Condi guard need help

Condi guard need help

in Guardian

Posted by: EremiteAngel.9765

EremiteAngel.9765

I would like to build a condi guard but I’m not sure what is the best armor and trinkets stats to use.

Also would like to ask for WvW roaming if it is viable as a condi guard as I think the only condi we have is a burn and with only one condi isn’t it easy to get cleared?

Scourge Demo Weekend Roaming Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsby6rYkxS8

Condi guard need help

in Guardian

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

Carrion, Viper, splashes of Dire all make for some good options. Guardian weapons all scale well with Power because they don’t naturally apply conditions, so hybrid is almost always the way to go.

Burning is usually applied extremely quickly, so even if they cleans you’ll be applying it right back. With Radiant Fire you have a condi burst every 10s on Torch, and Purging Flames is the condition version of Test of Faith. Between those two and the frequent application of your other weapon skills, you can compete well enough. Additional conditions are always beneficial, so don’t forget about sigils and the like.

Fishsticks

Condi guard need help

in Guardian

EremiteAngel.9765

Carrion, Viper, splashes of Dire all make for some good options. Guardian weapons all scale well with Power because they don’t naturally apply conditions, so hybrid is almost always the way to go.

Burning is usually applied extremely quickly, so even if they cleans you’ll be applying it right back. With Radiant Fire you have a condi burst every 10s on Torch, and Purging Flames is the condition version of Test of Faith. Between those two and the frequent application of your other weapon skills, you can compete well enough. Additional conditions are always beneficial, so don’t forget about sigils and the like.

Is crit chance important for a condi guard?

Condi guard need help

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Be brave and crazy and use traited spirit weapon.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Condi guard need help

in Guardian

Ghotistyx.6942

Crit is a little important for proccing Radiant Fire and to enhance your power damage, but other than RF you don’t proc burning through crits.

Fishsticks

Condi guard need help

in Guardian

EremiteAngel.9765

Crit is a little important for proccing Radiant Fire and to enhance your power damage, but other than RF you don’t proc burning through crits.

Thanks! With the radiant line alone that gives fury + 10% crit = 30% crit uptime, would you think I need any more crit stats?

Condi guard need help

in Guardian

EremiteAngel.9765

I thought seriously about this, I mean it would be so unique and cool!
But then I thought back to my own fights against spirit weapon guards and realized I never lost to one before =/

Condi guard need help

in Guardian

Ghotistyx.6942

Thanks! With the radiant line alone that gives fury + 10% crit = 30% crit uptime, would you think I need any more crit stats?

Even better is running 1H Strength, Sword, and Scepter which essentially gives you 45% crit for free (Sword’s Symbol grants Fury with decent uptime). After that, you can still get away with Vipers for the extra precision to help reach 100% burn duration. I’d use enough Dire to reach the amount of Toughness you need, and then use either Vipers or Carrion depending on how much Vitality I feel I needed.

Burn Guard is something very similar to what I run myself. You have everything you really need except maybe some numerical defense.

One powerful burst is: Start in Scepter, use Shield of Wrath 2s before engaging. Chains of Light + Judge’s Intervention, Smite, swap to Sword, Flashing Blade, then double throw Zealot’s Fire. If everything fires you should easily hit 30k+ over 5s, and not much is going to survive that. The nature of Burn Guardian also lends itself well to sustained damage, so your auto attacks will still be applying good pressure. Your weaknesses are being bursted yourself without cooldowns, so just try to never let off the gas. Don’t forget you have a burst every ~10s by double throwing Zealot’s Fire, and Purging Flames is both defensive and a very good offensive option when the enemy has used up condition clears.

Fishsticks

(edited by Ghotistyx.6942)

Condi guard need help

in Guardian

Aeolus.3615

I thought seriously about this, I mean it would be so unique and cool!
But then I thought back to my own fights against spirit weapon guards and realized I never lost to one before =/

Im actually beating up some players with that since most are expecting to laugh at SW…. when they realize the fire ticks, f1 to pull target near SW if they are near the caster.

People hate the hammer SW.. Kkittend AA and KD on command… they are only “decent” for 1 vs 1 situations.

some crazy stuff to try out get some cheap exotics

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVEQRAre8dlsAhqgYRQwMIQQEHxDldDehHNjaAslDAA-T1xFQBA4EAcO9A3T9Hcp8bXPAgNs/gHVCSKgJVWB-w

OR instead of using bow get purging flames…

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

Condi guard need help

in Guardian

Ghotistyx.6942

I’d love to see more out of SW, but their uptime makes it a little hard to justify. If they lived until killed that would fix one of the largest issues with the skills. They just aren’t useful enough for their temporary nature.

Fishsticks

Condi guard need help

in Guardian

EremiteAngel.9765

Even better is running 1H Strength, Sword, and Scepter which essentially gives you 45% crit for free (Sword’s Symbol grants Fury with decent uptime). After that, you can still get away with Vipers for the extra precision to help reach 100% burn duration. I’d use enough Dire to reach the amount of Toughness you need, and then use either Vipers or Carrion depending on how much Vitality I feel I needed.

Burn Guard is something very similar to what I run myself. You have everything you really need except maybe some numerical defense.

One powerful burst is: Start in Scepter, use Shield of Wrath 2s before engaging. Chains of Light + Judge’s Intervention, Smite, swap to Sword, Flashing Blade, then double throw Zealot’s Fire. If everything fires you should easily hit 30k+ over 5s, and not much is going to survive that. The nature of Burn Guardian also lends itself well to sustained damage, so your auto attacks will still be applying good pressure. Your weaknesses are being bursted yourself without cooldowns, so just try to never let off the gas. Don’t forget you have a burst every ~10s by double throwing Zealot’s Fire, and Purging Flames is both defensive and a very good offensive option when the enemy has used up condition clears.

Thanks for the tips and build! but litany of wrath? I almost never seen anyone use that!

Condi guard need help

in Guardian

Ghotistyx.6942

It works well in this style of build. The damage to healing conversion also applies to your condition damage and retaliation, so your burn ticks can still heal even if you can’t apply physical damage. But as I mentioned, burst is still a weakness. Shelter remains a good option outside of the unblockable skills. LoW has a higher hps even without dealing damage than Shelter, and unblockable skills are more prevalent.

It’ll be up to you getting a feel for using both and determining which you prefer. Since there’s no Purification option, its a choice between Shelter and LoW.

Fishsticks

(edited by Ghotistyx.6942)

Condi guard need help

in Guardian

Aeolus.3615

I’d love to see more out of SW, but their uptime makes it a little hard to justify. If they lived until killed that would fix one of the largest issues with the skills. They just aren’t useful enough for their temporary nature.

Very true, very true!