Critique my burst guard (spvp)

in Guardian

Posted by: kekuso.5837

kekuso.5837

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUAQRAsf5dlUgSD3GSOEfYFSmiCMBtFUVIewFc9AiioGC-TwAg0CvIqRVjrGTNyas1MsYZxmgJEA

The idea is to frontload all dps, get a quick stability stomp, and then run to another point to dps, just like a thief/mesmer. Obviously the guardian lacks stealth to retreat, but what the guardian lacks in running away he makes up for in AoE dps, as well as a fair amount of blocks/invuln. I plan to change up the build a little with the new meditation heal and possibly a greatsword variation after the patch.

Anything else I can do to make my guard more successful in melting faces?

in Guardian

Posted by: Superkav.5012

Superkav.5012

By frontloading all dps you mean a heavy burst build, right? If so, I would consider changing mace to scepter, which due to its immobilize will make your burst more reliable and easy to land, in particular if you want to use Unscathed Contender. Otherwise, you may find yourself being kited to hell and just one autoattack will nullify your 20% damage boost.

I am not sure how effective Unscathed Contender is – never really been able to effectively use it myself. Keep in mind that aegis is removed even when you block. Also, since you use Virtue of Courage for quick stomp, you won’t be receiving another aegis (and thus your 20% dmg boost) for 75 sec, which is a long time.

I know stability is close to a must have, but for a build as this I would consider dropping the virtues line completely (perhaps except Inspired Virtues) and take the point up to Radiant power in the Radiance line for another 10% dmg boost. With a bit of timing, you can still stomp by using Virtue of Justice (blind), which would then be renewed after the stomp, or Virtue of Courage (block).

By doing so you may loose the 20% dmg boost, but you would gain 10% from Radiant Power, another 5% (which is going to be boosted during today’s big patch to 10%) from Powerful Blades and Vulnerability from Blind Exposure (up to x15 with scepter), totally increasing your damage with up to 35%.

in Guardian

Posted by: kekuso.5837

kekuso.5837

Thanks for the feedback! I like unscathed contender because you can pre-cast Focus 5 and Mace 2 and then teleport in for instant burst, then cycle through mace 3, sword 3, and torch 4 (time it after their dodge). In between I can sometimes blind them with VoJ and Sword 2 so that Unscathed Contender still procs, but I do see the problem with using Virtue of Courage for the damage bonus vs. using it for stability…can’t have both

I will definitely try taking 15 pts from Virtues and putting it into Radiance for the 10% extra sword damage. Maybe I’ll swap out the runes for Lyssa runes since stability is so necessary in this meta.

And lastly, I’m interested in seeing the numbers for the new Zeal V – Shattered Aegis since that would be a nice addition to my build – either have 20% extra damage or damage my foe when Aegis is removed!

in Guardian

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

if you want, you could always give one of the tried and tested burst builds a shot. the standard was 10/30/30/0/0 but a more sustainable version is 0/30/30/5/5. especially with two one handed weapon sets, i’d highly recommend taking up Right Hand Strength, which means a full radiance line.

i personally play a mace/torch + scepter/focus variant. i used to play sword/torch + scepter/focus (like Superkav said, scepter really helps against kiters, as well as insta-immob helps with landing burst). though since i’ve switch to mace, i’ve enver turned back to sword. mace has way higher AoE burst and mace burst is instant, so you can technically land ALL of your burst within the span of 1 – 2 seconds. whereas with sword 3, it’s a channel and easily dodgeable. most of the time i’ve been ont he receiving end of sword 3, unless if i was stun locked, you really only take maybe 25% of the damage or not even if yuo dodge / block earlier. but of course, sword 2 is invaluable and auto chain hits faster than mace. though i don’t find it all that difficult landing my mace AA’s.

i’ve been playing more PvP recently as well and yes stability is a godsend i really only slot it if skyhammer comes up. other times i use the same bar as you do, and playing with 10/30/30/0/0 since i’m only really hotjoining lately. use blinds (which sword 2 can help with as well) from VoJ or focus 4 to help or blocks, aegis and focus 5 to help secure stomps. scepter is nice as well cause you can always drop scepter 2 on an already downed enemy for whenever someone else joins the fray so you can keep them down while you focus on the new guy.

also helps if you learn the tells for each class’ down state skills, practice letting them fire off their #2 and learn to dodge them (example guardian raises hand, or green/black avatar pops up over necro). also, more often than not people will almost always hit their number 2 RIGHT when they get downed, if not, right when you start the finishing animation. always fun to dodge out of another guard’s bubble without risk getting bursted down by nearby enemies or chain CC-ed XDD

you can switch out the divinity runes, but your defensive stats will be slightly squishier. though having another full condi cleanse from lyssa can be to die for at times. i’ve actually been experimenting with them as well, but settled on Speed runes for now for the extra vit as well as the run speed while roaming.

if you do go further down the radiance, might is uggest switching for a sigil of force onto the set that you’ll be landing most of your burst with? for example, i have it on my mace torch set since i pre-queue focus 5 and switch over to this set, so focus 5, torch 4, mace 3 are all on this set so it benefits from the extra 5% damage. just thinking out loud again.

unscathed is nice for the initial burst as well but even if you’re JI-ing onto someone, nearby cleaves or AoEs could easily remove your aegis before you even land your main burst so it’s not all that reliable. even in PvE it’s really only nice to have when you have no other traits to take and you’re already invested in the line. and in PvP, we don’t get that much room and rarely will you say “i’ve no better traits to take” ; ))

hope this helps a little too, coming from another burst guard (for fun).

[added: oops wrote more than i expected to :PPP]

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

(edited by akamon.2769)

in Guardian

Posted by: khefka.2804

khefka.2804

Thanks for the feedback! I like unscathed contender because you can pre-cast Focus 5 and Mace 2 and then teleport in for instant burst, then cycle through mace 3, sword 3, and torch 4 (time it after their dodge).

I’m pretty sure Aegis gets removed even if you have focus 5 shield up (not sure about mace 3) but blind should still work to keep UC up.

in Guardian

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

^^ it works the same with mace 3 as well i think. so definitely blind to keep up UC if you do keep using it.

side note, hiding focus shield inside mace shield is fun

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall