Critiques on a roaming build

in Guardian

Posted by: Teerlys.5630

Teerlys.5630

My fiance is a gamer, but she’s a casual gamer that puts a lot of hours in. She doesn’t like it when gaming gets overly complicated and her eyes tend to glaze over when I start talking about build strategy. She’s been maining a guardian since launch, and while mostly a PvE player, she is unhappy with her current build in WvW for when she wants to hop in and play with me (mostly small scale havoc style). She asked that I put something together for her that met certain criteria which were:

- It needs to be fast. She felt like she was being left behind in WvW and getting run over because of it. The Staff run speed buff wasn’t doing the trick.
- She felt like she was dieing too quickly in comparison to other guardians we run into in open field.
- She felt like she couldn’t get enough damage out to the people she fights in the open field.
- It needs to be fairly simple to be effective with. She’s not going to know which tactics to adjust for fighting certain builds.
- It still needs to be good in PvE which is where she spends most of her time.

So I spent some time playing around with a build that would meet those criteria, and wanted to get some feedback on it before I have her start regearing. Thanks for any help.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUAQNAR8elYgKCnFyvDf4EhVBCi9AjZsjXPSoDlIA-jECBYgCyEGBi+AO5RZNBSQsMsIas6aYKXER1CBYeBA-w

in Guardian

Posted by: ChioChip.5970

ChioChip.5970

Cleric or PVT and x/x/30/30/x and Shouts.
This is the most easy to play and hard to kill setup.

Use retreat and staff and you almost got perma swiftness for you and your group.

in Guardian

Posted by: toaster messiah.7320

toaster messiah.7320

Soldier or Cleric armor with berserker accesories and stuff is both tanky and helps with damage.

For weapons, go GS and Sword/Focus. Both have good damage; GS 3 and Sword 2 help with mobility; Focus helps you survive with 5.

For speed, take Traveler runes. They may be a little expensive at the moment, but they are highly effective for roaming.

For utilities, I’d go triple meditation (all but merciful intervention); or 2 meds and 1 shout (smite condi, judge’s inter. and Stand your ground). The trait change for meditations which gives you fury is pretty useful for dps builds, and condi removal with mobility is nice against thiefs, mesmers and engis, you’ll fight them a lot when roaming.

If you go meditations build, 30 in Valor is pretty much mandatory. 5 in Virtues is almost always a must. If you take Stand your ground, 10 in honor is good for shout cd reduction. Can also invest 10 more for Empowering Might; good for group play. Remaining points can be invested anywhere up to your preference on more offense or defense.

in Guardian

Posted by: Orthas.4937

Orthas.4937

Newguy – GOM

I play when I can and help who I can

in Guardian

Posted by: Carpboy.7145

Carpboy.7145

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUAQRArd8flUgiD3GSNEfIFRuArHA8g+DXw1DIGxGC-jUCB4fDimoI0EBBK9pIasNDFRjVrETDDQFbR1W0FRrWKA9UGB-w

Right hand strength wont show on your character sheet, so you actually have 52% crit chance, before fury. 3k armor and 15k health, combined with all the blocks and blinds you can put out, as well as a 2k heal on every meditation use, (the shortest one being 16sec, best used as another big damager with a condition on you) make this a very survivable build. Remember to use the shield on focus not for defense, but for offense. When it explodes, it can do upwards of 7k on glassies. Im not sure if you know, but you wanna precast it before a fight, and a split second before it explodes cast the immob on scepter and JI. Nearly half their health will be gone, and they’ll be immobilized.

