Can Staff be a DPS weapon?

in Guardian

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

Also what role exactly does it fit?

While we are at it; what exactly is GS’s role as well, im really interested in those weapons (aesthetically) and I would like to see i my play style would fit those weapons.

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

in Guardian

Posted by: Yenn.9185

Yenn.9185

Staff is running/support weapon. GS is primarily our DPS weapon. Hammer is somewhat defensive. Scepter if you need range. 1H sword is probably the alternate DPS weapon.

in Guardian

Posted by: CptAurellian.9537

CptAurellian.9537

The greatsword role is clearly DPS with some control aspects. Staff, on the other hand, is supportive and as far from any kind of DPS as any weapon can probably be.

Warning! This post may contain traces of irony, sarcasm and peanuts.

There is no loyalty without betrayal. -Ann Smiley

in Guardian

Posted by: Azoqu.8917

Azoqu.8917

Though if you’re in an event and want to tag alot of mobs or even in WvW the staff becomes the best “DPS” weapon you can equip.

in Guardian

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

i tried in sPvP once with 30 in zeal, scholar runes, running around lol it was fun while it lasted. in group play, staff can be extremely devastating, especially with a high crit rate! empower and then throw on sigil of fire you get massive AoE damage… though in 1v1 (or anything close to that) it’s one of the worst sets to be in, imho.

like others have said, it is undeniably strong for support in group play though. very versatile and by no means it hits lightly. just probs not the best.

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in Guardian

Posted by: Oozo.7856

Oozo.7856

[Anonymous Defender] on Youtube
Solo & Roaming Group WvW Movies

in Guardian

Posted by: Blasino.3128

Blasino.3128

For WWW/PvP, it can be a DPS weapon if you are geared for it. Not a burst weapon, but a sustained damage of 1k – 1.5k per conical hit to multiple targets. However, it’s a weapon more geared for team/zerg fights. A guardian who knows how to use the staff properly can ruin a thieves’ and eles’ day. This is outside of the support options it does or can do (depending on traiting).

For the GS, its a great DPS weapon with a decent CC in its number 5 attack. However, against skilled players it looses value as its easy to avoid its hardest hitting attacks, CC, and symbol do to casting time and tell signs. In PvE its a great weapon to use.

Uturunku Yana, Guardian / Chullachaqui Yana, Engie
Group Stability is a hell of a Drug – Rick James
vT

in Guardian

Posted by: Tinoosh.5386

Tinoosh.5386

I am currently running a personal variant of a bunker build on my guardian and I got to say that the staff does quite nice damage just to finish off lowered foes!

It might not be as strong as a GS spec Guardian, but it can be a viable DPS weapon of choice if you really need staff and happen to have a slower attacking set (Mace/X) as second weapon set.

I am just stating this based on my experience with the Staff, it might be different for you or anyone else.

in Guardian

Posted by: fishergrip.4082

fishergrip.4082

It can spread decent dps across a number of targets in a large fight, but its not going to do great single target dps. If you have reduced cooldowns on 2h weapons and use a 1,1,2 rotation, you might be able to pull off decent single target dps, but the timing is a bit wonky and hitting with the 2 is not a guarantee. In short, any other guardian weapon has stronger single target DPS than the staff.

Maid Of The Coast

in Guardian

Posted by: iiMulch.2138

iiMulch.2138

I use staff as my aoe in zerg fight in wvw. I just spam 1# skill and run around getting hit markers on enemies so I can get points for their kills. It is mainly used as support with speed boost and the #4 skill is awesome in buffing up your teams might and health. Line of warding can be very useful in closing off choke points or slowing down enemy movement.

in Guardian

Posted by: stunningstyles.7054

stunningstyles.7054

is more a good consistent dps wep…it isn’t as good in bursty specs but it still kicks out a lot of dmg

in Guardian

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

GS is a balanced weapon that does everything decently, but nothing extremely well. Against players, it can be avoided easily if you try to use its burst and CC right off the bat. And being melee, it’s not that good for big WvW fights.

