Communal Defenses OR Altruistic Healing?

in Guardian

Posted by: Abe Kleine.3568

Abe Kleine.3568

The answer is AH, after finding out I’ll have to choose between these two traits, I’m sad to say I will never actually use the new CD.

When this one was announced I was like “Omg that’s pretty awesome for once!”……. “Wait what? I’ll have to choose between AH and THIS?.. AH it is then”

The payoff in large and even medium engagements is much greater for AH than CD. Keep trying Anet, maybe another year down the line you’ll come up with a patch for Guardian that won’t make me facepalm.

in Guardian

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

Communal defense from what i think will be a good support Grandmaster since both grandmasters in valor are selfish. It’ll work great with Pure of Heart, and Shattered Aegis, and if you want retal, Wrathful Spirit.

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

in Guardian

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Depends on the situation.

THink Mace 3 = block, toss it up, and purposefully eat a hit yourself, boom your team all has aegis for any secondary hit. Same with retreat/courage.

Seems like CD has the potential to be pretty awesome. While AH is just a solid trait.

But like PoV is my go to on honor GM trait, AH will be my go to. But then with POV I swap to many of the diff options at diff times, same will be for AH/CD.

For example I could see having mace/shield as my secondary for HoTW1, so I could simply swap mace hit 3, eat a hit and boom aegis + healing from Aegis on all my teammates. Seems like it would be great to help keep my teammates alive if they don’t get out fast enough when he starts his whirling blades thing.

Maybe some potential with lupi, just allow your aegis’s to refresh everyone else, they only last for 5s though so that’s a bit of a downer.

in Guardian

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

To get any benefit from Ah you actually have to give boons out to your allies.

Otherwise you’d receive no significant unless your running around with full Lyssa runes, “Save Yourselves,” and Contemplation of Purity.

Devona’s Rest

in Guardian

Posted by: Silv.9207

Silv.9207

Communal defences can be good only if there’s 2 or more guardians that create a chain whit that trait effect. Think about 5 guardians that be hit one by one and active aegis every time. That can be good.
But… that will never be. AoEkitten**k up that strategy a lot.

Altruistic Healing is the best trait you can find on a Guardian. Combined, for example, whit the trait that give might on critical hit you can heal yourself every second just hitting the enemy.

AH is the greatest trait that make the guardian able to heal itself whit buff and guardian can spam buffs in a good way (symbol, might on critical and shouts, for exemple).

I play the guardian whit a 0/0/30/30/10 build and soldier+knight equipment. I like the idea to give more damage, and I wait the new patch…but… I think that nothing in that new traits give me reasons to change my build.
I want to be a dps guardian in a competitive way, or to obtain the chance to give more damage.
But ANet don’t like that…

in Guardian

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

Would someone mind filling me in? When was this new trait announced? EDIT: Nevermind, I found the stream.

(edited by Morsus.5106)

in Guardian

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Communal defences can be good only if there’s 2 or more guardians that create a chain whit that trait effect. Think about 5 guardians that be hit one by one and active aegis every time. That can be good.
But… that will never be. AoEkitten**k up that strategy a lot.

Altruistic Healing is the best trait you can find on a Guardian. Combined, for example, whit the trait that give might on critical hit you can heal yourself every second just hitting the enemy.

AH is the greatest trait that make the guardian able to heal itself whit buff and guardian can spam buffs in a good way (symbol, might on critical and shouts, for exemple).

I play the guardian whit a 0/0/30/30/10 build and soldier+knight equipment. I like the idea to give more damage, and I wait the new patch…but… I think that nothing in that new traits give me reasons to change my build.
I want to be a dps guardian in a competitive way, or to obtain the chance to give more damage.
But ANet don’t like that…

Your favorite/base build may not change, but don’t forget that we’ll be able to on the fly change traits. That alone is going to be so nice. HoTW is a good one IMO. Being able to face tank that last boss is pretty great, keeps a stable target for everyone else, personally my team punts him into the far left pillar and we keep him there. Now, up until that point, I can run DPS and it’s nice. I could run it on that fight but god we love a support guard tanking it. So with this change I’ll be able to go full zerk setup for begining, quickly swap gear/retrait for last fight, and boom.

Will it be worth the time /shrug, can retrait and swap gear pretty fast. But just the amount of things that change opens up is great. So many options for build variances without locking you into it for longer than you want to.

Could even do a quick swap taking AH off completely if you don’t need it for something and swap on the 10% extra damage on burning from zeal tree.

The options we have, and all on the fly, is just going to be fantastic.

(edited by Jerus.4350)

in Guardian

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

5 guardian unscathed contender rawr.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

in Guardian

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

5 guardian unscathed contender rawr.

20 second cd so it won’t be up 100% of the time. It will be pretty OP though.
EDIT: Typo, it’s 20 not 5 second CD.

(edited by Morsus.5106)

in Guardian

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

I’d use communal defense over AH if I’m using a mace. Mace really can’t take full advantage of AH like hammer can. Protectors strike and communal defense has more synergy and its more consistent.

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

in Guardian

Posted by: dace.8019

dace.8019

I’d use communal defense over AH if I’m using a mace. Mace really can’t take full advantage of AH like hammer can. Protectors strike and communal defense has more synergy and its more consistent.

Man, ANet missed a trick by not making the ICD 15s so that it’s a perfect match with PS on Mace.

Unless you swap into Mace, pop PS immediately, swap out of Mace ASAP, swap back into Mace ASAP, and pop it again.

Forgetting other block sources for the moment.

in Guardian

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

Man, ANet missed a trick by not making the ICD 15s so that it’s a perfect match with PS on Mace.

Unless you swap into Mace, pop PS immediately, swap out of Mace ASAP, swap back into Mace ASAP, and pop it again.

Forgetting other block sources for the moment.

One of the devs during the live feed said the ICD was 15-20secs. To prevent disappointment everyone should assume 20secs. If its 15secs that is great and fits perfectly with the mace.

My perspective is communal defense is a better GM trait for mace than AH. AH works best with hammer and staff, mace doesn’t have the ability to apply boons to allies at a respectable rate, at least for it to be worth while.

Plus, mace already has healing on auto attack that applies to allies as well. So to me communal defense is the better option. Pure of Heart will work well with it. Shattered aegis as well if one is traited for damage. Despite what many people may think about shattered aegis, it can be good under the right circumstances (in pvp).

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

in Guardian

Posted by: dace.8019

dace.8019

One of the devs during the live feed said the ICD was 15-20secs. To prevent disappointment everyone should assume 20secs. If its 15secs that is great and fits perfectly with the mace.

My perspective is communal defense is a better GM trait for mace than AH. AH works best with hammer and staff, mace doesn’t have the ability to apply boons to allies at a respectable rate, at least for it to be worth while.

Plus, mace already has healing on auto attack that applies to allies as well. So to me communal defense is the better option. Pure of Heart will work well with it. Shattered aegis as well if one is traited for damage. Despite what many people may think about shattered aegis, it can be good under the right circumstances (in pvp).

I agree. I’ve been hoping for a buff to Mace for a long time. Crafted the Juggernaut instead of the Moot because I felt Hammer was superior. With this? Mace is now a contender. And it opens up other build options too like, as you mention, the Aegis orientated traits that are often under utilised.

If only they had been this clever with burning/condition that they’re trying to shoe-horn onto the class (yes, fire is very much a hallmark of the class and I want more interesting ways to burn all the heathens, but this isn’t it!).