Can I get away with the marauder stats?

in Guardian

Posted by: Klowdy.3126

Klowdy.3126

As the title says, I would like to know how kitten i would be taking the marauder stats. I found a reddit post showing the difference in the 2 sets, which seemed to me marauder would win out other than absolute maxing.

https://m.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3qvhwg/marauder_stats_for_all_armor_slots/

The extra safety net of the health seems smart for me; I’m not the greatest, so a little forgiveness is nice sometimes. You do lose out on a small chunk of power and some crit damage, but you actually gain crit chance.

Anyway, I was just wondering how negatively I’ll be viewed going the marauder route.

in Guardian

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

I use marauder for PvE and PvP. It’ll serve you well. No one should say kitten to you

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

in Guardian

Posted by: Eros.6801

Eros.6801

I don’t PvP tho but i use marauder in Open World/ WvW/Dun/Frac except for raid cuz ppl prefer “absolute” dps stat like viper, zerker.

If anyone ever done raiding with marauder i also wanna know how good it is in there. !!

in Guardian

Klowdy.3126

Does the extra health on a guardian be worthless in raids? I haven’t seen anything with raids at all, though I will be youtubing later. If the numbers are correct on that link (about 4 posts down) then the damage looks to balance out for the most part and add enough health to my tiny guardian health bar.

in Guardian

Posted by: LazyDad.2037

LazyDad.2037

I run marauder (I play wvw, open world pve) and works fine I slotted all _toughness accessories, but I think that is even overkill and about to swap out some of that toughness for more ferocity

I think the set works really well for the guardian. I have traverlers rune and love my guardian for what I run.

in Guardian

Posted by: bearshaman.3421

bearshaman.3421

Marauder is fine. I’m not using it, but mainly cuz I’m lazy. I have a mix of Celestial weapons and trinkets with Berserker armor, and it’s working well so I don’t feel like changing it lol. I may if I need the trinkets on a different character.

in Guardian

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

It is actually pretty optimal for WvW.
But if you want to get into raids, I suggest full berserker.

in Guardian

mrauls.6519

Even for raids, marauder is a great choice. You lose what? 5% damage. Pfft

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

in Guardian

Klowdy.3126

That is what my thought was on it. I may not be bringing the absolute maximum damage to the raid, but I don’t lose out on that much, and the low health of a guardian can be annoying to more than just me.

100 health has saved me many times, and I always have my f2 ready to get away and gain a bit of health, then kite for a few seconds waiting on the heal.

I guess my real question would be, are people that particular when it comes to raidin . I’ve played solo almost entirely since shortly after launch, and I have decided I want to see the raids.

in Guardian

mrauls.6519

Unless you’re looking to run with “elites” AKA people that let certain things dictate what’s acceptable to bring, you’re fine.

Don’t trip man

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

in Guardian

Klowdy.3126

Awesome thank you for the info. The stats fit my playstyle as far as power builds go, I just didn’t want to miss out on some of the game because I take a couple extra hits.

in Guardian

Posted by: Buran.3796

Buran.3796

Marauder is great for WvW raids and roaming, and more than enough for regular PvE content.

In fractals and PvE raids you should aim for max dps; you can argue about “only” losing a 5% dmg, but that tells me that you probably are on budget with your gear (probably a single ascended armor used in each game mode) which means that you won’t be wearing scholar runes (another 10% dmg loss) or specific sigils in the weapons (more loss) nor the top tier food.

So, at the end you probably will lose like a 15%-20% of damage, which is irrelevant in dungeons but critical in high level fractals and PvE raids. This, taking in consideration that Guardians aren’t the best at the dps ladder could lead to some animosity against you in pug games.

in Guardian

Klowdy.3126

Money is not the issue here, I just have no group experience. I can make another ascended set any time I want, I just haven’t been into the game as much as I have as of late. I made my first ascended set, but have already started on my second (viper).

It seems like my runes are going to be the biggest hurdle, which I can buy what is needed. I have actually wondered what to use anyway.

I’m not against using different weapons, but it seems like LB/GS isn’t the way to go in high end stuff, and that was one of the most exciting things about the expansion, guardian with a real form of range.

Any help with the matter is appreciated, and don’t worry about buying things, unless it’s an epic or some kitten lol.

in Guardian

mrauls.6519

Marauder is great for WvW raids and roaming, and more than enough for regular PvE content.

In fractals and PvE raids you should aim for max dps; you can argue about “only” losing a 5% dmg, but that tells me that you probably are on budget with your gear (probably a single ascended armor used in each game mode) which means that you won’t be wearing scholar runes (another 10% dmg loss) or specific sigils in the weapons (more loss) nor the top tier food.

So, at the end you probably will lose like a 15%-20% of damage, which is irrelevant in dungeons but critical in high level fractals and PvE raids. This, taking in consideration that Guardians aren’t the best at the dps ladder could lead to some animosity against you in pug games.

I’m not on any type of budget… I have gear for PvE and WvW, and I choose to use marauder… I can do w/e content I need to do w both… Each gearset has different infusions and runes, plus weapons…

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

in Guardian

Posted by: Azoqu.8917

Azoqu.8917

I’m not against using different weapons, but it seems like LB/GS isn’t the way to go in high end stuff, and that was one of the most exciting things about the expansion, guardian with a real form of range.

Just to let you know, the reason LB/GS aren’t used in high end stuff (really just raids, dungeons are whatever) is that hammer actually has the highest damage out of all of the weapons and you pair it with mace+focus just for the opening. LB/GS are great in fractals and dungeons because they are both burst weapons and the fights don’t last long enough to justify using the hammer really.

in Guardian

Klowdy.3126

Is it the small amount of extra damage on the weapon (like to points more) and the constant symbol uptime why hammer does better? I also assume that is for fights that last a few minutes, but what about movement and changes? Just get better at predicting lol.

in Guardian

Posted by: Azoqu.8917

Azoqu.8917

The reason hammer does more damage is because of the symbol up time which causes the trait for +10% damage to always be in effect. Also greatsword auto attack is terrible for what it is and should always be swapped out of when 2-5 are on CD. The hammer really works wonders on fights where the boss doesn’t move around so much which for most raid bosses, if you’re doing them correctly, they don’t move around to much anyhow. Plus the 100% protection upkeep is amazing.