Counter duel rangers

Counter duel rangers

in Guardian

Posted by: cassius.5809

cassius.5809

Hi all,

How do you counter long bow Rangers when there is more than one and you’re bunkering down waiting for your team mates? One is fine, use the environment to stop Los. 2 however it’s rare you can position yourself. If there is no way to break Los you literally have to blow all your cool downs in 10 seconds? Any suggestions? Or just run off point and hope they don’t try to cap?

Counter duel rangers

in Guardian

Posted by: Ynna.8769

Ynna.8769

I haven’’t quite figured this out myself, but I’ve had small successes by running of the point out of their range, forcing them into melee combat.

“Come on, hit me!”

Counter duel rangers

in Guardian

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

Wall of Reflection. Anytime I see a team with multiple rangers or engies it gets used. Traited WoR has a very high upkeep time and pretty much nullifies them.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

Counter duel rangers

in Guardian

cassius.5809

Thanks Harbinger, I suppose it makes sense, I use Feedback on my mes when I’m vs Rangers so I guess WoR makes sense.

Counter duel rangers

in Guardian

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

Another thing about WoR most people don’t know about is it’s 360 degree protection. If you look at the wall you see a long rectangle that goes around the whole thing. As long as you stand in it, it’s 360 degree protection.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

Counter duel rangers

in Guardian

Posted by: Ynna.8769

Ynna.8769

This is a great suggestion (and additional thanks for the 360 degree protection tip). I tried it out today and the Rangers didn’t know what hit them.

I did feel it lowered my survivability a bit when fighting other professions, but trade-offs need to be made.

“Come on, hit me!”

Counter duel rangers

in Guardian

cassius.5809

Can also confirm this worked a treat over the weekend. Ended up swapping out hold the line for WoR. Was wary at first losing the condi removal from hold’s traited shout but was totally worth it. Just hilarious watching Rangers melt themselves.

Counter duel rangers

in Guardian

Posted by: AGGabriel.9230

AGGabriel.9230

I swear from the last update the rangers have become almost a perfect guard killer with their LB and GS im a med build and barely barely managing to get close to a ranger get close Point Blank Shot shots me back and stealth to get some distance and pop me with 10 stacks of vulne and the cursed pets one knock down and fear rly (ps the guard dont have long range wep skills and rly makes me swear each time im geting stompt by one qq)

Counter duel rangers

in Guardian

Posted by: Knightmare Legion.9640

Knightmare Legion.9640

I’ve made several theories in countering them: since WoR usually runs out of time and smart and ethical players would learn to stop attacking the moment they see it go up, I came up with a somewhat more effective solution, but it may take some training and getting used to.

Have Scepter/Torch in your swapped set ready. I’m usually able to counter it and kill Rangers faster, ever since they buffed Torch to a lower cooldown. Your Scepter 3 and your Torch 4 are your best weapons against them. Torch 4 will deal a significant amount of damage for Rangers to burn for the rest of their combat phase.

Make sure they dodge and use up most of their endurance before using your Torch 4 Skill and throw the flames directly at them. To ensure that they dodge out and use their endurance: tease them with Scepter 2. Next, you may do either of which is available:

OPTION 1: Follow up with,
Scepter 3,
Torch 4,
SWAP to GS, (By this time, the immob would be gone)
GS 5, then Pull immediately
GS 2, (By this time they might have endurance up by 40 – 60%)
GS 3 (If you have the time)
SWAP back to Scep./T
REPEAT

OPTION 2: Follow up with,
Scepter 3,
SWAP TO GS,
Run and GS 3
GS 2,
GS 5,
Auto Attack Set, (GS 1, GS 1, GS 1) [It’s okay if you miss, just make sure you’re punishing the ranger for you being able to get close]
SWAP to Scept. / T
Scepter 3.
REPEAT

NOTE:
In both options, ensure you have STAND YOUR GROUND ready so that they won’t be able to knock you back as fast. The moment they’re able to keep distance from you, it might be a game over for you, so always remember to keep close.

You may have the option to follow with OPTION 2 and then OPTION 1 because your cooldowns are short in consideration to the recent buffs on Guardian.

Attachments:

Counter duel rangers

in Guardian

Posted by: naphack.9346

naphack.9346

This isn’t the necromancer forum. So why do you necro a dead thread?

The only crime, turrets committed, is being good against the celestial meta.
The mob has spoken and the turrets shall be burnt at the stake.

Counter duel rangers

in Guardian

Posted by: Hunter.4783

Hunter.4783

Never ever ever use torch in PVP, especially as medi.

We are glass as it is and probably with a lower life expectancy than thieves. Focus gives you the breathing room needed to put enough pressure on the ranger before he has time to pushback and pew pew you from the ledge.

WoR is fine but when you are bunkering and there are multiple rangers.

Counter duel rangers

in Guardian

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

Reflection and line of sight are your best bets. Otherwise you have to close the gap on one of them and put reflect between. Make the ranger move is key within your bunker zone. If this is unrated then losing the point and having it set to neutral for a few ticks while you dance is fine while help comes. As long as you get it back and don’t yield it to them or die…

Also check the match before it starts to see who is playing. You have time to swap stuff around.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

Counter duel rangers

in Guardian

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

Never ever ever use torch in PVP, especially as medi.

Torch is fine in PvP on a medi build. You just have to be good with it.