CoF p1 1st boss

CoF p1 1st boss

in Guardian

Posted by: Fletch.3572

Fletch.3572

Hey folks, i just did a pug of p1 and we wiped like 2 times at the 1st boss. After we finally took him down a warrior in the group said “Nice, noob guard” and left the group.

I’ve done this a few times on my guard, maybe I do suck, and was carried, but we were always successful. I was just wondering if there are some certain wep skills/utilities that make that fight easy mode or something that I’m not aware of.

My gear is all exo of course, ppt/ppcrit, and a pretty basic altruistic/empowering might build, 0/10/30/30/0

Again was just wondering if there was a certain wep/utility that I should have been using on that guy. The war had a legendary, so he’s been around, he would not respond to me when I asked what I could have done different. Gimme a hand tell me I suck, or let me know what the skill is I needed to use lol !!

CoF p1 1st boss

in Guardian

Posted by: Reihert.1509

Reihert.1509

It’s hard to say what happened without being there actually.

Usually, a control guardian (a tank, we just dont use these word to prevent some guardians getting jumpy, because they think tanking is to stand in there) is geared differently than yours.

Not that you did anything wrong, really, but you are wearing a more agressive gear with a more supporty trait, so that could make you versatile, but not enough to actually “control” or dish out a lot of dps.

So i’ll consider you went as more of a dps/support instead of control/support, ok?

What did you earn, with that role in mind, by going AH? I know it’s synergy with Empowering might, but if you are more of a support/dps, why focus on such big healing?

If you are not supposed to get hit, you could spend those points elsewhere, specially with more dmg to debuffed mobs (and getting 250 precision on your way to it!), for example. That spec means you can take some dmg, but not that much.

If you were willing to tank, ooops, sorry, “control”…
then you need to go soldier route on your gear and keep those 30/30 specc.
(Soldier (power/vit/tough) with some Knights in the mix if you feel like you need more crit).

I also sugest rune of the soldier in your gear, so all your shouts cleanse everyone.

CoF p1 1st boss

in Guardian

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

It’s hard to say what happened without being there actually.

Usually, a control guardian (a tank, we just dont use these word to prevent some guardians getting jumpy, because they think tanking is to stand in there) is geared differently than yours.

Not that you did anything wrong, really, but you are wearing a more agressive gear with a more supporty trait, so that could make you versatile, but not enough to actually “control” or dish out a lot of dps.

So i’ll consider you went as more of a dps/support instead of control/support, ok?

What did you earn, with that role in mind, by going AH? I know it’s synergy with Empowering might, but if you are more of a support/dps, why focus on such big healing?

If you are not supposed to get hit, you could spend those points elsewhere, specially with more dmg to debuffed mobs (and getting 250 precision on your way to it!), for example. That spec means you can take some dmg, but not that much.

If you were willing to tank, ooops, sorry, “control”…
then you need to go soldier route on your gear and keep those 30/30 specc.
(Soldier (power/vit/tough) with some Knights in the mix if you feel like you need more crit).

I also sugest rune of the soldier in your gear, so all your shouts cleanse everyone.

This post. I don’t really know what to make of it. It doesn’t really make any sense in the context of this thread.

Anyway…If by “first boss” you mean the slave driver, then your entire group had to suck pretty bad to wipe twice. People are always eager to pin the blame on someone else. If anything, I bet that warrior died first.

CoF is a cesspool anyway. Heavily populated by “leet pr0 warriors” who never use anything but full berserker gear, 5 signets, and a greatsword. I get so sick of scraping their sorry hides off the floor that I usually don’t even bother reviving them.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

(edited by Quarktastic.1027)

CoF p1 1st boss

in Guardian

Posted by: Fletch.3572

Fletch.3572

Is there anything at all that has synergy with gs/hammer/staff at all in Radiance? I got a ton of crit chance via oil and food, so I don’t need it for just the stats, and have been slowly working away from my ptv gear to up my damage some, hence the ppcrit/ppt armor (apparently everyone has to be super dps now according to 3/4s of the forums).

Some clarification on what you mean by dps/support (i get that one=) or control/ support, this is precisely what I’m asking, is what certain skills/utilities I need for this encounter, to make me not the “great, a noob guard” guy again.

edit Quark posted like the same time I did. Yeah I’m a bit confused to Reis advice ><

CoF p1 1st boss

in Guardian

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

Is there anything at all that has synergy with gs/hammer/staff at all in Radiance? I got a ton of crit chance via oil and food, so I don’t need it for just the stats, and have been slowly working away from my ptv gear to up my damage some, hence the ppcrit/ppt armor (apparently everyone has to be super dps now according to 3/4s of the forums).