The Use of the Word ‘Cheese’
Lyss The Shadow
Legendary Champion of DB [EDGE]

(edited by Carpboy.7145)

in Guardian

Posted by: Painbow.6059

Painbow.6059

the build linked above is great for roaming, but I would try to find another way to get in a bit more crit chance, traveler runes are GREAT for roaming on mediation builds. They make you very quick, high damage and versatile

in Guardian

Posted by: Bash.7291

Bash.7291

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUAQRArd5PlUg67WFSLkiIXgNjAiwqCxD7BGhfHB-jEzAY/khtCEaL0EEEySgoChO7psmAFErsFRjVvgpUJiq9GFRrWKglUGB-w

This is my current Roaming/dueling spec. It is a bit more hybrid based, and better at dealing with more annoying condition specs due to dual condition shout removal, and food, If you know you are about to fight something that isn’t a condition based build you can always switch food for power/per of tough/perc food. Also You can switch out hold the line at any point for either signet of judgement for the passive defense/active weakness. Or also retreat if you need to get around the field a bit faster. also, you can switch torch/focus to match either scepter/mace depending on how you want to play, as torch does work with the ranged abilities of scepter. I use it with mace simply because I like to precast torch #4 when someone is about to get into range so i can get the 20% extra damage bonus for mace #3, which can hit like a truck.

Also just a note, none of the gear in that build is ascended, I am sure a better stat layout can be made by mixing/matching the right pieces, but I always find it better to show builds with exotics because they are easily available to everyone.

Living Dead Girl ~ Necro
[Rev]

(edited by Bash.7291)

in Guardian

Posted by: Hunter.4783

Hunter.4783

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUAQRArd5PlUg67WFSLkiIXgNjAiwqCxD7BGhfHB-jEzAY/khtCEaL0EEEySgoChO7psmAFErsFRjVvgpUJiq9GFRrWKglUGB-w

This is my current Roaming/dueling spec. It is a bit more hybrid based, and better at dealing with more annoying condition specs due to dual condition shout removal, and food, If you know you are about to fight something that isn’t a condition based build you can always switch food for power/per of tough/perc food. Also You can switch out hold the line at any point for either signet of judgement for the passive defense/active weakness. Or also retreat if you need to get around the field a bit faster. also, you can switch torch/focus to match either scepter/mace depending on how you want to play, as torch does work with the ranged abilities of scepter. I use it with mace simply because I like to precast torch #4 when someone is about to get into range so i can get the 20% extra damage bonus for mace #3, which can hit like a truck.

Also just a note, none of the gear in that build is ascended, I am sure a better stat layout can be made by mixing/matching the right pieces, but I always find it better to show builds with exotics because they are easily available to everyone.

That’s a downright terrible build. I don’t understand when people will realise that shouts = bad for roaming.

Where to start…No mobility, no burst, mediocre sustain, and the most important one….you have absolutely no pressure. What this means is that anyone can easily kite you, or run away to their hearts content and get away with it.

What you need for a successful roaming guardian is :
1) traveler runes
2) IJ
3) GS, Hammer or both

if you don’t have at least 2 of the above, don’t even bother. Also I would strongly recommend meditations for solo roaming as your healing output will be much much higher while allowing you to pressure and chase.

in Guardian

Carpboy.7145

the build linked above is great for roaming, but I would try to find another way to get in a bit more crit chance, traveler runes are GREAT for roaming on mediation builds. They make you very quick, high damage and versatile

53% is more than enough. Remember all the weapons are one handed, so RHS is another 15% crit chance that doesn’t show on the character sheet. With fury thats 73%

Lyss The Shadow

in Guardian

Posted by: Zach.3264

Zach.3264

I run PVT gear with Cleric trinkets. Soldier Hammer and Staff. 0 15 30 20 5. Altruistic healing combined with larger symbols and AoE might on crits. You heal an absolute ton in group play. The damage is also great given you’re such high survivability.

Oop, forgot to mention. I also use Traveler runes myself. They are a bit costly but definitely worth it. You can always use runes of Speed which are far cheaper, but 2/6 of the bonuses are pretty horrible. You gain a nice 1.5k health or something from those, but obviously the +25% movement is what you’re after.

(edited by Zach.3264)

in Guardian

Carpboy.7145

Sorry for the double post, but this is another good roaming build, slightly tanker than my last, but less damage.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/external?l=http%3A%2F%2Fgw2skills.net%2Feditor%2F%3FfUAQNAS8dlUgiD3GSNEf4ERVh4h9QjZ0jXPgYEbIA-j0CBYfCyEFwEHAEBQJQFRjtYqIas6aYKXAqXQqYK1W0FRrWIABLAA-w

When building your guard, try to get 2000 power, 35-50% crit chance (before RHS or fury), 60-100% crit dmg, 15-18k health, 2800-3200 armor, and i like to get 300-600 healing power.