Staff is good for group support and can achieve okay damage. Use #1 for groups and a healthy dose of #2 against a single target to boost its damage. Very good for big WvW fights and group fights in general.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

in Guardian

Posted by: Andenhelm.2681

Andenhelm.2681

In PvE, if you consider GS to be the primary dps weapon… you haven’t tried sword/focus. My go-to zerker spec is sword/focus and staff.
http://youtu.be/QuO4Mkut6sE
In this video (not of me, but I verify that it performs like this.) , you’re essentially might/vulnerability stacking and going 10/30/0/30/0 with full zerk. He uses the auto-attack because that’ll do highest dps, but you can regularly hit for 10-15k with Zealot’s Defense. You also get more opportunities for might to proc, and have empower.

[AxA] Angels and Archons – Sanctum of Rall
Andenhelm – Guardian and Might-Stacking Extraordinaire

in Guardian

Posted by: Andenhelm.2681

Andenhelm.2681

In other words, for any group dungeon content where you’re in a dps role, I’d recommend staff even though it doesn’t have the highest outright damage.

[AxA] Angels and Archons – Sanctum of Rall
Andenhelm – Guardian and Might-Stacking Extraordinaire

in Guardian

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

In PvE, if you consider GS to be the primary dps weapon… you haven’t tried sword/focus.

The big problem with sword in PvE is the third attack in the #1 chain. Instead of being a wide cone, it’s a tight longer-ranged cone. That really cuts into its damage in multi-mob fights.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

in Guardian

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

is more a good consistent dps wep…it isn’t as good in bursty specs but it still kicks out a lot of dmg

OH….MY GOD!

Please build for this!

edit: nvm, just read the description….

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

in Guardian

Posted by: Hostility.4961

Hostility.4961

Full valk or zerk + power stacks + power food + 10% dmg food + rune of pack=1-3k crits on staff 1 skill depending on the target. Mid 1600-2000 if the target is at 2600ish armor. Orb does 2-5k crit. Up to u if u wanna has close to 19k hp with valk or 14k with zerk.

I usualy run around with full valk rune of pack, bane signet, 250 stacks power, 32% crit rate
0 10 30 25 5 build (ah+em) seaweed for 10% more dmg modifier. Attack is at 3700ish somethin if i remember correctly.

Destroys ppl during a frontal push in zerg lol. The 600 range combined with the spam of 2k+ crits is amazing. I havent been able to dish out so much dmg over such area so constantly and so fast and so freakin easy on my ele or on my warrior. Its liek a wave that keeps on slammin. Dunno bout other classes but staff 1 guardian truly is a nasty skill with right gear.

in Guardian

Posted by: GSSBlunaspike.4153

GSSBlunaspike.4153

Most of the people that answered you here are pve players only. Staff is a must have in wvw. Don’t go into wvw without one as a guardian. It will help your team, save your butt, and screw up the enemy so many times.

1) You can hit people through gates, some walls with the staff. Yes, go try it. They lay down siege at the front gate. You can sit there out of range and do a huge amount of damage to them. (I use sup fire for the extra aoe). You will get plenty of bags by just standing there pressing 1.

2) 5 can actually push people off of things if used properly, it can stop people from going to rams etc.

3) Your aoe can htit hrough doors, and if traited also heals your allies while doing it.Speaking of you have an amazing might stack heal on staff. It’s biggest problem is using it where an enemy can interrupt, but if they are outside of the gate they can’t.

4) IF they get through that gate (means your team wasn’t defending properly) then you can block them off if they aren’t using stability. Two guardians can punish a team that didn’t bring aoe stability with them.

What I said above works offensively also. Use your staff on the enemy gate and kill the people behind it. Use your warding to block off the entrance to a keep and watch as the enemy rebounds on to their butt. Or use it to knock people off a wall etc.

Staff can do a good amount of damage, it just doesn’t get used much for some reason.