Current State of Game: Guardians

in Guardian

Posted by: AdamGw.5831

AdamGw.5831

Can somebody give me a run down of the current state of guardians? Are they needed? Useful for more than just running in first and WoR (wall of reflection)

*Note: When I switched to warrior, that ^ was all guardians were kinda good for… Then i left the game for a few months. But the new living story season 2 is making me want to jump back in…

in Guardian

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

?? Guardians were never just for that. But again, last year the community (myself included) were really bad at understanding the game and each professions lol.

For dungeon, guardian have a pretty good DPS and bring the best defensive support. They are there for damage mitigation : blind, aegis, reflect, condi removal and protection. They boost the group overall dmg by keeping everybody at 90% + hp to trigger things like Rune of scholar.

For WvW Zerg, guardian with warrior still form the backbone of any zerg. They good a good burst for a tanky profession and are the main source of stability, boons and condi removal, which serve the melee train well.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

in Guardian

Posted by: igmolicious.5986

igmolicious.5986

I’ll preface this with the statement that I am by no means an expert on guardians, but I’ve leveled two of them to 80 using different methods and they are definitely useful more than than just a couple of their utility skills. Overall, it seems to me that guardians to a really good job of serving a hybrid role. My current guardian is built somewhat selfishly (using an AH focused build, but providing some support traits as well), but serves as a damage dealer and boss occupier. Sitting around 3k armor with perma-protection and 10% damage reduction seems to allow me to keep the boss’ attention, but the traits, skills, power and precision allow me to dish out respectable damage and keep myself and my teammates alive. My warrior has certain builds that are more survivable, BUT they sacrifice a lot in the damage dealing department. Guardians seem to be a happy balance of heavy-hitting (though mostly slow) attacks and defense. The major drawback is the severly limited ranged options. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve felt useless in battles where ranged is the only option slowly plinking away with a scepter or staff.

in Guardian

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Can somebody give me a run down of the current state of guardians? Are they needed? Useful for more than just running in first and WoR (wall of reflection)

*Note: When I switched to warrior, that ^ was all guardians were kinda good for… Then i left the game for a few months. But the new living story season 2 is making me want to jump back in…

Aegis, Stability, and Walls are probably the 3 main reasons to bring a guardian over something else. However that’s far from all I can do.

On top of that I have blinds only rivaled by Thief I believe. Never underestimate blinds. I have Line of warding which is amazing on a pile of trash. I have Condition Cleanses which are vital in some situations. I have swiftness, while very readily available really, I do find in PUGs most don’t do it… I have some group healing in a pinch. Perma Prot as an option. And then Might and Vuln stacking, while hardly the best it’s enough to top off what others are putting on.

Then we can do decent damage while doing all of that. No need to sacrifice our DPS for most of that. Sure perma prot means hammer camping, but even that isn’t too big of a DPS loss. Personally I LOVE guardian. It’s exactly what I expect from it. It has the tools to support my group. And just a solid profession. Sure it may not be in every speed clear like a warrior/ele but it has it’s place, and it’s never a bad choice, perhaps not the BEST for a given dungeon but it’s never bad and can really make things a lot easier in a lot of situations.

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I think you should stick to warrior if you think the only use Guardian has ever had was WoR totem. It’s perfectly suited for people with that focused level of thinking.

in Guardian

Posted by: agentmooncat.5134

agentmooncat.5134

I feel Like people are getting away from support guards in the new meta, which is unfortunate. In the big blob game it really dosnt matter much but of you want to roam with a group of friends a full support guard can make all the difference. So, if you’re new and have a group of friends who want to break away from the blob make one person in your group support guard. Will take you far and the guard will find the healing support very challenging granted – it takes effort but when you master it there is nothing better than playing the support guard while you and your team rips up pug zergs

in Guardian

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

Support guard? pfft.

Dead people can’t hurt your friends.

in Guardian

Posted by: mPascoal.4258

mPascoal.4258

Best class in game! No more feedback needed

Phask - Guardian/DH | Phaskk - Warrior | Phaask - Revenant

in Guardian

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

I feel Like people are getting away from support guards in the new meta, which is unfortunate.

Support guard? pfft.
Dead people can’t hurt your friends.

Slow down. Meta guardian don’t have support?? It the other way around. Several meta exist but here some trait that some meta use.

- Master of consecreation : Better support
- Inspired Virtues : Better support
- Absolute Resolution (group condi removal) : Better support
- Superior Aria : Better support
- Writ of Persistance (for perma protection ) : Better support
- Justice is Blind and Renewed Justice : Better support
- Blind exposure : Better support

Meta guardian have good dps, but the main reason to bring that in a speed run is for the group support. Blind, Aegis, Reflect, etc to keep not only your team safe, but also keep it at 90%+ hp for better overall dps.

The meta guardian is DPS/Support. Just not tanky/support (less good for your team) or healing/support (not really good).

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

in Guardian

agentmooncat.5134

I was speaking for WvW – competition has become ez-mode with the influx of new players and most of the (good) old players leaving the game. Just a suggestion for new players who want to step away from the Zerg and enjoy a skilled game. I don’t think I have done a dungeon in a year and a half so I can’t speak to those builds but WvW… Its been ez-mode for the most part of the last year and a lot of it’s been because everyone is hoping their opponent melts before they can counter. So if your new and want to be more competitive than not I would suggest someone play a support guard.

in Guardian

Posted by: Meluna.1764

Meluna.1764

Does AH still get play? Is there an updated version? Some of my traits have seemed to move.

in Guardian

Posted by: igmolicious.5986

igmolicious.5986

Does AH still get play? Is there an updated version? Some of my traits have seemed to move.

It’s part of my current guardian build, but I would never claim to have a great build. I mostly run it with empowering might to compensate for my low hp. I don’t think it’s been updated, but I didn’t use it much on my old guardian. It’s around 75 hp/boon, which seems to be better healing than zealous blade in most situations for me.

Edit: This is my current actual build. I’m still working on laurels to buy precision-based knights trinkets to replace the two exotics I still have.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fVQQJASRl0ApWoFCxRI0uNR8AVVAweKb5/XHjjcDA-ThCBwA12fYryiuKFQrEUpSsFmYkcJAwp+DgnAQLdBAA-e

(edited by igmolicious.5986)

in Guardian

agentmooncat.5134

In WvW? I like to use it sometimes, depending on the group setup and how we are playing- I like the 0-5-30-30-5 GS/ sword shield set up.

in Guardian

Posted by: Meluna.1764

Meluna.1764

Awesomesauce, thx for the updated build. I can tweak it from here =)

in Guardian

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

I feel Like people are getting away from support guards in the new meta, which is unfortunate.

It is also hilarious because Anet’s drive and focus for Guardians is stated support.

Oh, that and they’re “in a good place.”

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

in Guardian

Jerus.4350

It is also hilarious because Anet’s drive and focus for Guardians is stated support.

The downfall of support is that you have to trust that your team will make use of that support. Sometimes it’s easier to just not trust them and bring the damage yourself.

The fact that we have the choice tells me we’re in a pretty good place.

Wanted in zergs in WvW
Wanted in small groups in WvW
Able to solo roam in WvW
Pretty decent in SPvP
Key part of fractal groups
Great addition to any dungeon run

Not all classes can say that.

in Guardian

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

The downfall of support is that you have to trust that your team will make use of that support. Sometimes it’s easier to just not trust them and bring the damage yourself.

Wanted in zergs in WvW
Able to solo roam in WvW
Pretty decent in SPvP

I’m not saying we aren’t. But what that means for us is no significant changes or additions because that would mess up the “good place.”

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

in Guardian

Jerus.4350

Wanted in zergs in WvW
Able to solo roam in WvW
Pretty decent in SPvP

I’m not saying we aren’t. But what that means for us is no significant changes or additions because that would mess up the “good place.”

At this point I don’t know, I’m scared with the recent changes to some reflects. Seems like as much as we are “in a good place” they don’t mind lowering that place a bit.

But yeah /shrug I love my guard, when I want a change of pace I’ll play one of those inferior professions

in Guardian

agentmooncat.5134

Yeah- some of the changes that they have us are just dumb and I still can’t justify using the strength line :/ I don’t mind too much though- if I feel like doing somthing else I just change classes- however, the new condi meta isn’t to bad in WvW right now- I have played against some really nasty burn builds since the last update.

in Guardian

Posted by: Devik.9852

Devik.9852

If Middle Earth were under attack and I needed to transform into one identity like a freaking Power Ranger.. I’d go Guardian.

A Guardian can handle absolutely everything in game.. even PVP.