Lyss The Shadow

in Guardian

Posted by: khefka.2804

khefka.2804

I don’t understand when people will realise that shouts = bad for roaming.

Agreed on your other points, but a utility bar with JI/SyG/SY is strong (unless necro). The reduced damage from protection uptime plus the boon heals feel comparable with the sustain of burst med heals. Hammer seems more important in this type of build though for more control since generally your burst won’t be as strong. Great build to hang out around cliffs with though.

in Guardian

Bash.7291

I originally had a nice rant defending my build here, but honestly this isn’t the place for it. All I am going to say is if you didn’t try it don’t bash it.

Living Dead Girl ~ Necro
[Rev]

(edited by Bash.7291)

in Guardian

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

I think with new heal fury will become more accessible. Pvt with clerics as others mentioned with a sprinkle of knights. With a higher fury uptime pvt guards will be beastly. I’m thinking sword focus hammer. 2 meditations and 2 shouts.

in Guardian

Bash.7291

Something I have seen missing ALOT in these builds is condition removal. Even more so with the newer thief meta of P/D plex, How do any of these builds handle condition builds at all…

Living Dead Girl ~ Necro
[Rev]

in Guardian

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

Melandru + lemongrass are my baseline. SoR and purity. And then few shouts here and there. Oh and 21k base hp. I found this to be more survivable than my cleric with 1600 healing power plus damage is way better. Looking forward to slotting the new heal with JI

in Guardian

Carpboy.7145

Something I have seen missing ALOT in these builds is condition removal. Even more so with the newer thief meta of P/D plex, How do any of these builds handle condition builds at all…

Smite condition on a 16 sec CD, and CoP on a 48 sec cd, combined with a 2k heal every time you use them. Dont bash it if you haven’t tried it

Lyss The Shadow

in Guardian

Posted by: ZoroDaOtter.3859

ZoroDaOtter.3859

You could try mixing Valk armor + speed runes (14.6k HP [with passive WvW world buffs should be around 15-16k] and perma 25% speed increase) with either Knight or Zerker trinkets / weapons. If she’s comfortable with that much HP a 0/30/30/5/5 build with Smite Conditions, Contemplation of Purity, and Judge’s Intervention will be suitable for high damage.

in Guardian

Bash.7291

Smite condition on a 16 sec CD, and CoP on a 48 sec cd, combined with a 2k heal every time you use them. Dont bash it if you haven’t tried it

…. LOL how cute. 1 condition cleanse every 16 seconds, and a condition wipe every 48 does not deal with a condition build. Also, if you bothered to look at my post history at all, I am not new to this profession. I have posted several roaming builds in the past, and tried ALOT of things that most people haven’t. If you think I haven’t tried the cookie cutter roaming builds your sadly mistaken.

Living Dead Girl ~ Necro
[Rev]

in Guardian

Posted by: K U T M.4539

K U T M.4539

…. LOL how cute. 1 condition cleanse every 16 seconds, and a condition wipe every 48 does not deal with a condition build. Also, if you bothered to look at my post history at all, I am not new to this profession. I have posted several roaming builds in the past, and tried ALOT of things that most people haven’t. If you think I haven’t tried the cookie cutter roaming builds your sadly mistaken.

Lyssa runes. CoP. Smite Condition. Traited virtue. Focus 4.

Guard has condi removal easy.

Basic [BS] NSP/Mag

in Guardian

Bash.7291

I never said that guardians don’t have ways to remove conditions, I said that 2 condition removers are not going to be enough against the current condition builds. I am starting to remember why I stopped posting in these forums for a while when people can’t seem to actually read what you type.

Living Dead Girl ~ Necro
[Rev]

in Guardian

Posted by: K U T M.4539

K U T M.4539

I never said that guardians don’t have ways to remove conditions, I said that 2 condition removers are not going to be enough against the current condition builds. I am starting to remember why I stopped posting in these forums for a while when people can’t seem to actually read what you type.

I run with less condition removal than the guy you replied to does.

You don’t actually NEED god-tier condition removal to fight a condi build.

Basic [BS] NSP/Mag

in Guardian

Carpboy.7145

I run with less condition removal than the guy you replied to does.

You don’t actually NEED god-tier condition removal to fight a condi build.

So here’s where i drag this off topic, but are you still on ET? I got a second account recently so this is just my forum account lol. But it’d be cool if we face you guys again any time soon to duel and hang out.

Lyss The Shadow

in Guardian

Posted by: Lurock Turoth.9085

Lurock Turoth.9085

This is the roaming build I use.

It has
Great condi clear
Excellent mobility
Very good dps
Good healing
and best of all you don’t need bunches of ascended gear for it to be viable and its not even that expensive thanks to not using travelers!

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUAQNAsfRlYgSDHHyNEf4ESmCDEBtUQQA01DIKiaIA-jkyAYLBRqBMhBkIEo0XR0YLmFRjV1gpKXUtyEwdUEtahAEtAA-w

Angst Hex, [FLOT] BG Havoc/Roaming
http://www.twitch.tv/disasterdrew

in Guardian

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

i think what Bash is talking about is being able to handle ANY condition builds. i’ve played against certain conditions build that i just shrug off. and then there are gusy who just stack conditions upon conditions upon you such that well-timed CoP’s or lyssa runes or whatever else won’t save you.

not claiming to be a good player – just trying to illustrate that there are varous levels of play by any given build, any given player, so there’s no harm in trying to prep for the worst. especially when in fact, the chances of running into awesome condi builds are quite high nowadays.

and what if you run into two players with condi builds, or even 3?

it’s tough though, especially when you’re up against condi tanks. you need enough dmg to down them, but you also need to be able to sustain through their barrage of condi’s.

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in Guardian

Carpboy.7145

i think what Bash is talking about is being able to handle ANY condition builds. i’ve played against certain conditions build that i just shrug off. and then there are gusy who just stack conditions upon conditions upon you such that well-timed CoP’s or lyssa runes or whatever else won’t save you.

not claiming to be a good player – just trying to illustrate that there are varous levels of play by any given build, any given player, so there’s no harm in trying to prep for the worst. especially when in fact, the chances of running into awesome condi builds are quite high nowadays.

and what if you run into two players with condi builds, or even 3?

it’s tough though, especially when you’re up against condi tanks. you need enough dmg to down them, but you also need to be able to sustain through their barrage of condi’s.

Thing is, if you go all out anti condition youll suck against everything else. If you run into 2 or even 3 players, your odds of winning are already extremely slim. It doesn’t matter if theyre running condi or not. A common mistake is that people think you can’t dodge, block, or blind conditions. Once you get good at doing that with the big condi nuke attacks, youll find you dont need half as much condi removal.

Lyss The Shadow

in Guardian

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

of course, thus i put in that last paragraph. i didn’t spell it out word for word but all i was saying is that you have to take balance. and with gw2 it can be a very fine balance.

i will always try to blind, block, dodge, invuln incoming conditions before i have to cleanse them. but again some classes or players out there can throw them on you all day every day with little to no effort. yes our greatest defenses come in many forms, but there are some builds that completely shut that down. or people that will hit you with a crap ton of condi’s with or without regard to yuor defensive cooldowns.

i’m not proposing going for as much condi cleanse as possible. nor would i propose that. if you go extreme anything, you’re probably gonna have a bad time in this game. every person with every build will have a personal threshold for condi cleansing (as well as damage, armor, vitality, every single stat in this game). i was merely trying to explain where Bash was coming from. if i’m right or not, that’s another story. now i don’t know which server you’re on Carp : )) perhaps the server he plays against run way heavier condi builds that what anyone else has run across.

plus, you can always switch on the fly as long as you’re OOC. if i know i’m gonna be in a small group fight, i’ll switch my utilities traits or even gear around to rise up to the occasions to best serve any given scanerio i can expect. if i see a necro or engi coming up, i’ll probs try to bring more anti condi measures. if i’m up against a warrior, and i can see him coming from a mile down with a hammer slung across his shoulders, i’ll be sure to maybe slot in some stability before i engage.

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall