spectrum… But it is a nice middle ground…

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

Can Guardians DPS?

in Guardian

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

In sPVP I’ve never had a problem with a guardian doing damage. I haven’t played it in awhile, but I used soldier’s ammy and Jewel along with a 30/20//0/0/20 build or something like that. I used a combination of spirit weapons for offense and consecrations for support, and used the greatsword as the main weapon. It was quite the powerhouse, and in melee range it could win the auto attack war against pretty much anything. It was fun to use in sPVP, since many fights devolved into me chasing around some fleeing enemy while using just the auto attack.

It made for great practice with enemy tracing on the trackpad.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

(edited by Blood Red Arachnid.2493)

Can Guardians DPS?

in Guardian

Posted by: Irena.1062

Irena.1062

They can if they’ve specced for it, although that’s a less used build. You will have less hp for speccing for dps not the end of the world but you will notice a difference.

Can Guardians DPS?

in Guardian

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

Given this class you will notice a huge difference… I think if they add no vitality to their build they are sitting just under 11k….

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

Can Guardians DPS?

in Guardian

Posted by: foofad.5162

foofad.5162

Yeah, they absolutely can. Do something like 10/30/0/30/0 or similar, with Right Handed Strength, Empowering Might and Pure of Voice. Use greatsword/sword and shield or sword and focus. For 1v1 use the sword, and for groups use the greatsword. Eat lifesteal food, sharpening stones, and run Blood sigils. Runes can be whatever, Lyssa, Eagle, Pack, Strength, it’s all good. Learn to dodge, and you’ll be good to go. Works well in PvE and WvW, though in the latter you may find yourself switching the sword for a scepter in sieges, as well as ranged fights in dungeons. Still, with Fury your crit is going to be about 100% with RHS.

With Shelter and Renewed Focus, it doesn’t even feel “glassy” because between 100% Vigor uptime, virtues, and your blocks, you really shouldn’t be taking that much damage.

Eilir Eirasdottir, Guardian, Tarnished Coast
Painbow.6059: Ignore what anyone else who doesn’t agree with me has said because its wrong.

Can Guardians DPS?

in Guardian

Posted by: JJBigs.8456

JJBigs.8456

Having Low HP Is a benefit, not a detriment. Would you guys rather try to heal 30k HP that drops with a pindrop? Or heal 12k that barley ticks, goes down slowly, doesnt take burst hits etc..

Id say with the guardians healing abilities, you would take the 12k pool. Something you can refill to maximum easily.

Can Guardians DPS?

in Guardian

Posted by: Thz.7569

Thz.7569

Guardians can do damage, but our stand alone damage isn’t so hot. When you add others to the mix giving us fury and lots of might, we can hit decent numbers, but they still aren’t very high.

The thing is, though, the damage is still good for what we offer in other areas and is definitely not so low that wanting to build dps is a bad idea. I personally prefer gearing my character for offense because defensive utility naturally comes with the class and I find that makes my character very well-rounded. To me this is enjoyable, but if dps is what you are most concerned with, stick to your mesmer.

Can Guardians DPS?

in Guardian

Posted by: BoomSeal.4058

BoomSeal.4058

Sword/Torch with something like this:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/guardian/Condiment-Build-Guardian-with-all-the-fix-ns/first#post1773170

If you run by yourself, pick a Summon Weapon utility skill or your race summon and then you have friends to give bonuses to.

torch #5 and sword #3 do a nice chunk of damage with high crit chance.

Can Guardians DPS?

in Guardian

Irena.1062

Indeed they can, even if they usually choose not to so they can provide more support.

Can Guardians DPS?

in Guardian

Posted by: yLoon.5289

yLoon.5289

12K AP
Level 54 Bear Rank

Can Guardians DPS?

in Guardian

Posted by: Indure.5410

Indure.5410

Having Low HP Is a benefit, not a detriment. Would you guys rather try to heal 30k HP that drops with a pindrop? Or heal 12k that barley ticks, goes down slowly, doesnt take burst hits etc..

Id say with the guardians healing abilities, you would take the 12k pool. Something you can refill to maximum easily.

This is a unfair choice, why can’t you have both? you can easily have ~20k health, 3k armor and a ridiculous amount of healing.

Can Guardians DPS?

in Guardian

Posted by: Indure.5410

Indure.5410

Im mostly an ele and mesmer player, but originally my to-be profession was guardians. I didnt go through with it because i couldnt do much (any) damage with them. Is there a way to be a DPS thread? Or are guardians pretty much tanks and out-lasters?

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/79899-the-ultimate-guardian-build/

This is a one hand sword DPS build for Guardian that for the most part is identical for the GS as well. There’s a great video on page 6 of it in use in a speed run. The comment a couple post above mine is accurate about a Guardian needing some of the DPS boons other classes give, but even without them they can put out incredibly high amounts of damage. In the vid the user has 25 might/25 vulnerability stacks and is putting out a constant 3.5k damage per sword attack with a 6.5K attack on 3rd chain attack.

Can Guardians DPS?

in Guardian

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

can they chase people? no point in doing damage if you cant finish the job…

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

Can Guardians DPS?

in Guardian

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

can they chase people? no point in doing damage if you cant finish the job…

DPS isn’t really used to refer to PvP situations where the effectiveness of moves vary. When we say DPS we’re usually referring to PvE constants where damage is consistently measurable and sustainable, and things can actually take a burst before dropping.

If you’re asking if guardians are good in PvP situations, that’s a different question entirely, although the answer is still yes, they will wreck your kitten even if you try to run.

Can Guardians DPS?

in Guardian

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

just to add some light, in PvP, i have seen enough videos AND experienced first hand from DPS Guards what they can do.

and if you’re dead, you won’t be running anywhere for anyone to chase anyways.

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

Can Guardians DPS?

in Guardian

Irena.1062

Indeed, guardians can chase people using skills like Chains of Light, and 1h sword’s #2 skill. Skills like this make it easy to finish the job if timed properly.

Can Guardians DPS?

in Guardian

Posted by: Danicco.3568

Danicco.3568

Highest DpS for Guardians: 20/30/0/0/10 + 10

If you want for dungeons and FOTM, pick the Scepter and Shield, Fiery Wrath, Scepter Power, Right Hand Strength, Unscathed Contender, and whatever else you want (I suggest 10 in Honor for Vigor and Shouts).

I think with this setup Guardians are probably one of the top if not the top DpS in the game… though it sucks to be ranged with the Scepter and you gotta work to keep Aegis up all the time.
Scepter will hit (almost) as hard hitting melee move, with a high rate of fire, but moves slow.