Chilling Nova

Chilling Nova

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Super cool Reaper trait …

Perhaps we might get a Burning Nova ability some day? SO close.

Chilling Nova

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

You wish, did you forgot? We are in a good place.

Chilling Nova

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

I didn’t forget. Good place doesn’t mean we are ignored for development. I’m also intrigued by the way the Reaper elite trait was developed with 3 ‘lines’, each having a theme. Very promising overall.

Chilling Nova

in Guardian

Posted by: Softspoken.2410

Softspoken.2410

Would Permeating Wrath be something like Chilling Nova? Especially since they were discussing making it pulse the burn around your foe, instead of around the Guardian.

Mixing insults with your post is like pooping in a salad.
It’s pretty obvious, and nobody’s impressed.

Chilling Nova

in Guardian

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

I just get the impression that Robert has a much better grasp on what players want with these specializations than Karl does. If the rest of the specs look more like the Reaper and Chronomancer, we’ll have been completely shafted.

Chilling Nova

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

I like the idea that Chilling Nova spreads when pulsing. I’m not aware of any changes where Permeating Wrath would work the same way. Right now it just covers an AOE on activation.

I just get the impression that Robert has a much better grasp on what players want with these specializations than Karl does. If the rest of the specs look more like the Reaper and Chronomancer, we’ll have been completely shafted.

To be fair, I don’t think the specs are only worked on by a single dev at every stage of their development. We’ve only seen three and let’s be honest, we are biased for Guardian. I think that Of the three we have seen, the goal for Mesmer and Necro was to bring them up to the baseline of the other professions. Guardians IMO were already at that baseline.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Chilling Nova

in Guardian

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

It would appear so. I’m completely envious of necros and mesmers right now, I’m really hoping some major changes are made to the guardian’s spec (would be awesome if Robert took over, not holding my breath though). Their specializations appear to be both interesting and useful.

To be fair, I don’t think the specs are only worked on by a single dev at every stage of their development. We’ve only seen three and let’s be honest, we are biased for Guardian. I think that Of the three we have seen, the goal for Mesmer and Necro was to bring them up to the baseline of the other professions. Guardians IMO were already at that baseline.

Well the point of elite specializations isn’t to provide a buff, so that was probably not their intention. For me that’s besides the point though, because even if the DH was amazingly strong, in my eyes it’s still a boring mess that lacks cohesion.
The point of elite specs was to allow one to focus (or “specialize”) into a single aspect. Chronomancers are a very good example of this, and allow mesmers to focus into support. The DH is the opposite, and offers a whole bunch of stuff which doesn’t fit together at all.

(edited by Fashion Mage.3712)

Chilling Nova

in Guardian

Black Box.9312

I won’t deny being biased towards Guardian, but even so it kind of irks me that so far both the Mesmer and the Necro have gotten specs that are fully cohesive with the base class. By contrast, almost nothing in the Dragonhunter traitline complements the base Guardian skills and traits, and vice versa. Rather than receiving an extension of what we already have, they just tacked on a bow and traps, made the virtues more offensively oriented (and the block, which I think would really have made more sense as a reworked shield 4), and called it good without stopping to think about how well any of it would synergize with our current abilities.

Chilling Nova

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

That’s completely reasonable, I also biased. I think it was very hard for the devs to come up with a theme that fits the Guardian AND fills our gaps for certain gameplay aspects without making the profession go beyond their comfort zone for performance.

without being too defensive, lI think the balance is struck well here. They gave some some new aspects of diverse gameplay filling some gaps without pushing us into a spot where future development couldn’t be achieved because of already being everything they want us to be.

People forget, there are more chapters to come. I’m almost certain that if the HoT expansion is successful from a business perspective, we will get more specs over time, likely not attached to expansions that will open up our gaming options even more. It’s inevitable that future specs appeal as much or more than this one. Of course I’m assuming that granting more spec options is a ‘thing’ in this game but I don’t see how it wouldn’t if HoT really worked out for them.

Chilling Nova

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

Well the point of elite specializations isn’t to provide a buff, so that was probably not their intention.

I think it’s worth reviewing this. People should not be so assuming that they understand what the ‘point’ of things are. Each profession has a palce ANet wants them to be and those professions will get the tools from Anet to close the gaps. I’m no so certain that the point of elite specs isn’t to provide a buff. That’s entirely dependent on how Anet sees the profession in it’s current and future states. Based on what I see for Mes and Necro, elite specs are actually entirely about buffing those classes.

Chilling Nova

in Guardian

Posted by: Greek.4396

Greek.4396

+1, Not trying to be offensive or anything, but I wouldn’t mind if Robert worked on Guardian as well : 3

We would prob get some crazy holy divine laser beams shooting out from bow, purifying allies and destroying evilll. Idk something cool .

Server – Blackgate | Rev Main
Main Guild – oPP/RIOT/yumy(Booty Bakery)
IGN- Greek Kenpachi | Champion Ritualist

Chilling Nova

in Guardian

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

Robert used the term “we” both times he’s introduced an elite spec, while referencing who works on the specs. I can almost assure you Karl is also on that team, which means both Robert and Karl have been involved with all three released specs so far.

Fishsticks

Chilling Nova

in Guardian

Posted by: WhiteCrow.5310

WhiteCrow.5310

I won’t deny being biased towards Guardian, but even so it kind of irks me that so far both the Mesmer and the Necro have gotten specs that are fully cohesive with the base class. By contrast, almost nothing in the Dragonhunter traitline complements the base Guardian skills and traits, and vice versa.

Welcome to Necro for the last several years. Condition Grandmaster traits in our crit line, an entire line that is useless and doesn’t work with our class mechanic (Blood magic). And yet I stuck it out and still PvP’ed with it. You can do the same.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Chilling Nova

in Guardian

Black Box.9312

I won’t deny being biased towards Guardian, but even so it kind of irks me that so far both the Mesmer and the Necro have gotten specs that are fully cohesive with the base class. By contrast, almost nothing in the Dragonhunter traitline complements the base Guardian skills and traits, and vice versa.

Welcome to Necro for the last several years. Condition Grandmaster traits in our crit line, an entire line that is useless and doesn’t work with our class mechanic (Blood magic). And yet I stuck it out and still PvP’ed with it. You can do the same.

Yes, because making the same mistakes with a different class previously completely justifies doing it again.

Chilling Nova

in Guardian

Posted by: WhiteCrow.5310

WhiteCrow.5310

Yes, because making the same mistakes with a different class previously completely justifies doing it again.

It definitely doesn’t, but hey, look who we’re dealing with here. It seems for all the greatness they accomplish, they’re sure to equalize it with mediocrity.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Chilling Nova

in Guardian

Posted by: Kicast.1459

Kicast.1459

Yep
Nothing worst can happen than being considered as in a good place from Anet.
It happened two years ago to mesmers…you know what happened then…

Chilling Nova

in Guardian

Posted by: Arnath.2319

Arnath.2319

Would Permeating Wrath be something like Chilling Nova? Especially since they were discussing making it pulse the burn around your foe, instead of around the Guardian.

I hope they make this change however even if they did it’s in the wrong trait line, Dragon Hunter is going to b e our condi line then traits that improve our condi abilities that currently reside in Zeal and Radiance should be in Dragon Hunter.

And STILL even if those traits were in DH and they did make that change to Permeating Wrath i don’t think it would be enough to get condi guards viable.

Chilling Nova

in Guardian

Black Box.9312

I hope they make this change however even if they did it’s in the wrong trait line, Dragon Hunter is going to b e our condi line then traits that improve our condi abilities that currently reside in Zeal and Radiance should be in Dragon Hunter.

And STILL even if those traits were in DH and they did make that change to Permeating Wrath i don’t think it would be enough to get condi guards viable.

Sorry, but calling DH our dedicated condi line is a joke at best. One trait that gives bleed from traps is not going to be the deciding factor in whether or not condi guardian will establish any prominence.

Chilling Nova

in Guardian

Arnath.2319

Sorry, but calling DH our dedicated condi line is a joke at best. One trait that gives bleed from traps is not going to be the deciding factor in whether or not condi guardian will establish any prominence.

I agree, that is why i said condi guards still won’t be viable even in HoT.

I think the devs want DH to be the condi line, but i don’t think they realise that bleed on traps is not enough, especially since traps have such a massive cooldown.

Chilling Nova

in Guardian

Posted by: LetoII.3782

LetoII.3782

Wait a second…
I thought Radiance looked to be the condition options. Some of our new elite line just happen to also apply some.

Chilling Nova

in Guardian

Arnath.2319

Wait a second…
I thought Radiance looked to be the condition options. Some of our new elite line just happen to also apply some.

They tried to force guards into condi a few times since release, when they released the new grandmaster traits for example.

If the devs really want condi guard to be a real thing they need to make some serious changes.

Chilling Nova

in Guardian

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

The DH line gives barely anything towards having a condi spec. I don’t know why you’d think it would be a good idea to call it as such. The big reason condi will be more accessible is because of the multi hit traps, but the core of the builds already exist in current traits, Amplified Wrath to name a big one. Hybrid guard is already viable, and condition guard could be too with the changes to burning. We saw burning ticks for 4k in the stream. That’s an acceptable number to hit for condition ticks

Fishsticks

Chilling Nova

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

Wait a second…

They tried to force guards into condi a few times since release, when they released the new grandmaster traits for example.

If the devs really want condi guard to be a real thing they need to make some serious changes.

LAWLWUT? We have never been forced into condi ever. Introducing the GM traits forced us into nothing.

Devs don’t want anyone to do anything. They will make traits available for people that want to play that style.

Chilling Nova

in Guardian

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

That’s completely reasonable, I also biased. I think it was very hard for the devs to come up with a theme that fits the Guardian AND fills our gaps for certain gameplay aspects without making the profession go beyond their comfort zone for performance.

+1
Am I the only one who thinks the necro got sfx while Karl actually gave us what the majority asked for? I know i’m bias but I’m more than happy with the results, as are others.

The devs are all working with each other for balance inquiries. Class design doesn’t just fall on one person’s shoulders. I’m sure there’s at least three people giving input on the same profession with one person being the core designer.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

Chilling Nova

in Guardian

Arnath.2319

LAWLWUT? We have never been forced into condi ever. Introducing the GM traits forced us into nothing.

I said the devs TRIED to make condi guards viable, we were obviously never forced to take those bad traits.

The DH line gives barely anything towards having a condi spec. I don’t know why you’d think it would be a good idea to call it as such.

It’s the devs who want it to be condi spec not me, did anyone watch the livestream? They were saying repeatable that condi guard is a real thing now with the DH.

Chilling Nova

in Guardian

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

I said the devs TRIED to make condi guards viable, we were obviously never forced to take those bad traits.

The DH line gives barely anything towards having a condi spec. I don’t know why you’d think it would be a good idea to call it as such.

It’s the devs who want it to be condi spec not me, did anyone watch the livestream? They were saying repeatable that condi guard is a real thing now with the DH.

Because our condi spec, in general, never was a real thing. Just the trap bleeds and F1 change, alone, is already a more viable condi spec than what we have now. For reasons that’s been expressed countless times in previous “burn guard” threads. The dev simply implied that this particular area has been addressed.

DH condi guardian Can be a thing but he’s not pushing us to go conditions. He’s not even forcing us to go DH. No dev is.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

Chilling Nova

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

Equipping a Sigil of Earth is more Condi than the new traits have delivered. Actually, that might be a really cool Spec with 100% crit uptime on 1H weapons now.

<make note to try this when traits change>

Chilling Nova

in Guardian

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

Necro is in a good place, too, so think positively.