Dark Templar

Dark Templar

in Guardian

Posted by: Arlandaes.2398

Arlandaes.2398

Hello,

Just reading about the new heal skill mechanics, I was wondering if anyone had already tried to construct a build that would rely on leeches to kep health up.

I come from Age of Conan, where I had lot of fun on a class called Dark Templar, which is a Tank / dps with lots of leeches to keep him alive.

Wonder if such a build would be viable in GW2…..

Dark Templar

in Guardian

Posted by: fadeaway.2807

fadeaway.2807

What game play are we talking? Pve, pvp , wvw?

Dark Templar

in Guardian

Posted by: Painbow.6059

Painbow.6059

in gw2 you got full dps while using means of utility to keep people alive better, in pve there is no such thing as tanking and defensive gear is useless because in low end pve (just dungeons) they are face rollable anyway, and in say fractals 40+ stuff 1 hits you anyway so full dps is best

Dark Templar

in Guardian

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUAQNAR8fnQElGacIuhwHaCJTxKhgVKin756BEFRNEA-jExAEEYCDAFCqcWENWpAMXYE-w

Something like this is probably what you’re thinking about. I believe someone made something similar awhile back and they did well with it. This is mainly for WvW and PvP.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

Dark Templar

in Guardian

Posted by: Nefejrangh.2584

Nefejrangh.2584

i was thinking about this spec :

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUAQJARWnQEVFafHmhgJaioSR8uHmCMC/rHJkiME-j0yAofA0GE9JQZxioxWGDSbYas6FM1pgsSNpejBN7SSqMAMLA-w

You will heal yourself with:
-Greatsword damage
-AH, each time you will apply a boon on an ally, with EM crit hit= buff might aoe
-Virtute of resolve passive
-New heal in a offensive inc
-Regen when its up
-2 staff skill
-Doge roll
I’will test this in game in future atm its just an idea

(edited by Nefejrangh.2584)

Dark Templar

in Guardian

Posted by: foofad.5162

foofad.5162

I wouldn’t use that sixth slot Vampirism bonus. It has a habit of breaking your channels and stuff.

Using leech food, runes, and sigils isn’t a bad idea. It can work well in duels and small scale PvP. It’s really counterproductive in PvE though, and in a zerg it’s not going to be noticeable.

Eilir Eirasdottir, Guardian, Tarnished Coast
Painbow.6059: Ignore what anyone else who doesn’t agree with me has said because its wrong.

Dark Templar

in Guardian

Posted by: Bash.7291

Bash.7291

I had an old build that was based around leaching, It was ok for roaming. Might go back and re-do it because it was not min/maxed very well. Also, Vamp runes in general are not very worth it, simply because we do not have a Low CD heal. However, If you can find a way to add a bit of healing power and 15 points into honor you can add pure of heart (heal on aegis break) and Selfless daring (heal on dodge) to give you some nice extra healing along with the leaching.

Living Dead Girl ~ Necro
[Rev]

Dark Templar

in Guardian

Posted by: Brutaly.6257

Brutaly.6257

hey cool to see a fellow DT. i was the third pvp 10 dt on eu servers and loved the concept that the more damage you do the better you survive.

There are multiple similarities between dt and guardians:
Worst mobility
Low healthpool (DT had lowest amongst soldiers)
Active skills for survivability instead of passive stats like helthpool and mitigation even though dt could mitigate well enough.
Rather bad cc.

Back after game release i actually tried to get a similar playstyle out of my guardian and its absolutely doable and also fun.

The back bone is omnomberry (life tap food) and sigil of blood. These stacks so with high crit chance you will get back approx 340 health every 2 seconds from crits. This is actually no bad at all.

Runes of vampyrism is rubbish tbh. The life leech from them are mediocre and i would invest in rune of speed or hoelbrok instead. Speed for vitality and mobility and hoelbrak for the reduced condi.

Weapons ofc, you only need one sword in true templar style and luckily the cooldowns are low and mobility ok so you dont need to swap to a second main hand. The sword you fit with sigil of blood and the shield and focus are fitted with sigil of leeching which leeches life when you swap. Mind you, you only need one sword and shield and focus and when you swap only the focus/shield are swapped if the second main hand slot is empty.

DTs weapons where shield and talisman and here you get shield and focus. One advise, check for a focus called “Adam”, its just pure dark Templar.

You can also use mace ofc as templars do but the playstyle with mace isnt templar at all and is also to slow to trigger food and sigils for leeching.

DTs are all about crit (Void of madness) and so are guardians as well. So trait wise you need to go for right hand strength to get very good crit chance which also increases your chance to leech. The stats in the build is without right hand strength and fury.

So your overall crit chance is about 65% and 20% extra from fury/meditations when bursting.

And for even more crit go meditations and 30 points in valor which also adds condi removal and some mobility and ability to escape with judges intervention.

5 points in honor for more survivability and 5 points in virtues because those are to good to miss out on.

Ofc you can use a scepter as ranged option and just fit a sigil of blood in the scepter as well.

Armor, well i would go full knights, those are the ones that can exploit the low healthpool and the leeching best and are also most true to the dt-koncept.

Triple meditations ofc and you can swap the healing skill for shelter but the new worthless meditation heal suits the dt concept. Works like pact of blood and we all know how situational that one is.

Renewed focus as elite ofc.

Here is my dark templar a la GW2. And you also find some pics below.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUAQNAs9enQElGabIyhwHiiIXg1DAeQ/hL46BEjYDB-jgCBofC0EGAUIhO3UIN7UasYqIasalYKXCyqYJ1grIa1CBUeBA-e

Dont be fooled by the low health pool, this cookie is tough. Avoid large scale battles though.

And best of all, the more damage you do the better you survive. Recognize the concept? :-)

Attachments:

(edited by Brutaly.6257)

Dark Templar

in Guardian

Posted by: fadeaway.2807

fadeaway.2807

I only bothered using litany of wrath once.

In a fairly high fractal, I took a hit and needed to heal.
Cast litany.

Ooh boss is charging another attack.
Better dodge.
Oh, my heal duration is gone.

Unequip litany.

Dark Templar

in Guardian

Posted by: Arlandaes.2398

Arlandaes.2398

Thanks Brutaly for the ideas … I think you got close to what I was thinking of.
Just a bit sad that the main leech would come from foodstuff and not innate abilities of the guardian. What is the armor on the pics ?

I will post as well when I have reached some build that I am confortable with.

BTW, on what sever were you on ? Only 2 lvl 10 DTs I remember were Sygma (from Stygia if I am correct) and Chass.

Dark Templar

in Guardian

Posted by: Brutaly.6257

Brutaly.6257

Yeah its unfortunate that its from food mainly but the similarities with dt is actually rather big.

chass was on crom i think.

Sygma was on some rp server and i was on the pvp server, fury. Brutalshadow was my nick.

I was pvp 10 before sygma. I think Blacksoul and Nemacysta beat me to it but they were frequent bori cappers.