Some clarification on what you mean by dps/support (i get that one=) or control/ support, this is precisely what I’m asking, is what certain skills/utilities I need for this encounter, to make me not the “great, a noob guard” guy again.

edit Quark posted like the same time I did. Yeah I’m a bit confused to Reis advice ><

I run 4 pieces of knight’s armor, and 2 pieces of soldier’s armor (p/v/t) with full knight’s trinkets. I also run 15 points in radiance for renewed justice. Renewed justice isn’t all that useful in some dungeons, but the initial blind from the 5 point minor trait (blind justice) makes the initial brunt of some trash pulls more bearable. I’m often the last person to go down in a bad pull, and I have soloed a few dungeon bosses while the rest of my team was dead on the floor. After wiping for the third time.

(Sorry dead teammates, but I’m not letting subject alpha reset for a fourth time just so you can all faceplant again.)

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

CoF p1 1st boss

in Guardian

Posted by: Mazer.8923

Mazer.8923

OP, I run a similar AH build. I use 0/5/30/30/5 with Knights armor and mostly berserker trinkets. I started with much more knights stats but replaced them with berserker stats as I got more comfortable with the build (including most/not all of my weapons). When I do CoF I normally use a GS/scepter/focus and do just fine. So don’t think your gear is the issue, especially if it’s all exotic.
Without knowing more of what happened all I can say is that I agree with what Quarktastic said in that CoF is largely overrun with ignorant warriors (of course not all of them) that just think they can glass cannon their way through without a thought for their group.
The only thing I can think of that you might have done wrong is not using your shouts to grant buffs and heal yourself? Other than that, I’d just chalk it up to some bad pugs and see if you can get a friendly group to give you pointers if you want. A good guild certainly helps to run with so I’d ask around if you don’t have one already.

I’m not really sure what to make of Reihert’s post either. Especially since it sounds like they’re thinking AH is a trait that’s meant to heals others…because it’s actually a selfish trait meant to only heal you. BUT, it does benefit others since to heal yourself you should be putting as many buffs as you can on your team and this means you and they should stay alive longer.

CoF p1 1st boss

in Guardian

Posted by: Lalangamena.3694

Lalangamena.3694

if we are talking about the slave driver boss, then the ONLY way you could suck is that if you attack the stupid effigy instead of the slave driver.

if this was the case, yes your fault.

in all other scenarios it is very hard to call a guardian a “bad” because even if you stand in the corner and just spam “hold the line” and “retreat” on CD attacking nothing, you already did your part.
if you used your staff and also spammed empower as soon as possible, then you contributed to the fight more than anybody else.

so, it is hard to tell because we don’t exactly know how the fight went.

CoF p1 1st boss

in Guardian

Posted by: Phira.3970

Phira.3970

I kill Slave Driver in 6 seconds with my team *using guard, maintaining 25 might on everyone, 25 vuln on enemy, etc…). Sounds like someone in your team just hit80 and probably is still wearing lvl 50ish mastercraft armor.

CoF p1 1st boss

in Guardian

Posted by: Phazon.7503

Phazon.7503

I have a Guard with exo pvt armor and soldier runes. For accessoiries I have Berserker and Knight ones. I’m went for some more dps while sacrificing toughness and vit.

Why? Because I don’t need it in most dungeons I know well.

If you can anticipate the attacks of those bosses well, you can evade a lot of damage and you’ll never go down. You can support other players with SYG, HTL, SY, retreat and Aegis. If you activate them at the right time, you can help your allies a lot if they make a mistake.

If warriors go down and blame you, they probably only focused on attacking and completely ignored evading, while thinking you spawn a lot of protection (guess what, a guard cannot protect infinitely). That’s their issue actually, not really your problem.

So if you timed your shouts and skills well (class mastery as I like to call it), it’s probably the fault of someone else in your party. It’s the risk of pugging and that’s why I prefer to do my daily CoF runs with Guildies. We know each other and can anticipate on each other’s skills. Don’t feel down for one or two bad runs, learn for it and apply it to your future runs. You’ll always have people who are not very friendly, but just ignore them and think of the times runs went very well

CoF p1 1st boss

in Guardian

Posted by: Blasino.3128

Blasino.3128

Generally, a good farm group can kill the slave driver before the effigy comes to attack. It usually requires a mesmer and everyone running glass canons.

The warrior could have been used to that, though I’m not sure why he would blame you specifically. It is lame that he did that.

If the effigy comes though, it isn’t your job to keep everyone alive. All it takes is a dodge from the main attack. You can’t force people to dodge =).

Uturunku Yana, Guardian / Chullachaqui Yana, Engie
Group Stability is a hell of a Drug – Rick James
vT

CoF p1 1st boss

in Guardian

Posted by: Kahrgan.7401

Kahrgan.7401

The thing that people forget about the slave driver boss, is that the longer the fight goes on, the harder he becomes, he attacks faster and starts taking roids.

Your group must of been really low on the dps to wipe on him. He should be dead in under a minute.

Don’t call anyone out on their BS, that’s an infraction and a deleted post. —Anet.

CoF p1 1st boss

in Guardian

Posted by: paperplay.6941

paperplay.6941

utility – shield of the avenger(20s) and wall of reflection(10s)

these 2 will buy u 30secs of projectile protection from the effigy where most of the damage comes from(only use it when the effigy reaches you and starts shooting those fireballs) . if you can’t handle the damage from the slavedriver himself , use a hammer (3rd swing gives protection) and pack shelter as your heal , the blocks helps against those hard-hitting multiattacks. tankable even in zerker gear + hammer + lifesteal food.

and pack enough armor, around >3k. and get first hit on the boss to ensure he doesnt go around chasing other people.

if the boss is still not dead/dying after 30s , well … it’s not your fault.

(edited by paperplay.6941)

CoF p1 1st boss

in Guardian

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

If you’re not full DPS in COF it may not be ENTIRELY your fault but you’re certainly part of the problem. COF is one of those dungeons where the tankier you are, the harder the run gets. Slave driver hits you for 2-3k per swing really quick, to the extent you can’t just dodge everything, so the easiest way to kill him is just to burst him down as quickly as possible. The longer you take, the more people are going to go down, because it really isn’t possible to just tank him unless your entire party just goes full clerics and wears him down over the next half hour. Which most people don’t want to do. Along the same lines, slower acolyte kills means more time standing around while five mobs beat on you, slower controller kill means more time people have to tank constant mob spawns, and effigy takes exponentially longer because he heals, so if your DPS is low it may actually become impossible to kill him without killing the crystals, which is a pain in the kitten

Yeah, you might not need 5 people in full optimized zerker specs, but you can’t just have only one person doing it either. To put it differently, the people in zerker specs are basically doing the dungeon for you, and you’re just leeching off them. That’s not exactly fair to the rest of the team.

That said, four people should be enough to easily handle the slave driver without wiping if they know what they’re doing. If you were wiping you probably weren’t the only one who was undergeared. I don’t know why he singled you out.

CoF p1 1st boss

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

It’s weird you got singled out. I guess some people just expect everything to go absolutely swimmingly if they get a guardian in team.

CoF p1 1st boss

in Guardian

Posted by: Bullfrog.1324

Bullfrog.1324

utility – shield of the avenger(20s) and wall of reflection(10s)

these 2 will buy u 30secs of projectile protection from the effigy where most of the damage comes from(only use it when the effigy reaches you and starts shooting those fireballs) . if you can’t handle the damage from the slavedriver himself , use a hammer (3rd swing gives protection) and pack shelter as your heal , the blocks helps against those hard-hitting multiattacks. tankable even in zerker gear + hammer + lifesteal food.

and pack enough armor, around >3k. and get first hit on the boss to ensure he doesnt go around chasing other people.

if the boss is still not dead/dying after 30s , well … it’s not your fault.

This is almost exactly what I was going to post. The only thing I would add is that I typically use “Hold The Line!” for the 3rd skill to cover protection gaps and give a little healing. This particular boss is perfect for using a hammer, regardless of build, because of everyone grouping on him.

If there is no mesmer / ranger in the group, use Banish to push him against the wall (he runs slightly downhill and towards the wall after turning hostile, so position yourself accordingly). Warriors like this so they can use Whirlwind Attack and get most of the hits to land. Whatever you do, do not use Zelot’s Embrace before the boss is against the wall. He gains defiant stacks after the first CC and he is much harder to fight in the center of the room. I usually love seeing axe/mace warriors in CoF runs, but I hate the ones that open this fight with Tremor and ruin any chances of cornering the boss.

I’d rather regret something I’d done than regret doing nothing.
[Profession Synonym] Lexxi [ANGL] – Tarnished Coast

CoF p1 1st boss

in Guardian

Posted by: Phira.3970

Phira.3970

Here’s with a guardian in CoF group killing slave driver in around 7 seconds and last boss in about 25 seconds:

Guardian is me. I do support guardian and buff everyone up.

CoF p1 1st boss

in Guardian

Posted by: JJBigs.8456

JJBigs.8456

Imo, playing a guard and a war, guardians will never be able to match the damage of a warrior, so if slave driver dies too slowly, the wars die, and they will blame any non-warrior class. It is true though, but if not a 5 war team, they cant expect it to die as fast. Your build is good.

CoF p1 1st boss

in Guardian

Posted by: Levitas.1953

Levitas.1953

perhaps he’s an endless 100b warrior. cant move, cant think, just able to hit or get downed if mob doesnt die before him. or it can be a skilled guy after a long day of work… who knows?

some teams simply dont work. if you did well in other runs this can be the reason. i cant give you guardian tricks as i dont play it but most of the time you gain a good teammate and lose a ragequitter.

(edited by Levitas.1953)